Author Topic: Earthbound/Mother 2 (10/10) (Image Heavy)  (Read 964 times)

Offline copb.phoenix

• So long and goodnight
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 114
    • FurAffinity - copb_phoenix
Earthbound/Mother 2 (10/10) (Image Heavy)
« on: October 07, 2009, 03:47:03 am »
Haha... Considering how many times Ive played this thing, I might as well post the review of it. This is subject to minor edits for accuracy or "media enhancement" for the next couple of days.

ANYWAY....

Earthbound is a late-era game for the SNES. Its unique style and humor has evolved into somewhat of a cult folowing amongst players, ranging from "Do it Yourself" devotion projects to countless call ins and even net campaigns on sites like Youtube. It's popularity is due, in part, to the unique blend of style and simplicity offered in the game, which are almost hallmark of the creator, Shigaesto Itoi.

Part the first: Plot

Earthbound begins in a small town named Onett in a land known as Eagleland, when a meteor connects with the hillside our hero essentially lives on. Upon investigation of the meteor, our hero, Ness, learns that he's been chosen to stop the universal cosmic destroyer, Gigyas, from ruining the earth ten years in the future. So, Ness must collect melodies, among other events, to save the world.

The game is highly unpredictable in plot. You start, as I said, in Onett, then end up in Twoson because it's the only place to go, then go to fight cultists, then to defeat a zombie horde, then to save the ever popular Saturn Village, then to Fourside, then Moonside, then.... Essentially, you can never tell what curve is going to be thrown at you if the first time you play it is honestly your first experience. Players of the following game, Mother 3, or the preceeding game, Mother, should still play this one, as it sort of stands by itself. Whereas Mother had a nigh impossible difficulty curve, Earthbound sort of eases that in favor of enjoying the plot. As opposed to Mother 3's story, Earthbound is quirky, light hearted, and has few moments that make you want to cry. I promise.

Among many other things, There is something in each of the characters that you can relate to: A boy called to do more than what he should have ever had to face, a girl who was kidnapped, the stereotypical geek boy, a foreign prince... All of them, unique and special in their own right, and all have something you can relate to, as the story goes along and you discover bits and scraps about them.

Part the second: Cast of Characters

Yep. I was steering for it, believe you me.

Ness
First off, yes, this is the same Ness that has been in every single Smash Brothers game. Glad we could clear that up. Ness lives in Onett, with his mother and sister. He's called upon to save the world from it's destruction by a being from the future named Buzz Buzz ("A bee I am... NOT!"). His remarkable talents sort of set him aside as an almost typical kid, at least in the West, due in part to his attire, inventory, and use of weapons such as Yo-Yo's, baseball bats, and slingshots. He is psychic as well, able to use his mind to attack, heal, and eventually teleport from place to place.

Paula
Figuratively, Paula's last name is probably Polestar. She lives somewhere around the Polestar Preschool in Twoson. He family runs the school, and the kids there adore her like a big sis. She is also psychic, able to create massive amounts of damage with telekinetic fire, ice, and lightning. Beyond this, she is also capable of long distance telepathy, which she's sort of noted for using when she's incapable of saving herself and needs help.

Jeff
Jeff, the son of a quirky scientist, Dr. Andonuts [sic], is a genius like no other. He stays at the Snowwood boarding house in Winters, where he attends school. While not capable of anything abnormal, per se, he is able to fix countless broken objects that you''l find through the game, and some of them even become invaluable, either as plot devices or weaponry for him. In fact, he pretty much has the strongest attack in his bottle rockets, which are so strong that, given a little luck, you can destroy most bosses in two or three hits with them.

Poo
Poo is a prince. Of an Eastern country. WAAAAY East. Like, Japan is to the West of this crap, East. He's deep, meditative, a martial artist who eschews weaponry for his own body, save for a sword belonging to his ancestry. He is a true king, who comes from far away to help Ness and his friends. Poo's hallmark is his ablilty to copy enemies flawlessly during a battle, which is roughly a fifty/fifty boost to your chances of surviving in many cases. However, for those who are strict about his form, Poo is sort of the Psychic bridge between Ness and Paula, making him a decent all-rounder for skills.

Beyond those four (our main heroes), there is a treasure trove of quirky, unique, and fun characters to observe. Everyone from Montague (a construction worker in the desert) to the Tendas (they're shy) to Everdread (thief in hiding) to groups such as the Runaway Five (a band which you'll see a bit much of). Some of the characters without names also add a lot of fun to the fray - restrooms with people who actually will talk to you while you stand outside, people who lock their doors that will ask you trivia, and even many of the enemies are worth the time it takes to skim through what they say. After all, a locale is nothing without people!

Part the third: Cast of Locales

I try to transition, but often fail.

Earthbound has some insane locales in it, all unique and diverse enough to keep the game interesting. I'm going to put down my five favorites, but that doesn't meant that that is all of them, and most of these are mid-late game anyway.

Moonside
Supposedly, the story goes that Itoi told his artistic team, I want something fairly off the wall, but I don't care what you come up with. So, the artistic team had free license for one section of the game. That is known as Moonside, a crazy place full of backwards phrasing, flashing lights, and nonsensical denizens. It is memorable, inexplicable, and facinating beyond belief once you get all of the references that are made in it.

