Author Topic: Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days (9/10)  (Read 966 times)

Offline copb.phoenix

• So long and goodnight
  • Purple Level
  • Cookies: 115
    • FurAffinity - copb_phoenix
Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days (9/10)
« on: December 10, 2009, 05:38:02 pm »
Preface: Before you read this and wonder why it sounds so odd, this review was originally meant for FTR, but I kept drowning myself out. This has since been canceled, in favor of a newer game. So, then, this review was ripped from my message to our Poderator, and follows the format that it would have had if I could have kept talking.

Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 days

Right on into it! I've decided, because it's a fairly solid system for reviewing pretty much anything, I'm going to borrow some of the best parts of the review schemes from GI, XBM, and NP. However, don't feel like I'm a rip-off for it; I just can't conceive of what else I'd scale a game on, and it's something familiar to quite a lot of people, and, I'm certain, a lot of teenagers.

That bit out of the way, I've decided the first game I'll at least write a review for is Square Enix's new Disney related game, Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days. For those not familiar with the most basic premise behind the series, Kingdom Hearts takes many of the stars from the Final Fantasy series, a whole lot of Disney characters and locales, and a flurry of new characters to build a plot that is almost reminiscent of old age Disney.

The basic premise of this partcular game in the series is to take a piece of the story largely untold, that is, the portion that takes place within the virtually souless Organization XIII during Sora's time just after the first Kingdom Hearts through rougly the beginning of the second. The game has you playing the part of Roxas, a character that split from Sora during the first game in the oft agitating Heartless scene. Roxas wakes up entirely unaware of who he is and where he's from, and the game details his ascension in Organization XIII as a member.

You'll have a fair chance to partner up with all of the characters throughout the game, but the game has a fairly unique playability ethic. After a certain point in the game, you'll unlock a secondary mode that is known as the Mission Mode of the game, which will give you a well rounded game for long sessions and short ones alike. To relate, the game has some missions in story mode that can take you up to an hour to complete, whereas most of the missions in Mission mode are total failures if you take much more than about four minutes. The short version of this ramble is that it gives you something that you can sit and play for hours on end, or that you can play for a quick bout during your lunch break at school.

The graphics and sound in the game certainly excel in the unique way that most games that Square Enix makes do. It almost feels like you're playing a full console game when you're staring this tiny screen, which is saying quite a lot when you're half blind to begin with. Still, there's enough detail put into the variety of visuals, and enough rotation of the musical tracks to keep you from getting too bored with it. You'll only see a few locales from the total of the Kingdom Hearts universe, but you'll always be breaking into new parts of them and performing new tasks, up until near the end of the game.

In terms of replay value, it's more than dependant on you. I find it quite enjoyable to go through and perfect everything, but there's a serious gripe in the playability department, from two angles. If you're one of those people who likes to set their own camera angle at all times, you're not going to enjoy this camera scheme at all. It's reliant either upon buton combinations or your ability to get to the touch screen, which is just fine until you're in the midst of a hard fight and can't get to either. The other gripe is the equipment system. It feels a lot like the puzzle edition of Tetris; skills, equipment, and even level ups are part of this system, and you'll spend quite a lot of time adjusting things to fit if you want your favorite equipment, level up, and skills. I'm sorry to say that it eventually ticked me off so much that I equipped the Casual Gear and just poured Level Ups into my extra slots, finding no easy way to slide the endless stream of useful items that I come across into the scheme.

So, to help wrap this up, I'm going to throw you the classical "Good, Bad, Puzzling" rundown.

Good - The game has almost flawless control transition from the console games to the DS for almost any and all situations. You'll find yourself adjusting almost immediately if you live on the console games.

Good - There's a bonus that you can get in the original release of the first Kingdom Hearts that finally gets fleshed out, and being able to play as every single organization and side character in Mission Mode is a definite plus.

Bad  - The camera control! I think people who can find better ways of holding their DS won't struggle with it, but I usually give it about 20 minutes before I go to bed.

Bad  - The intense amount of detail applied to everything left very little actually involved. I count less than ten worlds, though I won't give you the actual number. Not to mention, some characters you expect to see, you won't.

Bad  - The man who voiced Mickey Mouse died somewhere during development. Sorry, but I thought you might like to know.

Puzzling - Why do we have to have a sort of puzzle just to improve our character?

In the end, I'd say to get this game if you enjoy the console Kingdom Hearts games, or if you want a solid platformer. Don't buy it if you haven't, at the very least, grown up with the original Walt Disney classics, or if you can't play the Legend of Zelda without going crazy.

My final rating is a 9 of 10. Way to go to set the bar yet again, Square-Enix.

That being posted, I'd like to note two things here. First off, future reviews meant for FTR, whether or not they reach FTR itself, will not have such a terrible format when they're posted. Truly, tacky as crap and hard to follow. Second, it's missing a section that was already supposed to be there from the get go, so let's just go ahead and do that now, yeah?:

Why your inner fur will love it!

