Author Topic: Tod's Art and Art Attempts, The Journey!  (Read 435 times)

Offline TodTheFox

• Licensed Lazy Loiterer
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 49
  • Fursona Species: Red Fox
Tod's Art and Art Attempts, The Journey!
« on: August 27, 2017, 02:39:07 am »
Well, I wasn't really sure this day would ever come but here we are, an Art thread of mine that isn't about writing! I Know, I can hardly believe it too. xP Anyway, I'm studying 2d Art, Pixel Art, and 3d modeling as it stands. Since the course discussions are rather dead I thought I'd upload my progress and practice works here for judgment and feedback. Right now I am studying the Pixel Art course specifically so there will only be stuff from that specific area but eventually, I will start uploading some 3d model pictures as soon as I dive back into Blender. (I'll probably upload any sketches I do here if I ever get the courage to do so.

So without further ado, this is the majority of what I've worked on today barring a few of the least interesting pieces.

Project 3:

(Initially, the instructor demonstrated the lesson by drawing a pineapple which was not actually part of the challenge but I did it anyway for practice after that the goal was to tell a story of an Astronaut that goes into space on a Rocket.)

Final Section Challenge
(The Instructor ended with, okay now just draw 16 8x8 emoticons. I initially thought they meant actual emotions and tried drawing a bunch of different faces but I ran out of ideas pretty quick so I started drawing video game characters. Then I watched the remaining section of the lecture for inspiration and realized he really just meant draw 16 8x8 icons of whatever strikes your fancy. So I did the remaining sprites as objects.)

(SEE INSTRUCTOR IS THIS WHAT YOU WANTED?!?! I tried to do the emotes as differently as possible to test the waters in multiple styles for extra practice.)

(Geralt, Witcher Series)

(Master Chief, Halo Series)

(Ezio, Assassin's Creed)

(Taking some shall we say, leeway, in what you can still call an emoticon)

(This started as, I'ma draw the fox on my desk, now I'm not entirely sure what to call it anymore)

(AND, the ultimate sign you're running out of ideas! Drawing the soda can on your desk!)

(I realized here I could be drawing so much more than people, animals, and sodas cans. So I made a Green Guard Shield)

(What Shield is complete with a good 'ol sword!)

(I really wanted the Alliance Logo from my custom Universe to fit right in 8x8 but it just didn't work the way I'd hoped.)

Section 2:
So like, they gave me a brief overview of tools to use which finally gave me some sense of understanding what the Airbrush was and then just said, Okay now draw fire!

I tried.... Didn't work out quite as well as I planned... But then watched how the instructor did theirs and looked at what other people had done. Learning what I could I did these two:

I also finally got to use my Graphics tablet for this section and got the right drivers to get it working properly at 100%. I expect to be using it a whole lot more now that it's more responsive and its features are working as intended.
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His

Offline Raven Foxx

• yip
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 32
  • rawr
    • DeviantArt - Ravenhoof
    • FurAffinity - Raven-Foxx
    • Weasyl - RavenFoxx
  • Fursona Species: Droxen
Re: Tod's Art and Art Attempts, The Journey!
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2017, 02:41:03 am »
YAS TOD ART
  • Flag - usa
  • Pride Flag - genderfluid
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
  • Pronouns: They/Them/Their or She/Her/Hers

Offline Dolly

• Blue Level
  • Cookies: 79
  • King Thranduil is coolest
    • FurAffinity - zazanga
  • Fursona Species: Rabbit
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017, 02:43:07 am »
This is really cool dude, I like all the different ideas for pixel art you managed to come up with.
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
pet me please                                   ENFP

Offline TodTheFox

• Licensed Lazy Loiterer
  • Green Level
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2017, 02:57:44 am »
YAS TOD ART

Yes, I have officially joined the FT Art Cult Community. I AM CONTRIBUTING TO SOCIETY, YEAH!

This is really cool dude, I like all the different ideas for pixel art you managed to come up with.

