Author Topic: Droid phone by Motorola  (Read 881 times)

Offline Greek

• Master Shitposter
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 27
  • Where in the world am I?
  • Fursona Species: German Shepherd
Droid phone by Motorola
« on: February 19, 2010, 07:44:53 pm »
I recently switched from AT&T having an IPhone to Verizon and getting the Droid by Motorola.
This is going to be quick and not so much about specs but my opinion on it.

Feel: I like the feel of the IPhone better than the Droid. Iphone felt more smooth and light-weight. Droid is some what thick, and blocky. The Droid is a bit obvious in my pocket as well, the IPhone was like it was never there. So for feel IPhone wins.

Layout: This the Droid dominates. The background can be set with any pic. Only the IPhone's lock screen could be set up unless jailbroken which voids the contract. The home screen can have apps and widgets giving a nice layout for easy access, IPhone has only shortcuts to apps. An added plus is that you can run multiple apps at once on the Droid, and you can 'kill' selected apps when wanted so as not to burn battery. Iphone can only use one app at a time. The options to edit the phone can be confusing at first but I got used to it pretty quick. So for layout Droid wins.

Battery: Not to much to say Droid and IPhone are almost the same, IPhone for me lasted for decent amounts of time. Droid can be great but if you leave to many apps running it chews right threw the battery. So for battery Droid wins unless you're the forgetful type and leave you're apps running.

Network: Up in the air. For me Droid wins. This is merely up to were you live and how good each network is in your area. So for now Droid until I do some more traveling with the it.
Up in the morning, outta the rack~
Great to dawn with an early attack~
First Sergeant rushes me off to chow~
I don't eat it anyhow~

Offline tibaltfox

• Orange Level
  • Cookies: 21
  • TOFUMONKK
  • Fursona Species: Fox
Re: Droid phone by Motorola
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 07:55:17 pm »
I have a G1 and for me the highest advantage of the Android platform is... you can do stuff with it.

With the iPhone you're pretty locked down. Android has surface level customization (widgets, background, etc as you mentioned, as well as the ability to get alternate apps for things such as SMS messaging, etc... and lets not forget home-screen replacements!)..

But then there's deeper customization.. I'm talking rooting your phone and being able to make it do things it was never supposed to. My G1 is running HTC's proprietary Sense UI right now, for instance, and I can tether my 3G connection to my computer using WiFi, USB, or Bluetooth.

So yeah, the hackability is very, very fun :)
Trust me. I'm a homosexual a bag of cheese a cult leader satan made of DIAMONDS a doctor a furry.

Behance! (Design and photography stuffs)
This FurAffinity account I never use! (which is generally horribly out of date, ahem)

Offline Greek

• Master Shitposter
  • Green Level
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 07:59:06 pm »
Hacking is fun, but it almost always voids the contract.
I don't eat it anyhow~

Offline tibaltfox

• Orange Level
  • TOFUMONKK
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 02:10:48 am »
Consider my warranty voided then ;).
I'd rather own my device. I could go into a whole dissertation here on how when you buy a piece of technology today you're often really only 'licensing' its use, like renting it out, etc etc. But that's for another thread :3.

As for the Droid though, I think it's slick enough to where you don't really have a necessity for any other ROMs - 2.0 (soon 2.1) is pretty slick, and the hardware is quick and up to par - more than one can say for the G1, which seems often times like prototype hardware. ROMs such as Cyanogen bring it up to speed.

Software aside, the only hack I've seen for the Droid involves the use of a homebrew franken-cable to enable using it is a USB host, since the port technically goes two-ways (that is, Linux-compatible software peripherals such as webcams, printers, etc could be theoretically plugged in to, and utilized by, your Droid. Pretty interesting.)

Hacking aside, I'm just gonna make a minor sidepoint and say that I'm a bigg fan of Geniewidget (the news and weather widget in 2.1, but available backported to 1.6 and up)

My father has a Droid that I've played around with a bit. Yes, it's a bit more 'rugged' (in terms of aesthetic and feel) than the iPhone, certainly a bit heftier (in terms of weight). In terms of thickness, it's only a sliver thicker than the iPhone (Droid - 13.7mm / iPhone - 12.33mm).

OH and let's not forget about the notification bar. A small point to bring up, yes, but I think it's genius. I can not only see basic icon notifications in the top bar, like your typical phone, but I can drag it down, like a drawer, and see what's up. If I have an email or tweet, I can drag down the notification bar and view it, tap on it to go to the app, etc etc. It's a very intuitive way of dealing with notifications.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 02:14:47 am by tibaltfox »
Trust me. I'm a homosexual a bag of cheese a cult leader satan made of DIAMONDS a doctor a furry.

This FurAffinity account I never use! (which is generally horribly out of date, ahem)

Offline Greek

• Master Shitposter
  • Green Level
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 03:07:38 am »
Yes you bring up some good points that I forgot to mention ,and even though the thickness is different slightly the Iphone is one slick piece of technology, the Droid is like two blocks stacked on top of each other giving it the wierd feel.
I don't eat it anyhow~

Offline tibaltfox

• Orange Level
  • TOFUMONKK
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 01:44:33 pm »
You know, it's funny, I made that post specifically so I could state that any extra thickness could probably be attributed to the presence of a full slideout qwerty keyboard (how is that by the way? I've heard mixed opinions).

But I got sidetracked... and didn't :3

Offline Greek

• Master Shitposter
  • Green Level
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2010, 01:54:20 pm »
The qwerty keyboard is good for me, you need to be somewhat careful because the keys are small. So while typing you can end up hitting more than one key or an unwanted one. So for me it works well, but for some people it wouldn't.
I don't eat it anyhow~