Author Topic: Furry Teens Awards  (Read 10421 times)

Offline Nox

• Blue Level
  • Candies: 60
  • Fursona Species: Dingo
Re: Furry Teens Awards
« Reply #80 on: January 08, 2009, 12:55:33 am »
good point. but it is an admin who awards the award in the end, so they can decide whether it is correct or not. but I agree about the deserving part. and I have no idea about the school vote stuff
  • Flag - original

Offline Princess Rei

• FT Founder
  • Candies: 48
« Reply #81 on: January 08, 2009, 12:43:03 pm »
Actually, we were thinking about creating a separate board for voting.  Not necessarily voting for yourself, but others vote what award you win.

But its kinda sketchy, hence we haven't made it yet.

Offline Nox

• Blue Level
  • Candies: 60
  • Fursona Species: Dingo
« Reply #82 on: January 08, 2009, 06:21:22 pm »
that sounds like a good idea
  • Flag - original

Offline Drakue

• Writer
  • Red Level
  • Candies: 5
  • My "Posts Per Day" will never recover...
    • FurAffinity - Drakue
    • Dark Choices
  • Fursona Species: Wolf
« Reply #83 on: August 11, 2014, 08:44:46 pm »
Well I mean... I know I'm pretty new here (Well, kinda) and I hope I'm not over-stepping my bounds, but I once frequented a forum sort of like this one, only more... well, it was a terrible place really. But! They did have some pretty nifty ideas. One of the badge-like ideas they had was given to a poster who was just genuinely the nicest person, and who gave the best advice. I reckon some kind of recognition award would be good. o:

Voting is all well and good, but it's not much use if people don't have a target to strive for, y'know? So a few more targets (awards) would be handy!

I know stuff like "Graphic Artist" and "Beta tester" can be given multiple times, but should there not be more multiply given away than unique? I mean, that's what makes the unique ones... well, special! That being said, and again, hopefully not stepping on any toes, here's a couple of ideas for awards. >w<

-=-=-=-

The afore-mentioned niceness award, a "Philosopher" award (for deep, philosophical debates and/or questionings), a "Doctor, not my doctor" award (for decent, actually helpful advice on the Teen Health board), a "Networker" award (Of sorts, for PMing and getting to know many of the posters here on a more personal level, yet without coming off as... well, irritating.)... I'm not sure where I'm going with this. The voting idea is still a very good one, but again, I feel people need something to aim at.

Let me know if I'm just being a stupid face. o3o

Offline Meadow Whisper (Natasha)

• ᎣᏏᏲ! I'm a horse now! ^.^
  • FT Founder
  • Candies: 397
    • DeviantArt - lupiniastudios
    • FurAffinity - softpaw
    • Twitter - lupinia
    • Weasyl - softpaw
    • Lupinia Studios
  • Fursona Species: Chincoteague Pony
« Reply #84 on: August 11, 2014, 09:35:29 pm »
Well I mean... I know I'm pretty new here (Well, kinda) and I hope I'm not over-stepping my bounds, but I once frequented a forum sort of like this one, only more... well, it was a terrible place really. But! They did have some pretty nifty ideas. One of the badge-like ideas they had was given to a poster who was just genuinely the nicest person, and who gave the best advice. I reckon some kind of recognition award would be good. o:

Voting is all well and good, but it's not much use if people don't have a target to strive for, y'know? So a few more targets (awards) would be handy!

I know stuff like "Graphic Artist" and "Beta tester" can be given multiple times, but should there not be more multiply given away than unique? I mean, that's what makes the unique ones... well, special! That being said, and again, hopefully not stepping on any toes, here's a couple of ideas for awards. >w<

-=-=-=-

The afore-mentioned niceness award, a "Philosopher" award (for deep, philosophical debates and/or questionings), a "Doctor, not my doctor" award (for decent, actually helpful advice on the Teen Health board), a "Networker" award (Of sorts, for PMing and getting to know many of the posters here on a more personal level, yet without coming off as... well, irritating.)... I'm not sure where I'm going with this. The voting idea is still a very good one, but again, I feel people need something to aim at.

Let me know if I'm just being a stupid face. o3o

The ideas are appreciated!  However, this thread has been dead since 2008/2009, and since then, we actually did implement an Awards system.  In this case, they're given by administrators/staff, primarily, as special recognition for noteworthy accomplishments, or just for really fun things; since each one must be created uniquely, there aren't many of them, and it will likely stay that way.

