• The Defender
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 62
  • :D
    • FurAffinity - HaddockWolf
  • Fursona Species: Dracocatwolf, Illogical Tribrid from another dimension
*cries
« on: January 20, 2010, 03:10:38 pm »
So, my mom's computer needed a new processor. We got one that matched the socket, but unfortunately the mother board was too old to support it, so we bought a new motherboard. The new mother board didn't fit in the case, so we bought a new case. The power supply wires didn't reach the mother board in this new computer, so we got extension cables. We got everything hooked up and ready, and I hit the power button and....... Nothing. not a single noise, no fans, no wrrrr from the HD, not a sound. Where did we go so wrong?? Thinking of taking it to Bestbuy, but it costs 70$ just to diagnose, and more later.
"In the end we will not remember the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." -Dr. MLK Jr.
Every person is born a white canvas, and each person we touch, each person we talk to, they impart a shade of their color upon you. and these mixes of colors blend into a unique shade that is you - Alexander (me)

Offline Daniel A. Skirtandzy

• Purple Level
  • Candies: 162
    • FurAffinity - Skirtandzy1
    • LiveJournal - Skirtandzy
    • Twitter - Skirtandzy
  • Fursona Species: Domestic Cat
Re: *cries
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 03:40:36 pm »
Ouch... hopefully it is something they can fix cheap and easy...
  • Flag - lawyer
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Site Donor

Offline copb.phoenix

• So long and goodnight
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 114
    • FurAffinity - copb_phoenix
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 04:15:38 pm »
If I was right there... But I am not.

I wish you luck, and a bit more than that. Anyone asking for more than $40 on the hour (+ parts) is not worth it. It's not hard to find people in that general area (which is why I can make so much at $20).
  • Flag - turing
  • Award - Beta Tester
Isn't this where...?

Offline Meadow Whisper (Natasha)

• ᎣᏏᏲ! I'm a horse now! ^.^
  • FT Founder
  • Candies: 397
    • DeviantArt - lupiniastudios
    • FurAffinity - softpaw
    • Twitter - lupinia
    • Weasyl - softpaw
    • Lupinia Studios
  • Fursona Species: Chincoteague Pony
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 04:33:50 pm »
Actually, this doesn't sound like a dead processor to me, it sounds like a dead motherboard, or a power issue.  A dead processor will usually still allow the motherboard to power on, it just won't POST.  And, if your motherboard was working, your CPU fan would turn on.  The bit about the internal extension cables concerns me, are you sure everything's hooked up right?  Does your video card have fans (most do, if it's not onboard video)?  Are they spinning when you power it on?

Anyone asking for more than $40 on the hour (+ parts) is not worth it.

I hate to get off topic, but my clients would disagree.  Hence why they prefer to hire me at $60/hour over anyone else charging less.  And there are people in this industry who charge staggering amounts beyond that.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 04:36:03 pm by Natasha Softpaw »
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Here is a horse I have made for you:
        |,\_/,\_
 ,-__/,   ,       )kk
.                     \,kkk
 \    ,___....--     \kkkk
           \               \kkkkk
             \               \kkkkk

Note:  I'm no longer actively involved in running this site, so while I welcome any personal messages, please do not contact me about account issues.  Please direct all such inquiries to Panda.  Thanks for all the years of awesome memories and friendship!  <3

Offline Lycaeus

• Yellow Level
  • Candies: 12
  • <purr></purr>
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 04:48:12 pm »
Some products DO come in DOA. It's unfortunate, and it happens, but most of the time the company you buy it from will handle it-- Even if you have to play S&H for another.

Or, at least, that's what my friends/people on Newegg say. Which, by the way, you should totally use to buy computer parts. 500GB HD for $50 is win.

Offline copb.phoenix

• So long and goodnight
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 114
    • FurAffinity - copb_phoenix
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 04:48:42 pm »
Anyone asking for more than $40 on the hour (+ parts) is not worth it.

I hate to get off topic, but my clients would disagree.  Hence why they prefer to hire me at $60/hour over anyone else charging less.  And there are people in this industry who charge staggering amounts beyond that.

I could go back and forth all day... It's a squibable point, but it doesn't sound like any hard analytical work is needed. A decent head and a bit of training - the sort you can get in high school level tech centers where I live - should be enough. Give it the curve that they're always telling you about and much more than $30 is really outrageous. Let's face it: we pretty much completely take advantage of the under experienced.

At any rate, I'm going to duck out of this argument and say "Trust Natasha, she's been at it longer than me." (You can almost hear the voice shouting "No contest!" right now.)
  • Flag - turing
  • Award - Beta Tester
Isn't this where...?

Offline Straitjacket

• The Crazies
  • Yellow Level
  • Candies: 29
    • LiveJournal - tribedragoony
    • Twitter - TribeTheBeast
  • Fursona Species: Beast (Tigerdemon / Dragon Hybrid)
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 06:51:38 pm »
Okey, I`m not the best at computers compared to others here, so don`t expect that what I write is going to be useful.

