Author Topic: How did you choose your Furry species?  (Read 4831 times)

Offline Izzy

• Green Level
  • Cookies: 33
  • Meep~!
    • FurAffinity - Squawk
  • Fursona Species: Deinonychus
How did you choose your Furry species?
« on: December 05, 2009, 10:39:19 pm »
Just a question that might help me, but also for the fun of everyone else that wishes to post here. So I'm just wondering how did everyone else choose their Fursona species? Was it your favorite animal at the time? Is the creature so distinctly similar to you in terms of personality and/or looks? Curious as to what inspired your decisions... maybe It'll help me discover what species my Fursona would be  :fox-:P:!

Hopefully I'm not breaking any rules by posting this topic  :fox-:):, I read the rules and didn't see anything against it, but who knows I may have missed it  :lol-fox:, hoping not to begin breaking any rules, feeling kind of paranoid right now  :fox-;):
  • Award - Beta Tester

Offline Schism

• Blue Level
  • Cookies: 82
Re: How did you choose your Furry species?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 11:00:55 pm »
Ha, you're not breaking anything.

How I chose my species was: I looked at a lot of furry art. A lot. Finally, when I decided that I was in fact, a furry, I thought to myself "Which is the most appealing species?" Well, I came to the conclusion of fox. They're sneaky and mischievous, kind of like me. Also, they're cute! So yeah! Look at a lot of furry art, and see which species you like.

Your avatar freaks me out. What is it, may I ask?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 11:19:46 pm by Schism »

Offline lucien

• i sold my hands for food
  • Purple Level
  • Cookies: 204
  • so please feed me.
    • DeviantArt - m0rtuum
    • FurAffinity - spazzeh
    • Twitter - onlygxdforgives
  • Fursona Species: african lion
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 11:12:25 pm »
Well. Dang. I guess if I write about one fursona I have to write about all of them.
So. My main fursona is a lioness. I designed her when I had just joined a fanart site dedicated to African animals, and everyone there drew lions so I went "hurrr" and chose a lion.
My alternative fursona is an African Clawless Otter. I LOVELOVELOVE otters gkdsgkldf <3 I knew I wanted an otter as an alt, but didn't wanna choose something cliche like a generic river or sea otter. Did some research and found the clawless and swooned <3
Aaand my other alt is a fossa. They're cool and unique, and definitely awesome. I just wanted a species that wasn't exactly popular but still amazing xD
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: he/him

Offline Toranar

• He who falls from walls
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 36
  • Pic by Princess Rei
    • FurAffinity - Toranar
  • Fursona Species: Manx Loaghtan Sheep
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 11:18:03 pm »
I'm an aries, and I used to headbutt people when I was a child... So it only seemed appropriate to be a ram.
  • Site Donor
"The townspeople need you, they've been sad for a while
They march around, faces frown and never seem to smile
And if you feel like helping, we'd appreciate a loooooot
If you get up there and spread some cheer from here to Canterlooooooot!"- Applejack's best line ever. And my favorite song line.

Offline Izzy

• Green Level
  • Meep~!
    • FurAffinity - Squawk
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 11:25:08 pm »
Quite interesting, thanks to you three, the replies were quite helpful, Thanks once again!

Happy I'm not breaking any rules ^.^, and sorry Schism for my scary avatar!  :lol-fox:
  • Award - Beta Tester

Offline Figaccdgi

• who?
  • Orange Level
  • Cookies: 13
  • Leeving Erth for no raisin
    • FurAffinity - figaccdgi
  • Fursona Species: Raccoon
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009, 04:31:18 am »
Well, before signing up here, I was trying to think of a species.
I like to be different, and choose things that most people wouldn't. But I didn't want to go too far out there with it O-O
Raccoons seemed pretty rare-ish, and they're really cool animules.
I also love the Rockoons 1 and 2 by Cerebus(?) XP
So yeah

-Edit-
I also used to be a huge fan of the Sly Cooper games.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 05:03:08 am by Figaccdgi »

Offline Izzy

• Green Level
  • Meep~!
    • FurAffinity - Squawk
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2009, 04:59:34 am »
Quite interesting ^.^, yah I've been thinking about the whole species thing for quite a while, always couldn't decide...
Well I wanted basically multiple species, but then again, wasn't really into having a hybrid... After thinking a bit I finally decided on the ancient species, Deinonychus! I don't know how common those are, but it doesn't really matter to me, I feel happy with it, and worked on creating my Fursona on pixels.

