Author Topic: Weather Tolerance  (Read 509 times)

Offline Hieroglyph

• Vilous Nerd
  • Purple Level
  • Cookies: 160
  • Lover of snow, daydreaming, and languages
  • Fursona Species: Artificially-created creature/monster
Weather Tolerance
« on: June 05, 2016, 11:31:47 pm »
I was thinking about weather tolerance recently. It's really cool how a person's geography can really effect what kind of temperature, weather, etc. they can function better in. And it also depends how long they've lived in a region and learned to better adapt to things.

Personally, I have really bad heat tolerance. I would never be able to live anywhere hot like Arizona or California, and even 70 degree (Fahrenheit) weather makes me want to stay inside all day (even though I do that all the time anyways). On the other hand, though, I have a very high cold tolerance. I have lived my whole life in western Washington, and I don't mind cold, dreary, rainy weather at all. I can walk around in 40 degree weather (or maybe even lower) without a coat or heavy clothing on. I heard from my science teacher that she used to live somewhere really warm, but as soon as she moved here, she was having trouble feeling comfortable in the cold, wet atmosphere, unlike the people around her who had already been living in it for years.

Either way, what temperatures/weather do you feel the most comfortable in, and in what kind of region were you raised in? What are your max degrees for both hot and cold can you withstand until you start to want to complain to someone? What kind of weather do you generally prefer?
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Award - Easter Egg Hunt gold
  • Award - Halloween Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - androsexual
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
  • Pronouns: Any (they/them preferred)
  • Award - Graphic Artist

[ Otherkin - Pescetarian - Agnostic ]
Icon by Alastair

Offline Echo(Damien)

• Seer
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 55
  • Canadian Milo Yiannopolous
    • DeviantArt - Deatox
    • FurAffinity - SeanFox
  • Fursona Species: Skunk
Re: Weather Tolerance
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2016, 11:39:00 pm »
I was born dead of winter in canada, I hate the cold, I hate snow, I hate ice and I hate the sun reflecting off the snow into my eyes. In summer I can wear up to four layers of clothing including a parka and be fine.And something we rarely get but I love is RAIIIIIN. When I see it raining it calms me down and I can let the depression wash away (no pun intended). Also alberta summers get into high 30°c which is near 120°F I think. So to put that into perspective, If you dumped me in the middle of the Israli desert with only a sweater, I could live during the day and would die an hour into the night.
  • Flag - canada
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His
I watch the clock tick-tock
Been saving all the green that I got
I can't wait to kick off my work shoes

Leave your love letters here!
Icon by me

Offline AussieDax

• Photographer, car nut, gamer, con goer and professional turn off and on againer
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 58
    • FurAffinity - animosus5
  • Fursona Species: Vaporeon
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 12:44:45 am »
I seem to have been broken when I was born. Lived in Western Australia for 20 years, where in summer it regularly gets over 40c(104F) for weeks on end and I absolutely cannot deal with it, yet whack me in snow in negative temps, where that absolutely doesn't happen in Western Australia and I can walk around in a t-shirt and shorts perfectly fine. Really don't understand why my body is like to be honest.

My friend from Oregon who moved here though adjusted to the weather in Australia really quickly and now finds temps below 15c very cold.
  • Flag - britain
Add me on telegram @aussiedax

I'm from Perth, Western Australia but now live in London UK!

Offline Ti'Nari

• Talking to angels and counting the stars
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 42
  • Making a wish on a passing car
  • Fursona Species: yes.
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016, 12:51:01 am »
this is actually something I love to talk about because not only is it location that can effect toleration but also skin tone cool, which is something i adore learning about. certain tones a can handle the colds better while others can handle the tropic and some the heat. It's all an amazing thing that's so much fun to study!

for me i would have to say that my tolerance would have to be in a wooded are with water and low or no humidity. I can stand tropical beaches too but i mostly stay in the woods/mountain range 
  • Pronouns: they/theirs/them

Offline Lumix

• Wish you could save this place
  • Orange Level
  • Cookies: 23
  • The way you save your face
  • Fursona Species: Grey Wolf
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2016, 02:31:05 am »
Also alberta summers get into high 30°c which is near 120°F I think.
30°C is 86°F :fox-;):

Yesterday the temperature was 23°C and I could not bear it one bit. I was outside for four hours straight helping out at a charity event I n direct sunlight without a hat or sun cream on but so were others and they didn't seem overly affected like me (granted, I was probably moving around more than them). I actually got mild heatstroke and had to go lay down when I got home :(
Growing up in Minnesota where temperatures can go as low as -30°C I am much more comfortable in the cold because you can always put on another layer. Heat and humidity is what kills me :fox-:P:
P

Offline MysticSolstice

• <3
  • Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 878
  • Love is love
    • FurAffinity - MysticSolstice
    • Twitter - MysticSolstice
  • Fursona Species: Fairy-Dragon-Wolf hybrid
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2016, 09:39:18 am »
I was born dead of winter in canada, I hate the cold, I hate snow, I hate ice and I hate the sun reflecting off the snow into my eyes.
Same. I hate the cold and have like zero tolerance for it :fox-:P: I can't stand going outside in the winter because I get cold immediately even with winter coats and stuff. However I'm completely fine in summer, the tempatures doesn't matter as long as I'm hydrated
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - lesbian
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
  • Award - Graphic Artist

