Author Topic: An unnecessarily long introduction to an unnecessarily short person  (Read 463 times)

Offline Gilded Tabby Tiger

• Red Level
  • Cookies: 2
    • FurAffinity - GildedTabbyTiger
  • Fursona Species: Golden Tiger
Hello everyone. Any public identification or validation is rather new to me, so you'll have to do me a favor and bear with me. I'll start out with calling myself GildedTabbyTiger, after my favorite animal. (If you don't know what I am talking about, look up, "golden tiger") That is a username, not a character name and obviously not a real name. I have no character to speak of and no interest in sharing my personal information, so lets just stick to that.

On that note, I'd like to offer a sincere apology for lying about my age. I have been brought up with the training that a minor should not share personal information online, which is why I just put down a random date. Regardless, I would like you to know that I am in my mid teens, right in this site's target demographic, and it should cause no problems anyway because I have no interest in the mature section. I feel better for apologizing, and I might share my actual age at a later date, when I'm more comfortable here.

Let me begin with some background on my background here. My story is akin to so many of us here, and I'm sure that anyone who has cause to be reading this can relate to some part. It begins when I am little, because I was a serious stuffed animal kid. I had an entire trundle (A pull out bed underneath a normal bed frame) full of them to the point of maintaining pressure, and they all had names and stories. Even those who I won at carnivals and were made out of the cheapest, roughest fabric imaginable held love. I was so emotionally attached that I cried for an hour when I had to give some away during a move.

None of that changed as I aged, I just called it different names. I became a "Stuffed animal collector" and played with my younger sister the same way. I kept asking for and getting more, and they still maintained a connection to me. When I got scared, my 50 inch lion watched the foot of my bed. My penguin was something to hug when I was sad, and a pillow while I read. These animals all reside with me today, in mind and body, just in cabinets now.

Like many of you, I was tormented by voices both outside and inside. Self consciousness from my weight (I have an incredibly dense body style, and a weak metabolism to boot. I have never been able to drop weight, regardless of my efforts, and so I have always had a little belly fat and some around my sides. That goes for numerical weight to; I hit 100 in third grade and I currently am 175 lbs. at 5'6".) mingled with jibes from my peers, on any number of topics. In third grade I was mocked for stomach issues, while fourth brought the short jokes. It also didn't take long for them to catch on to my extreme naiveté or my slightly feminine demeanor, two problems that my private-school upbringing failed to address.

It takes no genius to figure out what comes from this, so I'll let you fill in the blank with the verbal horror stories I'm sure you know all too well. Due to (or maybe the cause of) this, I had no friends or social relationships and little social contact. As this was in middle school and my parents were restrictive, I had no open ears online either. So I turned to the friends that I count on: books.

I was a voracious speed reader and needed a series to keep my attention for extended periods of time, so I found in my school library the longest, most complex, most cliché series I could find (shout it out if you know what I'm going to say); Warriors. Those books were the shoulder that I cried on over the year where I was called faggot every day, and my solace when someone asked me why I was so heavy. Reading them when I was in need of help, I wished nothing more than to be one of those cats. To have clear cut rules in a world of four feet, where friends were there for life and the story never stopped when the book ended. That feeling went on for almost two years, when I finally found real friends that I could trust, and those books still mean allot to me today.

Moving on, I found my way to the fandom as did the vast majority of members did; namely, the internet. I had felt lost in what I was interested in, so I started just sitting on YouTube, idly watching videos to pass the time. For no reason I could tell, I started gravitating towards game characters, animated shows, and other media with the common factor of being animals. Despite having no interest in mindless entertainment, I looked at fan art of these characters, and saw the word connecting these artists. I metaphorically opened the door, and instantly recognized the people inside as similar to me. I found connections with strangers I never thought I would share with friends, and discovered the kindness and tolerance embodied in the fandom. And I was happy.

Briefly, anyway. I kept it to myself for a year, and I made a couple attempts to open contact with others. None were successful, because I felt guilty hiding something from my parents. So, with apprehension, I walked straight into my first mistake. In an open emotional session, I tried to tell my mother of what I had found and how I felt about it, and the second I mentioned the word furry she asked, “Isn’t that the weird sexual thing from CSI?:” Not that she wasn’t accepting, just badly misinformed. With that dead end reached, I told her I was clean and went back underground, accounts for the two years where I have been until now.

I have no interest in alienating myself from the current social position that I occupy, as the bullying has toned down enough that I can deal with just my friend groups.  I go to a [pretentious] gifted school, where there is horrific stigma for deviating from the norm at all, so any revelation I make will be my undoing. I do have two furry friends, but neither of them are close enough for me to trust them with this information. Therefore, I think that is the metaphorical spot that I am going to hang out in, unless something changes drastically.