Finished it, although it needs some fixing up.

http://www.furryteens.org/forum/index.php?topic=6338.new#new

« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 05:05:00 am by Squawk »
  • Award - Beta Tester

Offline Alex Galloway

• The Defender
  • Blue Level
  • Cookies: 62
  • :D
    • FurAffinity - HaddockWolf
  • Fursona Species: Dracocatwolf, Illogical Tribrid from another dimension
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2009, 06:03:51 am »
Well, my favorite animal as a kid was a bear, but as I got older it changed to a wolf (although most of my family still thinks its a polar bear) So I used That, but I also Love the idea of wings. I always have, I always will, so I incorporated that into my design to. Since there is no scale in my pic, you can't tell that he is actually very big, Larger than a horse. It comes from his half-dragon blood.

My description:
"I'm a Wolf who is half Red Dragon. I get most of my physical traits from the wolf half. The wings and my size come from the dragon side; I am a bit bigger than an SUV, and have a wing span of 60-feet. My wings muscles fold up much like an oriental fan, and under my fur is a layer of Hard Scales, forming an unseen coat of armor."
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 06:41:48 am by Haddock Wolf »
"In the end we will not remember the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." -Dr. MLK Jr.
Every person is born a white canvas, and each person we touch, each person we talk to, they impart a shade of their color upon you. and these mixes of colors blend into a unique shade that is you - Alexander (me)

Offline Tristan Thilorn

• Orange Level
  • Cookies: 12
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2009, 02:15:02 pm »
I've had an on-and-off fascination with foxes and wolves for quite a while now (even prior to my joining the fandom), and a similar fascination with the Asian legend of the kitsune.

Even when I was first joining the fandom, I had already begun to feel a spiritual connection with my fursona and foxes in general (I consider myself to be Otherkin), so I felt that the kitsune would be a perfect way to express this in a subtle manner.

This aspect is somewhat hard for me to explain, but if you read about kitsune/kumiho on Wikipedia it might make sense. Or it might not... I dunno. *Shrugs*

Also, on a purely aesthetic level, I had noticed that 'plain' red foxes were quite common as fursonas, and they seemed rather dull to me. Being a kitsune gave me more freedom (and individuality) by allowing me to have multiple limbs (read: tails) without having to refer to myself as a multifur (or some similar explanation), and the relative obscurity of the species.

Offline Daniel A. Skirtandzy

• Purple Level
  • Cookies: 162
    • FurAffinity - Skirtandzy1
    • LiveJournal - Skirtandzy
    • Twitter - Skirtandzy
  • Fursona Species: Domestic Cat
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2009, 02:52:59 pm »
I blame my cat.

I also love the Rockoons 1 and 2 by Cerebus(?) XP

Some of the best videos... (but Rockoons2 is better)
  • Flag - lawyer
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Site Donor

Offline Fallenmink

• Red Level
  • Cookies: 2
  • Pretty cool dude.
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2009, 05:08:37 pm »
Came from a random name generator about 5 years ago, I'm not known for my originality so I just went with the species in the name (the current one I'm using). Since then it just stuck, never bothered to change either my name or species.
Witty Signature

Offline Sulphur

• Green Level
  • Cookies: 27
    • DeviantArt - SulphurTea
    • FurAffinity - Sulphuric
    • LiveJournal - SulphurTea
    • Twitter - Sulphurtea
  • Fursona Species: Spotted Hyena
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2009, 09:24:08 pm »
I was just thinking about dragons one day during gym and my mind moved over to my fursona at the time, an otter, which I had been realizing in the past week-ish didn't really fit me much anymore. Suddenly it occurred to me that, since I did and still do draw dragons a lot, that a dragon fursona would be really cool and fit me. However, I did want to make a fursuit of my fursona one day, whatever that fursona was and I've never been to fond of taking totally scaly dragon characters and all of a sudden make them covered in fur for a costumes so what about a furred dragon? After that I spent a few days just sketching various furred dragons, and dragon like characters covered in fur and came up with Sulphur.