Project 3 and the Start of Section 2 weren't that hard since I had specific instruction on what to make (Though I did draw a lot of inspiration from Osiris New Dawn and Mars for Project 3.) It was the challenge at the end of Section 1 that was frustratingly time-consuming, not because the art was necessarily hard but because I needed to find ideas that could work an 8x8 space.

[Edit] Made some more, last three before I turn in:

Originally the colors on this were a fair bit brighter but I wanted to go for a sort of weathered look so I saturated them up and adding some paint chipping from battle scars.

There was a bit more red in the wood for the cross bow and the colors blended even more than they did now so I tried experimenting with value differences to make each part more pronounced and visible still need more practice in that area though I think. THere was also a bolt on the crossbow as well but I took it out because overall the sprite just felt like it had too much going on and needed to be simplified.

I was originally just going to use a layer mask for my shield and call that assignment good but then I saw someone else made a really awesome moon for the layer mask. Not to be outdone I made a planet with biomes and an atmosphere xD.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 05:35:29 am by TodTheFox »
  • Pride Flag - asexual

Offline The not scary Dave

• INFP Personality~
  • Blue Level
  • Cookies: 64
  • [icon by a friend named Shaidz on dA]
    • DeviantArt - Adadave
    • Twitter - @AdadaveE
  • Fursona Species: A Fox with a werid mind
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2017, 05:49:58 pm »
Oh wow this pixel art looks really nice!
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pride Flag - homoflexible
  • Pronouns: He/His/Him They/them

Reality is the things that, no matter how hard you try, won't cease to exist.
Plz don't be werid XP -> http://www.thiscrush.com/~adadave

Offline TodTheFox

• Licensed Lazy Loiterer
  • Green Level
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 04:20:56 pm »
I've another batch, these are the results of the last day or so of working with the course and more will probably come at the end of today or sometime tomorrow.

(We were instructed to make item and power icon silhouettes and told we could use old work we've done, pictures we found online, or make entirely new work. Since I am trying to get as much practice as possible I did entirely new work making sprites that could themselves be used as well. I stopped at the boots though and only did the outline because it took a decent chunk to time to study the shape of plate boots just to get my drawing to look like it does.)

(I googled pike and got a reference image for what I'm pretty sure is actually a Halberd. It's apparently surprisingly hard to get an exact idea on what the difference is between the two. I re did the shading from it's original to highlight the edges rather than the whole surface of the metal and I think that really brings out the shape, much better than before.)

(I started using the same color palette as the Pike for these last two images to try my hand at making the art look more uniform and consistent so I can get practice working with that. While simple I really like how the shield came out. This was also my first attempt at using a drop shadow.)

(This started as a google search for the most complicated looking armor reference I could find because I wanted to challenge myself and put my abilities to the test working with something with very fine intricate detail. Originally this texture was a lot more crowded with highlights but it diverged away from the reference when I tried to simplify down to something that would work better with the resolution. Ultimately, however, the shading method I used for the Halbred and Kiteshield didn't work quite so well due to the complexity of the sprite and its many surfaces. So even though it shares the same color pallette is stands out from the other two because I wound up using a simple gradient shader instead of the airbrush.)
  • Pride Flag - asexual

Offline ShopePapilloma

• 110% Ready to fight about Buckynat.
  • Yellow Level
  • Cookies: 20
  • Broadcasting live from area 51!
    • Twitter - @harvest_luna
  • Fursona Species: Jackalope
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2017, 05:45:43 pm »
These are awesome!
  • Flag - usa
FT's resident jackalope, Marvel nerd, giver of plastic babies, and owner of three smelly rats. 
My art/commission twitter: https://twitter.com/ThunderSnowArt

Offline The not scary Dave

• INFP Personality~
  • Blue Level
  • Cookies: 64
  • [icon by a friend named Shaidz on dA]
    • DeviantArt - Adadave
    • Twitter - @AdadaveE
  • Fursona Species: A Fox with a werid mind
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2017, 07:27:44 pm »
you're all ready to make a game :0

Are you taking a class for this? it sounds a bit like it.
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pride Flag - homoflexible
  • Pronouns: He/His/Him They/them

Reality is the things that, no matter how hard you try, won't cease to exist.
Plz don't be werid XP -> http://www.thiscrush.com/~adadave

Offline TodTheFox

• Licensed Lazy Loiterer
  • Green Level
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2017, 08:14:28 pm »
These are awesome!