Anyway, I would like to thank you all for reading this far, at least to those that did. I believe that an intro should at least have some personal context, so here are some things about me.
I’m a relatively intelligent male attending high school, and I am getting high b’s in the advanced program. I play flute, piano, and some guitar, and can sing passably. (I’m a bass, but I can sing in my falsetto just as well.) I have no artistic talent, but I have a penchant for smart looking design. I have done TaeKwonDo for about a year now, and my only party trick is that I have a full split. I am bisexual, (I have never admitted that before, so I guess that makes this coming out?) and I have never been in a serious relationship. I listen to mostly folk and rock, but I listen to whatever I feel like on particular days. I have talent in writing, and that is how I express myself when I choose to. ((I write for the school paper) I think that sums me up pretty well. I thank you all, and I look forward to coming more out of my shell as time goes on.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 10:54:11 pm by Gilded Tabby Tiger »
  • Flag - usa
  • Pronouns: He/him/his
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice. -Neil Peart.            Just remeber that.

Online BerryCake550

• Stock Image Smuggler
  • Blue Level
  • Cookies: 146
  • chocolate macandeeum
  • Fursona Species: Fennec fox + Rat
Re: An unnecessarily long introduction to an unnecessarily short person
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 11:33:08 pm »
Welcome to the Forum 8) I play guitar as well! Do you happen to like STP and what are your favorite bands?
  • Award - Easter Egg Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - androgynous
  • Pride Flag - genderqueer
"I never set out to be weird, it was always other people who called me weird" - Frank Zappa
:shrimp:

• Red Level
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 11:38:16 pm »
If you are refferimg to the Stone Temple Pilots, I have heard of them but never listened to their work. My favorite musical arist in general is Paul Simon, especially when he works with Garfunkle, but I appreciate all of the rock/ classic rock greats. Everything from Eric Clapton to Billy Joel.
  • Flag - usa
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice. -Neil Peart.            Just remeber that.

Offline Mar

• ★⋆ Call me Mommy ⋆★
  • Blue Level
  • Cookies: 52
  • ⋆★ Everything at once ★⋆
    • DeviantArt - Lions-Game
  • Fursona Species: Kytsekeiru
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 11:57:21 pm »
   Hello there, it's very nice to meet you! If you don't mind me asking, are you self taught in piano or did you learn from someone else? Do you have a favorite song to play or sing? Also, I don't quite think you would, but do you know, or watch any animes? Pardon the multitude of questions. ^^*
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Flag - france
  • Award - Halloween Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - polyamorous
  • Pronouns: They/Them
  • Award - Graphic Artist
~ Hello There ~

Offline Faithfull Von'Haselhain

• L'oreal..
  • Board Moderator
  • Cookies: 349
  • I'm worth it.
  • Fursona Species: Vampiric Tiger
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 01:24:18 am »
Phew what a long intro, I genuinely applaud your for this.  :shock:

Anyways, welcome to the forum! If you have any questions or concerns, don't hesitate to contact the staff. ^^
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
▬▬▬▬▬▬⌘ஜ۩۞۩ஜ⌘▬▬▬▬▬▬
Chaotic Good ⧱ Bard/cleric ⧱ Faithfull's admirers'ENFJ ⧱ Hufflepuff ⧱ Pisces/Earth Tiger
▬▬▬▬⤪۩۞۩⤭▬▬▬▬

• Red Level
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 06:26:23 am »
   Hello there, it's very nice to meet you! If you don't mind me asking, are you self taught in piano or did you learn from someone else? Do you have a favorite song to play or sing? Also, I don't quite think you would, but do you know, or watch any animes? Pardon the multitude of questions. ^^*

No, it's perfectly fine, I do it all the time. I took piano lessons for five years, and left about two years ago. I am self-taught in singing. While I am still rather new to singing, I enjoy Through the Years by Kenny Rogers, as it it an emotional song and sits right inside my comfortable range. I don't watch any anime, though. I have nothing against it, it just hasn't overlapped with any of my interests yet.
  • Flag - usa

Offline Taxi

• Cookies: 378
  • Art by Iowyena & Liannakai
    • DeviantArt - rroad
    • Twitter - yellowcabdog
  • Fursona Species: Canine
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 01:33:23 pm »
Welcome to the forum!! You mentioned loving the Warriors series, so I thought you'd like to know that we have a Warriors discussion thread on here :3
  • Flag - usa
  • Site Donor
  • Award - Easter Egg Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - pansexual
  • Pronouns: she/her/hers

• Red Level
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 02:18:04 pm »
Welcome to the forum!! You mentioned loving the Warriors series, so I thought you'd like to know that we have a Warriors discussion thread on here :3
  I already checked it out. Thanks!
  • Flag - usa

Offline Alastair

• Cookies: 178
  • Fursona Species: Dragon
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 03:33:13 pm »
Welcome to FT!! :fox-:):

I just have to compliment you on your music taste, folk and rock (and folk-rock!) are my favorite genres as well, and Simon & Garfunkel are a couple of my very favorite musical artists! Just out of curiosity, are you familiar with The Moody Blues, Dan Fogelberg, Gordon Lightfoot, Al Stewart, or Don McLean? I play the guitar as well, and though I can't play them, I really admire those who can play the flute and piano too (and sing), so props to you.

As Faithfull said, please don't hesitate to contact the staff with questions or concerns! I look forward to seeing you around the forums!!
  • Award - Easter Egg Hunt gold
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His

Avatar by Egg66E on Chicken Smoothie. Signature image by Jishokoi on Chicken Smoothie.

Offline Shope the dope

• *Screams about Bucky*
  • Blue Level
  • Cookies: 141
  • Broadcasting live from area 51!
    • Twitter - @harvest_luna
  • Fursona Species: Jackalope
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2017, 04:16:19 pm »
Nice to meet ya!
  • Flag - usa
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
  Sew up your skull, take your time, and we'll be just fine.
My twitter: https://twitter.com/harvest_luna
My Redbubble shop: https://www.redbubble.com/people/thundersnowart?asc=u
Don't be weird. http://www.thiscrush.com/~shopepapilloma   <3

• Red Level
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2017, 06:28:03 pm »
Thank you for your kind words, Alastair. I am quite familiar with those artists, and Dan Fogelberg's Leader of the Band is a family favorite. I wish that I could actually play guitar enough to play a true song at all, much less a song I like. Good luck on your studies, though.
  • Flag - usa

Offline Mathfur

• Red Level
  • Cookies: 15
  • ask me about my math~
  • Fursona Species: Marten (usually)
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2017, 11:16:57 pm »
Good to meet you! I like your prose. You should share more of your writing.
Welcome to the site!
  • Pronouns: he/them/it/she(?)

• Red Level
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2017, 06:08:49 am »
Thank you. Everyone must have something to take pride in.
  • Flag - usa

Offline FloofLord

• herderpy blerpy
  • Red Level
  • Cookies: 3
  • hi i lurk a lot
    • Twitter - Erillianbird
  • Fursona Species: cat-dragon
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2017, 03:23:25 am »
damn you really are good at writing, definitely better than alot of fanfiction ive read. welcome, hope you like it here! :pawheart:
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pronouns: he/they
doot doot

Online Mystic

• California Dreams
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 855
  • Lesbian Kitty
    • FurAffinity - MysticSolstice
    • Twitter - MysticSolstice
  • Fursona Species: Cow
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2017, 09:40:39 am »
Welcome to FT! :pawheart: What are some of your favourite movies and TV shows?
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - lesbian
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
  • Award - Graphic Artist

| ToyHou.se | ThisCrush | Q&A |
Icon by Cupcake | Signature by Circuitslime

• Red Level
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2017, 01:13:00 am »
I watch little TV at the moment, but I used to be a serious HOUSE, MD. watcher. I haave been looking foward to a doctoral career ever since I realized that "astronaut wasn't a viable choice.
  • Flag - usa

Offline Alastair

• Cookies: 178
  • Fursona Species: Dragon
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2017, 09:08:07 am »
Thank you for your kind words, Alastair. I am quite familiar with those artists, and Dan Fogelberg's Leader of the Band is a family favorite. I wish that I could actually play guitar enough to play a true song at all, much less a song I like. Good luck on your studies, though.
That's awesome!! It's seldom that I meet anyone who's heard of any of those people, so it always makes me happy when I do. :fox-:P: If you ever want to talk about music or anything else, my inbox in always open!
And I encourage you to continue learning guitar!! It can definitely be frustrating to learn at first, but the end result is super rewarding. I don't know what level you're at with guitar now, but I'd be happy to give you some song recommendations if you'd like -- there are some really good songs out there that are surprisingly simple to play. :fox-:):
  • Award - Easter Egg Hunt gold
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His

Avatar by Egg66E on Chicken Smoothie. Signature image by Jishokoi on Chicken Smoothie.

• Red Level
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2017, 03:25:23 pm »
My playing level is absolute beginner. I usually am not able to practice on my own, and I don't have the money to take lessons. Therefore, I know basically nothing .
  • Flag - usa