Author Topic: Tatsunoko vs. Capcom  (Read 868 times)

Offline Hale Laocon

• Blue Level
  • Candies: 83
    • FurAffinity - halelaocon
  • Fursona Species: Dog (Germ. Shep)
Tatsunoko vs. Capcom
« on: January 28, 2010, 09:36:05 am »
It's here, and how lovely! It's for the Wii! <3

...SCREW THE WII, WHY WASN'T IT FOR THE PS3

Anyway, seeing as I cannot own this game presently for lack of a WiiWii, I did  have some gametime with it and let me just say it's pretty good.
Tatsunoko vs. Capcom is a Wii-exclusive fighting game that's the seventh installment for the Vs. series (of notable Marvel vs. Capcom and Capcom vs. SNK fame, hurray for originality and innovation, Capcom!), which features fighters from the Capcom side and Tatsunoko side (Tatsunoko's a lesser known anime company which brought us shows like Samurai Pizza Cats, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Speed Racer X, and Casshern).
It features over 25 playable characters, with tag-style 2 on 2 gameplay, and it's notable for having a more simplified fighting system than its predecessors, taking in casual gamers as well. You can play in several modes, including a 4-player minigame run, and has support for online multiplayer as well.

Characters include:

• RYU from Street Fighter
  • CHUN-LI from Street Fighter II
  • ALEX from Street Fighter III
  • MORRIGAN from Darkstalkers
  • BATSU ICHIMONJI from Rival Schools: United by Fate
  • MEGAMAN from Megaman Legends
  • KAIJIN NO SOKI from Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams
  • ROLL from Megaman
  • SAKI OMOKANE from Quiz Nanairo Dreams
  • VIEWTIFUL JOE
  • PTX-40A from Lost Planet: Extreme Condition
  • Frank West from Dead Rising
  • Zero from Megaman X
  • KEN THE EAGLE from G-Force
  • JUN THE SWAN
  • JOE THE CONDOR
  • CASSHERN from Neo-Human Casshern
  • TEKKAMAN from Tekkaman: The Space Knight
  • YATTERMAN-1 from Yatterman
  • YATTERMAN-2
  • DORONJO
  • POLIMAR from Hurricane Polimar
  • KARAS
  • IPPATSUMAN from Gyakuten! Ippatsuman
  • GOLD LIGHTAN
  • TEKKAMAN BLADE

Seems pretty crafty, though I'm pretty sure nobody knows who the hell most of the Tatsunoko characters are. (I know I didn't) And it would've been fun to see an Eva as a part of the roster, or a 3-in-1 Samurai Pizza Cat union, but not today. Maybe next time :(

Overall the gameplay is fluid enough to mimic Marvel vs. Capcom 2's styles, with Aerial Raves and Chain Combos all over the place, as well as new innovations added like Baroque (sacrificing life to perform lengthier combinations), or in-air character swaps.

Graphics in the fighting itself were okay in my book, but the background looks so digitalized it's reminiscent of PS1 graphics after it got run over (at least in some stages).

Overall, a pretty exciting fighter, and unfortunately for me it's for the Wii. So cheers, Wiitards. You won this time. :(
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 10:03:51 am by Hale Laocon »
  • Award - Beta Tester
Message me if you wanna play the new exo zombies on xbox one :3

Offline copb.phoenix

• So long and goodnight
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 114
    • FurAffinity - copb_phoenix
Re: Tatsunoko vs. Capcom
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 09:44:38 am »
I win!

While I realize that a lot of the characters they've been promoting aren't familiar to many people, Tatsunoko is one of the most influential companies in anime. A lot of our modern styles are drawn from the works they've done over the years; you just can't deny the originals, whether or not they're weirder than ***.

@OP: A few questions, as it seems you actually did get to play it:
- Do we get our "special" team ups? Like, one of the VS games had Chun-li and Cammy having a few moves together if you teamed them up... is that still around?

- Can be haz anti-button mashing assurance? Of particular note, is it still a bad idea to mash low kick just because it's an infinite attack? ("HADOUKEN!" --> *screams*)

- If you've played SF4: Did they add in the final/ultimate attack system? I keep seeing the Dark Hadouken flying around, but is it an actual finals system or just an uber powerful move sort of deal?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 09:47:30 am by copb.phoenix »
  • Flag - turing
  • Award - Beta Tester
Isn't this where...?

