Author Topic: Max sizes for animated icons  (Read 211 times)

Offline Aoki

• Snow Enthusiast
  • Forum Elder
  • Cookies: 752
  • Merry Chrysler
  • Fursona Species: Batroo (bat + kangaroo)
Max sizes for animated icons
« on: September 30, 2017, 08:06:59 pm »
What are the max sizes for animated icons
I usually do them 100x100 but I was wondering if they could be larger by any chance???
  • Site Donor
  • Award - Easter Egg Hunt silver
  • Award - Halloween Hunt participant
  • Award - Holiday Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
  • Award - Graphic Artist

Offline TodTheFox

• Licensed Lazy Loiterer
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 49
  • Fursona Species: Red Fox
Re: Max sizes for animated icons
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 08:58:59 pm »
While I am not a staff member I will try to provide an answer to the best of my knowledge of the site: The maximum resolution should theoretically be as big as you desire so long as the file size can stay within the hard cap for FT avatars. Though as it should already be apparent, FT doesn't always display images at their original resolution. It re-scales them to fit their allotted screen space as defined within the Cascading Styles sheet. In my searching, I was unable to find exactly how big the file can be before FT stops animating it all together and only displays the first static frame. But I did manage to get a file at 25kb size to animate. (Apologies to the staff for any strain excess caused by my brief experimentation.) An old number I believe I heard tossed around comes to mind which was a rough hard cap of about 33kb file size. So I would suggest keeping your file size under 30kb but it may take some testing.

So in short, 100x100 is about a good resolution in all honesty since the restriction on what FT will actually animate in terms of fie size are quite constraining. Though if you add an excess of frames it will quickly get much much larger.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 09:12:17 pm by TodTheFox »
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His

Online Count Faithfull

• Just a cute Tiger
  • Cookies: 332
  • Sushi is mana from Heaven.
  • Fursona Species: Vamperic Tiger
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2017, 11:23:23 pm »
100x100 is the maximum an animated Icon will work at, and even then they sometimes dont want to.
  • Award - Holiday Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
  • Pride Flag - polyamorous
▬▬▬▬▬▬⌘ஜ۩۞۩ஜ⌘▬▬▬▬▬▬
Chaotic Good ⧱ Bard/cleric ⧱ Faithfull's admirers'ENFJ ⧱ Hufflepuff ⧱ Pisces/Earth Tiger
▬▬▬▬⤪۩۞۩⤭▬▬▬▬
Icon by Serana <3
⥿

Online Mystic

• Christmas cow
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 831
  • Merry and Bright
    • FurAffinity - MysticSolstice
    • Twitter - MysticSolstice
  • Fursona Species: Cow
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 02:27:15 pm »
I've had 125x125 animated icons work before. The forum is tricky and doesn't have set guidelines for animated icons so it's hard to give an answer. From my experience the complexity of the animation is the most important (is the whole icon moving or just one really tiny thing) and even then it's not consistent. Reducing the pixel size and file size seems to help but even then they sometimes don't work. I wish there was a way to figure this out but what works/doesn't work seems so random I haven't figured it out yet v.v
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Flag - canada
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
  • Award - Graphic Artist

| ToyHou.se | ThisCrush | Q&A |
Icon by CupcakeCreature | Signature by Red Velvet

Offline TodTheFox

• Licensed Lazy Loiterer
  • Green Level
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2017, 03:11:09 pm »
I've had 125x125 animated icons work before. The forum is tricky and doesn't have set guidelines for animated icons so it's hard to give an answer. From my experience the complexity of the animation is the most important (is the whole icon moving or just one really tiny thing) and even then it's not consistent. Reducing the pixel size and file size seems to help but even then they sometimes don't work. I wish there was a way to figure this out but what works/doesn't work seems so random I haven't figured it out yet v.v
I figured 100x100 wasn't the absolute hard cap but I didn't want to keep uploading different avatars just to test it.