Most of these suggestions would be really difficult to judge, and impossible if they were recurring (multiple recipients over time), but awards haven't been given out in quite a while, so I imagine Panda and the others will at least consider these.  In the meantime, you can read about the Awards system in its current form (including a list of all current awards) here:  http://www.furryteens.org/forum/index.php?topic=6624.0
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Here is a horse I have made for you:
        |,\_/,\_
 ,-__/,   ,       )kk
.                     \,kkk
 \    ,___....--     \kkkk
           \               \kkkkk
             \               \kkkkk

Note:  I'm no longer actively involved in running this site, so while I welcome any personal messages, please do not contact me about account issues.  Please direct all such inquiries to Panda.  Thanks for all the years of awesome memories and friendship!  <3

Offline Spoopy ★ Panda

• Not a duck!
  • Administrator
  • Candies: 585
  • :*・°☆.。.:*・°☆.。
    • DeviantArt - cocoapanda
    • FurAffinity - cocoapanda
  • Fursona Species: Platypus
« Reply #85 on: August 11, 2014, 09:50:39 pm »
Thank you for the suggestions! We have planned on giving out awards again; but other things have taken priority so it hasn't happened yet.
Your ideas are good, though :D Things like the Philosopher award are pretty much like what the unique awards are, so no problems there. I can imagine some snags in the other ideas, but I will definetly think about them, so feel free to PM me (or Gage) if you'd like to discuss this further <3

Welcome back, by the way!
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pride Flag - androsexual
  • Pronouns: They/them
  • Award - Graphic Artist

Offline STERLING

• Durr Dammit
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 177
  • STERLING
« Reply #86 on: August 12, 2014, 12:01:57 am »
OOH OOH OOH!
OwO *raises hoof* Birthday awards...
Well not really birthdays, but more of anniversary awards. Like get an award for being a member for a year, 2 years, 3, etc.

Maybe...

Offline Sleek

• MoonMoon
  • Sitewide Moderator
  • Candies: 118
  • Gonna Get The Thing
    • DeviantArt - SleekHusky
    • FurAffinity - Sleek34
    • Twitter - SleekHusky
    • Weasyl - SleekHusky
  • Fursona Species: Huskeh
« Reply #87 on: August 12, 2014, 12:40:58 am »
OOH OOH OOH!
Well not really birthdays, but more of anniversary awards. Like get an award for being a member for a year, 2 years, 3, etc.

Maybe...

I like this, something like Steam's award counting how many years you have been a member. However I am not sure how easy it is to script it for the site.
  • Site Donor
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His/They/Them/Their
I try to manage some semi-official gaming events for this forum.
Twitch.tv livestreamer here
FT's Twitch Channel here

Offline Meadow Whisper (Natasha)

• ᎣᏏᏲ! I'm a horse now! ^.^
  • FT Founder
  • Candies: 397
    • DeviantArt - lupiniastudios
    • FurAffinity - softpaw
    • Twitter - lupinia
    • Weasyl - softpaw
    • Lupinia Studios
  • Fursona Species: Chincoteague Pony
« Reply #88 on: August 12, 2014, 12:58:25 am »
OOH OOH OOH!

Maybe...

I like this, something like Steam's award counting how many years you have been a member. However I am not sure how easy it is to script it for the site.

We do have "date registered" in every user's profile, you can always check that; also, user IDs count up incrementally, so you can pretty easily tell how long someone's been around simply by looking at the URL for their profile.  I dunno about making this an award, in the same way as the others, but I can certainly look into displaying it on posts in addition to the profile display :-)
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Here is a horse I have made for you:
        |,\_/,\_
 ,-__/,   ,       )kk
.                     \,kkk
 \    ,___....--     \kkkk
           \               \kkkkk
             \               \kkkkk

Note:  I'm no longer actively involved in running this site, so while I welcome any personal messages, please do not contact me about account issues.  Please direct all such inquiries to Panda.  Thanks for all the years of awesome memories and friendship!  <3

Offline STERLING

• Durr Dammit
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 177
  • STERLING
« Reply #89 on: August 12, 2014, 01:15:12 am »
OOH OOH OOH!

Maybe...

We do have "date registered" in every user's profile, you can always check that; also, user IDs count up incrementally, so you can pretty easily tell how long someone's been around simply by looking at the URL for their profile.  I dunno about making this an award, in the same way as the others, but I can certainly look into displaying it on posts in addition to the profile display :-)

We could do little birthday badges...kinda like the little post paw prints...but instead have like a little number next your name representing how many years you've been here, etc.

Offline Sleek

• MoonMoon
  • Sitewide Moderator
  • Candies: 118
  • Gonna Get The Thing
    • DeviantArt - SleekHusky
    • FurAffinity - Sleek34
    • Twitter - SleekHusky
    • Weasyl - SleekHusky
  • Fursona Species: Huskeh
« Reply #90 on: August 12, 2014, 01:45:52 am »
OOH OOH OOH!

Maybe...

We could do little birthday badges...kinda like the little post paw prints...but instead have like a little number next your name representing how many years you've been here, etc.

Well we do have a birthday cake appear next to your age on your profile on your birthday. But a badge would be pretty cool on a profile too.
  • Site Donor
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His/They/Them/Their
I try to manage some semi-official gaming events for this forum.
Twitch.tv livestreamer here
FT's Twitch Channel here

Offline nastybread

• Green Level
  • Candies: 59
  • go home, tatsumaki
  • Fursona Species: Canine
« Reply #91 on: May 28, 2016, 11:27:12 am »
Eh, we don't really need a site modification for this anyway :-)
Two years later: Natasha introduces awards.

