Author Topic: Colored contacts  (Read 200 times)

Offline Blas

• Blue Level
  • Candy: 80
  • Fursona Species: Goat
Colored contacts
« on: March 04, 2018, 09:20:03 pm »
I put this in artwork because it's fashion/cosplay related, but I wasn't sure where to put it.
I was curious if anybody has knowledge on colored contacts. Where would I buy them, and more importantly, are they safe? Which place is the safest/highest quality? I've been wanting some for a while but obviously I don't want to risk my eyesight or an infection.
  • Flag - denmark
  • Award - Easter Egg Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pronouns: he/him/his/they/them/theirs
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (US): 1-800-273-8255
{ Thiscrush | Avatar by who Myself }

Offline Nova ♪

• Mom Dragon
  • Sitewide Moderator
  • Candy: 359
  • Avi by clear_eclair
    • FurAffinity - SenseiMac
    • Twitter - novapinkdrago
    • Portfolio
  • Fursona Species: Dragon
Re: Colored contacts
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 09:52:08 pm »
I have used them in cosplay!

Do not EVER buy from an online site or anything, or at least without consulting your optometrist. They use different plastics where they're manufactured, and since they're medical items you really don't wanna risk putting random stuff in your eyes. Some people are fine, but others end up losing some or all of their vision, get infections, pink eye, etc.

That being said, this will limit your color options. I've purchased pink and hazel colored contacts via my eye doctor, and they're much lighter than the ones you see online. But they do work very well on me, since I have light blue eyes--pink not as much, but hazel DEFINITELY. If you have dark eyes, it will be hard to go lighter. But, definitely get them ONLY at the eye doctor. Plus, this way you can make sure your prescription is totally correct, and you can try them out without dropping a ton of money on foreign ones in case they don't fit, feel uncomfortable, etc.

The best ones I've found have been dailies that you can reuse with good cleaning. A 6 pack is expensive though, especially if your eyes have different prescriptions like me. It really depends on how dedicated you are to wearing them while cosplaying. I've heard Air Optix Colors work well! I forgot the brand I bought.

As far as cosplay goes, the effect is limited. Most pictures you'll take will be in hallways and stuff. If you're doing a professional shoot, then they can be helpful, but usually either I or the photographer just photoshop some color in.

In the end, it's up to you how worth it the look is. If your character has really specific eyes (like ones that you'd need sclera lenses for) then try calling around for theatrical and movie production costume shops and see what they suggest. Or, just photoshop. I'd always recommend photoshop over actually spending money on contacts if you can help it.

EDIT:

Here are some pictures that I've taken with colored contacts. Like I said, they're VERY subtle. The online ones have better coverage color-wise, but it's very unsafe to buy them online, despite any reviews you may find.

pink:
(right pic)

(this is with photoshop brightening)

(subtler)

yellow/green:
(the rare instance where the light caught it)

hazel:
(left)

« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 10:02:01 pm by Red Velvet »
  • Flag - usa
  • Pride Flag - demisexual
  • Pride Flag - heteroflexible
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
  • Award - Graphic Artist

Offline jello_magmortar

• icon by nova.
  • Blue Level
  • Candy: 117
  • drinking tea in a tree somewhere.
    • FurAffinity - milkywaywishes~
    • Twitter - @wishesmilkyway
  • Fursona Species: bat/dragon mix
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 06:38:36 am »
i have always wanted some sort of colored contacts.
  • Flag - usa
  • Pride Flag - panromantic
  • Pronouns: he/him
  • Award - Graphic Artist

|*✭˚・゚✧*・゚* thiscrush ✭˚・゚✧*・゚*|
pm for discord and 3ds friend code

Offline Brooklyn

• Not Made For This World
  • Retired Staff
  • Candy: 391
  • Icon by Iowyena!
  • Fursona Species: Manokit
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 03:32:53 pm »
I have seen some colored contacts at a convention before. Are the ones sold in booths reputable?
  • Flag - usa
  • Site Donor
  • Pronouns: she/her/hers

Offline Blas

• Blue Level
  • Candy: 80
  • Fursona Species: Goat
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2018, 09:39:05 pm »
Thanks for all the info RV! That's incredibly helpful. I have lighter eyes so hopefully they'll show up better. I'll ask my eye doctor about it.
  • Flag - denmark
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pronouns: he/him/his/they/them/theirs
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (US): 1-800-273-8255
{ Thiscrush | Avatar by who Myself }

Offline Nova ♪

• Mom Dragon
  • Sitewide Moderator
  • Candy: 359
  • Avi by clear_eclair
    • FurAffinity - SenseiMac
    • Twitter - novapinkdrago
    • Portfolio
  • Fursona Species: Dragon
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2018, 10:12:29 pm »
I have seen some colored contacts at a convention before. Are the ones sold in booths reputable?

I've never seen that :0 I'd be cautious, especially if they bought them online via honeycolor or something. It'd be one thing if they were optometrists and had their certification at the booth, but idk. Sounds kinda sketch to me

And YW! Glad to help!
  • Flag - usa
  • Pride Flag - demisexual
  • Pride Flag - heteroflexible
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
  • Award - Graphic Artist