Author Topic: Movie: The Blind Side  (Read 642 times)

Offline Meadow Whisper (Natasha)

• ᎣᏏᏲ! I'm a horse now! ^.^
  • FT Founder
  • Cookies: 397
    • DeviantArt - lupiniastudios
    • FurAffinity - softpaw
    • Twitter - lupinia
    • Weasyl - softpaw
    • Lupinia Studios
  • Fursona Species: Chincoteague Pony
Movie: The Blind Side
« on: November 27, 2009, 10:43:39 pm »
I don't write about many of these, but with all the hoopla around 2012 and New Moon, this movie would be pretty easy to glance over, especially since they hardly aired any trailers for it on TV.  Yet, unlike those other two, it's a genuinely good film, without requiring fangirlism or special effects to redeem it.  More than that, it's an exceptionally high-quality film, one of the best I've seen in years.  So, if you haven't seen it yet, go see it!  I personally guarantee it'll be the most fulfilling movie you've seen in a long time.

If you're not familiar with the plot, it's a drama about a kid from the ghetto/projects (like the "you gonna get shot" ghetto, not the "they have an ugly lawn" ghetto) who is taken in by a somewhat out-of-touch rich family.  Along the way, he becomes awesome at football.  Telling more would give away too much of the story, but believe me when I say that this is no ordinary football movie.  In fact, it's based on the true story of pro football player Michael Oher, whose life story inspired a book as well, and an excerpt was published in New York Times Magazine, so that ought to say something about how awesome it is.

The movie itself is executed beautifully, with some of the best acting I've seen in any movie all year.  The characters are well-constructed, the story is coherant and well-told, and the filmography has some of the most powerful visuals I've seen since Brokeback Mountain.  Just the stark difference between the various settings is executed well, but the true beauty is in the details.  Something as simple as a car driving down a road conveys emotion, and not every director can pull that off.

So, yeah, not much else comes to mind without spoilers, so just go see it.  Even if you don't typically like dramas, or football, I don't think it's possible to not appreciate this movie :-)
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Here is a horse I have made for you:
        |,\_/,\_
 ,-__/,   ,       )kk
.                     \,kkk
 \    ,___....--     \kkkk
           \               \kkkkk
             \               \kkkkk

Note:  I'm no longer actively involved in running this site, so while I welcome any personal messages, please do not contact me about account issues.  Please direct all such inquiries to Panda.  Thanks for all the years of awesome memories and friendship!  <3

Offline Diligent Dreamer

• Now With Telekinetic Pineapple Powers
  • Orange Level
  • Cookies: 15
  • Terrorizing the planet Earth since 1996
Re: Movie: The Blind Side
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 10:47:44 pm »
Two days ago I went to see this with my class : D

It's a really good movie, ( I don't like football too much ) but yet It's one of the best movies I've seen all year :3

Saddest scene for me in there was when they got in the car crashey thing x.x

Nice review : D
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 10:49:50 pm by Diligent Dreamer »
മ മ
 ワ  <( Awesome! )

Offline lucien

• i sold my hands for food
  • Purple Level
  • Cookies: 204
  • so please feed me.
    • DeviantArt - m0rtuum
    • FurAffinity - spazzeh
    • Twitter - onlygxdforgives
  • Fursona Species: african lion
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 11:18:23 pm »
I was planning on seeing it next weekend, it looks pretty amazing.
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: he/him

Offline Schism

• Blue Level
  • Cookies: 82
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 03:40:23 pm »
My brother is going to see it soon, but I'm not really a fan of those kind of movies. So, I'll probably wait until it comes out on DVD.

Offline Amui

• Crazy as Duck
  • Orange Level
  • Cookies: 11
  • Je Vois Tout
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 10:52:54 pm »
As a Football fan i went to see this Movie, but it turned out being much more than i had expected when i saw it, and most everything that can be said has been said by Natasha, except that mah man Lou Holtz made a couple of appearances!
That alone makes this movie totally worthwhile.