OOH OOH OOH!

Maybe...

Maybe the number of years could be in a star, silver when 2 years, gold when 5 years? IDK, just another idea.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 08:07:21 pm by Pwnda »
  • Pride Flag - pansexual
  • Pride Flag - nonbinary
  • Pronouns: They/them/their

:lgbtheart: Taken by Pyra :lgbtheart:

Offline Easle

• The Most Avid Player of Table Top Games
  • Yellow Level
  • Candies: 53
  • "I EXPLODED A GOBLIN!! WITH THIS STICK!!"
  • Fursona Species: Angel Dragon
« Reply #92 on: May 28, 2016, 02:45:46 pm »
OOH OOH OOH!

Maybe...

Maybe the number of years could be in a star, silver when 2 years, gold when 5 years? IDK, just another idea.
That sounds like it would work, and if you click on it, it's a link to this page.
  • Flag - usa
  • Pronouns: he him his
Why not put some lemonade on his wounds?
In A'kyria
Friend: I pay five gold to make sure this letter gets to him.
Me: Wait, can his character even read?
Him: ...No...

Offline nastybread

• Green Level
  • go home, tatsumaki
« Reply #93 on: May 29, 2016, 03:33:14 pm »
OOH OOH OOH!

Maybe...

That sounds like it would work, and if you click on it, it's a link to this page.
Yeah! This could TOTALLY be a thing! I mean, we might need to polish it up a bit before presenting it to Natasha as an official idea, but for now we can work on improving/elaborating on the idea.
  • Pride Flag - pansexual
  • Pride Flag - nonbinary

Offline Ti'Nari

• Talking to angels and counting the stars
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 42
  • Making a wish on a passing car
  • Fursona Species: yes.
« Reply #94 on: May 29, 2016, 07:47:26 pm »
I don't want to be the one to contradict you two, but the stars would most likely be on the inactive accounts. The only members here that are active and have been around longer than two years are AppleFolf, Shark bait and Back(?) the only  here for five years is (i want to say) Kambo the rest are all staff.

I would suggest making it for active members of over two years
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 07:51:10 pm by Kith »
  • Pronouns: they/theirs/them

Offline Spoopy ★ Panda

• Not a duck!
  • Administrator
« Reply #95 on: May 29, 2016, 08:07:05 pm »
Unless we find a non-questionable script that will automatically do that (Awards aren't an automatic system, every one is input manually), keeping up with those awards would be near-impossible :/
I can barely remember to do more important things on this site half the time, let alone remembering how long every person has been active & updating their awards field @-@

I suppose a compromise would be to make it the user's responsibility to PM us to get their award changed on their anniversary date, but then I'm not sure how to handle dead accounts. A 3-year-old account that eternally has the 1-year award would be a bit weird I think?
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Award - Graphic Artist

Offline Kambo

• Personally knew Abe Lincoln
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 85
  • True story.
    • DeviantArt - kamboblack
    • FurAffinity - harlan
    • Twitter - kamboblack
    • Weasyl - harlan
    • Unfinished Portfolio Site :(
  • Fursona Species: Grey fox
« Reply #96 on: May 31, 2016, 02:44:37 am »
A little input about a script to add awards: that kind of script would have to be changing things both backend and front-end, it wouldn't be able to tell if someone's inactive or not (unless you use the date of last activity, but that wouldn't be perfect), and you'd have to run that script regularly, which can be nasty for the server, depending on tons of other things.

Unless SMF has a convenient, lightweight plugin for that, a script would be more trouble than it's worth.
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His
Feel free to PM me, I don't bite! I reserve that treatment for sushi and pretzels.

Fursona References (Kambo and Camille)

Offline Spoopy ★ Panda

• Not a duck!
  • Administrator
« Reply #97 on: May 31, 2016, 10:28:09 am »
I meant plugin, sorry ^^;
I'm assuming there is one, since that's a common award type & I've seen it on other Simple Machine forums; but looking for plugins isn't a priority
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Award - Graphic Artist

Offline nastybread

• Green Level
  • go home, tatsumaki
« Reply #98 on: May 31, 2016, 04:11:16 pm »
Now that I think about it, Kith does have a point. I think we should think this through a bit more.
For example:
Accounts inactive for a year would get the award taken away (but get it back when they log on? IDK)
  • Pride Flag - pansexual
  • Pride Flag - nonbinary

Offline nastybread

• Green Level
  • go home, tatsumaki
« Reply #99 on: June 27, 2016, 12:49:20 pm »
(Sorry for the double post, I can't edit my last one)
What if we had awards for the users with the top 3 or 5 highest Posts Per Day?
If we did, as of now they are (rounded and from my memory)

1. MysticSolstice - 10 PPD
2. Me (ThatGuyLen) - 7 PPD
3. Shia - 6
  • Pride Flag - pansexual
  • Pride Flag - nonbinary