Author Topic: Review: Avatar (what did you make of the movie?)  (Read 4165 times)

Offline Cat Jordan

• Warning...acting dangerously might cause side effects such as thrill and increasing sense of happiness.
  • Red Level
  • Candies: 3
  • I hate clowns! They eat kittens! D:
Review: Avatar (what did you make of the movie?)
« on: December 20, 2009, 05:41:44 pm »
Allright so i just came back from watching the "Avatar" movie...

In my honest opinion at first it looked like it would be just another dumb action movie...Needless to say i was wrong.

What starts off looking like a 3 star movie soon developes into an eye-opening 5 star movie...
I mean wow, the stunning display of efects and scenery was simply amazing...providing backgrounds and creatures unlike ive ever seen.

Going beyond sci-fi and crossing into the borderlines of the fantasy genre is Avatar to which i give 5 stars...

So yeah...whats your take on it?

-Jordan

Offline AK

• Blue Level
  • Candies: 95
  • I need a fix, cos' I'm going down
Re: Review: Avatar (what did you make of the movie?)
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 05:46:16 pm »
The special effects were cool.

But the plot was heavy handed and one dimensional. It didn't make me think or get me involved in the characters.

Essentially, it was Fern Gully IN SPAAAAAAAACE!
Does anybody really know what time it is? Does anybody really care?

Ron Paul in 2012

Offline Tigneon

• Boop.
  • Red Level
  • Candies: 4
  • ... Are you...?
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 12:03:05 pm »
But the plot was heavy handed and one dimensional. It didn't make me think or get me involved in the characters.

I disagree. I felt somewhat connected with the greater majority of important characters. James Cameron created to moon of Pandora quite well, so much that the moon seems feasible. The amount of work that went into every detail from the metal of the aircraft to the blades of grass. Apparently, he hired linguists to work on a new language and a botanist for the creation of plants, which both contribute to this planet being plausible. 

In my opinion, I thought it was one of the best movies I have ever seen. The plot was "one dimensional," but still well crafted. Avatar had the action and effects to be considered an action title, but it also had romance and drama. This movie was truly appealing and I'd highly recommend it over anything else out there right now. A good 5 star rating.
Yep.

Offline AK

• Blue Level
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 09:17:22 pm »
See, my major complaint is that they put so much into everything but then settled for the same tired Guilty White Man/Noble Savage plot we've all seen a thousand times.

It would have been much more interesting had the Na'vi actually been shown to have a few serious flaws of their own, or if the Humans actually won and forced you to think of the implications and consequences of that.

It almost struck me like they ran out of money before it came time to develop the plot, so they lifted it from Dances with Wolves and Fern Gully.

Ron Paul in 2012

Offline Tigneon

• Boop.
  • Red Level
  • Candies: 4
  • ... Are you...?
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 01:41:45 am »
See, my major complaint is that they put so much into everything but then settled for the same tired Guilty White Man/Noble Savage plot we've all seen a thousand times.

It would have been much more interesting had the Na'vi actually been shown to have a few serious flaws of their own, or if the Humans actually won and forced you to think of the implications and consequences of that.

It almost struck me like they ran out of money before it came time to develop the plot, so they lifted it from Dances with Wolves and Fern Gully.

And that soon becomes a key to business: take a simple concept and build upon it. The story changes, but the moral remains the same. That statement can be said about a vast majority of movies out there, but some are better at making that concept harder to see. Lets compare this with Lord of the Flies. Anyone who has read behind the text of this novel will tell you that the book had the same statement as this movie: "Man is inherently evil." Equally, The Time Traveller book and movie also says that man will destroy themselves. While Avatar made the plot moral obvious, they made up for it by developing other points of the movie such as making Pandora somewhat plausible (in a sense), which is where most sci-fi movies fail (Star Wars is one of the best examples of this). $300+ million only takes you so far, but this was planned out. It comes to a matter of how you view the movie: do you watch for effects and the art form, the development of the plot, or the message?

In other news...

According to an interview with James Cameron, there could be a sequel...? In an interview by Rotten Tomatoes, 20th Century Fox allowed him to have such an extensive budget so "he wouldn't have to remake all the effects over again for future movies." That may just be the way I interpreted it, but it sounds like it could work. If there is/was a sequel, I would be more than willing to see it.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 01:45:52 am by Tigneon »
Yep.

Offline Chopin

• Green Level
  • Candies: 18
  • We're the Last in Line!
    • FurAffinity - chopin
  • Fursona Species: White Tiger/Dragon
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 02:27:22 am »
I enjoyed it a lot. I'm trying to drag more friends to go see it again, especially the skeptical ones. Yes, the same moral's been done before, but, how often do you get an original message behind the story nowadays?

And I thought the effects were nearly flawless. Yes, there were times where it looked too clean & shiny to be real, but, overall, they were very believable. Frankly, I'm putting it with LOTR on effects use, because I thought they were that good.
"You've got your stairs to Heaven, you may be right.  I only know in my world, I hate the light, I speed at night!"
-Dio, I Speed At Night

Offline AK

• Blue Level
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 02:34:57 am »
It's not so much the moral that bothers me.

