Author Topic: Shadow Complex  (Read 1038 times)

Offline Figaccdgi

• who?
  • Orange Level
  • Candy: 13
  • Leeving Erth for no raisin
    • FurAffinity - figaccdgi
  • Fursona Species: Raccoon
Shadow Complex
« on: August 22, 2009, 11:22:55 pm »
Shadow complex Is a brand new 3d side-scrolling game released for the Xbox live arcade. It is currently $15 and is an 800mb download. Screenshots: http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/839/839087/imgs_1.html

:D Positive: beautiful graphics, solid controls, fun gameplay, plenty to explore, tons of secrets to find, decent length, good ammount of replay value, good voice acting, cut-scenes, varied locations, great level design, only $15.

:? Negative: Story not very exciting, a few annoying glitches, challenge rooms not really fun.

Shadow complex is a game much like metroid or castlevania. It's a 2d shooter/platformer made with amazing hd graphics. You go through the game starting off as a regular guy, with nothing but a flashlight and throughout the game you will get new weapons, equipment, and level up until you become the ultimate bad ass.

Story:
The story of shadow complex is that you and your girlfriend go to explore an old cave. She enters the cave before you, and soon gets kidnapped by people in futuristic looking suits into an underground laboratory type thing, like black mesa from half-life. You then have to find her and escape this place with her. Overall, the story is there, and it does it's job. It gives you a reason for what you're doing. But it's not very exciting. The game also has cut-scenes and very good voice acting. These are not usually seen in downloadable games. The guy who does the voice of the prince in the new prince of persia and Drake from Uncharted: Drake's fortune does the voice of the main character, and once again he does a great job.

Gameplay:
Even though the story isn't amazing, the gameplay is where this game really shines. This may be a side-scroller, but everything is 3d. Enemies can move around in the background, while your character will turn his gun in an almost auto aiming fashion to aim at them. This system works surprisingly well, and gives the game a 3d feel.

Even though this game is much like metroid, in this game you're just a normal guy. For a good part of the game you won't be able to just jump into a room and start shooting everything unless you're on the easiest difficulty without getting hurt quite a bit. Sometimes you'll have to be a little more clever when taking out enemies. You can even do a good ammount of stealth, sneaking up behind enemies and taking them out quietly with a melee attack.

A huge part of this game apart from doing the objectives is exploring. There is a lot to explore and you are rewarded very well for it. by exploring, you will find the game's many many many secrets. These secrets are areas in the game that are slightly hidden and will contain upgrades to your equipment such as an upgrade to the amount of grenades you can hold, or the amount of health you have. You are able to find these secrets with your flashlight, which will highlight breakable doors or vents and use a color system to show what you need to bust it open.

You will never get lost in this game. The game has a map system that is very similar to the one in metroid games, giving you a clear blue line to your next objective, which you can turn off. It works very well.

Throughout the game you will also acquire new weapons and equipment. these keep the game fresh and always has you excited to see what you might get next. The game also has a leveling system that gives you xp for finding new areas or killing enemies. With each new level you might gain better precision, stamina, more health or other nice rewards. This system also adds replay value to the game, allowing you to replay the game to get more experience up to a level of 50.

Shadow complex is not very long however. The length of the game will ultimately depend on how you play it though. If you just blow through the game and jump from objective to objective quickly, you'll find the game over pretty quick. But if you take your time to do some exploring you will find this game to be pretty lengthy.

Sound:
The sound in this game is pretty good. You won't find any really memorable music, but the music in the game is pretty good and is enjoyable to listen to. The sound effects all sound great too.

Opinions:
In my opinion, this is one of the greatest games to come out on the xbox live arcade, right next to braid and castle crashers. I've had more fun with this game than some good full retail games. If you think you would be interested at all in this game or if you like metroid/castlevania, I would instantly recommend this game. For everyone else, I would recommend downloading the demo. It's worth it.

What are you waiting for go download this amazing game gogogogogogo  :fox-:P:

Offline Myles Shadowsun

• Red Level
  • Candy: 1
Re: Shadow Complex
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 03:12:41 pm »
Personally I thought this was the best game to come out on the Live Arcade so far. If anyone liked Super Metroid they'd love this game and hopefully this will be the start of many more high quality HD side scroller style games.

Offline AK

• Blue Level
  • Candy: 95
  • I need a fix, cos' I'm going down
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 10:12:39 pm »
I loved it, save for one game breaking glitch:

It won't let me jump out of the elevator when everything is getting splodey.

Other than that, it was an amazing game, and if you have a 360, you should download it.
Does anybody really know what time it is? Does anybody really care?

Ron Paul in 2012

Offline Schism

• Retired Staff
  • Candy: 82
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 10:45:42 pm »
Isn't this made by the same people who did Gears of War 2?

I'm thinking about getting it

Offline Figaccdgi

• who?
  • Orange Level
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 03:41:44 pm »

Well, it's made by chair/epic. Epic made gears, and chair made Undertow. Shadow complex is about infinity times better than undertow, though. But I'd still recommend the demo just to be safe.
I find this game really fun, working on my 4th playthrough to get to lvl 50 =D

Offline Figaccdgi

• who?
  • Orange Level
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 03:48:04 pm »

It won't let me jump out of the elevator when everything is getting splodey.

I don't think that there is even supposed to be an elevator when the building explodes. Also, isn't there a checkpoint right before it explodes? The game does seem to have a lot of weird glitches though. If you finish the game with 100% (I did) The main character's hair turns purple and white for the ending cinematic. I guess the fusion helmet has some unmentioned side-effects.

Offline Schism

• Retired Staff
  • Candy: 82
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 03:54:40 pm »

Well, it's made by chair/epic. Epic made gears, and chair made Undertow. Shadow complex is about infinity times better than undertow, though. But I'd still recommend the demo just to be safe.

Undertow? What's that... it's Tool's first album.

Is Undertow like the same style of game?

Offline Figaccdgi

• who?
  • Orange Level
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2009, 08:48:22 pm »

Is Undertow like the same style of game?

No, undertow was a kind of multiplayer sidescrolling underwater shooter-mabob. Not many people liked it. It was actually given out for free once as an apology because xbox live went down for a few days or something.
http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/undertow/index.html