Author Topic: Twilight, books and movie  (Read 5221 times)

Offline KrisFurryboy

• WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEH! *crack addict*
  • Red Level
  • Candies: 0
Twilight, books and movie
« on: August 11, 2009, 04:55:43 am »
I personaly enjoyed the books a lot because the imagry was fantastic, the writing style was elegant and the story stayed captivating throught he entire series!
I am not one of those little girls who sits there and fawns about Edward and Jacob though (Fictional characters from a teen romance novel no thank you)
The Movie: Okay first and foremost WTF was up with Edwards eyebrows?! he has gigantic carterpillars on his bloody forehead for gods sake! Bella was a freak in the movie and couldn't act for crap. And the movie jumps around more than a guy who's jsut been tazered.
(also..vampires...sparkling....enough said right there If I want my vampires sparkly I'll douse them in glitter and turn on a flashlight...no sun=dead bloodsucker in my book sorry)

Finally the one thing that truly TRULY ruins the whole Twilight series for me is *Drum roll* The Fans!

These irritating little punks who have decided "OMG Vampires are so cool! OH EDWARD EDWARD! *moans and falls over with a copy of New Moon" Yeah okay people really? It. Is. A. BOOK!
Seriously.
Then out of no-where one of these irritating little buggers who thinks since the twilight series is so popular and that vampires are now so cool from the book, decides to tell me that I am a poser. Yes a poser, not only could he not think of a reasonable insult but he directly accused me of being the one who was drawn to vampires and anchient lore through the MOTHER F**KING TWILLIGHT BOOKS! NO I think not good sir!

I personally have been an outcast most of my natural (or unatural if you look at it) life, I have always had a taste for the odd and dark, personally I've found the study of anchient myth and lore fascinating stuff (yeah I'm a nerd in that sense but what of it?) Don't get me wrong I enjoyed the books because the mystery and oddity of a human having a vampire lover (I'm a sucker for romance novels) but for christs sake when you form your lifestyle and decide what to follow through a book series such as twillight and you become this "Fashionable" person because you now own a twillight shirt....in my eyes you should find the nearest cliff and jump off it sorry.

((not sure if this counts as a rant or a review after all that but whatever probably kind of both))
<3 Kris
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 01:40:53 pm by Natasha Softpaw »
Better multitasking skills through massive caffine consumption!
The healing powers of Alcohol only work on scrapes and nic's, not on girls in seating bars who drown themselves in it -Choice Hops and Bottled Self Esteem -Bayside

Offline KrisFurryboy

• WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEH! *crack addict*
  • Red Level
Re: (Probably a little late on this one but) Twilight, books and movie
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 05:00:37 am »
Oh and one more thing.
During the book New Moon (I think...or whichever book Bella and Edward finally have sex) Why the hell would the writer jump from hot steamy sex to *Tada flash of brightly colored randomness* The next morning! :D WTF MATE WTF?! >_< I was reading the book and right after that page I had to set it down and walk away fro a few minutes, (no I wasn't excited about the sex in the book. I was angry that a writer would jump like that its really unkind in my eyes. Not to mention sex...girls....two things in my mind that really REALLY do not even enter the same thoughts mind you if it had been Edward and Jacob then the writer jumping to the next morning I would have thrown the book across the room and found my lighter before flooding Stephany Myers inbox with hatemail...)
Better multitasking skills through massive caffine consumption!
The healing powers of Alcohol only work on scrapes and nic's, not on girls in seating bars who drown themselves in it -Choice Hops and Bottled Self Esteem -Bayside

Offline AK

• Blue Level
  • Candies: 95
  • I need a fix, cos' I'm going down
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 06:22:03 am »
Ugh. I rage every time someone calls her a good writer...
Does anybody really know what time it is? Does anybody really care?

Ron Paul in 2012

Offline feline_jay

• NESS NESS NESS NESS
  • Red Level
  • Candies: 1
  • I AM H.A.P.P.Y
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 11:12:08 am »
Meh. I thought the book was a tad sexist, myself. Overrated, ect...
But, yeah, it is written well.

I think edward is hawt in the movies, by the way.
lol

Offline lucien

• i sold my hands for food
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 204
  • so please feed me.
    • DeviantArt - m0rtuum
    • FurAffinity - spazzeh
    • Twitter - onlygxdforgives
  • Fursona Species: african lion
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 01:35:15 pm »
Ugh. I rage every time someone calls her a good writer...
This.
There is nothing good about her writing.

