Author Topic: American Gods  (Read 498 times)

Offline AK

• Blue Level
  • Candies: 95
  • I need a fix, cos' I'm going down
American Gods
« on: February 16, 2010, 08:47:14 pm »
It's a novel by Neil Geiman that examines the interplay of Americana and mythology, the way things change over time, and the general idea that people are fluid and tend to change.

It follows a man as he struggles to find meaning or direction in life as he is embroiled in the affairs of old, dying gods and how they get by day to day.

I'd definitely recommend it. It's a fairly deep book, but it's got a good story and is written in a way that should make it easy for anyone to pick up and read; even if you aren't usually a fan of heavier literature.

5/5
Does anybody really know what time it is? Does anybody really care?

Ron Paul in 2012

Offline Mertiwillow

• Always wanting to learn more
  • Orange Level
  • Candies: 4
  • \/\/hatever you say...
    • My game's "In The Making" site, Redwall Online.
Re: American Gods
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 12:55:46 am »
Uhm thats a LOT of big wo-

Kidding

Ill probably check the book out. I go to the library/bookstore every week to get a book. Ill try to find that one, sounds cool. Right now Im finishing up The Stand, then I have two other books to read for class. The Red Kayak and Three Cups of Tea. I swear these teachers think were idiots. They should give us a really big book. I havent had a big book to read in class since The Diary of Anne Frank...and that was in 8th grade. Actually last year we read Huckleberry Fin and that book was pretty big. Meh.
Virtues are here for a reason...to be broken, of course!

Offline -account deleted-

• Captain Awesome
  • Yellow Level
  • Candies: 20
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 07:11:43 am »
Hell of a book. If you've got the cognitive capacity to read a whole 635 page novel, then definitely do. An absolute page-turner, as you will not stop reading it until you absolutely have to (if you don't, you're some sort of Philistine).
THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST

Offline Morgan Persimmon

• Participant
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 66
  • Now with 45% more!
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 11:59:11 pm »
AK's description, while accurate, might scare you away if you think it's nothing but a high-minded intellectual thingy.
The fact of the matter is that it's also a friggin' AWESOME bit of fiction by a clever author.
[quote ]
(9:29:08 PM) Jamie: Heh, but for real? Not just a cat picture joke?
[/quote]