Author Topic: Twilight, books and movie  (Read 5307 times)

Offline KrisFurryboy

• WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEH! *crack addict*
  • Red Level
  • Cookies: 0
Re: Twilight, books and movie
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2009, 03:11:13 am »
did I smoke over gunpowder? *chuckles* this thread exploaded without me paying attention....
Oh and fact of the matter...

*throws a fist full of glitter on Mudd* now you sparkle too!!!  :lion:
Better multitasking skills through massive caffine consumption!
The healing powers of Alcohol only work on scrapes and nic's, not on girls in seating bars who drown themselves in it -Choice Hops and Bottled Self Esteem -Bayside

Offline KrisFurryboy

• Red Level
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2009, 03:17:56 am »
Every single aspect of this damn book sends shivers up my spine.
*Terrible writing
*Bella's Mary Sue level is well over 9000
*Edwards is a vampire that angsts about how he's pretty and sparkly and immortal.
*Vampires don't burn up in the sun, they sparkle! WTF...
*Werewolves in this book are, of course, messed up too.
*The fandom
*Oh god the fandom
*The fandom of Twilight is a bunch of first time readers who say that Twilight is amazing because that's the only book they read/heard (They have to use the audiobook since they can't read. True story, too. -_- )
*Another thing about the fandom. If you so far as mention that you don't like Twilight, they'll go bat-sh*t insane and try to attack you.
http://twilightsucks.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=fangirls&action=display&thread=5175

Oh and we can't forget the deaths of animals because of Twitards
http://twilightsucks.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=fangirls&thread=16079
http://twilightsucks.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=fangirls&action=display&thread=12055

In conclusion, Twilight has done nothing more than ruined modern vampire literature.
And don't tell me that I didn't read the books; I read the first 3 and saw the synopsis of the fourth, and believe me, I HATED it. Thought she would improve as the books went further and further. Nope, it didn't.
Ok, done with my raging.
In what way are the werewolves messed up?

crappy book and crappy movie, i first read the book i burned it after reading two pages of it, worst book ever and dont get me started on the movie.

Try reading the book all the way through, also WHY WOULD YOU BURN A BOOK?! Thats just not right! The book has feelings too!!!
Okay yes I'm a tad psycotic about books but I do love them so very much *Pets his stack of cheesy romance novels*
The healing powers of Alcohol only work on scrapes and nic's, not on girls in seating bars who drown themselves in it -Choice Hops and Bottled Self Esteem -Bayside

Offline AK

• Blue Level
  • Cookies: 95
  • I need a fix, cos' I'm going down
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2009, 03:31:10 am »
Because werewolves are nothing like that.
Does anybody really know what time it is? Does anybody really care?

Ron Paul in 2012

Offline malovolpe

• Red Fox Silver Morph
  • Orange Level
  • Cookies: 4
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2009, 09:30:20 am »
Werewolves do not sparkle and i am sorry but the book was so poorly written it is not even worth the paper it is printed on lol

Offline KrisFurryboy

• Red Level
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2009, 01:44:08 pm »
Werewolves do not sparkle and i am sorry but the book was so poorly written it is not even worth the paper it is printed on lol

The werewolves in the book didn't sparkle....that was the vampires.

And if you know the original Dracula myths you could know that he didn't burst into flame in the sun or anything he just looked very pale and sickly....not to mention now days we always see the vampire as this sleek, attractive, seductive fellow. The original Dracula had hairy palms, unkept fingernails, crazy seeming gray hair, he smelled like damp rotting earth and decay, and he was pale as bleached paper!
SO meh....damn pop culture...

Also the werewolves in Twillight aren't really that messed up, they make more sense than the werewolves in many books. In twillight the wolves transform when they're angry or when they absolutely need to, the change from a human form into the form of something more akin to Canis Dirus (dire wolf yay asshole science language) Where in most of ther novels the werewolf changes from a human being into some form of large hairy beast that seems to be just a person covered in fur with long fangs and a nasty smell added on....personally I enjoy the idea of the Twillight werewolves....

Finally Malovope....how could you even have opinions about the werewolves or the vampires for that matter in Twillight you said yourself you read two pages and burned the book, the first two pages are all Bella showing up in Forks from Arizona and being a whiny little panzy about it raining all the time.
Also Malovope if its soooo poorly written, go write me a novel that makes as much money if not more than the Twillight series (books alone not merchandise and dipshit fangirls)

Offline lucien

• i sold my hands for food
  • Purple Level
  • Cookies: 204
  • so please feed me.
    • DeviantArt - m0rtuum
    • FurAffinity - spazzeh
    • Twitter - onlygxdforgives
  • Fursona Species: african lion
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2009, 02:46:29 pm »
Twilight IS poorly written. Making money doesn't have anything to do with the quality of the writing. There are people out there who, obviously, like the series so they're buying it.
Does that mean it's the best book ever because it's making money?
No.
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: he/him

Offline Sarvix

• Red Level
  • Cookies: 9
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2009, 02:54:35 pm »
Also Malovope if its soooo poorly written, go write me a novel that makes as much money if not more than the Twillight series (books alone not merchandise and dipshit fangirls)

Goodness, not on this forum too. I've had this argument several times before; I wish people would grow up and understand this poor comparison. Don't take any offense Kris, as you are standing by your view in a fair and point by point manner, but that quote is in and of itself stupid.

