Author Topic: Worldbuilding  (Read 80 times)

Offline flurrin

• Purple Level
  • Cookies: 130
  • sushi dog
Worldbuilding
« on: September 27, 2017, 05:00:34 pm »
Anyone else here enjoy world building?

I've been working on a little project with many creatures and different places
Here is a map so far that needs to be tweaked a little in terms of the names

Here is a pic of a part one of the areas

I have experimented a little in adding html and javascript and that jus to make it clickable or at least organised as a world.

Also if anyone has any ideas on how to do a good job at world building (in your own opinion) feel free to share~
  • Flag - britain
  • Award - Holiday Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - androgynous
  • Pronouns: any
profile pic by ShopePapilloma

Offline TodTheFox

• Licensed Lazy Loiterer
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 49
  • Fursona Species: Red Fox
Re: Worldbuilding
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 12:17:43 am »
Personally, I absolutely love world building and spend a great deal of time just thinking about fictional universes and characters. It's something like a guilty pleasure and favorite pastime for me. When it comes to recording my work I mostly just files and folder mega-structures (with shortcuts for convenience where categories overlap or relevant information is in another category.) Though I have been using Google Docs more and more these days since I can keep works hanging around on there secure if anything happens to my pc.

Personally when I make my worlds to make them convicing I usually work backwards from what is as to objectively realistic by nature of fact and science to that high fantasy and fiction. I hate to develop with non-ficition but the real world gives me a nice solid base to work with for what people will generally absolutely believe (in many cases because that's exactly what they've seen happen) so that I can start bend and break the rules in ways that don't feel totally out there and overboard. All the best feedback I've personally on my work has been noting that it, given the rules defined for the world, it genuinely it could be a real place.  Course that's just my style but I think there is a lot to be gained in terms of suppression of disbelief if you keep things from becoming too unrealistic and ultimately far-fetched. Again, of course, that is entirely subjective and you can get away with some pretty crazy stuff if you have a well-rounded good work and define the rules of the world beforehand and stick them.
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His

Offline flurrin

• Purple Level
  • sushi dog
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 04:11:57 am »
@Todthefox
Glad to hear ^^ and yea google docs does have its advantages in being in the cloud, and i probably need to back up my files more as well
I've seen top that real life can be a good base
I know that when thinking of placing rivers, mountains and that it helped to know a bit of the geography behind them. The only rules i've broken so far are having places under the sea and that. I think making unrealistic believable stuff is pretty hard XP If anyone can do it well thats pretty impressive

• Flag - britain

Offline Undertaker

• "Do you want to see how it feels to sleep in my custom-made coffins?"
  • Purple Level
  • Cookies: 87
  • "How sad it would be, should laughter disappear."
    • DeviantArt - BluefoxLongtail
    • FurAffinity - sprite-limehead
  • Fursona Species: Retired Shinigami
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 02:19:49 pm »
I love world building. But I can never get my ideas down before they escape me. Hence the reason why my stories always fail. I can't remember the concepts of my worlds. For getting ideas down, I use the most basic programs I can find (because I can't do "real" drawing and I can't read my own handwriting when I'm scribbling quickly), which happens to be MSDOS EDIT and DOSPAINT at the moment. About it being realistic, that's the only thing I can create; I can't create anything that doesn't abide by logic.
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pride Flag - omnisexual

GIFs are the property of their respective owners.

ThisCrush | SoundCloud | AMA/Q&A | Have something to ask me? (Off-site) | ♥ The wonderful young lady, that I love. (click) ♥
ENTJ | Field Marshall | Pagan

Offline flurrin

• Purple Level
  • sushi dog
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 03:37:45 pm »
Yea its always hard to record stuff
With any idea I find that if I leave it too long i loose the essence of the idea. Thats why I try to record stuff asap although even that is quite hard especially when u come back to an idea later, there are many ideas i thought oh wow so great and forgot about or lost interest in. But yea basic programs are good just to get the fundamental ideas really, those programs pretty basic XD
  • Flag - britain

Offline TodTheFox

• Licensed Lazy Loiterer
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 49
  • Fursona Species: Red Fox
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2017, 05:17:44 pm »
One of the ways I've found to help me keep track of my own ideas and refine them even further is talking about and explaining them to my friends whenever I get the chance usually at the end of the day. I find having a conversation about my ideas with others really helps to keep them in mind for the long term so I have them when I go to admit more content into writing. It doesn't hurt that other people also help to refine the ideas and bring their own perspective and suggestions . Having another perspective is great because they think differently from me and can find problems I would never have even considered while rounding out the work by asking questions about things I hadn't thought of yet.
  • Pride Flag - asexual

Offline Oliver, Frosty Dragonboye

• Incandescent Dragon, 60 Watts
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 119
  • Need someone to talk to? PM me!
  • Fursona Species: Furred Dragon
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2017, 05:28:13 pm »
I really like world building and I think it's a really good stress-reliever for me. I tend to use more historically-similar attributes to my world as well as a bunch of fantasy-medieval things that incorporate some form of magic and the like (Though I like to also have some science behind that, but obviously bent to the world's rules. I cant have something unexplained aaa). I really have a bad habit of not sticking to one world and just making new sets of rules for a totally different universe because I find other things interesting but, the current one I've been mulling over is sortof-kindof inspired off of the Diablo series, somewhat Dark Souls to an extent, and Grim Dawn too, if anyone's ever played that.

I might use a one or two of these worlds on the Roleplay boards once I get time and if people are interested :0, I think it might be a fun little experiment to try out sometime ^^;