Thank you, I've been trying my best to produce the best quality work I can and I'm glad the results are pleasing thus far.  :fox-;):

you're all ready to make a game :0

Are you taking a class for this? it sounds a bit like it.

Indeed I am, Udemy is having another one it's massive sales where it marks down most of its courses to 10 USD each. (Major saving considering most of them are over the hundred and two hundred marks. I probably saved 300-400 USD and only spent 60.) Of course, it's not the first time I've done Pixel art, nor is the first learning resource I've used. But is the first time I've buckled down and tried to learn it. I do think I have something of a leg up though and I want to attribute that to games. It may be a flawed theory but I've spent a lot of time building in games like Terraria and Starbound and I think they share underlying fundamentals with creating pixel art and the knowledge you gain is somewhat transferable. Still, I wouldn't be learning at the rate that I am if not for the structure and detailed lessons and insight the course provides so it would be remiss of me not to award them immense credit for helping me to hone my skills further.

If anyone is interested this is the course I'm following along with:
The 2d Game Artist, Udemy

It's that time again!
This is the majority of today's spoils including the final challenge results for the 2nd Section:

(I felt really bad after getting two sprite armor pieces done REALLY well, but they drew too much from the reference and after another brush up on copyright laws I back pedaled and now I'm keeping those two for posterity not posting. Anway after realizing I couldn't post those I went ahead and drew this almost entirely without references so I could create something entirely new.)

(I actually made this by accident by leaving the shading layer on over the silhouette layer. As it turns out it actually looked really awesome so I left it that way.)

(I was told to create a composite image derived from several other works so I did.)

(The Challenge was to do a Reflection so I reflected my sword in a lake.)

(For the final challenge they supplied a HUD to use since it was more about making icons than drawing a HUD. But you were given the option to make your own and I didn't join Pixel Art Boot Camp to have work supplied for me so clearly there was only one option before me. Make my own from scratch!. This would have taken so, so much less time I was less obsessive over the glass effect on the orb which still needs work now that I look at it again.)

(This is the finalized version complete with some Druid theme abilities. I am tempted to fill the last spot on the Abilities bar but I may just add a third Equipment slot and fill it with the Crossbow.)

(Magic Blast)

(Vines)

(Wolf Transform)

(Heal)

(Potion Icon)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 05:09:46 am by TodTheFox »
  • Pride Flag - asexual

Offline Count Faithfull

• Just a cute Tiger
  • Cookies: 332
  • Sushi is mana from Heaven.
  • Fursona Species: Vamperic Tiger
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2017, 12:10:02 pm »
Oh whoa! These look great! I'm impressed  :lol-fox:
  • Award - Holiday Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
  • Pride Flag - polyamorous
▬▬▬▬▬▬⌘ஜ۩۞۩ஜ⌘▬▬▬▬▬▬
Chaotic Good ⧱ Bard/cleric ⧱ Faithfull's admirers'ENFJ ⧱ Hufflepuff ⧱ Pisces/Earth Tiger
▬▬▬▬⤪۩۞۩⤭▬▬▬▬
Icon by Serana <3
⥿

Offline Graham

• 50% moth, 50% man
  • Cookies: 73
  • 100% boyfriend material
  • Fursona Species: Death's Head Moth
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2017, 12:23:06 pm »
These are very creative. Everything looks really cool, this style is so different from other artists here.
  • Award - Easter Egg Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - genderqueer
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pronouns: They/Them/Their
  • Award - Graphic Artist

dancer, amateur writer, and destroyer of West Virginia bridges
Avatar by tsukiko26 & Signature Icon by zerlc

