Author Topic: Adopting from teh SPCA  (Read 1083 times)

Offline Simba Wula

• Blue Level
  • Cookies: -65493
Adopting from teh SPCA
« on: September 07, 2006, 04:36:14 am »
Well yesterday I got my pay check thingy from work and since they screwed up again I don't have enough to get my camera to start my show. So I am waiting till after the 20th now when I'll get enough. So I began thinking what I should spend the last little bit of this pay check on and last night my sister came up with a great idea "why don't you adopt a kitten or a puppy". After thinking about it for 2 hours I decided it is a good idea and it would make me happy and I could save a animal from the horror of the death needle.

So I went down and checked out someof the cats and kittens they have. But now I have a tough decision.... there is a Orange Tabby there called Phillip which is a male and only like a year and half old and he seems pretty kewl and I kinda like him. Or should I adopt a kitten and work from scratch and teach him or her everything they really need to know I guess. But I don't think I would have the time and patience to train the cat to use a litter box, remember their name, etc. Unless that is easy to do but I am not sure about it. So what do you guys think I should do? please be serious about this if you do reply since I want a honest opion or else I am just going to ignore you.

Offline Cenn

• Green Level
  • Cookies: 6
  • Now with 10% more mischief
Re: Adopting from teh SPCA
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2006, 04:43:27 am »
Well I used to have a bunch of kittens, and they're not that hard to train to use the litterbox.  I just showed them where it was and make sure thats the only good place to go.  in otherwords no fluffy rugs or other convienent places  to hide poo.  As to the name, just make sure you tell it to the kitten a lot and it should learn eventually.

Offline Okami

• Yellow Level
  • Cookies: 4
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2006, 06:49:58 am »
I've had a really bad experience adopting from a place like that (Toronto Humane Society). The problem isn't so much that they don't take care of the animals... it's more like they don't have the resources to take care of all the animals.

I once adopted a cat, within a month, she developed FIPS (which is terminal). She had to be put to sleep a week after. I had her for only a month and spent more than CAD$750 on vet bills and supplies before they could determine it was FIPS. The cause it seems was too much contact with diseased animals in the kennels(?) prior to adoption.

Bah... I want to get another pet but I'm extremely wary now.

Keep in mind that this was my own experience but I know of many people who never had a problem. I seriously don't know if I can go through something like that again for one month.

Anyway, in terms of training cats to use the litterbox and stuff... they generally do it on their own. Just make sure you select a good type of sand for them. Cats are pretty independent. Don't have to teach them much except give'em food, water, and love. ^_^
« Last Edit: September 07, 2006, 06:57:11 am by Okami »

Offline Commander A

• Purple Level
  • Cookies: 20
  • Örülök, hogy megismerhetem
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2006, 09:15:06 am »
I would have probabley spent it to adopt a collie or a sheltie..but thats just me.

Offline Cenn

• Green Level
  • Cookies: 6
  • Now with 10% more mischief
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2006, 01:35:59 pm »
I once adopted a cat, within a month, she developed FIPS (which is terminal). She had to be put to sleep a week after. I had her for only a month and spent more than CAD$750 on vet bills and supplies before they could determine it was FIPS. The cause it seems was too much contact with diseased animals in the kennels(?) prior to adoption.

Thats just wrong, they should really take care of thier animals.  You should pummel them with a dead animal like this lady did.  http://enews.earthlink.net/article/str?guid=20060906/44fe47c0_3ca6_15526200609061648198650

and no i'm not trying to make this sound funny and i apologise if it comes out that way.  But still, i'm sure she had her reasons.

Offline Commander A

• Purple Level
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2006, 01:49:47 pm »
....that is pretty wrong I have to admit. But reminds me of this guy sold people dead dogs from off the net. When they got them they were dead and he won the court case. Got to love how justice works.

Offline Simba Wula

• Blue Level
  • Cookies: -65493
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2006, 01:58:41 pm »
Well my family has never had problems with the SPCA we have gotten our dog Moxie from there when she is 2 and we think she has lived a great life with us before she leaves sometime later this year or early next year. And my sister got her fat cat named Sweetie from there about a year ago and she is doing great. My brother got a rabbit from there and had her for about a year before it ended up espacing into the wild and living there for some years. We know because we kept seeing her return once in awhile before running off again. Also my grandmother got her little dog from there named Karma(sp?) which was pretty energitic when she first got her but now she is slowing a bit down over the last couple years from age. There is about another 4 stories but I can't remember the details excatlly. So yea my family has never had problems with them as long as we do a bit of research about the selected animal before we adopt them which is what I am doing for the next couple days before I choose to get that cat Phillip or a Kitten.

Offline Lucien Odin Godsline

• Green Level
  • Cookies: 23
  • Music: The Voice Of The Soul
    • The Wandering Fox
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2006, 02:31:48 pm »
We've adopted a wonderful sheltie and two adorable cats from the SPCA, and had no problems. Meanwhile, my aunt spent over $700 on a purebred bassett hound for it to get diseases, need to be put on steroids, and it still isn't fully trained after 2 years. I recommend that everyone thinking of getting a pet adopts from the SPCA, as that's what it's there for. Plus, it's a lot less expensive then a pet store.

Good luck, Simba, and go for it!

Offline Flinch

• LOSER-MAGNET
  • Blue Level
  • Cookies: 683
  • I'm just default awesome
    • The Ferret's Den
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2006, 03:31:40 pm »
To tell the truth, I've had more success with adopting adult cats. Claude, my current cat, is one of the first kittens I've evr adopted, and he is great, but when you adopt an adult cat they're already fully developed, so you have a better idea of what their personality is going to be like for the rest of their life. Also, adult cats are surprisingly easy to train. My cat Bender was an adult cat I adopted and he was easily trained not to jump onto counters and how to behave properly. I also taught him how to sit up and beg. And if you get the right adult cat they will bond with you just as a kitten would. I got my cat Icky when he was already 4 years old, and he was the sweetest smartest cat I ever knew.
President: "I just don't get kids, remind me to sign that abortion bill!"

Offline Commander A

• Purple Level
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2006, 05:12:08 pm »
You have a Sheltie Lucien *is so envious* But actually if you ever met my dogs. Pure breds....best dogs you'd ever have...so friendly and what not. Anyway hope you make the right choice simba...take pictures of the new critter and post it. ^_^