The Stoic Club
Woo... This is a place you have to get into to progress the plot, and it isn't easy. After all the struggling to get in, you find out that the only piece worth note is a rock. This club kind of focuses around this rock and the contemplative truth in it. I'll leave it at that - I've seen a lot of people actually miss the NPC contemplations due to being in a hurry, so I had to mention them.

Magicant
Another place that's sort of tripping, but not really. Magicant is a land of dreams, where anything can happen. It's internal, it's personal, it's truth on the highest level. It cannot be disputed. I love this place for two reasons: 1 - your only ally is symbolic of bravery and 2 - your only boss is symbolic of your evil and fear.

Saturn Valley
It's just so quirky... Mr. Saturn live here (yes, I'm fairly certain that's right). The Mr. Saturn aren't human, don't have mouths, and don't make a lick of sense. When you get here, your first response is invariably "What the..?" followed by "CRAZY AWESOME!" Just trust me, you want to drink the coffee... It's deep, dark, and reflective of the soul.

Stonehenge Base
It's where the Starmen make their base to combat the predictions WHIRRRR! of the Apple of Enlightenment. You actually have this be one of the last things you do - go and defeat the commander of the Starmen. It's tripout city, not because you're tripping, but because it's underground, and has lighted edges on all of the scenery.

Part the last: Conclusion

I could rattle on for pages and pages about this game. Items, events, side stories, things that you can do in it... But it's best to share these general things and let you discover it on your own. There is a reason that Starmen.Net exists, and that Ness continues to be a veteran Smash! participant.

Final Rating: 10/10
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 04:27:41 am by copb.phoenix »
  • Flag - turing
  • Award - Beta Tester
Isn't this where...?

Offline Figaccdgi

• who?
  • Orange Level
  • Candies: 13
  • Leeving Erth for no raisin
    • FurAffinity - figaccdgi
  • Fursona Species: Raccoon
Re: Earthbound/Mother 2 (10/10) (Image Heavy)
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 04:40:56 pm »
Wow, you did a really good job on this Phoenix!
I've been trying to play this (Not on an emu I swear please dont hurt me) but what I've found so far, is that it's incredibly hard. Like to the point where I just want to stop playing it. It seems like I have to do a LOT of farming to get anywhere. Is my emu messed up? Or am I just not patient enough? I haven't even gotten Paula yet. I just got past the pencil shaped block. But other than that, this game's been pretty fun.

Offline copb.phoenix

• So long and goodnight
  • Purple Level
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 06:29:57 pm »
Figaccdgi, you're on your way. Trust me, of the three games in the series, this is by far the easiest. Mother is so hard there's a "Normal" hack for it, and Mother 3 has highs and lows.

Somewhere after Peaceful Rest Valley, you'll get to Happy Happy Village. Paula's to be found in that area.

And, dude, even though I own this cartridge and take care of it like my prodigal son, I still emulate it. Not to be cool, but because it's so much easier than digging out my SNES for more than FTGP! every year. Still... You should at least own a game before emulating it. The developers need to make money somehow.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 06:34:40 pm by copb.phoenix »
  • Flag - turing
  • Award - Beta Tester
Isn't this where...?

Offline Sigurd

• Blue Level
  • Candies: 78
  • bluh bluh
  • Fursona Species: a gay
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 09:10:25 pm »
This is just to make myself laugh but:

• Award - Beta Tester

Offline copb.phoenix

• So long and goodnight
  • Purple Level
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 10:25:51 pm »
The Five Star Restaurant in summers will undoubtedly be this:

"What do you want? EMOPPL? We don't serve that here!"

One of the melody induced memories:

"Ness thought he smelled EMOPPL, but only for a moment."
  • Flag - turing
  • Award - Beta Tester
Isn't this where...?

Offline Sigurd

• Blue Level
  • Candies: 78
  • bluh bluh
  • Fursona Species: a gay
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 10:27:47 pm »
The Five Star Restaurant in summers will undoubtedly be this:

"What do you want? EMOPPL? We don't serve that here!"

One of the melody induced memories:

"Ness thought he smelled EMOPPL, but only for a moment."

Yeah xD;;; It was hilarious though.
  • Award - Beta Tester

Offline Otis-Reamclaw

• Candies: 0
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2009, 06:47:10 pm »
Oh man.

Earthbound is one of my favourite games of all time and I'm so glad that you made this thread :3

I think I prefer Mother 3 a bit more than Earthbound (I wasn't a big fan of the oblique perspective in EB and M3's battle system is too awesome for words) but EB is still an incredible and sadly overlooked RPG.

Offline copb.phoenix

• So long and goodnight
  • Purple Level
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2009, 12:13:26 pm »
Oh man.

Earthbound is one of my favourite games of all time and I'm so glad that you made this thread :3

I think I prefer Mother 3 a bit more than Earthbound (I wasn't a big fan of the oblique perspective in EB and M3's battle system is too awesome for words) but EB is still an incredible and sadly overlooked RPG.

NO EB = NO English hack by Mr. Mandelin and crew for M3. Do your research - this is where it starts for any language that isn't Japanese.

Ok Des'ka?
  • Flag - turing
  • Award - Beta Tester
Isn't this where...?

Offline feline_jay

• NESS NESS NESS NESS
  • Red Level
  • Candies: 1
  • I AM H.A.P.P.Y
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2009, 02:00:34 pm »
Best. This is best.
I also just recently beat earthbound, again.