Offline Dolly

• Blue Level
  • Cookies: 79
  • King Thranduil is coolest
    • FurAffinity - zazanga
  • Fursona Species: Rabbit
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2017, 04:20:11 pm »
aHH this looks great! The difference between stuff you first posted and the recent ones is really noticeable, they look so professional now!
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
pet me please                                   ENFP

Offline Raven Foxx

• yip
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 32
  • rawr
    • DeviantArt - Ravenhoof
    • FurAffinity - Raven-Foxx
    • Weasyl - RavenFoxx
  • Fursona Species: Droxen
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2017, 06:03:23 pm »
These are awesome!
  • Flag - usa
  • Pride Flag - genderfluid
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
  • Pronouns: They/Them/Their or She/Her/Hers

Offline Bones

• Cactus Enthusiast
  • Forum Elder
  • Cookies: 752
  • We didn't start the fire
  • Fursona Species: Bearded Vulture
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2017, 06:36:20 pm »
These are really good yo !!!
  • Site Donor
  • Award - Easter Egg Hunt silver
  • Award - Halloween Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
  • Award - Graphic Artist

Offline TodTheFox

• Licensed Lazy Loiterer
  • Green Level
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2017, 03:10:38 am »
Oh whoa! These look great! I'm impressed  :lol-fox:

I'm glad you like them! I've been working hard to get in as much practice as I can. Also, I think you'll like the new Artwork I did today, scroll down.  :fox-;):

These are very creative. Everything looks really cool, this style is so different from other artists here.

Many thanks, I imagine things look rather unique compared to the other artists on FT simply because they're aren't that many pixel artists here, at least not that I've seen. Humorously while I would absolutely love to draw like the other artists here do I am still learning and what I can right now with pencil and paper is REALLY bad xD. I'll get there though, ONE DAY!

aHH this looks great! The difference between stuff you first posted and the recent ones is really noticeable, they look so professional now!

Thank you, I've been spending as much as of my free time as I can practicing and following along with my course.

These are awesome!

These are really good yo !!!

Thank you both for your kind words, perhaps I don't show it quite as well as I could but I am very genuinely very grateful for everything everyone has said, it's really motivating to know people like what I've made so far.  :fox-:):

(The Sword I drew earlier (Lightbreaker, Alaki's sword) was starting to feel a bit old and out of place compared to everything I've done recently so I spent an hour or two this morning making these for practice. The top is a Cutlass, the Middle is a Rapier, and the Last one is a Sabre)

(I Redid my crossbow using my new method for shading and gave it a drop shadow. I think it fits better with my set now.)

(I felt my current potion icon was really lame and uninspired so I dug around looking for inspiration for different ways to sprite them and came up with these two. Personally, I really like the first one so I will be using that as my new primary potion icon for now.)

That it's for tonight, I should have a fair bit more tomorrow since I will get the spend day working on new stuff again.  :fox-;):

[Edit] I am realizing now the swords are a tad hard to see on the mostly white(ish) background of FT so have my composite image I've been using for sprite comparison:
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 03:15:52 am by TodTheFox »
  • Pride Flag - asexual

Offline Undertaker

• "Do you want to see how it feels to sleep in my custom-made coffins?"
  • Purple Level
  • Cookies: 87
  • "How sad it would be, should laughter disappear."
    • DeviantArt - BluefoxLongtail
    • FurAffinity - sprite-limehead
  • Fursona Species: Retired Shinigami
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2017, 10:14:28 am »
The swords remind me of the graphics for the original Prince of Persia videogame. That's a compliment by the way. Prince of Persia has some of the best 2D pixel graphics in the world, and you are at that level of skill. Bravo Tod!
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pride Flag - omnisexual

GIFs are the property of their respective owners.