I`m wondering, can it have something to do with the BIOS chip, or the chip`s battery? You wont get a single reaction without that chip. There`s a big chance that I`m very wrong here (and would be nice if someone then can correct me), I`m still kind of fresh when it comes to stuff like this. But you should listen to the others first (since they know more than me).

A thought just striked me; why the heck am I answering a computer-problem in the middle of the night, when knowing that I`m not the kind of person that can keep it`s head focused enough to play an easy board game at this time? On the other hand, I`m getting off topic here now. I think I shall stop writing and go to bed instead. I wish you good luck with the computer.
I'm confused, oh wait, maybe I'm not.

Offline Meadow Whisper (Natasha)

• ᎣᏏᏲ! I'm a horse now! ^.^
  • FT Founder
  • Candies: 397
    • DeviantArt - lupiniastudios
    • FurAffinity - softpaw
    • Twitter - lupinia
    • Weasyl - softpaw
    • Lupinia Studios
  • Fursona Species: Chincoteague Pony
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 07:06:50 pm »
I`m wondering, can it have something to do with the BIOS chip, or the chip`s battery? You wont get a single reaction without that chip. There`s a big chance that I`m very wrong here (and would be nice if someone then can correct me), I`m still kind of fresh when it comes to stuff like this. But you should listen to the others first (since they know more than me).

Theoretically, BIOS failure would brick the whole system, but the chances of a dead BIOS on a new motherboard are practically zero.  As for the CMOS battery, the only thing that happens when it fails is that your PC won't remember what time it is.  And, it's something that simply doesn't happen on a new motherboard.
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Here is a horse I have made for you:
        |,\_/,\_
 ,-__/,   ,       )kk
.                     \,kkk
 \    ,___....--     \kkkk
           \               \kkkkk
             \               \kkkkk

Note:  I'm no longer actively involved in running this site, so while I welcome any personal messages, please do not contact me about account issues.  Please direct all such inquiries to Panda.  Thanks for all the years of awesome memories and friendship!  <3

Offline tibaltfox

• Orange Level
  • Candies: 21
  • TOFUMONKK
  • Fursona Species: Fox
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2010, 07:20:48 pm »
It could also be that your power supply is dead\fried, or perhaps the case has a bad switch. I had a friend who's computer didn't turn on, I feared it could be a fried mobo but I dug up an old ATX power supply and a new switch, popped em in, and the new thing ran fine.

So that's always a possibility.

Specs'd be helpful here - what type/voltage power supply, what make/model of motherboard, is said motherboard AT or ATX (take a look at the main power connector - AT has one row of pins for power, ATX has two. If you're unclear on what I'm talking about, check google images and compare), etc etc. Then maybe we can better diagnose your problem, see if there's anything wrong in terms of technicality, etc etc.

Also make sure everything's plugged in on the motherboard. And plugged in the right way. That sounds silly, but you'd be surprised. Aside from the main connector, there's also ones for fans, harddrives, etc etc.
Trust me. I'm a homosexual a bag of cheese a cult leader satan made of DIAMONDS a doctor a furry.

Behance! (Design and photography stuffs)
This FurAffinity account I never use! (which is generally horribly out of date, ahem)

Offline Alex Galloway

• The Defender
  • Blue Level
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2010, 07:36:08 pm »
305 watt, 5 year old, this is the case (I got it all on newegg)
and the processor did work, but the computer refused it. (it started but beeped, as dell computers do.) I couldn't test whether the motherboard worked or not, as the computer didn't run with the new processor, and the old one stopped working so.....
New specs:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811233058
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157165R
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115206
"In the end we will not remember the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." -Dr. MLK Jr.
Every person is born a white canvas, and each person we touch, each person we talk to, they impart a shade of their color upon you. and these mixes of colors blend into a unique shade that is you - Alexander (me)

Offline Straitjacket

• The Crazies
  • Yellow Level
  • Candies: 29
    • LiveJournal - tribedragoony
    • Twitter - TribeTheBeast
  • Fursona Species: Beast (Tigerdemon / Dragon Hybrid)
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2010, 09:32:36 am »

Theoretically, BIOS failure would brick the whole system, but the chances of a dead BIOS on a new motherboard are practically zero.  As for the CMOS battery, the only thing that happens when it fails is that your PC won't remember what time it is.  And, it's something that simply doesn't happen on a new motherboard.

*Facepaw* I forgot that the BIOS is on the motherboard. And that`s why I shouldn`t start problemsolving (especialy involving computers) in the middle of the night.
And thanks for correcting me, Natasha.
I'm confused, oh wait, maybe I'm not.

Offline Alex Galloway

• The Defender
  • Blue Level
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2010, 08:17:01 am »
Oh, I forgot about this -_-
The PSU had died during the transfer, and we replaced it with a 585 watt. Her computer runs fine now!
 :lock: