Author Topic: How do I explain to my family what a furry and furry convention is?  (Read 119 times)

Offline Joltspark

• Cookies: 4
  • Commissions are open, more info on my FA
    • FurAffinity - Joltspark
    • Twitter - JoltDragonfire
  • Fursona Species: Sabertoothed wolf dragon
I've always wanted to go to a furry convention and since Califur is coming up soon and I'm not too far away, I thought I could ask my parents to take me. My mom doesn't drive and my dad might not be able to take me since he works late and since we're going out for dinner on Saturday for my cousin's birthday, she said we could ask her or one of my other cousins to take me. Problem is, I'm pretty sure they don't know what a furry is and when I was telling my mom about the convention, she asked what it was about. All I told her was that is was a costume convention where people meet up, hang out, and look at art. That's it, said nothing about furries. I told her what the community was a year or so ago (for some reason) but I'm positive she forgot. How do I tell them what a furry is and what a furry convention is?
  • Flag - usa
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Online jello_magmortar

• not a borb, do not even start.
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 76
  • drinking tea in a tree somewhere.
  • Fursona Species: bat/dragon mix
Re: How do I explain to my family what a furry and furry convention is?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 01:29:20 pm »
if you explain a comic or anime convention to her and tell her its the same thing but just about animals, you should be fine.

make sure to explain what an anthropomorphic animal is to her to and that fursuits are just a furrys form of cosplay.

Offline Scribe

• Official Summer Hater (ish)
  • Yellow Level
  • Cookies: 30
  • I spend way too much time thinking about this stuf
  • Fursona Species: Dutch Angel Dragon
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 02:35:40 pm »
I've always wanted to go to a furry convention and since Califur is coming up soon and I'm not too far away, I thought I could ask my parents to take me. My mom doesn't drive and my dad might not be able to take me since he works late and since we're going out for dinner on Saturday for my cousin's birthday, she said we could ask her or one of my other cousins to take me. Problem is, I'm pretty sure they don't know what a furry is and when I was telling my mom about the convention, she asked what it was about. All I told her was that is was a costume convention where people meet up, hang out, and look at art. That's it, said nothing about furries. I told her what the community was a year or so ago (for some reason) but I'm positive she forgot. How do I tell them what a furry is and what a furry convention is?
Also don't let her wander off and do some research by herself. She might find the stereotypical bad stuff about furries, so you might want to tell her about it asap.

I would say showing her one of those videos on Youtube about "oh no my kids a furry" is a bad idea, because it makes the furry fandom look like a bigger deal than it really is. So I would suggest a very casual approach, and don't act like its a big deal! As I said, if you do, she'll be worried, so take it nice and slow.

On the way to introduce her, I completely agree with Jello, and I think it is probably the best idea. Make sure to explain to her what a furry is (something among the lines of "someone who likes anthropomorphic animals"), and don't stress about it.

tbh just make sure to not to be worried or shy about it, just answer the questions as if you were answering the questions to a quiz.
  • Flag - usa
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pride Flag - pansexual
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His
“I think the saddest people always try their hardest to make people happy because they know what it’s like to feel absolutely worthless and they don’t want anyone else to feel like that.”

― Robin Williams
Profile art by Panda!

Offline Moth

• Blue Level
  • Cookies: 75
    • DeviantArt - PrinceDeathDefying
    • FurAffinity - gotebloke
    • Twitter - gotebloke
  • Fursona Species: Monster
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 05:03:23 pm »
Show her convention videos with fursuits in them and some impressive furry art and explain that it's a creative outlet. ^^ Most parents in my experience are willing to support something they think is a way for their kid to be creative and create art.
  • Flag - denmark
  • Award - Easter Egg Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - pansexual
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (US): 1-800-273-8255
{ Toyhouse | Thiscrush | Avatar by Aspen }