Author Topic: Videogame Shame/Anxiety?  (Read 118 times)

Offline Adadave

• INFP Personality~
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 60
  • [icon by a friend named Shaidz on dA]
    • DeviantArt - Adadave
    • Twitter - @AdadaveE
  • Fursona Species: A Fox with a werid mind
Videogame Shame/Anxiety?
« on: July 22, 2017, 08:19:21 pm »
When I was 10 I liked to play videogames a lot. I'd play on our Wii, flash games on the computer and all that. I even really wanted a DSi to play games on that and ... well... that thing lasted for a couple years before I got a 3ds xD

And after I got into minecraft and was hooked on nothing but that for 3 years... gaming hasn't had any appeal to me ... at all.

The last game I can truely say I enjoyed was Undertale a year and a half ago. I got Dust: An Elysian Tail back in Feburary. And I was enchanted by it. I thought it was pretty and liked the soundtrack.

Except since 9th grade school has been busy for me and I don't understand why. Everyone seems to have a ton of time to have fun while I end up spending hours a night doing homework, and then stressing for no apperent reason.
My free time ends up with me doing art or just chatting with friends via text and listening to music often during that time. It doesn't require much time.

So what happened with dust is I played it about one chapter a week. Usually just a couple hours on Saturday to get through it but that lasted only 3 weeks I think. End of March I basically abandoned the game half finished.
Then I picked it back up a couple weeks ago after my trip to Europe and wasn't really aware of what I was doing. I just rushed to the end of it. I didn't finish it though... I was too underpowered, LV25 and had skipped over a lot of items that when I got to Giaus I was killed REALLY fast. Only got to phase II out of 4 I did some research on the game and found even on speedruns people end up with at least lv. 40 so how I managed to skip over so much stuff... I don't know...

I don't know if I'll actually finnish the game at this point since it became such a chore.

I did try overwatch at a friend's place and liked it a lot. Problem is my laptop is too underpowered to run it well. I did try the trial during the free weekend and nearly overheated my computer severely.

I've tried playing Terraria recently and everyone has said it's a game I'll love. But it's been a week and I've only felt frustrated and confused even after watching a tutorial serries and not being completely in the dark about it.

I also feel very scared playing games with people to be honest. Like I'm messing up, making stupid mistakes, and no one's liking me playing because I'm just doing all sorts of stupid things while they're all amazing at the game and know what they're doing.
If it's smash bros I'm the first to die usually
If it's overwatch I die the most
if it's terraria I die a lot and spend the entire time walking back or finding my friends since I don't understand how to use the teleport potions and when I do what the Wiki says it doesn't work.
if it's minecraft I get killed all the time in PvP
if it's mario kart I look at the wrong screen and think I'm doing good while really I'm driving in circles and crashing
if it's call of duty, I've never really played it or know what it's about so I just die a lot and sit confused with all this stuff everywhere.

So IDK... I just think I'm really stupid when it comes to videogames?
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
  • Pronouns: He/His/Him

Reality is the things that, no matter how hard you try, won't cease to exist.
Plz don't be werid XP -> http://www.thiscrush.com/~adadave

Offline ☆Sugar☆

• We are the exiled ones
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 165
  • The lost daughters and sons of Cybertron
    • DeviantArt - SugarLonghorn
    • Twitter - NoNotExactly
  • Fursona Species: Longhorn
Re: Videogame Shame/Anxiety?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2017, 08:35:03 pm »
Well, it seems like you're just not as experienced with games as other people. Some people put hundreds of hours into games, so obviously theyll be better at them than you. And even if you do put a lot of time into games, some people are just better at it than others. And regardless, its a game, and its meant for fun, so try to focus on having fun instead of being an incredible MLG gamer. If someone tells you you're bad or make fun of you for something, they're a dick.
  • Flag - xmaslight
  • Award - Easter Egg Hunt silver
  • Award - Holiday Hunt participant
  • Pronouns: she/her/hers

"Everyone assumes that if you make jokes, you're happy. Why? Why is that?" ~Swerve
please pet cow~art tumblr~other tumblr~deviantart

Offline Adadave

• INFP Personality~
  • Blue Level
    • DeviantArt - Adadave
    • Twitter - @AdadaveE
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 04:59:37 pm »
Well, it seems like you're just not as experienced with games as other people. Some people put hundreds of hours into games, so obviously theyll be better at them than you. And even if you do put a lot of time into games, some people are just better at it than others. And regardless, its a game, and its meant for fun, so try to focus on having fun instead of being an incredible MLG gamer. If someone tells you you're bad or make fun of you for something, they're a dick.

True... a lot of time people would've spent playing videogames I spend doing homework, drawing, reading, and playing piano...
  • Pride Flag - bisexual

Offline Noise

• Mummy Boi
  • Forum Elder
  • Candies: 736
  • Candy Corn = Life
    • FurAffinity - cactle
  • Fursona Species: Wickerbeast
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 05:46:22 pm »
Like sugar said video games are for fun
Its all good if you aren't very good at them
I play overwatch and similar games even though I can't aim for shit
If anyone gives you shit for it then they need to go outside and get the stick out of their ass
The most important thing is having fun
If you wanna be good then practice and look up beginner tutorials on YouTube
Also there's a lot of relaxing games out there if you don't wanna get frustrated
I really recommend stardew valley or any of the Zelda games
  • Site Donor
  • Award - Easter Egg Hunt silver
  • Award - Halloween Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
  • Award - Graphic Artist

Offline Adadave

• INFP Personality~
  • Blue Level
    • DeviantArt - Adadave
    • Twitter - @AdadaveE
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2017, 06:26:54 pm »
Like sugar said video games are for fun
Its all good if you aren't very good at them
I play overwatch and similar games even though I can't aim for shit
If anyone gives you shit for it then they need to go outside and get the stick out of their ass
The most important thing is having fun
If you wanna be good then practice and look up beginner tutorials on YouTube
Also there's a lot of relaxing games out there if you don't wanna get frustrated
I really recommend stardew valley or any of the Zelda games

I've heard of StarDew valley and actually liked the guy playing through it I decided that I'd stop watching to avoid spoilers.

I've seen a LOT of zelda. I've played the original as a flash game but was kinda lost and had no point. I have Link's Awakening on my 3ds but I haven't opened it up since April and was even then using a walkthrough guide to help with it. (april is a terrible time to start videogames with me I have exams going on)
  • Pride Flag - bisexual

Offline HerrForehead

• Orange Level
  • Candies: 14
  • I'm weird
    • DeviantArt - Spirit-Ulf
    • FurAffinity - HerrForehead
  • Fursona Species: Wolf/Dragon Hybrid and Foxtaur
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2017, 03:31:37 am »
Perhaps you don't like some of the genres? There is a wide variety of them, and some you will like more than the other.
Maybe you could try and find a genre you like, and are good with.
  • Flag - netherlands
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His