Author Topic: Tod Writes! (Writing Shorts and more!)  (Read 156 times)

Offline TodTheFox

• Licensed Lazy Loiterer
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 49
  • Fursona Species: Red Fox
Tod Writes! (Writing Shorts and more!)
« on: July 02, 2017, 04:20:30 am »
So I thought I'd open up a new thread to start posting some of my better writing pieces that have been gathering dust in the ol' vault. Pretty soon I will start posting entirely new short pieces as well but there are just a few that have been in my google drive for awhile now not getting used for anything or available anywhere to read. Speaking here's the post:

Awhile back I prepared this short writing piece as part of an application for a Freelance position but that position was ultimately filled before I finished my application. It'd be a shame for it go to waste so I went back to finish my revisions on it. Now I am posting it here because why not. :fox-;): Anyway it's about vengeful spirits and has something a message nestled in with most of my writing though here it's quite a bit more obvious.

The Wraith:
Forged by the fires of malice in the crucible hatred the Wraith is the unseen terror of the night. Wrought from the slaughter of an innocent and born of malevolence. They are ever consumed by a ceaseless hunger for revenge. Tainted by the the wicked deed the spirits very being is twisted and gnarled. Becoming a foul perversion of the former self truly unrecognizable. Their every thought and action driven by the gnawing need to extract their vengeance. Fervently embracing its newfound purpose the Wraith gives itself fully into its anger. All the while the pain of its passing incessantly tears at every fiber of its being.

Banished by the rising sun the Wraiths stalk only in the night finding solace in the darkness. Hovering just above the ground Wraiths glide effortlessly the air seemingly oblivious to the world around them. A cold dead silence follows in the wake broken only by their soft hissing. Their figures draped in torn black robes distorted by shadows rising off of them like smoke.

A lone Wraith could appear almost docile as it drifted through the endless darkness. Though such could never be further from the truth. Upon sighting a target or being provoked a Wraiths internal rage becomes overpowering. So much so it unleashes it’s fury in an ear-piercing screech as it shifts in Dread Wraith. Their shadowy form erupting into a violent maelstrom like a raging fire. Blazing Red eyes prying into the spirits of all those that meet their gaze and instilling blood curdling fear. They fight with relentless fury and precision strikes and an unholy determination. Charging through the air from foe to foe effortlessly cutting them down leaving a trail of mutilated corpses. Consumed by a rage so strong not even the death of their target could quell the Dread Wraiths wrath. They would continue on a massacre attacking indiscriminately at any and all life around them until being banished again by sunlight.

If a Wraith should truly claim its retribution an even greater suffering awaited it. Forever consumed by their anger the gates of the afterlife are closed to them. Condemning them to an eternity of perpetual agony trapped between worlds. Reapers as they are referred to remain in a constant state of fury locked in the Dread Wraith state indefinitely. Reapers go on to ruthlessly pursue an ultimate revenge against the world that cast them out. Chief among all Reapers, Dread Reapers haunted the world for centuries commanding daunting intelligence and cunning paired with unmatched brutality. The only hope for any Wraith is to let go of its anger and forgive. Only then can it pass into the afterlife.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 04:25:25 am by Altairre Atsu »
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His

Offline Count Faithfull

• Just a cute Tiger
  • Cookies: 332
  • Sushi is mana from Heaven.
  • Fursona Species: Vamperic Tiger
Re: Tod Writes! (Writing Shorts and more!)
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 02:24:52 am »
You should do a 7 deadly sins sort of thing, I really felt, well not wrath, but what it'd be like to experience it.
  • Award - Holiday Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
  • Pride Flag - polyamorous
▬▬▬▬▬▬⌘ஜ۩۞۩ஜ⌘▬▬▬▬▬▬
Chaotic Good ⧱ Bard/cleric ⧱ Faithfull's admirers'ENFJ ⧱ Hufflepuff ⧱ Pisces/Earth Tiger
▬▬▬▬⤪۩۞۩⤭▬▬▬▬
Icon by Serana <3
⥿

Offline TodTheFox

• Licensed Lazy Loiterer
  • Green Level
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 02:43:12 am »
This my personal entry in FT writing competition:

Time Flows Onward

Time ebbs and flows ever onward. Incessantly marching forward with effortless ease. Woe to all who how should let time pass them by. For the passage of time stops for no man. You cannot dare to wait. Time is merciless, falter and you will be knocked from your feet. To face life’s greatest challenge you must be steadfast. You must be determined and resolute. Even as the ground gives way beneath you. Even as all you love flees before you.

People you love will leave you. Friends you care about will move on without you. Opportunities you need will slip through your fingers. The world around you will never stop changing. Nothing stays constant. Times ebbs and flows ever onward. You can choose to lay down. Live a life of regret and indecision. Or you can raise your voice. Take this world for everything it can give you. Whether the tempest with unrelenting will and dedication.

The foundations of your life will crack and shatter. Your world will be turned on its head. Everything will change. Life will try to take from you at every chance it gets. You must not break under the pressure. But rather rise to greet the opposition. Stand defiant and proud. Act with grace and humility. Prove yourself in the fiery crucible. Join the ranks of those whose success we pass down through the pages of history.

In time all will return to oblivion’s embrace. In the end, death comes for all. The time you are given is precious. For time ebbs and flows ever onward. It will not stop. You have but one life. Make it worth it. Though it may be short. A brief flash of light in the annals of existence. The world will be a left a little brighter afterwards.