It's an overused, cliche plot (GIRL FALLS IN LOVE WITH VAMPIRE AND HAS A WEREWOLF BFF OMFG HOW ORIGINAL), Bella is the biggest mary sue in the world, and as I said above. Sucky writing.

Just.. fail. Twilight has failed so hard.
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: he/him

Offline Schism

• Blue Level
  • Candies: 82
Re: Twilight, books and movie
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 02:26:33 pm »
Funny thing is, there's this huge debate going on between fans of Twilight, and fans of Stephen King. We all know Stephen is a better writer, it's true. That's by fact, but also my opinion. I don't want to get into a huge argument here... but King is a much better writer.

Offline Saval

• Minimalist
  • Red Level
  • Candies: 3
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 11:12:48 pm »
For me Twilight fans are an inescapable issue. No matter where I am, school, family meetings, friends that call me. And my aunts, uncles, grandparents, whoever is an adult figure around them can't seem to get any father into it than YOUR READING A BOOK! GOOD JOB! I NEVER READ ONE THAT BIG! AND THERE ARE MORE BOOKS THAT YOU'VE READ IN THE SERIRES? Makes me value my time alone. And also as far I as know there are no males that I personally know who is a fan of it. I'm not bashing any guys who like it. It's just a strange trend I've noticed with people I know.

Offline AK

• Blue Level
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2009, 12:08:39 am »
For the record, I read them all and saw the movie.

Not because I liked it.

Oh god no. It was like watching a train wreck.

I also dislike the fact that the ruined the vampire myth about as much as is possible.
THEY SPARKLE, for god's sake.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 12:18:39 am by AKlover »

Ron Paul in 2012

Offline lucien

• i sold my hands for food
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 204
  • so please feed me.
    • DeviantArt - m0rtuum
    • FurAffinity - spazzeh
    • Twitter - onlygxdforgives
  • Fursona Species: african lion
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2009, 12:56:16 am »
For the record, I read them all and saw the movie.

Not because I liked it.

Oh god no. It was like watching a train wreck.

I also dislike the fact that the ruined the vampire myth about as much as is possible.
THEY SPARKLE, for god's sake.

wow. Kudos to you for making it through all the books. The movie is a little bit more.. standable. (and I will admit, movie!Alice Cullen? Se-xy!)

Vampires should not sparkle :( At all.

One thing that bugs me is how.. emotional she makes them. Vampires = emotionless killing creatures, y/y?
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: he/him

Offline TGF

• Party machen!
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2009, 05:19:54 pm »
One thing that bugs me is how.. emotional she makes them. Vampires = emotionless killing creatures, y/y?

To be fair, Meyer was not the first to turn vampires into emotional creatures who constantly B'AAW about having to kill the humens. Doesn't make her creations any less annoying, though. >.>

Offline Sigurd

• Blue Level
  • Candies: 78
  • bluh bluh
  • Fursona Species: a gay
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2009, 04:21:16 am »
Hur hur hur.

Personally, I liked the first chapter of Twilight. But after that it died to me.

Why? Bella suddenly became whiny and it drove me insane.

As for the Sparkling, I simply adore it, but not because of Edward. Rather, I love it because it now gives me the chance to go to hot topic and buy Edward Sparkle powder to throw at random people screaming, "OMG EDWARD SPARKLE BLING BLING OMG BITE ME NOW!" then running away laughing like a loon.

I have problems and I accept them.
  • Award - Beta Tester

Offline Meadow Whisper (Natasha)

• ᎣᏏᏲ! I'm a horse now! ^.^
  • FT Founder
  • Candies: 397
    • DeviantArt - lupiniastudios
    • FurAffinity - softpaw
    • Twitter - lupinia
    • Weasyl - softpaw
    • Lupinia Studios
  • Fursona Species: Chincoteague Pony
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2009, 04:32:47 am »
My sister and I watched the movie one evening (she's 18).  She's a huge fan.  I don't consider it a bad movie, I actually thought it was really sweet in places, but not something I'd seek out to see more than once.  Ditto for the sequel; if it happens to fall into my lap in the way of free tickets or someone bringing the DVD to my apartment, I'll probably see it, but I'm not going to go out of my way to.

