Author Topic: AIM Hijacker (Friend Facts/IMPlayin, ff.implayin.com)  (Read 1648 times)

Offline Morgan Persimmon

• Participant
  • Purple Level
  • Cookies: 66
  • Now with 45% more!
AIM Hijacker (Friend Facts/IMPlayin, ff.implayin.com)
« on: July 24, 2009, 06:10:57 am »
Well, Aerion (rather, his unwitting AIM account) sent me a link to some sort of useless site beginning with " ff.implayin.com ",
and after clicking the link, various AIMbots were automatically my buddies, somehow.
I talked with Aerion when he was actually online, and have found out that he received roughly the same link from Rogerandom.
It may be something that started by chance with one of our users' email accounts and merely spread through their contacts, or it might be that somehow the site's integrity has been compromised.

Any help, here?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 05:15:11 am by Natasha Softpaw »
[quote ]
(9:29:08 PM) Jamie: Heh, but for real? Not just a cat picture joke?
[/quote]

Offline Meadow Whisper (Natasha)

• ᎣᏏᏲ! I'm a horse now! ^.^
  • FT Founder
  • Cookies: 397
    • DeviantArt - lupiniastudios
    • FurAffinity - softpaw
    • Twitter - lupinia
    • Weasyl - softpaw
    • Lupinia Studios
  • Fursona Species: Chincoteague Pony
Re: Possible Virus/Spam Infection?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 07:57:26 am »
I can say with certainty that if the site were compromised somehow, I'd know about it before you or anyone else.  More likely, it spread through the contacts of someone y'all know, AIM spoofing is a common virus delivery trick lately.

To you and everyone else who's infected, make sure you get the virus cleaned up, then change your AIM passwords.  Otherwise, it will continue to login as you and spam your friends, even if you clean the virus from your computer.
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Here is a horse I have made for you:
        |,\_/,\_
 ,-__/,   ,       )kk
.                     \,kkk
 \    ,___....--     \kkkk
           \               \kkkkk
             \               \kkkkk

Note:  I'm no longer actively involved in running this site, so while I welcome any personal messages, please do not contact me about account issues.  Please direct all such inquiries to Panda.  Thanks for all the years of awesome memories and friendship!  <3

Offline Meadow Whisper (Natasha)

• ᎣᏏᏲ! I'm a horse now! ^.^
  • FT Founder
  • Cookies: 397
    • DeviantArt - lupiniastudios
    • FurAffinity - softpaw
    • Twitter - lupinia
    • Weasyl - softpaw
    • Lupinia Studios
  • Fursona Species: Chincoteague Pony
Re: Possible Virus/Spam Infection?
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2009, 05:14:23 am »
I just wanted to remind everyone on this site (and everyone who finds this in a search) that Friend Facts/"IMPlayin" will send unsolicited IMs to people on your buddy list (which is the definition of "spam") if you use their site.  To prevent this, and prevent similar phishing/hijacking schemes, never give your AIM username or password to any site not owned by AOL (ditto for MSN/Live/Windows Messenger and Yahoo/YIM).  Web-based IM clients like Meebo are an exception to this guideline, obviously, but be very careful when signing up for them.

If you've already been affected by their site, simply changing your AIM password and avoiding further usage of their site will correct the problem.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 05:16:40 am by Natasha Softpaw »
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Here is a horse I have made for you:
        |,\_/,\_
 ,-__/,   ,       )kk
.                     \,kkk
 \    ,___....--     \kkkk
           \               \kkkkk
             \               \kkkkk

Note:  I'm no longer actively involved in running this site, so while I welcome any personal messages, please do not contact me about account issues.  Please direct all such inquiries to Panda.  Thanks for all the years of awesome memories and friendship!  <3