Author Topic: Editing Issues  (Read 1187 times)

Offline EnriqueTSB

• Champion of Sombreros!
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 52
  • This exactly fills the limit of this text box yay!
    • FurAffinity - enriquetsb
    • Twitter - enriquetsb
  • Fursona Species: Jaguarundi
Editing Issues
« on: September 11, 2009, 08:19:56 pm »
So I decided that it had been way too long since I updated the Species list; I went to go do it...
Only to find that I couldn't.

The modify button is gone for me.  After looking through my posts, it seems to have disappeared on all posts older than yesterday.  Today's and yesterday's I can edit just fine, but anything older than that I don't have the option.  Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated.
  • Award - Beta Tester
"Everybody walks past a thousand story ideas every day. The good writers are the ones who see five or six of them. Most people don't see any."
--Orson Scott Card

Offline Schism

• Blue Level
  • Candies: 82
Re: Editing Issues
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 08:25:14 pm »
I can't really help, but I've noticed the same thing. I'm guessing it might be a newer feature.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 08:28:20 pm by Schism »

Offline copb.phoenix

• So long and goodnight
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 114
    • FurAffinity - copb_phoenix
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 09:26:07 pm »
I have that, too, unless I've been modded for something since my last post. In deference, I usually just clear it out and leave the mod note, or thank them, but it's still puzzling. I'm curious to hear if this is the hot new bug that's sweeping the forum, or an upper level decision made that they felt shouldn't concern us so much.
  • Flag - turing
  • Award - Beta Tester
Isn't this where...?

Offline Meadow Whisper (Natasha)

• ᎣᏏᏲ! I'm a horse now! ^.^
  • FT Founder
  • Candies: 397
    • DeviantArt - lupiniastudios
    • FurAffinity - softpaw
    • Twitter - lupinia
    • Weasyl - softpaw
    • Lupinia Studios
  • Fursona Species: Chincoteague Pony
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 09:53:50 pm »
Sorry about that, it was a setting change that was set due to a number of former members emptying the contents of their posts.  Basically, some members feel that if they're no longer going to participate in the site, then it's ok to blank all posts they've ever made.  This makes all the threads they've posted in or started rather disjointed and confusing, and since we only store database backups for three days, we often don't notice this until it's too late to fix.  Even if we do catch it, it's a tedious process to restore posts from a specific user.  Most recently, a user who'd posted in a large number of threads opted to do this, which is when a change in settings became necessary.

Basically, the new setting prevents posts from being edited after about 2 days (60 hours).  Long enough to allow anyone to edit a post in an active discussion, but not long enough to permit the malicious necro-edits we've had issues with.  This setting has actually been in place for quite some time, apparently no one noticed until now (I actually kinda forgot I'd changed it).

Given the reasons for enabling this in the first place, I'm a little reluctant to reverse it, but I want you to be able to update that thread.  Lemme ponder this with Mercury & others and see what we can come up with.
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Here is a horse I have made for you:
        |,\_/,\_
 ,-__/,   ,       )kk
.                     \,kkk
 \    ,___....--     \kkkk
           \               \kkkkk
             \               \kkkkk

Note:  I'm no longer actively involved in running this site, so while I welcome any personal messages, please do not contact me about account issues.  Please direct all such inquiries to Panda.  Thanks for all the years of awesome memories and friendship!  <3

Offline EnriqueTSB

• Champion of Sombreros!
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 52
  • This exactly fills the limit of this text box yay!
    • FurAffinity - enriquetsb
    • Twitter - enriquetsb
  • Fursona Species: Jaguarundi
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2009, 01:07:59 am »
Thanks for clearin that up, Natasha.  And yeah, I see why you would implement this kinda thing.

This setting has actually been in place for quite some time, apparently no one noticed until now (I actually kinda forgot I'd changed it).
I guess it really has been too long since I updated that list  >.>
  • Award - Beta Tester
"Everybody walks past a thousand story ideas every day. The good writers are the ones who see five or six of them. Most people don't see any."
--Orson Scott Card

Offline copb.phoenix

• So long and goodnight
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 114
    • FurAffinity - copb_phoenix
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 01:40:26 pm »
Ok, Natasha, I can tell this has changed. What's the newest rule on it?

I'm an idiot.

No, I'm not after all. Natasha, what are the new rules for this? I know you had been considering it, and it's past the three day mark (roughly), so what is going on on this front?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 02:07:08 pm by copb.phoenix »
  • Flag - turing
  • Award - Beta Tester
Isn't this where...?

Offline Meadow Whisper (Natasha)

• ᎣᏏᏲ! I'm a horse now! ^.^
  • FT Founder
  • Candies: 397
    • DeviantArt - lupiniastudios
    • FurAffinity - softpaw
    • Twitter - lupinia
    • Weasyl - softpaw
    • Lupinia Studios
  • Fursona Species: Chincoteague Pony
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 02:10:44 pm »
Still trying to figure out what to do long-term; for now, the edit window has been expanded to 5 days.  I'll post once we reach some sort of consensus.
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Here is a horse I have made for you:
        |,\_/,\_
 ,-__/,   ,       )kk
.                     \,kkk
 \    ,___....--     \kkkk
           \               \kkkkk
             \               \kkkkk

Note:  I'm no longer actively involved in running this site, so while I welcome any personal messages, please do not contact me about account issues.  Please direct all such inquiries to Panda.  Thanks for all the years of awesome memories and friendship!  <3