Author Topic: What Are "Cookies"?  (Read 4095 times)

Offline Meadow Whisper (Natasha)

• ᎣᏏᏲ! I'm a horse now! ^.^
  • FT Founder
  • Candies: 397
    • DeviantArt - lupiniastudios
    • FurAffinity - softpaw
    • Twitter - lupinia
    • Weasyl - softpaw
    • Lupinia Studios
  • Fursona Species: Chincoteague Pony
What Are "Cookies"?
« on: September 04, 2008, 05:17:28 am »
Every once in awhile, the question is asked.  What are "cookies"?  Well, beyond the obvious answer ("they're sweet, tasty pastries that are perfect in every way"), they're also used on this forum as a sort of reputation/reward system.

In every user profile, and next to each post, there's a line marked "Cookies" with a number.  This number represents how many "cookies" the user has received.

How do I give cookies?
Under the "Cookies" line next to each post, there's a link labeled "Give Me A Cookie!".  Clicking this link will give the user +1 cookies.  However, to prevent abuse, the link only shows up once you have a postcount of 10 or higher.

When I give cookies, does it reduce my own cookie count?
Nope!  Once you have cookies, they can't be removed, unless an administrator tampers with the database.  Giving a cookie to another user effectively creates a "new" cookie, much like baking your own batch at home and giving them to friends.

Can anyone take away my cookies?
Nope.  We experimented with this initially, but due to abuse, we decided to make it a reward-only system.  So, cookies can only be given.  And if you feel that someone shouldn't have a cookie, just don't give them one.

Can I find out who gave me cookies?
Nope.  The cookie system is designed to be anonymous, so there's no interface to find out where your cookies came from.

If anyone has any further questions on the subject, they can be asked in this thread.  However, since this thread is now part of the official New User reading material, any off-topic discussions will be split or deleted.

Enjoy your cookies!  And give lots of them, because cookies always make furries happy :-D :-D
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 07:10:05 pm by Natasha Softpaw »
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Here is a horse I have made for you:
        |,\_/,\_
 ,-__/,   ,       )kk
.                     \,kkk
 \    ,___....--     \kkkk
           \               \kkkkk
             \               \kkkkk

Note:  I'm no longer actively involved in running this site, so while I welcome any personal messages, please do not contact me about account issues.  Please direct all such inquiries to Panda.  Thanks for all the years of awesome memories and friendship!  <3

Offline furry blue fox

• Green Level
  • Candies: 31
Re: What Are "Cookies"?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 03:48:03 pm »
How can we know who we got the cookie from and why we got it?

I have sixteen cookies and I know that I have one from you, for the cutest furry award, but who/what/why are the rest from?
Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Offline Meadow Whisper (Natasha)

• ᎣᏏᏲ! I'm a horse now! ^.^
  • FT Founder
  • Candies: 397
    • DeviantArt - lupiniastudios
    • FurAffinity - softpaw
    • Twitter - lupinia
    • Weasyl - softpaw
    • Lupinia Studios
  • Fursona Species: Chincoteague Pony
Re: What Are "Cookies"?
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 07:08:56 pm »
How can we know who we got the cookie from and why we got it?

I have sixteen cookies and I know that I have one from you, for the cutest furry award, but who/what/why are the rest from?

That's a good question.  The answer is, you can't.  Cookies are anonymous, and there's no way (aside from dumping raw data from the database, which only I can do) to see who gave cookies to whom.
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Here is a horse I have made for you:
        |,\_/,\_
 ,-__/,   ,       )kk
.                     \,kkk
 \    ,___....--     \kkkk
           \               \kkkkk
             \               \kkkkk

Note:  I'm no longer actively involved in running this site, so while I welcome any personal messages, please do not contact me about account issues.  Please direct all such inquiries to Panda.  Thanks for all the years of awesome memories and friendship!  <3