Do you need to be a spectacular cook to know when something you enjoy tastes off or was cooked poorly? By your argument, I would first need to be a top chef and create the dish myself before I could critique another chefs cooking. It doesn't work that way. You do not need to be on the same "level" as someone else to understand or be able to critique their work. You don't even have to do what they do at all to offer an opinion.

Now, it helps to understand what they are doing to be able to work with proper critique. I, for one, am a poor critiquer of writing. My mate however is excellent at it. This is most likely because he is a writer himself and this is his element. But he can also offer art critique as well without having much skill to do so and he does know what he is talking about when he does so. I have several friends and acquaintances who may not be "as good as me" but their words are not null and useless because they can't draw. They may see things that I cannot and their critique is just as appreciated as is the critique from an artist of higher caliber.

Saying that Mal or anyone else that feels she is a poor writer needs to go "make it big" to know what they are saying is pathetic at best. I do not need to go build a table to feel like the one I bought is poor quality. I do not need to go make my own bedsheets to say that the ones I bought tore too easily. I do not need to go make my own skateboard to say that the one I bought had no pop. I do not need to go and make my own movie to say one was directed poorly. Etc.

And no one here needs to write professionally to critique a "professional". Anyone, with hard work and knowing the right people and right means to go through it and persistence, could publish a book if they wanted. A published book does not automatically mean popular either. There are small publishing companies, some books only sell online, etc. I imagine her popularity mainly came from 1. the subject 2. teen fiction.

If you stop to think about it, how many of you frequent Yifftstar? And know how the system works? Or you even post there. Disregarding the blatant "yiff" in its name, I'm sure some of you have run across poor quality stuff up there with five stars or raving reviews simply for the fact that it was "fappable". So how are you supposed to find the good stuff when you are surrounded by things that are only five stars because it was "hawt" and are ripe with poor sentence structuring, poor grammar, shaky rushed plot, no character build up, etc.? Certainly you would think the five star rating was there because it was a good story right? And that the comments were there to help the writer progress?

Honestly, there are a few popular artists that I feel so very negatively about (they sit there for years not improving their work and their mindless fans just give them pats on the ass. A true artist to me keeps growing and improving, not sitting on the same non improving style for several years because they know people will suck up to them anyway) but I will always be in the minority and I will always be looked down on for speaking negatively because most people will argue back at me "Well, if you think they're so shitty, why don't you get popular then say sumthin???" and I'm tired of having to repeat myself. Popularity does not necessarily mean you are good. Being well known does not mean you are automatically good either.

Now, I'll say this. She isn't terrible compared to other things I've read by other "professional" writers sitting on the library shelf, but I can't properly critique teen fiction. I read adult fiction and all teen fiction sucks to me in general. I read the first two books and that was it for me. But it wasn't my point to say whether she was good or not anyway. It was my point to correct your line of reasoning.

Everyone has their own ideas of vampires and werewolves. As long as you have the base (vampires thrive on blood, werewolves are humans that transform into wolves) the rest is really up to the person handling it with their artistic license. What's the point of being the same anyway? I like to see how people see vampires and weres their way.

Some vampires burst up into flames at the sun, others sparkle, others just have an irritation thing going on and work better at night, some work in both the day and and at night, whatever. Some go running around in Victorian wear and long flowing hair  and are all around studs, others are more down to earth, others are...almost too down to earth, and smell just like they should be: dead and look it as well, some are just basically monsters depicted in a zombielike way and it doesn't matter what they are wearing or look as long as their fangs get in your neck. It's really up to you which depiction you like best.

I know some people are tired of them being depicted as soulless monsters or tired of them being depicted as pretty intellectual and philosophical womanizers. That does not make your idea better though I will not argue that time has pretty much softened up the whole idea and that I prefer older versions myself.

Anyhow, this is a bunch of rambling :V I hope someone reads it.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 03:01:08 pm by Sarvix »
Save a wolf, get a tamaskan!

Offline KrisFurryboy

• Red Level
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2009, 03:48:38 pm »
Some vampires burst up into flames at the sun, others sparkle, others just have an irritation thing going on and work better at night, some work in both the day and and at night, whatever. Some go running around in Victorian wear and long flowing hair  and are all around studs, others are more down to earth, others are...almost too down to earth, and smell just like they should be: dead and look it as well, some are just basically monsters depicted in a zombielike way and it doesn't matter what they are wearing or look as long as their fangs get in your neck. It's really up to you which depiction you like best.

<- I can't help but feel like that was a ref to Interview With a Vampire....Brad Pitt makes a sexy vampire...
sorry *wipes drool from lip*

I understand that saying because a book makes money its better isn't really correct I'm just trying to make the point that its better written than some other books on the market...also it just bugged me I guess that Malovope was saying things like that when he said himself that he only read two pages, how can you form your entire opinion on a book without reading the entire thing? or at least half of it...thats mainly what I'm trying to get at...and no I'm not trying to flame anyone here...

