Author Topic: Tracking Programs  (Read 143 times)

Offline Shia

• We could be romantics for life
  • Candies: 269
  • Go wild with our scars unhealed
    • DeviantArt - discomanokit
    • FurAffinity - discomanokit
    • Twitter - discomanokit
  • Fursona Species: Manokit
Tracking Programs
« on: November 03, 2017, 01:03:44 pm »
I'm not quite sure why, but whenever I visit anything furry-related on my phone, my screen always turns black and the "loading" circle appears. It happens whenever I'm looking at fursuits on Twitter, or browsing Deviantart or Toyhou.se. It never happens, however, when I look at my school's Twitter or browsing on incognito for non-furry searches. My battery also dies really quickly, I don't know if it is the new update or whatever, but it's really scaring me. I also have seen my dad look at websites of tracking programs, though when I ask him about it he claims that he doesn't use it. This certain app thing also has a non-jailbreak option where you put in the Apple ID, which my parents have access to. I'm trying to get them to get Discord onto my phone, but it would be pretty useless if it was being tracked ;; any idea on how to check whether my phone is being tracked or not? I would really appreciate it!
  • Flag - usa
  • Award - Easter Egg Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
  • Pronouns: she/her/hers
If you need anything, just ask me! My inbox is always open and I’m more than happy to help.
Crushin'?Deviantart Main Toyhou.se Alt Toyhou.se

Avatar by Shlimaz on FurAffinity and sig emote by Red Velvet

:shia:

Offline flurrin

• Purple Level
  • Candies: 129
  • sushi dog
Re: Tracking Programs
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 01:20:18 pm »
Hmm.. maybe check what programs are being allowed run in the background (which unfortunately I'm not sure how to do with apple it's easy with android though) and check your data usage. Battery usage increase is very suspicious though. Check if there are any hidden files in the storage section.
Maybe there is a keyword block being implemented so that every time the word furry appears the site is blocked. Also perhaps you could use a phone virus scanner/security program although if your being tracked then maybe that isn't a good idea.
  • Flag - britain
  • Award - Holiday Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - androgynous
  • Pronouns: any
profile pic by ShopePapilloma

Offline Shia

• Twitter - discomanokit
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 01:21:58 pm »
Hmm.. maybe check what programs are being allowed run in the background (which unfortunately I'm not sure how to do with apple it's easy with android though) and check your data usage. Battery usage increase is very suspicious though. Check if there are any hidden files in the storage section.
Maybe there is a keyword block being implemented so that every time the word furry appears the site is blocked. Also perhaps you could use a phone virus scanner/security program although if your being tracked then maybe that isn't a good idea.

I did notice that the battery usage was quite high, so that's definitely a warning sign. I'm definitely going to scan my phone, thanks for the advice Flurrin!
  • Flag - usa
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
If you need anything, just ask me! My inbox is always open and I’m more than happy to help.

Offline huskyhidden

• Red Level
  • Candies: 3
    • DeviantArt - ahiddenhusky
    • Twitter - ArcadeZMC
    • my cool internet site
  • Fursona Species: Wolf
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 09:38:00 pm »
what phone do you have?
and is it rooted/jailbroken?
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His
this is a signature

profile picture by ummkayz https://ummkayz.deviantart.com

Offline horvabarna

• "Liquid Doge" - Easle 2017
  • Orange Level
  • Candies: 7
  • I don't know what I'm doing.
    • DeviantArt - Horvabarna
  • Fursona Species: wolf
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2017, 10:11:22 am »
Background apps can't be tracked in IOS, unfortunately, and Apple does everything in their power to keep the user from accessing the phones internal storage. And if the phone is not jailbroken the tracking app must be from the app store, which means that most antivirus programs will probably not see it as a threat.

This is certainly very suspicious. If you have an iPhone (I'm assuming you do) you should check what apps are installed in the app store.For Android, you will find the applications menu in the settings. Look out for any you don't recognize and if you find any try to uninstall them. Another option would be to factory reset your phone and create a new Apple ID. This would most likely delete the tracking application (if there is one) and disable any parental controls (if there are any) that are currently active. If your parents do have parental controls setup it might not let you reset your phone.
  • Flag - hungary
  • Pride Flag - asexual

Offline Shia

• Twitter - discomanokit
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2017, 01:35:21 pm »
what phone do you have?
and is it rooted/jailbroken?

I have an iPhone 4s. It's not rooted or jailbroken, but I have heard that some apps on the store can access things without it being rooted.