ThisCrush | SoundCloud | AMA/Q&A | Have something to ask me? (Off-site) | ♥ The wonderful young lady, that I love. (click) ♥
ENTJ | Field Marshall | Pagan

Offline Count Faithfull

• Just a cute Tiger
  • Cookies: 332
  • Sushi is mana from Heaven.
  • Fursona Species: Vamperic Tiger
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2017, 08:37:54 pm »
just a bit of critic on your two handed sword. I dont know what that is under the cross guard, but if thats actually part of the cross guard, maybe see what it looks like without it? Idk, it just doesn't look as practical of a weapon as the others do. other than that, they all look pretty dang good.
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
  • Pride Flag - polyamorous
▬▬▬▬▬▬⌘ஜ۩۞۩ஜ⌘▬▬▬▬▬▬
Chaotic Good ⧱ Bard/cleric ⧱ Faithfull's admirers'ENFJ ⧱ Hufflepuff ⧱ Pisces/Earth Tiger
▬▬▬▬⤪۩۞۩⤭▬▬▬▬
Icon by Serana <3
⥿

Offline TodTheFox

• Licensed Lazy Loiterer
  • Green Level
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2017, 10:26:51 pm »
The swords remind me of the graphics for the original Prince of Persia videogame. That's a compliment by the way. Prince of Persia has some of the best 2D pixel graphics in the world, and you are at that level of skill. Bravo Tod!

High praise, many thanks, I'm glad you like the work, I hope to start posting more again as soon as I get out of the animation section of the course.

just a bit of critic on your two handed sword. I dont know what that is under the cross guard, but if thats actually part of the cross guard, maybe see what it looks like without it? Idk, it just doesn't look as practical of a weapon as the others do. other than that, they all look pretty dang good.

For a second I was a bit confused but I think you're referring to Alaki's sword Lightbreaker which is the only true long sword on there. In which case, yeah it would almost defiantly look more practical without it (and I really should make a regular longsword) but I think it will make more sense if I show you the original concept art which just didn't work out so hot at the low resolution I was working with:

That is what it's supposed to look like but unfortunately, I didn't actually have the concept art in front of me when I sprited it so it didn't stay as true as it could have to the source sketch. Regardless there is a bit more detail there than I really could fit xD. I do plan to go back and re-sprite the sword at a higher resolution to get it just right though.

Anyway I've been studying along with the course mostly today and I only have some meh animations to show for my most recent work but I did sprite this new sword by revising an early concept sketch for a sword called Chaos Splitter:

(Revised Concept Sketch)

I also tried to color in the concept sketch.... Didn't end well xD:

As it turns out the same shading techniques that work for sprites don't work so hot for larger pictures, who would have guessed? x3

• Pride Flag - asexual

Offline LoyalPyra

• Les Claypool's #1 Fan
  • Cookies: 136
    • DeviantArt - timeitcorrectly
    • FurAffinity - timeitcorrectly
    • Twitter - @TimeItCorrectly
  • Fursona Species: Protogen
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2017, 10:29:06 pm »
Those are really cool, you could use those as sprites in a game if you wanted to, do you plan on making a game or something?
edit: aaaa you did more art and it's' all amazing.
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Flag - armenia
  • Site Donor
  • Award - Easter Egg Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - pansexual
  • Pronouns: she/her/hers
  • Award - Graphic Artist
:pyra:

Offline TodTheFox

• Licensed Lazy Loiterer
  • Green Level
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2017, 10:40:56 pm »
Those are really cool, you could use those as sprites in a game if you wanted to, do you plan on making a game or something?
edit: aaaa you did more art and it's' all amazing.

I do plan on making a game eventually but the keyword there is really "Eventually". I am trying to learn as much as I can from the courses I bought on creating the art, music, and sound effects for games before I dive back into coding them again. The reason for this being twofold, firstly because I am already rather experienced with programming but up to now had next to nill experience making assets for them to use. The second part is that when the instructors hand me assets to use when programming my games I add to those assets or completely replace them entirely with my own, thus practicing programming and asset creation at the same time and improving all my skills together.  But considering how much time it's taken me to get to this specific point in art (in part because I keep diverting away from the lecture to sneak in more practice in areas I feel I need it), it will take some time before I get to games again. I still have 3d modeling and music to get through xD.

(I wasn't going to post too many animations on here but merging my layer groups weren't as much of a hassle as I thought it would be and these are smaller than I thought they'd come out as.)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 10:43:02 pm by TodTheFox »
  • Pride Flag - asexual