The moral is fine, there are only so many of them.

But it was delivered in a hamfisted fashion the exact same way as many other movies have already.

The most apt comparisons are Dances with Wolve only...BLUE INJUNS THIS TIME or FERN GULLY IN SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE.

Is it really so much to ask for a new delivery, or at least adding new quirks and angles?

I enjoyed it, but I was able to predict every single thing that would happen next, even though the boot leg I watched (don't worry, plan to go pay to see it in 3D for the awesome effects still) had all the alien language sub titled in Russian.

We've all seen this movie a thousand times, and it disappointed me that they'd spend all this time, effort, and money developing the setting and then fall back on the exact same plot that's been popping up in fiction since the 1800's.

Ron Paul in 2012

Offline Acrisuis

• Green Level
  • Candies: 22
  • SOMEONE needs to love insects....
    • DeviantArt - Pocket-fulla-shells
  • Fursona Species: Insect thing
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2009, 09:05:59 am »
Personally, I think AK is focusing a little too much on origionality - If you break down any movie, you'll see that there's no such thing as an origional movie. It all takes plot and idea references from somewhere, and I don't believe there is truely such thing as a totally fresh idea.

As long as the movie doesn't seem like a total rip off (Which Avatar wasn't - it had it's similarites and paralells, sure, but it could have been a lot worse when it comes to taking ideas from other movies) Then I really don't care how origional it is when I first see a movie

Offline Sulphur

• Green Level
  • Candies: 27
    • DeviantArt - SulphurTea
    • FurAffinity - Sulphuric
    • LiveJournal - SulphurTea
    • Twitter - Sulphurtea
  • Fursona Species: Spotted Hyena
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2009, 05:49:15 pm »
I just went to see it and I'm gonna have to second what AK said. I honestly was not surprised by a single thing in it, it was bleeding cliches. I mean yeah, the morals nice and I agree with it and all but... CHRIST. I'm sick and tired of it Dx That and they went with the whole black and white characters... there were the good guys and there were the bad guys but of course no one in between. That and the na'vi were completely flawless and the humans (aside from the good guys, of course) had no qualities that weren't flaws. No one's perfect and no one's truly evil. Black and white doesn't exist, only shades of grey, blahblahblah, you get the idea.

Offline Schism

• Blue Level
  • Candies: 82
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2009, 09:48:45 pm »
I thought it was great...the visuals were pretty stunning. Though, I'm not gonna criticize it. I didn't expect any originality, there WERE a lot of cliches. But, overall, it's definitely a great movie. 

Offline Chopin

• Green Level
  • We're the Last in Line!
    • FurAffinity - chopin
  • Fursona Species: White Tiger/Dragon
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2009, 03:48:47 pm »
I thought it was great...the visuals were pretty stunning. Though, I'm not gonna criticize it. I didn't expect any originality, there WERE a lot of cliches. But, overall, it's definitely a great movie. 
I have to agree. You wouldn't go see it for the story, you would see it for the amazing visuals. Would you go see a romance for the action scenes? It's the same concept, at least to me.
"You've got your stairs to Heaven, you may be right.  I only know in my world, I hate the light, I speed at night!"
-Dio, I Speed At Night

Offline Varlen

• So Amaze, Such
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 103
  • FTS RESODENT WIERDO SMILE DOOER.
  • Fursona Species: El Skunko!
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2010, 02:31:10 pm »
There is no Avatar thread. Why is there no avatar thread? This shall be fixed.

*ahem*

When I first saw ads for this film, I was a bit off put by it. To me, it looked like it would be another 'appeal to the masses, ignore common sense, more CGI!' - and I really hate those films. Films like Stealth, and others that I don't even bother to remember they're so crappy. Blagh!

But, I was roped into seeing it with my dad, in 3d no less. I don't really like 3d movies either, ever since I saw 'Honey I Shrunk the Audience' in Disneyland, Florida. Why does the dog have to sneeze on me? That aint cool. At all. Damnit.

Anyway - I went to see Avatar all the same, only to discover that the monster of a movie is 3 Hours and 10 Minuites long. It's like a goddamn marathon - I was in that sweaty chair and sticky floor so long my ass, then even my legs went numb. I hate numbum. It's so wierd.

The film starts oddly, the storyline jumps to and fro the past and present without much warning, and it took me a while to figure it all out. The essential plot line (no spoilers, don't worry) is that people make replica bodies of these alien cat mofo's what live on a world called Pandora, because they want a mineral called Unobtanium (haha, what a brilliant name for something. Unobtanium. x3) and then transport a humans consciousness into these replica aliens called 'Avatars' (hence the name of the movie). The aliens live on Pandora, which for the most part is basically the Amazon Rainforest with alien bits thrown in for good measure. Freaky six limbed horses and hammer-head rhinosaurs. And dragons. Yeah, dragons. Shwing!