Offline malovolpe

• Red Fox Silver Morph
  • Orange Level
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2009, 04:25:56 am »
>_> vampires do not sparkle, not in the over 100 years of vampire lore have they sparkled and vampires are supposed to be blood thirsty, there is no such thing as a vegetarian vampire.  I'm a huge fan of vampire lore and well sparkling and vampires not drinking blood is just stupid to me.  The book did not draw me in and i felt disgusted reading it, that's why i burned it.  Only book i have burned in my life.

Offline Sigurd

• Blue Level
  • Cookies: 78
  • bluh bluh
  • Fursona Species: a gay
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2009, 04:49:25 am »
I'm a huge fan of vampire lore and well sparkling and vampires not drinking blood is just stupid to me.

I'm just going to point out that this book wasn't exactly made to fill out the quota for gory vampire books.

In fact it's a freaking LOVE NOVEL.

I repeat, a love novel.

If you're reading this book expecting something out of Van Helsing, then you better prepare to be fully disappointed.

TL;DR

Don't complain about how un-like it is to other vampire/werewolf novels because, well, it's not supposed to be. In fact, it's more directed toward the average teenage girl and young to middle aged woman, so if you were expecting a bloody fight between vampires/werewoves then you haven't paid much attention to the fandom.

Like I stated earlier I'm not a fan of the book, but only because I dislike the characters, not the writing.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 05:05:01 am by Mudd Anavera »
  • Award - Beta Tester

Offline Fvzzball

• Take THAT Darwin! Natural selection doesn't win today!!
  • Yellow Level
  • Cookies: 16
  • Never be afraid
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2009, 04:33:45 pm »
I found the books to be quite good, but the movie...eh, it was okay, I guess.  Didn't like it as much as the books though.

Offline Fvzzball

• Yellow Level
  • Never be afraid
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2009, 04:37:32 pm »
>_> vampires do not sparkle, not in the over 100 years of vampire lore have they sparkled and vampires are supposed to be blood thirsty, there is no such thing as a vegetarian vampire.  I'm a huge fan of vampire lore and well sparkling and vampires not drinking blood is just stupid to me.  The book did not draw me in and i felt disgusted reading it, that's why i burned it.  Only book i have burned in my life.
It's vampire lore, practically every culture has their own description of what a vampire looks like and what it can do.  You just have to keep an open mind.   

Offline Sarvix

• Red Level
  • Cookies: 9
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2009, 06:41:34 pm »
Yeah, I understand your main point Kris, don't worry. Also, Mal, I can't really agree with your decision on burning the book but you already did it, so hey. *shrugs* Like I said, the whole thing is about artistic license and it really is a love story (although I don't like how she handled it myself and it has no appeal to me). If your taste in "true" vampires lies in action and gore, find another author that appeals to you. The whole "I set Meyer books on fire cuz she is crap and I is hardcore" trend seems stupid to me.
Save a wolf, get a tamaskan!

Offline Sigurd

• Blue Level
  • Cookies: 78
  • bluh bluh
  • Fursona Species: a gay
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2009, 08:29:28 pm »
The whole "I set Meyer books on fire cuz she is crap and I is hardcore" trend seems stupid to me.
  • Award - Beta Tester

Offline AK

• Blue Level
  • Cookies: 95
  • I need a fix, cos' I'm going down
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2009, 08:47:36 pm »
The whole "I set Meyer books on fire cuz she is crap and I is hardcore" trend seems stupid to me.
The whole, 'I iz hardcore thing' seems stupid to me. If you are, you don't need to posture.
Does anybody really know what time it is? Does anybody really care?

Ron Paul in 2012

Offline Fvzzball

• Yellow Level
  • Never be afraid
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2009, 09:24:05 am »
But your level of hardcoreness doesn't show over the internet.

Offline malovolpe

• Red Fox Silver Morph
  • Orange Level
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2009, 10:12:48 am »
I am not trying to look hardcore, any dumb ass can light a book on fire.  The Twilight books though are big so they burn rather nicely. :3

Offline Fvzzball

• Yellow Level
  • Never be afraid
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2009, 11:41:48 am »
Ah, a fellow pyromaniac?

Offline Frenchay

• Red Level
  • Cookies: 3
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2009, 08:08:01 pm »
Twilight = suckquake
I had to see the movie twice once in theaters with my girlfriend and once at my girlfriends house haha. She's worth it though.
Stephen King FTW!!!

Offline KrisFurryboy

• Red Level
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2009, 02:36:13 pm »
I am not trying to look hardcore, any dumb ass can light a book on fire.  The Twilight books though are big so they burn rather nicely. :3

but but but but...its a book *Curls up with his massive collection of books* don't burn them T-T at least recycle the damn thing! or sell it to some damn twitard moron for twice its worth!
>__________< I just don't agree with the burning of books...burn anything else just not the books