Author Topic: Waterways by Kyell Gold  (Read 5168 times)

Offline Tigneon

• Boop.
  • Red Level
  • Candies: 4
  • ... Are you...?
Waterways by Kyell Gold
« on: December 10, 2009, 12:30:29 am »
Unless I missed something in the search, there were no topics covering this novel.

If you don't know, Kyell Gold is a well known author in the furry community, commonly writing furry erotica. Though a few years old now, Waterways is no exception to this statement. Waterways is a novel based around a young otter trying to find his sexuality while keeping up with the rest of the world around him. Soon, he is faced with a life changing decision on who and what is important. The novel is a dramatic and romantic piece that can be closely identified with teens today (and honestly, a lot of teen furries). The terrific writing style Gold has is outstanding and captures every bit of detail as the young otter finds out who he really is. This piece is emotional, personal, and dramatic to such an extent that the reader can look at themselves and wonder, "who am I?"

From a personal standpoint, this is probably one of the best books I have ever read. To put that into perspective, I don't read; I just about hate it to death, but this masterpiece has changed my attitude. In too many ways can I associate myself with the protagonist, Kory, throughout the novel. The novel takes the reader through today's problems with homosexuality and finding out who you really are. To reiterate past statements, I cried to the emotion built in this novel.  :sad-fox:

To those of you who have not found this piece yet, I highly suggest picking it up from Sofawolf Press or Amazon for your Kindle/iTouch. Though mature content is found within the text, the moral behind the story is breath-taking. Waterways will make you think. Remember, don't conform to what others feel is right; do what you know is right.
Yep.

Offline Drogo Brush

• Red Level
  • Candies: 6
    • Twitter - SquirrelArcher
Re: Waterways by Kyell Gold
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 01:09:03 am »
I would love to read his works they sound very interesting.

Offline Tigneon

• Boop.
  • Red Level
  • ... Are you...?
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 11:55:24 pm »
As stated before, most are erotic novels, but Waterways and Out of Position were both about finding out about oneself. Those two were also much easier identifiable with teens.
Yep.

Offline lucien

• i sold my hands for food
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 204
  • so please feed me.
    • DeviantArt - m0rtuum
    • FurAffinity - spazzeh
    • Twitter - onlygxdforgives
  • Fursona Species: african lion
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 12:11:26 am »
I've heard about this book a few times, but never actually heard if it was GOOD or not.
Thanks for postin' this review! :3 Now, I might actually look into getting the book.
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: he/him

Offline Daniel Necros

• Apathetic Agnostic
  • Orange Level
  • Oh man, oh man, oh man!
    • FurAffinity - DanielNecros
    • Twitter - DanielNecros
  • Fursona Species: Genetic Experiment (Fox/ Crow/ Elk); Common Tauntaun alt.
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 09:17:46 pm »
You said that there was mature content in it, but I'm wondering exactly how mature, oh, and if you've read Out of Position, how bad is it mature-content-wise?  Both look really good to me, but I can only find them over the internet and I live with overprotective parents.
If you aren't completely P.Od, then you're in a fantasy world!  Avatar by Five: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/ticktock1992/

Offline Schism

• Blue Level
  • Candies: 82
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 09:46:43 pm »
Man....I want to read this sooo badly. Do you know if there is a way I can buy a E-copy of this?
I don't want my parents reading it xD

Offline Aragon

• A fox with Manors? Impressive
  • Yellow Level
  • Candies: 12
  • I love Nick <3
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 10:05:25 pm »
i thought it was really good. I would give it 4/5 though
Official Host of UrbanFurz 2010 summer meet

Offline Tigneon

• Boop.
  • Red Level
  • ... Are you...?
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 10:46:19 pm »
Man....I want to read this sooo badly. Do you know if there is a way I can buy a E-copy of this?
I don't want my parents reading it xD

I felt the same way. You can purchase an e-book copy on amazon for about $10 that can be read on your kindle or iphone/touch with the kindle app.

Or... you can read my PM to ya.
Yep.

Offline Schism

• Blue Level
  • Candies: 82
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2010, 04:27:04 pm »
Ok...this book...is AWESOME!!

I'm about halfway through it, and I can't put it down! It's very in-depth, and the author does a great job with characterization.

I can definitely identify with Kory from this story, maybe that's why I love it so much :D

But still, READ THIS BOOK! It's not too long (302 pages). Waterways is waaay worth it!

Offline GrayWolf

• A lone wolf, but one with many friends.
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 35
  • Love is not life; love enhances life~Green Fairy
  • Fursona Species: Timber Wolf
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2014, 11:40:14 pm »
In my opinion, this is one of my most favorite romance novels of all time. I loved everything about it, the characters, the passion, the romance, the pacing, everything! Still, if I had to nitpick a problem with it, i'd be the pop cultural references. Like how they literally reference the Transformers movie still being in theaters. It's a pity, because i want this to be timeless.

Still, in my opinion, i'd give it an A+++++++++++++++++++++++++++ :fox-;): :D
I consider myself a lone wolf, but I don't mind a friend or two to talk with. I also happen to be a writer.