Background apps can't be tracked in IOS, unfortunately, and Apple does everything in their power to keep the user from accessing the phones internal storage. And if the phone is not jailbroken the tracking app must be from the app store, which means that most antivirus programs will probably not see it as a threat.

This is certainly very suspicious. If you have an iPhone (I'm assuming you do) you should check what apps are installed in the app store.For Android, you will find the applications menu in the settings. Look out for any you don't recognize and if you find any try to uninstall them. Another option would be to factory reset your phone and create a new Apple ID. This would most likely delete the tracking application (if there is one) and disable any parental controls (if there are any) that are currently active. If your parents do have parental controls setup it might not let you reset your phone.

Thanks for the advice! Unfortunately, Apple's parental restrictions block the app store so it is hidden. I can't find out what apps I have, besides through Battery Usage. There aren't any unusual apps there, however... it's really weird.
  • Flag - usa
  • Pride Flag - bisexual

Offline horvabarna

• Orange Level
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 01:56:41 pm »
Can you explain a bit more about what happens ? Like does the phone freeze when the black screen appears?

A workaround might be to get a secondary device.
  • Flag - hungary
  • Pride Flag - asexual

Offline Shia

• Twitter - discomanokit
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2017, 02:02:43 pm »
Example: I'm on Twitter, browsing #fursuits. Usually 8 minutes into, the screen will go black and a loading circle appears. It doesn't go away until I reboot the phone. On Safari, I go to unblocked furry sites. When I press on a page, it does the same loading circle, or the phone freezes. It's really weird.

And yeah definitely! Idk how I'll be able to get data or pay for it though. I think my parents might have Wireshark on the Wifi. They mentioned that they took away my laptop and sold it due to "furries and privacy concern", so that was definitely strange. But they haven't mentioned it in over 2 years, so idk what's going on.
  • Flag - usa
  • Pride Flag - bisexual

Offline horvabarna

• Orange Level
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2017, 02:17:23 pm »
Example: I'm on Twitter, browsing #fursuits. Usually 8 minutes into, the screen will go black and a loading circle appears. It doesn't go away until I reboot the phone. On Safari, I go to unblocked furry sites. When I press on a page, it does the same loading circle, or the phone freezes. It's really weird.

And yeah definitely! Idk how I'll be able to get data or pay for it though. I think my parents might have Wireshark on the Wifi. They mentioned that they took away my laptop and sold it due to "furries and privacy concern", so that was definitely strange. But they haven't mentioned it in over 2 years, so idk what's going on.
This is very suspicious, I don't think any tracking app would crash your phone like that, but it's way too specific to be a bug or something.
I think it might be possible to disable parental controls with the apple ID or with iTunes.

You could try setting up a hotspot from your current phone, and there are a lot of really cheap android phones out there, especially used.
You could try a VPN like tunnel bear, but since the app store is blocked and your parents will most likely not let you install it, this is not really an option.

"Privacy concerns"? I have heard a lot of weird and shitty excuses from parents, but this one takes the cake.
  • Flag - hungary
  • Pride Flag - asexual

Offline Shia

• Twitter - discomanokit
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2017, 02:40:50 pm »

This is very suspicious, I don't think any tracking app would crash your phone like that, but it's way too specific to be a bug or something.
I think it might be possible to disable parental controls with the apple ID or with iTunes.

You could try setting up a hotspot from your current phone, and there are a lot of really cheap android phones out there, especially used.
You could try a VPN like tunnel bear, but since the app store is blocked and your parents will most likely not let you install it, this is not really an option.

"Privacy concerns"? I have heard a lot of weird and shitty excuses from parents, but this one takes the cake.

Haha I agree! It's outrageous, especially considering the kinds of things some people my age will do online (such as sending nudes, doing drugs, etc.) and then what I do online (draw dogs with happy faces, talk to other like minded people, pretend I'm a blue shark fox hybrid). :fox-:P:

And actually the black thing hasn't been appearing recently, once I got my phone update! I do believe it might come back in the future, though. I think the phone update may have overrided anything the tracking would have set up tbh, so there's nothing much I can do except for wait and see.

I really do appreciate your advice, however!
  • Flag - usa
  • Pride Flag - bisexual

Offline Shia

• Twitter - discomanokit
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2017, 02:57:32 pm »
Update: I just had this thing happen again, but I was on Pandora this time. Sort of strange tbh.
  • Flag - usa
  • Pride Flag - bisexual