The entire movie is CGI, near enough. But unlike other science fictions the air on Pandora isn't breathable - it's poisonous to human life, so people need gas-masks and air supplies to breathe, which I thought was a nice touch. The quality of the CGI is just... incredible!. I've never seen anything like it, and I like to think myself up-to-date on the state of CGI rendering quality. The aliens are eight feet tall and blue, weird cat-like monsters, and the humans wonder around in drop-ships and mechanized robots (That have an up-scaled combat knife the size of a person. Which is just AWESOME)

I don't want to ruin the (longest) storyline (ever conceived) but it's not in-your-face incredible. There are no unforeseeable twists or turns in the plot line, no real character exploration that pushes the boundaries of story telling, but the graphics alone left me in awe. It's difficult to express just how well they made Pandora look real, how impressive the 3d effects were - for the most expensive Holywood movie ever made, it definitely shows. Hell, they needed alot of blue paint for those cats. They were big!

I don't often rate a film for anything other than storyline, but Avatar was something else. The storyline wasn't dreadful, but it wasn't brilliant either - but the graphics and the thought put into making Pandora seem real, and to bring the whole thing to life was seriously impressive - one part of the movie there's a crapheap of flies, and with the 3d and the insane quality of the CGI, I was swatting away at them, thinking they were real. The quality, use of and general amazingness of the CGI is comparable to first seeing the bullet-time scene in the Matrix, it honestly left me thinking "... Wow. Just wow". If this doesn't raise the bar, then I'm not sure what will.

It's also a little furry-esque, what, with the giant blue cats and stuff. Alot of purple nipples for a 12A rated film, and there's a sex scene (you don't see anything. Just alot of wriggling). I would have expected a higher age certificate, but there you go.

I definitely recommend you go and see this movie - especially in 3d. The effects and the visual factor of the movie are second to none, a handful of good sequels and we might have another sci-fi fandom starting up.
  • Flag - banana
  • Award - Beta Tester
Var's Vid of the Week:
Week 13, AK Underwater. If you have any suggestions for the Vid of the Week, pm me! ^.^

Offline AK

• Blue Level
Re: Avatar. <3
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2010, 02:56:37 pm »
More or less what I thought. Story was MEH, special effects were OMGWTFBBQ

Ron Paul in 2012

Offline Yarn

• Yellow Level
  • Candies: 31
    • FurAffinity - Yarn
  • Fursona Species: Mutt?
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2010, 02:58:51 pm »
I completely agree with what you said, great CGI, but I wanted to know a little background of that scientist chick and the other scientists and what company wanted that rock.

Offline AK

• Blue Level
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2010, 03:15:16 pm »
I completely agree with what you said, great CGI, but I wanted to know a little background of that scientist chick and the other scientists and what company wanted that rock.
There are a few tie in books out already, and I think you can find the original script on the internet.

Be warned though, I've read parts of it and it'll make you really disappointed with all the changes they made for the final product. It was a much smarter movie before they edited it down.

Ron Paul in 2012

Offline Acrisuis

• Green Level
  • Candies: 22
  • SOMEONE needs to love insects....
    • DeviantArt - Pocket-fulla-shells
  • Fursona Species: Insect thing
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2010, 04:19:01 pm »
I think the story's weakness was it's predictability. The story was solid, but nothing great, but by the time the final battle came, I really didn't care. Perhaps the best movie battle I've ever seen before (and perhaps the battle in Gondor in LOTR - Return of the king)

Offline Varlen

• So Amaze, Such
  • Blue Level
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2010, 05:17:12 pm »
(and perhaps the battle in Gondor in LOTR - Return of the king)

That would be the battle of Palenor Field =3. And yes, I agree with the predictability thing. A nice twist would have been good, and I reckon AK's about right with his whole 'unedited storyline' comment. *shrugs* Oh well. Still kicked my ass watching it though.
  • Flag - banana
  • Award - Beta Tester
Var's Vid of the Week:
Week 13, AK Underwater. If you have any suggestions for the Vid of the Week, pm me! ^.^

Offline Schism

• Blue Level
  • Candies: 82
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2010, 06:33:50 pm »
http://www.furryteens.org/forum/index.php?topic=6451.0

Isn't this the Avatar thread?

Anyway, this was an amazing movie, I loved it. I don't wanna repeat what everyone else said, because I thought the exact same way as you guys.

Offline Varlen

• So Amaze, Such
  • Blue Level
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2010, 06:41:36 pm »
Ah, apparently so. I'd merge them, but I have no power here. *messages appropriate mod*
  • Flag - banana
  • Award - Beta Tester
Var's Vid of the Week:

Offline Kennedi

• Playin' games
  • Yellow Level
  • since twenty ohh-eight.
    • DeviantArt - PogoMutt
  • Fursona Species: Goat/Dog Hybrid
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2010, 07:36:25 pm »
In the previews I failed to see a plotline because it said very little about the struggle between the...whatever they were called. Ze bloo pplz. And the military from Earth. But when I went to see the movie with the fam, it was pretty good. I was surprised actually, that it wasn't just some dude running around as a giant blue dude having pointless--mindless, at that--adventures. No, it actually had a story. o_o And I liked that story. It was sad. It was funny. And in that sense it was like some sci-fi version of Marley And Me, which is also sad and funny. o3o
Hey, she finally got around to fixing up a furcode!
(...BAZINGA.)