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." ~Ray Bradbury

Offline furrylifeguard

• *blows whistle* Walk, dang it!
  • Yellow Level
  • Candies: 64
  • I live at the bottom of the pool I guard.
    • DeviantArt - thefurrylifeguard
    • FurAffinity - thefurrylifeguard
    • Twitter - furrylifeguard
  • Fursona Species: Wolf
Waterways by Kyell Gold
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2014, 11:47:25 am »
Quote from: Daniel Necros on February 23, 2010, 09:17:46 pm
You said that there was mature content in it, but I'm wondering exactly how mature, oh, and if you've read Out of Position, how bad is it mature-content-wise?  Both look really good to me, but I can only find them over the internet and I live with overprotective parents.
There are three or four explicit scenes, but they are fairly short and minor. Out of Position has more, and there is one explicit illustration. However, in both, the explicit scenes are important to the story. I would still advise you to make sure that there is nobody standing behind you (happened to me). There is an e-book version available on Amazon for $7.99 (Waterways) and $9.99 (Out of Position).
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 11:50:26 am by thefurrylifeguard »
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." "To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Feel free to talk to me! I don't bite, although I probably smell like chlorine.

• split your infinities
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 59
  • By irishthorns@FA
    • FurAffinity - aurorapaws
    • Twitter - aurorafatalis
  • Fursona Species: a cleverly arranged amalgamation of carbon compounds
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2014, 12:30:40 am »
Now that I've read this (and decided that it's my favorite book, honestly), I feel like I should post here. I don't really need to explain anything because I pretty much agree word for word with the three people posting above me.  :fox-:P:
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pride Flag - demiromantic

None of this will matter
20 years from now

Offline Gerard

• Red Level
  • Candies: 3
  • Fursona Species: White Tiger
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2014, 08:52:56 pm »
I loved Waterways I thought it was amazing something i would definitely recommend to others
Our lives and everyones lives revolve around the choices that so many others make

Also my avatar is pretty close other than the stripes since i cant draw worth uhmmmm lets just say my stick figures dont look like stick figures.

Offline Ceddo Canidae

• I believe and hope that the Soul/Spirit/Essence/... of a being holds great power~
  • Love cannot be Sin
    • DeviantArt - Ceddo-95
    • FurAffinity - Ceddo_Canidae
    • Twitter - Ceddo95
  • Fursona Species: Folf
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2014, 07:29:18 pm »
I do agree with everyone's post above mine.
'Waterways' was the first anthropomorphic Novel (despite of a sample of 'Out of Position') I have ever read.
It is not an understatement if I 'say' that I was and still am impressed by Mr. Kyell Gold's first book in the Forester Universe. Through its delightful realistic characters and the various well detailed descriptions of the settings I felt very comfortable while reading and following the story. (It seems to be too realistic to be fictious.  :lol-fox:  )
I highly recommend this book to everybody. But especially to those who might be (still) searching for themselves or/and to those who are unsure about themselves aswell. (I can admit that this book helped me to develop the next level of myself.)
Yes, there is some adult content which I would rather call mature teenage content instead.  :fox-;):
I hope there will be (soon) a few new Kyell Gold-fans or at least fans of this (splendid) book.  :fox-:):
Everything should just be...ANIME!!! (*~*)

By the way... If you want to get a better impression of my being...I'm also on tumblr. :)
http://ceddo-95.tumblr.com/

Offline Voltz

• Blue Level
  • Candies: 306
  • Fursona Species: -
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2014, 09:12:26 pm »
I found a copy of this book a few months ago and I read through it soo quickly because I couldn't put it down. It was that good, and I am normally not one who likes to read "fictional" books so this was quite the nice delight for me to read and actually enjoy for a change! If I could change one thing about the book, it would be making it longer so I would have had more to read  :fox-:P: This book I think has made my list of favorite books of all time.
  • Pronouns: -

Offline Doaxes

• The One and Only . . . because otherwise they wouldn't let me use the name.
  • Orange Level
  • Candies: 15
  • ^^Aurora made my icon!^^
  • Fursona Species: Red Fox
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2014, 10:18:25 am »
My favorite book, hands down. Not only was it vitally important in helping me come to terms with who I was, but it also pretty much single-handedly got me back into reading, at a time when after years of book reports and video games I had very little interest in trying anymore.

Also I have a huge crush on Samaki, but that's beside the point.
KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!!!!

https://soundcloud.com/segment-of-brain
I MAKE THINGS

Offline GrayWolf

• A lone wolf, but one with many friends.
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 35
  • Love is not life; love enhances life~Green Fairy
  • Fursona Species: Timber Wolf
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2014, 11:39:10 am »

Amen to that, my furry friend! :lol-fox: In fact, out of all the sequels to great furry books, how come Samaki can't get a book of his own?!? Thats how great of a character he is! <3
I consider myself a lone wolf, but I don't mind a friend or two to talk with. I also happen to be a writer.

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." ~Ray Bradbury

Offline furrylifeguard

• *blows whistle* Walk, dang it!
  • Yellow Level
  • Candies: 64
  • I live at the bottom of the pool I guard.
    • DeviantArt - thefurrylifeguard
    • FurAffinity - thefurrylifeguard
    • Twitter - furrylifeguard
  • Fursona Species: Wolf
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2014, 01:49:21 pm »

Amen to that, my furry friend! :lol-fox: In fact, out of all the sequels to great furry books, how come Samaki can't get a book of his own?!? Thats how great of a character he is! <3
I think most of us have a crush on Samaki. And the reason Kyell hasn't written a sequel to Waterways is because, in his mind, Kory and Samaki don't want the spotlight anymore because of their characters. If you want to see it from their point of view, they both got thrust into the spotlight accidentally, so they don't want to be there anymore. Whereas Dev and Lee enjoy the spotlight, so their story continues. I can sort of see where he's coming from, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't love a book focusing on Samaki's life, before and after the events of Waterways.
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." "To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Feel free to talk to me! I don't bite, although I probably smell like chlorine.