Also, awesome fursona. Dinos = Win.

Offline Izzy

• Green Level
  • Meep~!
    • FurAffinity - Squawk
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2009, 11:48:36 pm »
Thank you Sulphur, your Fursona is amazing, as well as everyone that I've seen, you all have amazing Fursonas!   :fox-:P:
  • Award - Beta Tester

Offline Toranar

• He who falls from walls
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 36
  • Pic by Princess Rei
    • FurAffinity - Toranar
  • Fursona Species: Manx Loaghtan Sheep
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2009, 12:01:50 am »
To break my own self made ice, I have to admit i've recently considered switching to a rat, if I do it was because time and time again i've been called one. this is for several reasons.

A: someone i dislike used to say I looked like one.
B: when I fought one of my friends in a blind rage he said I fought alot like a rat would.
And C: I owned a rat, and i loved that thing more than any other pet i've ever owned.

So needless to say, I have an affinity for them.

But their friggen hard to draw as an anthropomorphic creature... not too bad as an animal though.
  • Site Donor
"The townspeople need you, they've been sad for a while
They march around, faces frown and never seem to smile
And if you feel like helping, we'd appreciate a loooooot
If you get up there and spread some cheer from here to Canterlooooooot!"- Applejack's best line ever. And my favorite song line.

Offline Kambo

• Personally knew Abe Lincoln
  • Blue Level
  • Cookies: 85
  • True story.
    • DeviantArt - kamboblack
    • FurAffinity - harlan
    • Twitter - kamboblack
    • Weasyl - harlan
    • Unfinished Portfolio Site :(
  • Fursona Species: Grey fox
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2009, 01:54:24 pm »
When I was around 5 or 6, we went to the zoo, and of course, I got lost. As I wandered around, looking for the right pair of legs, I wound the wolf place. It was really cool. This wolf was right THERE, just staring at me. Something happened then, and I've had this "thing" with wolves ever since.
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His
Feel free to PM me, I don't bite! I reserve that treatment for sushi and pretzels.

Fursona References (Kambo and Camille)

Offline Alex Galloway

• The Defender
  • Blue Level
  • Cookies: 62
  • :D
    • FurAffinity - HaddockWolf
  • Fursona Species: Dracocatwolf, Illogical Tribrid from another dimension
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2009, 03:26:23 pm »
Harlan, that's actually really cool.
"In the end we will not remember the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." -Dr. MLK Jr.
Every person is born a white canvas, and each person we touch, each person we talk to, they impart a shade of their color upon you. and these mixes of colors blend into a unique shade that is you - Alexander (me)

Offline Lycaeus

• Yellow Level
  • Cookies: 12
  • <purr></purr>
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2009, 06:35:52 am »
Well, I was looking at various cats, and the named was interesting, the cat fit perfectly, and so there you go.

No real story behind it, it's just something that clicked.

Offline Kambo

• Personally knew Abe Lincoln
  • Blue Level
  • Cookies: 85
  • True story.
    • DeviantArt - kamboblack
    • FurAffinity - harlan
    • Twitter - kamboblack
    • Weasyl - harlan
    • Unfinished Portfolio Site :(
  • Fursona Species: Grey fox
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2009, 02:18:46 pm »
@Haddock: Thank you. I thought so.
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His
Feel free to PM me, I don't bite! I reserve that treatment for sushi and pretzels.

Fursona References (Kambo and Camille)

Offline EmmiKat

• Orange Level
  • Cookies: 6
  • Fursona Species: Feline!~
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2009, 01:03:34 am »
I've always felt a connection to cats. My favorite stuffed animals were cats, I had pet cats, I meowed at people when I was very young...heh. they're beautiful creatures. That sounds creepy, but it's true XD Cats=cool.
My secondary fursonas...now those were just other animals that I liked, for their behaviour and looks. Coyotes and hyenas are just gorgeous, and I like scavengers :x

Offline Sigurd

• Blue Level
  • Cookies: 78
  • bluh bluh
  • Fursona Species: a gay
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2009, 01:57:42 am »
I just recently chosen my fursona after a few days of thinking.

How did I get Doberman? I have no idea but it somehow fits me.

Yeah.
  • Award - Beta Tester