Disney is one of the modern roots of the Furry Fandom. If interacting with a myriad of colorful creatures and animals doesn't tickle your furry side, then you've clearly never tried to fly strictly by thinking happy thoughts, have you? Sarcasm aside, truly, the cartoon antics of Disney have made people laugh and weep for generations, and I almost guarantee that, somewhere between Roxas' plight in trying to discover what emotions and a heart are and Abu dashing at the sight of you, your inner fur will rejoice with pure satisfaction.

I'mma end this now. Sorry for the terrible format, won't happen ever again. The next review has already been written; it's due in eight days, one way or another. (Well, to most of FT, not strictly to me or our Poderator.)
  • Flag - turing
  • Award - Beta Tester
Isn't this where...?

Offline Izzy

• Green Level
  • Cookies: 33
  • Meep~!
    • FurAffinity - Squawk
  • Fursona Species: Deinonychus
Re: Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days (9/10)
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 06:09:30 pm »
Ah! I bought this game a while ago, I used to be a huge Kingdom Heart's fan, still am a fan, but not as much. The game was nice I guess, liked how the combo's could be changed with different weapons, so the combat wasn't all too repetitive if you changed weapons every once in a while, the fact how you customized your characters stats/abilities was nice. Also with each character having their own weapons, skills/specialties. I agree with the controls being quite nice, they were well transitioned in, the magic system was somewhat okay, that way it was somewhat more useful actually in this game unlike the Ps2 counterparts, where the only thing you really used mp for was cure spells. I loved interacting with the characters and such, especially getting to delve deeper into the organization members actual personalities and such. It amuses me... The game was nice, but still I felt there were a bunch of things unanswered, sure they answered somethings, but not everything... I'd probably give the game for a handheld... a 8/10? My format was horrible for this post, just a rantish review on it, with no desire to organize.
  • Award - Beta Tester

Offline lucien

• i sold my hands for food
  • Purple Level
  • Cookies: 204
  • so please feed me.
    • DeviantArt - m0rtuum
    • FurAffinity - spazzeh
    • Twitter - onlygxdforgives
  • Fursona Species: african lion
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 06:54:44 pm »
I'm currently playing it. I loved the first two games (the second more than the first, but that's beyond the point) but I found this game hella boring. I'm on, like, day 15? I already wanna give up. It definitely lacks the fun spark of the first two.
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: he/him

Offline Izzy

• Green Level
  • Meep~!
    • FurAffinity - Squawk
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 06:56:26 pm »
The beginning is quite boring, but once you start getting to like the 100's in terms of days it gets fun, and don't worry, you don't go through every single day, infact it skips like to 100 basically once your at like 20 or something? I liked it, was boring playing as Sora... If anything I liked Roxas a lot more and kind of why I liked this game more, also since I played Chain of Memories for the GBA, it kind of sparked my interest, Namine is another favorite, I tend to like the nobodies more than the actual non-nobody characters. In most games I can usually sympathize easily with the antagonists X3, don't know why... Funny enough Larxene was my favorite member of Organization XIII, from the moment I first saw her in Chain of Memories and has been my favorite ever since.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 06:59:04 pm by Squawk »
  • Award - Beta Tester

Offline Hale Laocon

• Blue Level
  • Cookies: 84
    • FurAffinity - halelaocon
  • Fursona Species: Dog (Germ. Shep)
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 04:48:12 pm »
Does this game have the same kick-ass music as in KH2?

(Btw can't wait for Birth By Sleep; Zack of FF7 fame's gonna make a cameo)
  • Award - Beta Tester
Message me if you wanna play the new exo zombies on xbox one :3

Offline Izzy

• Green Level
  • Meep~!
    • FurAffinity - Squawk
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 08:06:24 pm »
Yah it has the music in KH2 and in KH1, has areas from both places, although unfortunately doesn't really have anywhere new... but then again it's a prologue, it does have new music though as well as the old ones, amazing kick-ass music. As all KH games do.

And yah Birth By Sleep, can't wait... too bad I don't have the proper system. Yah the game looks amazing, unlike KH: 358/2 Days, it's not just a remaking of all the old things, where just explaining a new story and everything, BBS has like it's new places/etc, seems amazing, plus the new spells/fighting style is more amazing, crazy if anything :D
  • Award - Beta Tester

Offline copb.phoenix

• So long and goodnight
  • Purple Level
  • Cookies: 115
    • FurAffinity - copb_phoenix
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2009, 08:25:55 pm »
Hmmm.... This covers, approximately, from when Sora becomes a heartless in the first game to when the prologue to KH2 starts. It's played through as Roxas and the Nobodies.

Gotta' love (almost) spoiler free reviews.
  • Flag - turing
  • Award - Beta Tester
Isn't this where...?