Author Topic: Variety in musical taste.  (Read 3201 times)

Offline copb.phoenix

• So long and goodnight
  • Purple Level
  • Mince Pies: 115
    • FurAffinity - copb_phoenix
  • Awards:
    Flag - turing
Re: Variety in musical taste.
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2010, 09:26:04 pm »
Well... Whether or not I like music isn't based solidly on a genre, as such, but more what drives it. So, the two types I'm going to give you are "conceptual" and "only befitting modern day Farfan".

Those songs only befitting modern day Farfan I hate because they're made to sell, not because they mean much of anything. Such songs that have fallen into this are things like "Air Force Ones", "Umbrella", "Inhibitions", and even most of the Nauto soundtrack (actually, you can easily extend this to just about anything to tell if I'd like it or not.)

Those ones called conceptual have a tidbit of thought or innovation or uniqueness about them. So, tracks like "You Never Even Called Me By My Name", most anything Mike Shinoda, and "Fire Coming Out of a Monkey's Head" fall into this.

Don't get confused - often, I'll hate most of one artist but love a couple of their songs because they skip to the opposite type. Artists known for that are: Metallica ("Wherever I May Roam"), Trent Reznor/Nine Inch Nails ("Hurt"), Marilyn Manson ("The Dope Show"), and Led Zeppelin ("Stairway to Heaven"). It just has to be more than instant gratification; "It has a good beat" doesn't mean much to me when it's absolutely overlaid with "BOOTY BOOTY BOOTY BOOTY ROCKIN EVERYWHERE!"
  • Award - Beta Tester
Isn't this where...?

Offline lucien

• i sold my hands for food
  • Purple Level
  • Mince Pies: 205
  • so please feed me.
    • DeviantArt - m0rtuum
    • FurAffinity - spazzeh
    • Twitter - officerkd637
  • Fursona Species: african lion
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2010, 11:25:47 pm »
I'll listen to anything <3 I'm not picky with music. If it sounds good, I'll listen.
If you raid my music library, it goes from rap to metal to opera. Srsly.
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: he/him

Offline EmmiKat

• Orange Level
  • Mince Pies: 6
  • Fursona Species: Feline!~
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2010, 11:36:03 pm »
Yes: industrial, dark electro, techno, trance, black metal, gothic metal, folk, viking metal, celtic. I like a lot of music, a little rap, a little pop, a little bit of everything.
No: ...probably new screamo. It is TERRIBAD. Theyhave no right to call themselves hardcore. In my opinion, hardcore (and punk/emo for that matter...) is pretty much dead now :| BMTH? No thanks.

Why? Black/gothic/folk/doom/post metal is beautiful. It's different. It has a certain dark beauty that I've always been attracted to. Take for example, Burzum. Their music takes me on a trip (and no, I don't do any drugs whilst listening to music XD) It makes me think deeply, and I get lost in the music. Sounds cliche, but I really feel empowered by metal. I dislike most mainstream music, I don't like generic sounds.

Offline Izzy

• Green Level
  • Mince Pies: 33
  • Meep~!
    • FurAffinity - Squawk
  • Fursona Species: Deinonychus
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2010, 11:39:52 pm »
Yes: industrial, dark electro, techno, trance, black metal, gothic metal, folk, viking metal, celtic. I like a lot of music, a little rap, a little pop, a little bit of everything.
No: ...probably new screamo. It is TERRIBAD. Theyhave no right to call themselves hardcore. In my opinion, hardcore (and punk/emo for that matter...) is pretty much dead now :| BMTH? No thanks.

Why? Black/gothic/folk/doom/post metal is beautiful. It's different. It has a certain dark beauty that I've always been attracted to. Take for example, Burzum. Their music takes me on a trip (and no, I don't do any drugs whilst listening to music XD) It makes me think deeply, and I get lost in the music. Sounds cliche, but I really feel empowered by metal. I dislike most mainstream music, I don't like generic sounds.

