Author Topic: Tod's Art and Art Attempts, The Journey!  (Read 338 times)

Online Undertaker

• "Do you want to see how it feels to sleep in my custom-made coffins?"
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 80
  • "How sad it would be, should laughter disappear."
    • DeviantArt - BluefoxLongtail
    • FurAffinity - sprite-limehead
  • Fursona Species: Retired Shinigami
Re: Tod's Art and Art Attempts, The Journey!
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2017, 10:53:56 pm »
Those gates remind me of several 90s games, all of which made by masters. That is indicative of your skill.
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pride Flag - omnisexual
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His

GIFs are the property of their respective owners.

ThisCrush | SoundCloud | AMA/Q&A | Have something to ask me? (Off-site)
ENTJ | Field Marshall | ♥ The wonderful young lady, that I love. (click) ♥

Offline TodTheFox

• Licensed Lazy Loiterer
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 49
  • Fursona Species: Red Fox
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2017, 03:10:00 pm »
Those gates remind me of several 90s games, all of which made by masters. That is indicative of your skill.

I did mean to make them at a higher resolution to cram in more detail but I was sitting there thinking 64x64 would be enough when everyone else actually did 128x128. Probably could have made it look a bit more interesting if I had some more room to play with but oh well, something to remember for next time.

I was instructed to make a sunset animation I may have gotten a bit ambitious with my vision and then everything sort of fell through because I animated frame by frame why I should have been animating it with key framing or pose to pose. The pacing is just sort of off and sections that need more frames to really have their effect sink in are just rushed through :/

This was my first attempt at seamless tiling texture, did not go the way I planned either. Though honestly I was just a tad a bit too reckless with and made too many mistakes that all just compounded in the end until I couldn't salvage it any longer. Damn you destructive work flow! * Angrily shakes paw in the air in vain*

I would be hard pressed just to express how much time and effort this singular sprite took. It's right up there making that sunset and this is a singular frame xD. I went through meticulously drawing the outline pixel for pixel with a pencil tool to get it just right. Oringally my method was a frick ton less efficient and honestly, never would have allowed me to do the shading or coloring properly. (For the edges I had a separate layer entirely where I drew the individual stones as they were meant to be seen before dividing them.) Thankfully I came up with a much more efficient method that also enabled me to properly shade the texture with ease. (I tiled the image into a 4x4 square of itself and wherever I needed to add stones to the edges I just drew them directly on the border where two images met then copied the results back to the original.)

Still, I think from now on I am just going to do my tiling textures at 32x32.  :fox-;):.

• Pride Flag - asexual

Offline Dolly

• Blue Level
  • Candies: 72
  • King Thranduil is coolest
    • FurAffinity - zazanga
  • Fursona Species: Great Dane
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2017, 05:02:50 pm »
wow those do look complicated, I'm not a professional or anything, but I can't see anything wrong with the first two either. Your pixel art is still very cool!
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
pet me please                                   ENFP
Weasyl account

Offline TodTheFox

• Licensed Lazy Loiterer
  • Green Level
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2017, 03:02:25 pm »
I've been holding on to some this art for a bit now as I was waiting for enough to pile up to justify a new post. But I spent so much time practicing with the Azure ship and a bit of character sketching I don't have a very diverse amount of content this time x3.

(Scene Mock up for Final Animation Project)

(Animated Scene)
(I meant to do more with this but the scene itself wasn't really made as well as it could have been with regards to animation so I chucked in a torch and tried animating fire sine the last time I tried that it didn't work out so hot) (Pun Intended)

Here is a pic of what that looked like for improvement reference:

(Azure Dropship Concept Art)

(I decided to try my hand at making something outside of Medieval and renaissance which is the strongest theme I've been going with lately. So instead I worked on an Alliance drop ship from the Universe the Spark character originated. I think you can actually just how much this design improved just during the actual concept art drawing stage. The idea is sort of a Gunship-Dropship hybrid like the LAAT and U Wing from star wars. By ultimately I went from strong Skyranger and Pelican inspiration with the design from XCOM and Halo respectively.) (WHY DO I KEEP MAKING HALO INSPIRED DESIGNS WHEN I HAVE NEVER PLAYED THE GAMES AGGGHH)

(Azure Light Theme)

(Azure Dark Theme (Before Modifaction)

(Azure Dark Theme Lift Off Animation)
(I improved the detail on the thrusters and took off shading for this animation since the shading used for the light theme just doesn't work out so well for the dark theme. I also want to try flat shading over my usual airbrush method. I'll try and post a version with revised shading once it's ready.)
  • Pride Flag - asexual

Offline Jersey Mike

• goat boi
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 30
  • FT's Cyptid Friend
    • DeviantArt - Ravenhoof
    • FurAffinity - Raven-Foxx
    • Weasyl - RavenFoxx
  • Fursona Species: Jersey Devil
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2017, 03:59:59 pm »
Wow, these are great!
  • Flag - usa
  • Pride Flag - genderfluid
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
  • Pronouns: Myself -They/Them/Their or She/Her/Hers Mike-he/him/his

Offline TodTheFox

• Licensed Lazy Loiterer
  • Green Level
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2017, 03:24:16 pm »
It's been awhile since my last post since I've been practicing character sketches in order to start sprinting and drawing characters... Yeah turns out as I expected drawing is really hard x3.
Anyway, I started a couple of pixel art projects to ensure I kept working on it between character sketching and to have something to come back to if drawing was feeling demotivating.

As I said 32x32 had a hard time really conveying the detail on the Sword LightBreaker so I respited at 48x48 but why stop when I could draw some more ornate weapons for the Heroes of the Twilight War:

(Resprited Lightbreaker, This has to be my 4th time spriting this sword xD, Concept Sketch available earlier in thread.)

(Concept Sketch for the Vanguard's Reaper Longsword)

(Sprited Version, Might start adding detail to the blades to see if I can't get them to look a bit more interesting. The new shading technique I'm trying just makes them seem so plain.)

(Conept Sketch for Lodrick's Staff, Renamed to Nature's Will: I cheated here like with Light Breaker and took an earlier sketch I did to turn into Pixel Art, to be fair though if I tried to sketch something new it wouldn't have been this hard to shade and that would have been less fun!)

(Still working on using value, saturation, and selective outlining to convey depth and multiple surfaces, the shading here is also a bit plain since it's essentially just a plain stick.)

(Concept Sketch for the Slingshot Flintlock, I drew the original version of this sketch at work so I didn't have any reference material or any idea what a flintlock pistol should actually look like)

(Hands down this was the most time consuming but also the most fun to sprite. It was challenging to get the detail to just right but it was worth it. I really enjoyed working with the Ornate and flashy style of the Royal Kattaru Design. And I can't wait to sprite the Royal Sabres.)

(This is why I'm not quite ready to start posting characters sketches and 2d character attempts xD)

• Pride Flag - asexual

Offline TodTheFox

• Licensed Lazy Loiterer
  • Green Level
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2017, 07:43:29 pm »
I was sketching and I learned my art book right into the volume control on my headset and it got really bad, really fast. It was so funny I tried to illustrate the moment for posterity in the spirit of art practice:

It's bad I know, Sorry not sorry.

(Oswald's Flintlock Rifle)

(Oswald's and Cecillia's Royal Sabres

(Scale Sheet)
I also worked on some of the pixel art for the ornate weapons, the scale sheet was posted because Cecillia's pistol was reduced in size to work better in relation to the Rifle and the other weapons. Many of the weapons were also changed with the addition of a highlights layer applied overtop of the Shading layer.

I might upload more drawings and potentially (much better) comics but I am still practicing right now x3.
  • Pride Flag - asexual