Author Topic: IP addresses  (Read 259 times)

Offline winstonthemess

• Red Level
  • Cookies: 1
  • hiding in your piano
  • Fursona Species: Owl-fox-cat-badger
IP addresses
« on: February 28, 2019, 01:24:18 pm »
so...I’m kind of confused as to why mods need to see my IP. Why is it on here? What do they use it for? Can I request for it not to be used? I don’t want to be identified on here as I’m trying to stay anonymous because as everyone knows not everyone loves furries. Then again I’m paranoid in general so maybe this is just an ‘oh, typical Winston’ *laugh track plays* moment
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His

Offline winstonthemess

• Red Level
  • Cookies: 1
  • hiding in your piano
  • Fursona Species: Owl-fox-cat-badger
Re: IP addresses
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2019, 01:25:23 pm »
tbh there’s quite a lot of creepy stuff on here. Why does it log the total time I’ve spent on the site? Why does it show what times of day I’m on? Yall don’t need to know that...

Offline Saint Judas

• The Dreamwalker
  • Purple Level
  • Cookies: 190
  • Deaf to my own Calling
  • Fursona Species: Rataven
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2019, 01:33:46 pm »
I think showing what time of day your on is just a consequence of it already tracking your IP in general.

As for why it does that, a couple things I think. Most forums track the IP address of registered members, I think it might even be built in, but it also helps solve debates about needing to get stuff changed or fixed, and makes sure that problem members can be dealt with (ie if a toxic member gets banned, they can make sure that IP doesn't come back so someone can't just make a new account and come back)

I don't think for the most part though, they necessarily use it for anything, it just helps keep track of when you log in.... I'm not sure about not using it, but I'm sure a staff member will have a better answer for that. As for not everyone loving furries, this place is specifically supposed to be inclusive and safe for furries, so you are safe there, FurryTeens doesn't allow any sort of harassment over that issue, and no one should be able to do anything to you from just that from here >_>;
Steam
You are always welcome to critique my art or debate anything I say. Requests are currently closed

Offline Marc <3

• monochromatic puppies
  • Red Level
  • Cookies: 9
  • *Insert Self-Degrading Joke*
    • Twitter - marc_the_3d_man
    • monochromatic puppies - official website
  • Fursona Species: American Pit Bull Terrier
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2019, 01:35:52 pm »
If there were to be a case in which a malicious user creates multiple accounts, staff members can blacklist their IP address. This temporarily disables that user from accessing FT, until their modem creates a new IP address.

FT tracks how many times you've posted, and how long you've been online, only for statistical reasons. (personally, I don't see how else it could be used.)
  • Flag - usa
  • Pride Flag - gay
  |  LOVE Y'ALL SO MUCH!  :shaking2:  |  Discord: Marc <3#3397  | 

Offline batty ♡

• FT's local pink bat
  • Cookies: 192
  • icon(c): Serana
    • DeviantArt - heartsickdreams
    • FurAffinity - shybattie
    • Twitter - heartsickdreams
  • Fursona Species: leaf-nosed bat
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2019, 02:02:51 pm »
Essentially, what Marc said. We use IP addresses so users who have been banned can't make more accounts, and we blacklist them. We promise we never release the addresses, heck, most of us forget we even can see the IP's until we have an issue with a member. I don't even know 100% how they work honestly.

Also, onyl admins and maybe sitewide mods can see IPs. None of our staff members would use IP Addresses maliciously.
The tracking system is for statistical reasons, yes. Adding on to what Judas said, this is a safe space for young furries, we don't allow toxic people onto our board. Your profile can only be viewed by members, that we've accepted.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 02:13:40 pm by batty ♡ »
  • Flag - usa
  • Award - Easter Egg Hunt silver
  • Award - Halloween Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
  • Pronouns: they/them/their or she/her
  • Award - Graphic Artist

Offline Sugar

• Let the voice of love
  • Purple Level
  • Cookies: 205
  • take you higher!
    • DeviantArt - swervemeister
    • Twitter - swervemeister
  • Awards:
    Flag - xmaslight
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2019, 04:46:12 pm »
A majority of social media sites track your ip. Usually this is to alert you if someone from a different location accesses your account.
  • Award - Easter Egg Hunt silver
  • Pronouns: she/her/hers

THE TASTE OF A LIAR

Offline Toastie ❤

• wowzers
  • Cookies: 91
    • DeviantArt - Toastiefur
    • Twitter - ToastieFur
  • Fursona Species: Cow
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2019, 06:07:25 pm »
tbh there’s quite a lot of creepy stuff on here. Why does it log the total time I’ve spent on the site? Why does it show what times of day I’m on? Yall don’t need to know that...
Just to bust this, it's most likely the forum's location is just your local time. I had to manually switch mine to aussie time, even though I have an Australia IP! And this isn't an unusual thing, allot of sites and forums do this ^^ How would you know what time someone posted?

EDIT: fixed grammar
  • Flag - australia
  • Pride Flag - nonbinary
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
  • Pronouns: They/Them

Never Give Up!
Icon by Pridark  and Sig by Sqwibbs

Offline Panda ★

• ✧・゚: *✧・゚:*
  • Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 690
    • DeviantArt - cocoapanda
    • FurAffinity - cocoapanda
  • Fursona Species: Platypus
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2019, 06:09:34 pm »
What everyone else said is correct; we just have it in case we need to IP ban. Even I forgot that's info we have, honestly  :fox-:P: The most the forum software tells us (if we are manually looking for it) is the general continent.
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pride Flag - aromantic
  • Pronouns: They/them
  • Award - Graphic Artist

Feels like hanging at the end
Don't turn away, take it slow
You got to stay as you are

Offline Meadow Whisper (Natasha)

• ᎣᏏᏲ! I'm a horse now! ^.^
  • FT Founder
  • Cookies: 406
    • DeviantArt - lupiniastudios
    • FurAffinity - softpaw
    • Twitter - lupinia
    • Weasyl - softpaw
    • Lupinia Studios
  • Fursona Species: Chincoteague Pony
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2019, 04:08:17 pm »
Also, to clarify:  Every website on this planet logs your IP address and basic statistics about your activity.  And every website on this planet where you have an account logs your IP address in connection with your account and your activity, for security purposes that have already been articulated.  The only real difference is that FT is a lot more up-front and transparent about it than most social sites.
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Here is a horse I have made for you:
        |,\_/,\_
 ,-__/,   ,       )kk
.                     \,kkk
 \    ,___....--     \kkkk
           \               \kkkkk
             \               \kkkkk

Note:  I'm no longer actively involved in running this site, so while I welcome any personal messages, please do not contact me about account issues.  Please direct all such inquiries to Panda.  Thanks for all the years of awesome memories and friendship!  <3