Ah yes almost forgot about that, also dislike screamo! Hurt's my poor sensitive ears :(, I guess I can live with some of it, but it's just too blegh for me...
  • Award - Beta Tester

Offline Chopin

• Green Level
  • Mince Pies: 18
  • We're the Last in Line!
    • FurAffinity - chopin
  • Fursona Species: White Tiger/Dragon
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2010, 11:04:03 pm »
My sentiments exactly.

I love the stuff not because it's the most technically skilled stuff, it's gotten much better over the years, it's the emotion & energy that's put into heavy metal.  And, frankly, some of it can be pretty poetic at times.  It's weird, but it's truly amazing when it does.
"You've got your stairs to Heaven, you may be right.  I only know in my world, I hate the light, I speed at night!"
-Dio, I Speed At Night

Offline Milo

• Yellow Level
  • Mince Pies: 19
  • Cat in Boxers <3
    • FurAffinity - www.furaffinity.net/user/DaxtonCat
    • Twitter - @nickroiz
    • My FormSpring
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2010, 04:30:02 pm »
Hate: Old Rock/ 70's and 80's Rock

Every song sounds exactly the same. They all have the same raspy, sick, whiney voice. All the guitar riffs are now easily portrayed as basic scales and practices for little wannabe's of today. If I hear the opening of "Sweet Child Of Mine" one more time, I'm gonna punch that Spencer's/ Hot Topic Douchebag in the face. Unless you're an adult and have grown up with that music, there should be no reason for you to try to cover it on your own guitar and call yourself a rocker. No teenager of today will EVER sound like Slash. To me, it's all boring filler music for another GuitarHero game.

Love: Indie/ Underground Bands: All Original, all diffrent, all amazing. All the lyrics are something absolutely amazing and have such amazing messages to it. They are all bands that have lived around the city and the urban life and right there music off of there everyday living. Unlike the metal bands decades ago who got high of there mind and banged groupies for there next track XD
Look up "Band of Horses" or "Vampire Weekend" . You'll see what I mean
Nick, when are you going to stop being a smartass!
...As soon as you stop making it so easy.

Offline Tyler

• Meow is now 20% cooler
  • Green Level
  • Mince Pies: 31
  • OM NOM NOM NOM
    • FurAffinity - poofykitteh
    • Twitter - poofykityeh
  • Fursona Species: Kitty!!!
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2010, 11:30:41 pm »
hmm, seems like most have said the same thing, but i really dont hate any genre of music, just depends on what mood im in, i loves me some good techno music any day though, love the fast beats!

Offline Acrisuis

• Green Level
  • Mince Pies: 22
  • SOMEONE needs to love insects....
    • DeviantArt - Pocket-fulla-shells
  • Fursona Species: Insect thing
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2010, 07:35:25 pm »
I'm going to sound like a snobby gruble boots here, but my 2 most disliked forms of music are Dance and 'party songs' (as In YMCA, S club 7 songs, and the like)

I find party songs very irritating and flat, and abuse happy tones, with cringeworthy lyrics. It may just be me (and other people as well) But I get no uplift from these songs, and the end result is me frowning

As for dance, this varys for me. Some forms of dance/disco can be somewhat mediocre. For example, (though this is a stretch) I actually quite like Jamiroquai - good musicianship, and if i had to dance to anything, it would be that. However, 'nightclub' dance to me is terrible, hence why I don't go there. The singing is god-awful - either a robotic woman voice, or a male trying to rap, but be somewhat poppy at the same time. It's like putting urine and dihoreah faeces in a blender. Oh, and 'chipmunk' vocals - why anyone finds this appealing is a complete mystery. As for the backing music, it's boring and predictable, and can't be done live, since it's all made by computers. As for the lowest of the low...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIJ-VByAsZI...it speaks for itslef

As for what I like...pretty much what Schism said, except less on tool and more on opeth