Author Topic: Presenting Furry Fandom to the Public: Helpful Resources  (Read 16992 times)

Offline Saucy_Fox

• Orange Level
  • Cookies: 7
  • Fursona Species: Silver Fox
Re: Presenting Furry Fandom to the Public: Helpful Resources
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2010, 02:19:10 am »
I loved that video, it was great! I want to go to anthrocon someday...

Offline Luke Fox

• Green Level
  • Cookies: 28
  • Lol :V
    • FurAffinity - cooljoe224
  • Fursona Species: Red Forks
Re: Presenting Furry Fandom to the Public: The "What is a furry?" question.
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2010, 11:44:34 am »
I bet I will be asked "What is a furry?" many more times in RL than on the internet, so I don't have the power to link them to Anthrocons description of the basics or the wiki article. I have a question that would help many if answered: How do I describe what a furry is, in a couple of sentences.

I re-watched Kages videos, but that mainly described more on Anthocon a lot more, than furries in general. So, when someone comes up to you at school, or in a any day situation, and they ask "What is a furry?," what would you say and in a couple sentences?

Offline Sulphur

• Green Level
  • Cookies: 27
    • DeviantArt - SulphurTea
    • FurAffinity - Sulphuric
    • LiveJournal - SulphurTea
    • Twitter - Sulphurtea
  • Fursona Species: Spotted Hyena
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2010, 11:55:40 am »
I bet I will be asked "What is a furry?" many more times in RL than on the internet, so I don't have the power to link them to Anthrocons description of the basics or the wiki article. I have a question that would help many if answered: How do I describe what a furry is, in a couple of sentences.

I re-watched Kages videos, but that mainly described more on Anthocon a lot more, than furries in general. So, when someone comes up to you at school, or in a any day situation, and they ask "What is a furry?," what would you say and in a couple sentences?
Easy. "A furry is a fan anthropomorphic animal characters."

Offline Luke Fox

• Green Level
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2010, 01:27:14 pm »

Easy. "A furry is a fan anthropomorphic animal characters."

Well, not a lot of people are going to understand what "anthropomorphic" is. :/ Like Kage said, we need to use plain language and not buzz words, even though "anthropomorphic' isn't really a buzz word. I like the "Fan" part though.

Offline Meadow Whisper (Natasha)

• ᎣᏏᏲ! I'm a horse now! ^.^
  • FT Founder
  • Cookies: 397
    • DeviantArt - lupiniastudios
    • FurAffinity - softpaw
    • Twitter - lupinia
    • Weasyl - softpaw
    • Lupinia Studios
  • Fursona Species: Chincoteague Pony
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2010, 05:40:52 pm »
Q:  What is a furry?
A:  A fan of cartoon animals, like Looney Toons and characters from many classic Disney films.

Q:  Why do they call themselves furries?
A:  Like most hobbies, there's a social community surrounding this one, and that community decided to give itself a name.  And "furry" is much easier to say than "cartoon animal fan".

Q:  What do furries do that makes this a hobby or community?
A:  In addition to an appreciation for things like cartoons and comics, the furry community generates a massive amount of its own content, including artwork, comic books, literature, animation, and even music and performing arts.  So, there are online websites for sharing and exhibiting these creative works, as well as art conventions all over the world for furries to gather and share their work.

==============

These are the main three questions that you'll ever be asked about furries, and some good answers for them.  Learn them. 
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Here is a horse I have made for you:
        |,\_/,\_
 ,-__/,   ,       )kk
.                     \,kkk
 \    ,___....--     \kkkk
           \               \kkkkk
             \               \kkkkk

Note:  I'm no longer actively involved in running this site, so while I welcome any personal messages, please do not contact me about account issues.  Please direct all such inquiries to Panda.  Thanks for all the years of awesome memories and friendship!  <3

Offline Daniel A. Skirtandzy

• Purple Level
  • Cookies: 162
    • FurAffinity - Skirtandzy1
    • LiveJournal - Skirtandzy
    • Twitter - Skirtandzy
  • Fursona Species: Domestic Cat
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2010, 06:00:42 pm »
So, there are online websites for sharing and exhibiting these creative works, as well as art conventions all over the world for furries to gather and share their work.

I have heard a handful of times, people talk about the 'mistake' they made when taking people to art websites, to help explain furry. They take a person onto a site to show them the creativity of the fandom, only to popup something mature.
And it works on the same principle that something like the news works with: what will they remember more: the cute little picture, or the mature piece of art?