Maybe it's because I never really cared about vampires, and thus have no interest in or preconceived notions of what vampires are "supposed" to be?  True, the Twilight vampires have almost no similarity to traditional vampire stories, but considering that vampires aren't real and don't exist in modern society (where the Twilight stories are based), I fail to see how "ruining vampire myth" is something to get so hung up on.

Not that there aren't plenty of other points to criticise it on, but it seems a little silly to count that as one of them when re-inventing mythical tales is a popular and accepted literary device, if a bit lacking in creativity.

* Natasha Softpaw totally never imagined she'd be defending Twilight on an internet forum...  :-P
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 04:35:39 am by Natasha Softpaw »
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Here is a horse I have made for you:
        |,\_/,\_
 ,-__/,   ,       )kk
.                     \,kkk
 \    ,___....--     \kkkk
           \               \kkkkk
             \               \kkkkk

Note:  I'm no longer actively involved in running this site, so while I welcome any personal messages, please do not contact me about account issues.  Please direct all such inquiries to Panda.  Thanks for all the years of awesome memories and friendship!  <3

Offline AK

• Blue Level
Re:Twilight, books and movie
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2009, 04:43:48 am »
Even discounting the Vampire problem, it's not very well written.

It reads like a middle school creative writing project, not something worthy of real literary praise.

Ron Paul in 2012

Offline Sigurd

• Blue Level
  • bluh bluh
  • Fursona Species: a gay
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2009, 04:53:34 am »
Okay it's not THAT bad, writing wise, but I find the characters to be annoying.

That and when my friend told me Jacob was a Loli. Made my day.
  • Award - Beta Tester

Offline feline_jay

• NESS NESS NESS NESS
  • Red Level
  • Candies: 1
  • I AM H.A.P.P.Y
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2009, 11:09:36 am »
Okay it's not THAT bad, writing wise, but I find the characters to be annoying.

That and when my friend told me Jacob was a Loli. Made my day.
Lolololol

Offline Riaku

• Red Level
  • Candies: 3
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2009, 02:11:34 pm »
I started reading the books a couple years back. It was sub-par writing, no where near as good a vampire novel writer as Anne Rice.

2/5 for the book.
2/5 for the movie.

I never did really find edward as good looking.

Offline malovolpe

• Red Fox Silver Morph
  • Orange Level
  • Candies: 4
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2009, 07:30:23 pm »
crappy book and crappy movie, i first read the book i burned it after reading two pages of it, worst book ever and dont get me started on the movie.

Offline conka

• Red Level
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2009, 12:05:26 pm »
i thought that the book was for the most part interesting and well written, but at points lacked imagination and for a large section of the middle of the book it was simply bella complaining and pining for edward.
the acting in the film was pretty bad and large portions of the book were left out, leaving the film feeling empty. the special effects were also crap.

Offline a ghost

• Green Level
  • oooo
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2009, 10:28:03 pm »
Every single aspect of this damn book sends shivers up my spine.
*Terrible writing
*Bella's Mary Sue level is well over 9000
*Edwards is a vampire that angsts about how he's pretty and sparkly and immortal.
*Vampires don't burn up in the sun, they sparkle! WTF...
*Werewolves in this book are, of course, messed up too.
*The fandom
*Oh god the fandom
*The fandom of Twilight is a bunch of first time readers who say that Twilight is amazing because that's the only book they read/heard (They have to use the audiobook since they can't read. True story, too. -_- )
*Another thing about the fandom. If you so far as mention that you don't like Twilight, they'll go bat-sh*t insane and try to attack you.
http://twilightsucks.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=fangirls&action=display&thread=5175

Oh and we can't forget the deaths of animals because of Twitards
http://twilightsucks.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=fangirls&thread=16079
http://twilightsucks.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=fangirls&action=display&thread=12055

In conclusion, Twilight has done nothing more than ruined modern vampire literature.
And don't tell me that I didn't read the books; I read the first 3 and saw the synopsis of the fourth, and believe me, I HATED it. Thought she would improve as the books went further and further. Nope, it didn't.
Ok, done with my raging.
  • Flag - wallpaper
  • Award - Beta Tester

Offline malovolpe

• Red Fox Silver Morph
  • Orange Level
  • Candies: 4
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2009, 11:00:55 pm »
Alexxander, i pretty much agree with you, Twilight fans piss me off to no end oh and i read 2 pages of the first book and threw it away afterwards, it sucked that much
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 11:14:51 pm by malovolpe »