Offline Hale Laocon

• Blue Level
  • Candies: 83
    • FurAffinity - halelaocon
  • Fursona Species: Dog (Germ. Shep)
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 09:56:16 am »
you just can't deny the originals, whether or not they're weirder than ***.

I love them! I draw furry fanart of their space suits over 9000 times

@OP: A few questions, as it seems you actually did get to play it:
- Do we get our "special" team ups? Like, one of the VS games had Chun-li and Cammy having a few moves together if you teamed them up... is that still around?

I think you mean a Variable Combination? This allows two team members to use a Hyper Combo at the same time

- Can be haz anti-button mashing assurance? Of particular note, is it still a bad idea to mash low kick just because it's an infinite attack? ("HADOUKEN!" --> *screams*)

You can't do that! The stun damage will push the opponent so it won't result in infinite. Unless you mean off-the-ground low kicks that you can juggle the opponent, which was evident in MvC2 but not here, at least I don't think so. I'll try it out next time I play

- If you've played SF4: Did they add in the final/ultimate attack system? I keep seeing the Dark Hadouken flying around, but is it an actual finals system or just an uber powerful move sort of deal?
Unlike SF4, there isn't. This is once again reminiscent to other MvC2 and SFA series, where characters have more than one ultimate move executable with different button sequences. Many characters have at least 3 at their use
  • Award - Beta Tester
Message me if you wanna play the new exo zombies on xbox one :3

Offline copb.phoenix

• So long and goodnight
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 114
    • FurAffinity - copb_phoenix
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 10:24:17 am »
I'm sorry; I just took some time to actually look at that list I linked earlier. AGH! No "Wired Lain"!... It seems that, while Tatsunoko was happy to give us some of the craziest memories from auld lang syne, they seem to have insisted that fan favorites, such as Lain, Video Girl Ai, and Samurai ~something or other~ were not worth trying. Someone in the top office neglected to tell them that only the diehard otaku will recognize the characters they picked to test the market with - they could have thrown in at least one piece of fan service.

I think you mean a Variable Combination? This allows two team members to use a Hyper Combo at the same time

Yes and no? A few pairings seemed to have special ones that worked rather well together... If I can dig up an example video on my lunch break, I'll edit or post it.

You can't do that! The stun damage will push the opponent so it won't result in infinite. Unless you mean off-the-ground low kicks that you can juggle the opponent, which was evident in MvC2 but not here, at least I don't think so. I'll try it out next time I play.

The problem I was referring to is partly that - actually, what you're talking about is similar to a disease seen with Star Fox characters in SSBB. The other half is that it gives you a sort of offensive turtle - back against the wall and spam a continuous attack... If newb boy doesn't know anything ranged, he's not coming anywhere near you. (If you can't tell, I hate mashers.)

... and, that last one is both awesome and depressing news. While it's nice that they've stayed by and large to their formula, I'm sorry to hear that they didn't use the fancy OMG A CUTSCENE WHILST I PWN?!? system they had going for them.... Still, this is VS, and it looks promising, in-between what you're telling me and what I've seen so far.
  • Flag - turing
  • Award - Beta Tester
Isn't this where...?

Offline a ghost

• Green Level
  • Candies: 78
  • oooo
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 03:08:11 pm »
MORRIGAN MORRIGAN MORRIGAN
THIS IS THE FIRST TIME DARKSTALKERS WILL BE IN 3D.
First time I heard about this, I still had my doubts about 3d morrigan, because they've NEVER updated her sprites since the first game came out.
I thought I was gonna fire up the wii all excited, choose Morrigan, and this would come up.

"Aww..."
  • Flag - wallpaper
  • Award - Beta Tester

Offline Wolf12

• Life is just a dream it's never ending.
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 29
  • I'm not okay I'm crazy!!!!!!!
    • FurAffinity - bangwolf
  • Fursona Species: Gray Wolf
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 09:18:44 pm »
I don't have a wii but now I want one! O-O if they make more games like this
All you base are belong to Wolf.
it's in the fine print.

my icon is done by Manicsfan.