A key tip for this: If you are going to show someone a furry art website, like FA, InkBunny, or the anthro section of DA, turn on the available filters.
Nothing can ruin a good explination of the fandom, like someone wanting to see what is behind a thumbnail, only to be mentally scarred. ;)
  • Flag - lawyer
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Site Donor

Offline Sulphur

• Green Level
  • Cookies: 27
    • DeviantArt - SulphurTea
    • FurAffinity - Sulphuric
    • LiveJournal - SulphurTea
    • Twitter - Sulphurtea
  • Fursona Species: Spotted Hyena
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2010, 06:09:23 pm »
So, there are online websites for sharing and exhibiting these creative works, as well as art conventions all over the world for furries to gather and share their work.

I have heard a handful of times, people talk about the 'mistake' they made when taking people to art websites, to help explain furry. They take a person onto a site to show them the creativity of the fandom, only to popup something mature.
And it works on the same principle that something like the news works with: what will they remember more: the cute little picture, or the mature piece of art?

A key tip for this: If you are going to show someone a furry art website, like FA, InkBunny, or the anthro section of DA, turn on the available filters.
Nothing can ruin a good explination of the fandom, like someone wanting to see what is behind a thumbnail, only to be mentally scarred. ;)
Or Artspots, which doesn't allow users to post mature work.

• FT Founder
    • FurAffinity - softpaw
    • Twitter - lupinia
    • Weasyl - softpaw
    • Lupinia Studios
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2010, 07:35:08 pm »
Yes, do NOT send people to FA or Inkbunny at all when you want to show them furry art.  Even if you filter the hell out of everything.  Even DeviantArt is a bit hit-and-miss.  Send them to sites like Artspots.  Wikifur is ok, the Wikipedia furry article is ok, and the websites for most furry cons (particularly Anthrocon) are ok. 
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - gay
        |,\_/,\_
 ,-__/,   ,       )kk
           \               \kkkkk
             \               \kkkkk

Note:  I'm no longer actively involved in running this site, so while I welcome any personal messages, please do not contact me about account issues.  Please direct all such inquiries to Panda.  Thanks for all the years of awesome memories and friendship!  <3

Offline Luke Fox

• Green Level
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2010, 08:54:50 pm »
Natasha, you are the greatest.  :D

Offline Jerry

• Orange Level
  • Cookies: 5
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2010, 04:13:41 pm »
This was actually the first Youtube video/ series that came up when I searched for furries. I am glad that Youtube is giving some decent exposure of furries. Uncle Kage seems like an amazing and funny guy in real life. I am glad this video is free to be seen by the public.

Offline Cat Fishy

• The geeky cat
  • Red Level
  • Cookies: 4
  • Merrow
    • DeviantArt - Cat-Fishy
    • FurAffinity - Cat_Fishy
  • Fursona Species: aquatic feline
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2010, 12:15:20 pm »
About Natasha's q&a examples:
I think answering those questions with the cartoon portion of the fandom only could leave some holes. Many furries are not cartoony. I've seen plenty of realistic furry art myself, and not all of my own art is cartoony. I don't want to nitpick, but maybe somehow whoever is answering the questions could mention that the fandom is very diverse, and not all cartoons?
>^..^<     >( .)

• FT Founder
    • FurAffinity - softpaw
    • Twitter - lupinia
    • Weasyl - softpaw
    • Lupinia Studios
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2010, 01:43:01 pm »
About Natasha's q&a examples:
I think answering those questions with the cartoon portion of the fandom only could leave some holes. Many furries are not cartoony. I've seen plenty of realistic furry art myself, and not all of my own art is cartoony. I don't want to nitpick, but maybe somehow whoever is answering the questions could mention that the fandom is very diverse, and not all cartoons?

The point is to simplify the fandom into an explanation that the average bystander will easily understand.  By leading-in with something the person is familiar with and associates with positive adjectives like "fun" and "funny", the process not only becomes 1000x easier, but the person will automatically be pre-disposed to liking furries and thinking the fandom sounds fun.  Once you've accomplished the task of creating a positive mental image of the fandom in the person's mind, and they seem interested beyond that, then you can nit-pick on something as trivial as art styles all you want.