Offline Alva

• Wero
  • Blue Level
  • Cookies: 143
  • Will give internet points for PC parts
  • Fursona Species: Coyote
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2019, 11:51:50 pm »
Any temperature below 55° F is uncomfortable but tolerable for me, and temperatures below 10° F are where I stay indoors as much as possible.  On a warm, humid, Tennessee day, I can handle up to 85° F easily, and up to 95° F when windy.  Anything above 95° F with the humidity here is insufferable.  Out in the desert I can handle up to 110° F.
  • Flag - usa
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
----------------

----------------

Offline batty ♡

• FT's local pink bat
  • Sitewide Moderator
  • Cookies: 194
  • Happy pride month owo
    • DeviantArt - heartsickdreams
    • FurAffinity - shybattie
    • Twitter - heartsickdreams
  • Fursona Species: leaf-nosed bat
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2019, 12:54:12 am »
45-55 F is fine, and I can't stand anything above 80 f. I'm not built for harsh conditions >:U
  • Flag - usa
  • Award - Easter Egg Hunt silver
  • Award - Halloween Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - bisexual
  • Pronouns: they/them/their or she/her
  • Award - Graphic Artist

Offline Lavandia~☆

• High five, low five, all that.
  • Cookies: 174
  • ☆ Harukandora no Majutsushi ☆
    • AskFM
  • Fursona Species: Halcandran
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2019, 10:24:02 am »
I love the cold, and have an extremely high tolerance for it. 55-30 is comfortable for me. I can handle down to about 25, but that's when I'll start to get uncomfortable. I also like putting my head in the freezer in the summer because that's the only way I can get to the cold, I'm weird.

I can *tolerate* up to about 73 or so, but I won't be remotely happy about it. Anything above 62 starts to get too warm for me. I have a very very low heat tolerance, even mild warm spring weather isn't cold enough, lol.
  • Flag - usa
  • Pride Flag - demigirl
  • Pride Flag - demisexual
  • Pronouns: She/her/he/him
:rose:xxx - dA - xxxxxxxx - AMA - xxx:rose:

Like my signature? Get your own here!

Offline Sugar

• Let the voice of love
  • Purple Level
  • Cookies: 205
  • take you higher!
    • DeviantArt - swervemeister
    • Twitter - swervemeister
  • Awards:
    Flag - xmaslight
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2019, 11:08:20 am »
I live in Georgia, where the weather can be in the 100s, or below freezing, so I can tolerate extremely high heat and some cold. I definitely prefer cold over hot, though, as summers are usually humid, not just hot. Humidity is the worst. 95 degree days are normal for me, as long as the year aren’t humid too.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 11:10:44 am by Sugar »
  • Award - Easter Egg Hunt silver
  • Pronouns: she/her/hers

THE TASTE OF A LIAR

Offline Serana

• Resident Seer
  • Cookies: 340
  • In the moon I see everything!
    • DeviantArt - WolfGodess12
    • FurAffinity - SnowFeline
    • Twitter - SnowFelineArts
    • Weasyl - SnowFeline
  • Fursona Species: Vampiric Raven/Snow Leopard
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2019, 02:31:58 pm »
I'm pretty tolerant of colder temps, being the most comfortable between 60-70, but I can tolerate the 20s-50s just fine(just not inside my own home ^^")
Single digits and negatives are a little less tolerated but your not suppose to be outside at that point anyway so that tolerance is normal XD
I have little to no heat tolerance though, I live in Michigan and always lived near one of the lakes so it's rare when it gets in the 90s. Anything over 75 is just too hot for me, e its worse when its humid xux
  • Flag - usa
  • Award - Easter Egg Hunt participant
  • Pride Flag - demisexual
  • Pride Flag - nonbinary
  • Pronouns: She/They but fem. terms preferred

Proud Otherkin and slightly ashamed Fictionkin
Don't take things I say very seriously, I tend to joke around.
Icon by Me

|Twitter / ToyHou.se / FurAffinity / ThisCrush / Public Queue|

Offline Igni Nightshade

• Profile picture made by Viper_Quimby.
  • Red Level
  • Cookies: 4
  • Feel free to PM me if you want to talk to someone!
    • FurAffinity - Igni_Nightshade72
  • Fursona Species: Fennec fox
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2019, 03:27:28 pm »
I grew up in Arkansas and moved to Wisconsin about 3-and-a-half years ago. It's hot all the time in Arkansas. One time, snow just started falling and we were immediately allowed to go home.  :lol-fox:
I always hated the hot, dry weather there. After about a year or 2 in Wisconsin, I could go out in 30-degree (Fahrenheit) weather in short sleeves and I'd be fine. I look around at other people that have lived here their whole lives wearing heavy coats while I'm wearing short sleeves. Sadly though, I can barely stand 60-degree (Fahrenheit) weather.
I have extreme cold tolerance and extremely low heat tolerance!
 :lol-fox: :lol-fox: :lol-fox:
  • Flag - usa
  • Pride Flag - homoflexible

Offline Josef Wolf

• Red Level
  • Cookies: 6
  • Fursona Species: Wolf
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2019, 05:04:52 pm »
Bein from the south end of Tennessee I've seen snow tho not a lot
Still gets really hot in the summer but the bad part is the humidity, 100F is my hot limit or so in humid weather or around 110F in dry times
The coldest I can handle for extended time is around 0F or -5F tho I haven't been in places where it's been that cold regularly since I was just a baby when I last was in <-10F temperatures so I don't know much of 'em
  • Flag - usa
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
Freedom should be for everyone
Say, you wanna conversate? PM me
Say, it's worth noting that the suicide hotline in the US is at  1-800-273-8255 Call it if you need it cause we need you