Author Topic: star ocean : the second story  (Read 893 times)

Offline Benji Teh Wolf

• Foxxie's puppeh boi
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 14
  • I do what i can
    • FurAffinity - nightwolf101
  • Fursona Species: Wolf
star ocean : the second story
« on: April 10, 2008, 02:02:01 pm »
an old playstation 1 game. old...but really good for its time

this game was based on an anime called Star Ocean EX. It quickly became one of my favorite games ever. This was an rpg that was worthy to compete with Final Fantasy, even though the graphics werent the best.

Story - You play as one of two characters. the first is the male, Claud Kenni. He was an ensign on his fathers space ship, and they were on a mission to explore an unknown planet. He was teleported to another planet, where he had to rescue a young girl who became his ally in battle.
The other player you can play as is Rena, the girl mentioned above. She has an amazing power that is not found on her planet, which is healing magic. She is waundering around the forest when she is attacked by a monster and saved by a blonde young man and his "sword of light" from an ancient prophecy.

Graphics - decent for the original playstation. The in game videos are very good for what the game is and the rest of the graphics are a little better than the original final fantasy games.

gameplay - very good. it is a real time fighting system. the game is awesome throughout with many side missions and it is just sweet game all around. depending on which characters you take with you, and how you play through the game and the influence you have on you team, there are 300 possible endings.

Music - yes...very good soundtrack...dont believe me? i will get a link here soon with all the music, but it is really good music

story - 9/10
graphics - 7/10
gameplay - 10/10
music - 8/10

overall - 8.5/10

if you can ever find this, can afford an old game, and have about 300+ hours on your hand, i suggest you pick this up 

Offline Soul Eater

• So Scandalous
  • Cookies: 0
  • Lolwut?
    • FA Gallery Yo
Re: star ocean : the second story
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 08:40:14 am »
The Star Ocean series of games isn't too popular, but the Second Story was the definite highlight of all of them. The newer PS2 one is... well, I gotta say it's almost not worth playing, but if you do play it, I strongly advise you to level up like it's an MMO. >_>;

Anyways, on 2nd Story: Though I never did play this game through to completion, I've always wanted to find and finish it. It really was a good game for it's time, despite the little attention it got. 300+ hours of gameplay in itself is something, the flipside is this game does draw you in and make you want to spend the time immersed in it.

The PS2 sequel also has pretty long gameplay, and a vibrant and colourful setting (Seriously, you get to some parts and no matter what you're state of mind you'll be thinking, "Whoa... colours..."). and a host of interesting and coolly designed characters with a twisty turny plot. Combat is challenging, though at times it's as if level progression is too steep and the game really makes you fight to get through it, with the last boss actually being a big obstacle.

The classic version of the game is adorably cheesy and fairly linear story/gameplay wise, another 'for it's time' game. It featured a real-time combat style that was built upon and expanded in second story.
Introducing Soul, he ain't a junkie but he drools a lot.~

Offline Benji Teh Wolf

• Foxxie's puppeh boi
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 14
  • I do what i can
    • FurAffinity - nightwolf101
  • Fursona Species: Wolf
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 10:25:39 am »
hmm havent played the ps2 one but from someone i talked to who has, he said it was really good....so idk...i guess ill have to try it for myself......

Offline Amui

• Crazy as Duck
  • Orange Level
  • Cookies: 11
  • Je Vois Tout
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 10:44:07 am »
The Star Ocean series of games isn't too popular, but the Second Story was the definite highlight of all of them. The newer PS2 one is... well, I gotta say it's almost not worth playing, but if you do play it, I strongly advise you to level up like it's an MMO. >_>;

The PS2 sequel also has pretty long gameplay, and a vibrant and colourful setting (Seriously, you get to some parts and no matter what you're state of mind you'll be thinking, "Whoa... colours..."). and a host of interesting and coolly designed characters with a twisty turny plot. Combat is challenging, though at times it's as if level progression is too steep and the game really makes you fight to get through it, with the last boss actually being a big obstacle.
Which is exactly how a game should be, challenging and makes you put yourself into it, unlike most games these days which are mostly so easy to complete even on the hardest modes.
As for the second story, i tried downloading a ROM of it a while back and it made my emulator go insane so i gave up on it.
The combat system IS the best of any RPG i have ever played, i also suggest Infinite Undiscovery made by the same guys that did SO, and are making the new Star Ocean coming out which will be the prequel to all of the SO games, which is at the absolute START of everything, its a game i am looking very much forward to.
In short, i think the Star Ocean series could kick the Final Fantasy series ass.

Offline Envy

• Orange Level
  • Cookies: 4
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 11:14:55 pm »
I just borrowed it from my fried, but I'm holding off getting into it for a little while. I have another game I'm halfway through, so yeah :p

From the first 2 dungeons I've played, it's really great though ^^

Offline Dragon

• Meh.
  • Red Level
  • Cookies: 2
  • I'm a fox named Dragon.... How odd is that?
    • FurAffinity - dragon_sun252
  • Fursona Species: Fox :)
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2008, 05:48:59 pm »
SO second story was great and SO Tell the end of time was also great. I have both and have beaten both!!! If you have never played them go out and get them (or download but if you do make sure you on a system with atleast 2ghz and 1 gig ram and a decent video card)

Offline Wolf12

• Life is just a dream it's never ending.
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 29
  • I'm not okay I'm crazy!!!!!!!
    • FurAffinity - bangwolf
  • Fursona Species: Gray Wolf
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 09:53:59 pm »
Woffie is right about everything in star ocean: the second story the game is best star ocean the ps2 game sucks
All you base are belong to Wolf.
it's in the fine print.

my icon is done by Manicsfan.