You should do a 7 deadly sins sort of thing, I really felt, well not wrath, but what it'd be like to experience it.
Could you elaborate a little further on this idea at some point? I'd love to hear your thoughts but it's a little hard to extract your full meaning from what you wrote. However, even if I am understanding this correctly: I believe with "seven deadly sins" you are suggesting having people who have lived sinful or at least very sinful lives return to the world as wraiths/specters or something of the like. While I could feasibly see myself expanding on my universe and adding more special case specters including ones related to sins. However, the Wraith itself is a very unique special case scenario. One of the big themes with the Wraith is that it's not their fault. The inciting event that creates a Wraith is usually something that was entirely beyond their power. However it's ultimately their Wraith and anger that binds them to the world, makes them stay.

The theme really with the Wraith, is that you can't always control what happens to you or the people you love but you can control how you react. To quote a famous individual, giving in to hate and anger is like drinking a vial of poison and expecting the other person to die. By resigning themselves to their anger the Wraith in many ways actually dooms itself to its destiny and slowly destroys it's very being until it completes its revenge and there is nothing of left of it. Effectively achieving its vengeance destroys who that individual once was, they become something new entirely. The writing at the end is more or less from their perspective claiming the world screwed them over and their vengeance on it and thereby justified. However, the underlying theme tells a different story. It's completing their vengeance that truly ends them.

So it's a bit heavy-handed and right on the nail but it has a strong message I think. One that I wouldn't really prefer to sacrafice.
  • Pride Flag - asexual

Offline Count Faithfull

• Just a cute Tiger
  • Cookies: 332
  • Sushi is mana from Heaven.
  • Fursona Species: Vamperic Tiger
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 02:58:13 am »
I believe with "seven deadly sins" you are suggesting having people who have lived sinful or at least very sinful lives return to the world as wraiths/specters or something of the like.
That's what I was saying yes.
I would love to see you cover them all.
  • Award - Holiday Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
  • Pride Flag - polyamorous
▬▬▬▬▬▬⌘ஜ۩۞۩ஜ⌘▬▬▬▬▬▬
Chaotic Good ⧱ Bard/cleric ⧱ Faithfull's admirers'ENFJ ⧱ Hufflepuff ⧱ Pisces/Earth Tiger
▬▬▬▬⤪۩۞۩⤭▬▬▬▬
Icon by Serana <3
⥿

Offline Undertaker

• "Do you want to see how it feels to sleep in my custom-made coffins?"
  • Purple Level
  • Cookies: 87
  • "How sad it would be, should laughter disappear."
    • DeviantArt - BluefoxLongtail
    • FurAffinity - sprite-limehead
  • Fursona Species: Retired Shinigami
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2017, 08:59:02 am »
Your writing style is amazing; it reminds me of reading stories written by the legendary author, Isaac Asimov. It's absolutely beautiful.
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pride Flag - omnisexual

GIFs are the property of their respective owners.

ThisCrush | SoundCloud | AMA/Q&A | Have something to ask me? (Off-site) | ♥ The wonderful young lady, that I love. (click) ♥
ENTJ | Field Marshall | Pagan

Offline TodTheFox

• Licensed Lazy Loiterer
  • Green Level
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2017, 05:46:13 pm »
Oh, my is it that time again? Indeed it is! I WAS originally working on a revised version of what initially going to be my competition entry but I wound up just writing about the character Reyu himself instead of the actual story. Opps. Regardless, this is the revised but not entirely final version of this piece, I'd love to hear other's thoughts on this as I move forward with its revision! It should be noted all the names here are placeholders for the moment until I draft up final versions or decide to stick with what I've got.

Death. It was a word rare to grace the lips of those who would utter in misguided fear. For it was the nature of the living to cling to what they are, to what they know. They are terrified of its embrace and weep relentlessly for those who are welcomed by it. They do not understand. In irony, it is that foolish terror that is so oft their own undoing.

Reyu is a keeper of death. A Guardian of its gate and champion of its righteous cause. He is Ahk’Torrun, Dread Hunter, a healer of the broken. Sworn to service of the Divines he is the light sent to return the unwilling to their fate. For the Spirit must always be returned to the Ak’all, the beginning, and the end, paradise and redemption. It is the natural order of things and it cannot be broken without consequence. Those who do so risk all that they are in service to the deceivers. An eternity of suffering bound to the darkness and chaos awaits all those who defy Death’s will and escape the cycle.

By all the powers bestowed upon him by the Divines, he will not let the lost fall to that corruption. To the sun and blessed light of Skyllia, they will yield. With the wisdom of Kerrimor, their weaknesses revealed and secrets known.  And by the rites of Az’gorlag, to the afterlife, they shall pass. This is the will of the gods. That is his mission, his sacred oath to fulfill until the end time. It his purpose, his reason for being.

It was a trying and demanding role to play. The hunt was long and arduous. Wraiths never gave up easy. Never stayed their scythes for an agent of death. Many a time he was struck down by the hand of a greater foe. Dread Wraiths fought with speed and precision few others could hope to match. Reyu was not always among those who could face down such a terrible power.

He too was bound to his mission just as they were ensnared in their quest for vengeance. For each time he fell he would rise again with the Sun more determined than before.  And when the moon did rise again the hunt would continue. So shall it be indefinitely so until the prize was, at last, his to claim.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 06:11:47 pm by TodTheFox »
  • Pride Flag - asexual