Author Topic: Movie Review: Still Waiting  (Read 590 times)

Offline Meadow Whisper (Natasha)

• ᎣᏏᏲ! I'm a horse now! ^.^
  • FT Founder
  • Cookies: 403
    • DeviantArt - lupiniastudios
    • FurAffinity - softpaw
    • Twitter - lupinia
    • Weasyl - softpaw
    • Lupinia Studios
  • Fursona Species: Chincoteague Pony
Movie Review: Still Waiting
« on: February 23, 2009, 03:12:47 am »
I originally wrote this for my website, where it will be posted on Wednesday (yay for time-delayed posts).  But, since the movie just came out, and will probably interest many users on this site, I decided to post it here.

EDIT:  This is now available on my website at http://www.softpaw.eu/journal/still-waiting-review.htm

==================

One of my "guilty pleasures" is a fondness for the movie "Waiting".  If you haven't seen it...well, I'd have a hard time recommending it to anyone, on the same level that I'd recommend any other movie.  It's quite possibly one of the most disgusting, poorly-written movies I've ever seen in my life.  Yet, I can't get enough of it, and anyone else who's worked in a restaurant will understand why; despite the poor quality of the film itself, it make a great deal of sense to anyone who's worked in a restaurant, to the point that it redeems itself.  It's like how "Clerks" is viewed by convenience store cashiers, or how "Office Space" is viewed by anyone who's worked in an office with cubicles.

The sequel, "Still Waiting", is about on-par with the original, in terms of film quality.  The writing is considerably better, with a storyline more involved than "these characters work in a restaurant", and character development that blows the doors off of the original in a few places, but there are other elements that feel very unfinished.  And, the acting is just weird.  In the original, it was flat-out bad across the board, with maybe one good performance.  The sequel, however, has an odd conglomeration of acting talent; many of the original actors make return appearances, with greatly-improved skills, but they're joined by a group of no-name n00bs who are so laughably bad that a few scenes made me think I was watching one of those "Scary Movie" parodies of the original (doesn't help that it largely takes place in the exact same location).

On the plus side, the gross-out factor of "Still Waiting" was much lower than in "Waiting".  Despite the fact that I watch it all the time, there are scenes in Waiting that still make my stomach turn.  The humour in this new installment, on the other hand, is more story-based, and while it goes way overboard on sexual content, it's really not that bad.

And, a big positive point for "Still Waiting" is that it knows it's a sequel.  So many movie sequels try to be stand-alones as well as sequels; they want to appeal to people who never saw the original, and create a whole new storyline, while still tying the viewer into the original just enough to give the people who saw the original a warm fuzzy feeling.  So, I'll say this point-blank; if you didn't see "Waiting", "Still Waiting" won't make a damn bit of sense.  It's very purely a sequel, with much of its character development based on the original, and while that doesn't necessarily make it a good movie, the fact that they didn't even try to break it away from the original saved it from being unredeemably bad.  Since "Waiting" doesn't really have a well-defined beginning or end, the appeal of "Still Waiting" lies in the fact that it cleans up a lot of loose ends from the first movie, answering a ton of questions you probably had at the end of "Waiting" (assuming you weren't stoned when you saw it, which is a big assumption).  Put another way, the sequel makes the original feel more like a real movie.

So, that's pretty much all there is to say about this movie without giving a spoiler-filled synopsis.

Bottom Line
If you liked "Waiting", you'll love "Still Waiting".  If you didn't like "Waiting", or didn't understand it, don't bother.  And if you haven't seen "Waiting", you'll probably think it's the worst movie ever made (as well as never wanting to eat at a generic Americana restaurant again), unless you've worked in a restaurant as your primary job (doing it on the side while working a white-collar office job doesn't count).
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 06:34:06 pm by Natasha Softpaw »
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Here is a horse I have made for you:
        |,\_/,\_
 ,-__/,   ,       )kk
.                     \,kkk
 \    ,___....--     \kkkk
           \               \kkkkk
             \               \kkkkk

Note:  I'm no longer actively involved in running this site, so while I welcome any personal messages, please do not contact me about account issues.  Please direct all such inquiries to Panda.  Thanks for all the years of awesome memories and friendship!  <3

Offline Flinch

• LOSER-MAGNET
  • Blue Level
  • Cookies: 683
  • I'm just default awesome
    • The Ferret's Den
Re: Movie Review: Still Waiting
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 08:20:39 pm »
Thanks for the review.I liked "Waiting" mainly for Naomi, and the fact that she's in the sequel is enough to make me watch it. Glad to hear I won't be wasting my time.
President: "I just don't get kids, remind me to sign that abortion bill!"

Offline Meadow Whisper (Natasha)

• ᎣᏏᏲ! I'm a horse now! ^.^
  • FT Founder
  • Cookies: 403
    • DeviantArt - lupiniastudios
    • FurAffinity - softpaw
    • Twitter - lupinia
    • Weasyl - softpaw
    • Lupinia Studios
  • Fursona Species: Chincoteague Pony
Re: Movie Review: Still Waiting
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 01:47:10 am »
Thanks for the review.I liked "Waiting" mainly for Naomi, and the fact that she's in the sequel is enough to make me watch it. Glad to hear I won't be wasting my time.

Yes, she's one of the main characters in the sequel, with quite a bit of character development.
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Here is a horse I have made for you:
        |,\_/,\_
 ,-__/,   ,       )kk
.                     \,kkk
 \    ,___....--     \kkkk
           \               \kkkkk
             \               \kkkkk

Note:  I'm no longer actively involved in running this site, so while I welcome any personal messages, please do not contact me about account issues.  Please direct all such inquiries to Panda.  Thanks for all the years of awesome memories and friendship!  <3