That said, something like "we're fans of artwork portraying animals" or "it's an art convention" is a somewhat effective substitute, but it doesn't quite create the same mental image, nor does it explain things like fursuits (full, partial, or just accessories).  The words "cartoon convention" or "cartoon fans", at least for Americans and most other English-speakers, will create a mental image that's not only positive, but also almost 100% accurate for someone who's never heard of us.  And, it neatly explains the presence of fursuiters at the same time, who are basically real-life cartoon characters, and the most visible part of any RL furry event, both in photos and when witnessed in-person.
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - gay
        |,\_/,\_
 ,-__/,   ,       )kk
           \               \kkkkk
             \               \kkkkk

Offline Cat Fishy

• The geeky cat
  • Red Level
  • Cookies: 4
  • Merrow
    • DeviantArt - Cat-Fishy
    • FurAffinity - Cat_Fishy
  • Fursona Species: aquatic feline
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2010, 02:03:22 pm »
Fair enough. I'll keep that in mind. :)
>^..^<     >( .)

Offline GuilyFlame

• Red Level
  • Cookies: 13
  • Thoroughly ambiverted.
    • FurAffinity - GuilyFlame
  • Fursona Species: Gryphon
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2010, 04:56:20 pm »
Uncle Kage is the best, and so is Natasha  :lol-fox:
------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Alianza

• WHAT THE HELL IS THAT IN THE MIRROR! D=
  • Red Level
  • Cookies: 5
  • What's a thought without a voice to voice it!
    • DeviantArt - Revenant-wyeth
    • FurAffinity - Wyeth
  • Fursona Species: Wolf (Typical)
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2011, 09:10:59 pm »
Thanks for posting this.
 :badger:
Elegant, yet Common.
Sophisticated, yet Simple.
Polite, but rude.
Truthful, but full of lies.

Offline nacky

• Red Level
  • Cookies: 11
    • Twitter - nackyfur
  • Fursona Species: Wolf/BorderCollie
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2011, 09:11:58 pm »
This is a great resource, I'm going to have to remember the simpler answer to give.

Offline SSBBHardcore

• Just your average laser tagging furry
  • Red Level
  • Cookies: 2
  • Where should I travel to today?
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2011, 08:49:41 pm »
Dr. Samuel Conway is the man.  I've had the pleasure of listening to him and 2, the Ranting Gryphon give a session entitled:  "Furries and the media" at Midwest Fur Fest last November in Chicago.  It was very informative and entertaining and I'd encourage all of you to listen to what he has to say.

Offline Izzydagreywolf

• Flat Top Swag
  • Red Level
  • Cookies: 3
    • FurAffinity - Izzydagreywolf
  • Fursona Species: Canis Lupus
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2012, 11:47:14 pm »
If there are any IB furries here then they will know what I'm talking about. I did a TOK presentation on this very topic and I used a couple of clips from videos of Uncle Kage and 2 at Indy Furcon I found on youtube. I think I'll post the video of my presentation on youtube tomorrow or in a couple of days if anyone's interested.
FCW3a A--- C->+ D>++ H M- P+ R T++ W-- Z- Sf- RL->TI a->++++ cn d? e->++ f h*>++++ i j- p+ sf-->f+

words to live by: "A man who will not die for something is not fit to live." - Dr. Martin Luther King JR.

aviation advice: "Stick go up, houses get smaller. Stick go down, houses get bigger. Unless you're upside down." - Anonymous

Offline Salem Ambrogio

• Salem Kills Kittens
  • Yellow Level
  • Cookies: 9
  • I've got a method to my madness.
    • DeviantArt - SalemKillsKittens
    • Amateur Website :D
  • Fursona Species: Wolf
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2012, 12:02:04 pm »
What i dont get is why people jump straight to the yiff when someone even hints on anything furry related. Its pretty close-minded and extremely prejudiced.. Yes, folks, there are furs that engage in that and im sure there are plenty of sites that depics furries as such.. But i see it being similar to "oh, youre native american.. Do you worship animals?" or "really? Your friend is black? Do they like basketball?". Its grouping us together that I can't appreciate. We are technically a group as a whole, but there are little branch factions of us that cause the rest of us to be judged unfairly. :/
kik: SalemKillsKittens

Offline ★Panda★

• Not a duck!
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 595
  • :*・°☆.。.:*・°☆.。
    • DeviantArt - cocoapanda
    • FurAffinity - cocoapanda
  • Fursona Species: Skunk
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2012, 12:19:44 pm »
What i dont get is why people jump straight to the yiff when someone even hints on anything furry related. Its pretty close-minded and extremely prejudiced..

...because people are people
Furries fight this behavior all the time, but I'm a strong believer in the fact that people's opinions will never change =/
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pronouns: They/them
  • Award - Graphic Artist