Technically complexity feeds back into file size since the animated gif is a tricky file type. If I am not mistaken, gifs can be optimized in much the way old file control systems used to navigate through code builds: Rather than keeping full sized image and with all the data that comes to in tow for each frame, they can instead track the pixel difference and try to combine each frame with the previous one.

After some research into SMF, other people are saying that if the file exceeds the maximum size for avatars set for the forum than it SMF converts the image into a .bmp so only the first frame is shown. The exact limit for how big an Avatar can be is defined as the maximum size for a single file attachment which is a number the staff should be able to provide from the forum settings. It's also important that the forum doesn't rescale the image in terms of resolution. In my testing I wasn't able to get my sunset animation to animate while it weas 128x128 by after scaling it to 125x125 it worked despite actually being 77 kbs in size. According to what I've read the default maximum attachment for SMF is 100kb and given my 77kb file worked I am inclined that is the same for FT.

TL;DR:
In conclusion from my research and study the absolute hard cap for file size should be about 100kb (Smf Default) (Tested at 77kb) and the maximum resolution would appear to 125x125(Tested) pixels.

• Pride Flag - asexual

Offline Dr. Noon

• ★⋆ Call me Mommy ⋆★
  • Blue Level
  • Cookies: 48
  • ~ The Best Mamma Cat ~
    • DeviantArt - Lions-Game
    • Bork
  • Fursona Species: Orange Tabby
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2017, 05:37:09 pm »
Unrelated, Tod I really freaking love how you research and go to far extents to test and find out the answer. I would absolutely LOVE to hear any of your theory's or studies, because as you may or may not know, I am a status nerd. Anyways, I would love to talk sometime.
(Also you would make an amazing moderator-)
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Flag - france
  • Award - Halloween Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - polyamorous
  • Pronouns: They/Them
  • Award - Graphic Artist
~Hello there~

Offline TodTheFox

• Licensed Lazy Loiterer
  • Green Level
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2017, 05:57:38 pm »
After some more extensive testing last night I found out Faye wasn't wrong about the website behaving erratically and unpredictably with animated avatars when I only managed to get an animated avatar at 100x100 to work at less than 60 kb and couldn't get to function at all while it was 125x125. I was able to reproduce the same result in SMF rc3 and found it to work in the latest version of SMF. I was also able to get it working on SMF rc3 after replacing the file responsible for handling Avatar resizing and re-encoding with the one from the latest version of SMF. After digging through the code I found out this much:

Apparently, the code responsible for checking avatar file contents is responsible for rejecting some animated gifs while not others. The updated code offers the capacity to switch between an algorithm similar to what FT uses now that will reject select animated Avatars for reasons I am still not fully clear on and one that has been modified to be more relaxed so it won't reject quite as many avatars. Essentially the updated version of FT's current algorithm is a stricter variant that while safer may also reject a large number of otherwise safe avatars.

"Perform extensive security checks on uploaded avatars - Selecting this option will enable very strict security checks on avatars. Enabling this option can, however, result in a lot of safe avatars to be rejected as is explained in the section on performing extensive security checks on image attachments above."

-Source: https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/SMF2.0:Attachments_and_Avatars Under "Uploadedable Avatars"

Replacing the file worked because the latest version of SMF defaults to this feature to off. It's important it unless the Admin panel is also modified FT won't be able to switch between the algorithms since the control setting isn't present in the current version of SMF. Since I was already able to repair the functionality on my version of SMF 3 I am confident I could also modify the admin panel on smf3 to include the new checkbox to allow to the admins to switch the algorithms at their leisure.

TL;DR:
A function within the source code responsible for ensuring malicious images are not uploaded to FT is responsible for the creating the perceived erratic behavior that results in some animated avatars being rejected while others are not. An update exists but it's not a fix because a fix would imply the code is broken whereas it is actually behaving as intended. The update instead offers a choice between the present method one that is more relaxed and should a shouldn't reject as many safe images.

I may look into ways to reduce your gif files chances of not being rejected if such methods do exist.
  • Pride Flag - asexual