Author Topic: 'Proper' Speaking  (Read 1889 times)

Offline Daniel A. Skirtandzy

• Purple Level
  • Candies: 162
    • FurAffinity - Skirtandzy1
    • LiveJournal - Skirtandzy
    • Twitter - Skirtandzy
  • Fursona Species: Domestic Cat
'Proper' Speaking
« on: March 08, 2010, 12:11:19 pm »
Ok, I have taken notice to something here on FT.
Englishmen and Australians (and any other place once under the rule of UK, as to adopt customs), are exempt from this, as that is the standard way of teaching.

I have noticed a lot of people here add the letter 'U' to certain words (colour, favourite, etc).
Now, I am not making a complaint, as I do it myself, but I am wondering what caused you to start spelling in the more proper english writing?

*Dear neighbour, it would be a great honour if you could help me choose a colour to paint my favourite boat in the harbour.*
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 06:55:13 pm by Daniel A. Skirtandzy »
  • Flag - lawyer
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Site Donor

Offline Tyla

• Green Level
  • Candies: 23
Re: 'Proper' Speaking
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 12:37:08 pm »
I've always done it. There are a few words I use with the American English spelling. forgotten which though - I don't usually pay attention much.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 12:40:27 pm by Tyla »

Offline Mik

• [Insert something meaningful here]
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 68
  • Piece o' Piss ya bloody fruitshop owners!
    • DeviantArt - mikunefolf
    • FurAffinity - mikune
    • Twitter - MikuneFolf
  • Fursona Species: Folf
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 12:38:37 pm »
The reason I do it is because it is the way I have been taught to spell from a young age. And to be honest it is sensible to spell a language you speak correctly. Also If I didnt spell "colour" "honour" etc. the way I do it would be seen as a spelling mistake by other people from my country.

Offline Meadow Whisper (Natasha)

• ᎣᏏᏲ! I'm a horse now! ^.^
  • FT Founder
  • Candies: 397
    • DeviantArt - lupiniastudios
    • FurAffinity - softpaw
    • Twitter - lupinia
    • Weasyl - softpaw
    • Lupinia Studios
  • Fursona Species: Chincoteague Pony
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 01:24:27 pm »
I started doing it many years ago, long before I got into the furry fandom, as a way to distance myself from America when talking to people online.  This was about the time Americans commonly pretended to be Canadian while travelling abroad, so I essentially did the same thing.  Plus, I thought it looked pretty :-)

Fast-forward to now, when I care a lot less about what country people think I'm from.  I've considered going back to American spellings, but at this point the British ones are so ingrained in my mind that they feel as natural as if I'd grown up there, and the American spellings are very awkward to write/type.
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Here is a horse I have made for you:
        |,\_/,\_
 ,-__/,   ,       )kk
.                     \,kkk
 \    ,___....--     \kkkk
           \               \kkkkk
             \               \kkkkk

Note:  I'm no longer actively involved in running this site, so while I welcome any personal messages, please do not contact me about account issues.  Please direct all such inquiries to Panda.  Thanks for all the years of awesome memories and friendship!  <3

Offline Muishi

• STOP...
  • Yellow Level
  • Candies: 25
  • ...hammer time.
    • FurAffinity - ianthe
    • Twitter - ianthecc
  • Fursona Species: PANDAHH
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 02:00:37 pm »
I'm british so I've been brought up to spell words such as colour and honour in this particular way. It's like american's say "Diaper", British People say "Nappy". "Cellphone"= "Mobile". "Highway"= "Motorway". "Soda"= "Fizzy Drink". Like you can see in the examples, the differences are also in the way we talk. It's just how we roll (sorry I had no other way to explain it. I spent three hours trying to wirte an essay and frankly have quite given up :/ )
<3Lestat<3

Offline Frostclaw

• Orange Level
  • Candies: 6
    • DeviantArt - yonifrostclaw
    • FurAffinity - YoniFrostclaw
  • Fursona Species: fox/lynx hybrid
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 03:16:48 pm »
My english teacher has changed alot. I think at first I was taught british english and then american english.

Offline Seth

• Blue Level
  • Candies: 50
    • DeviantArt - SethMongoose
    • FurAffinity - Safaia
  • Fursona Species: Yellow Mongoose/Reindeer Hybrid
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 03:21:33 pm »
I actually always spell words like 'color' or 'honor' without the 'u'. I prefer the 'u' in it, but because my mom is a grammer nazi, it's made it almost impossible to put in the 'u' for me.

Offline Nox

• Blue Level
  • Candies: 60
  • Fursona Species: Dingo
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 04:22:57 pm »
You think that's messed up? We spell "Plow" "Plough", though they might be different things, I don't really know....

But yeah, I spell stuff the way I do because it was the way I was taught. Chrome's spellcheck gets quite annoying when it comes to that.

• Flag - original

Offline Greek

• Master Shitposter
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 27
  • Where in the world am I?
  • Fursona Species: German Shepherd
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 05:29:03 pm »
I've was brought up to spell without the 'u' in those certain words. Now my English teacher this year is trying to make us spell certain words with 'u'. "The Once and Future King", "The Hobbit", and "Illdys to the King". All classic English works, all with that extra 'u'.
Up in the morning, outta the rack~
Great to dawn with an early attack~
First Sergeant rushes me off to chow~
I don't eat it anyhow~

Offline Xor

• Cuddlefox
  • Red Level
  • Candies: 2
  • Also a political theoretician.
  • Fursona Species: Red Fox
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2010, 05:35:58 pm »
I can't say that I put "u"s in words, as I'm an American, and Americans have an aversion to spelling things properly, but I do spell "maneuver" "manoeuvre" a lot of the time.  There are a few other words I spell in the English fashion (such as "centimetre"), but that's the one that most readily comes to mind.  The reason?  I simply prefer it, in that case.  In other cases, such as "centimetre," it's because as far as I'm concerned, that's an English measurement and therefore deserves to be spelled in the English manner.  

Offline Tyla

• Green Level
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2010, 06:49:56 pm »
Xor: Ah yeah, "Centimeter" is one of the odd ones out for me.

Offline Zenith Decrowe

• Bold as Love
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 42
  • Not a chicken
    • FurAffinity - zeniththecrow
  • Fursona Species: Crow
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2010, 08:52:40 pm »
"U"s aren't the only things that differ (like -re).  I'm born and bred in the U.S. but I still spell the words theater "theatre" and gray "grey" for some odd reason.  I have no idea why I spell just those words that way.  Maybe I was introduced to those variations first?  I also like to spell the words defense and offense "defence and offence" because I think that the "-ce" has more of and "s" sound than "-se".  I sometimes spell these words in American-English on the computer because Mozilla underlines it to tell me it's wrong.

No one's correcting or saying anything about my spelling so I guess I have no reason to change it.  :lol-fox:
  • Site Donor
And so castles made of sand fall in the sea,
Eventually

Offline Rizzan

• Life is like a dissembled abacus...
  • Yellow Level
  • Candies: 17
  • ..it's what you make of it that counts.
    • FurAffinity - rizzan
  • Fursona Species: Gryphon
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2010, 09:46:08 pm »
I'll sometimes put the 'u' in there mainly because I can't remember how to spell it and I'v read sevrel classic english books that have the extra 'u' and I've just never really noticed it and thught it was spelled right.
Avi done by Five.

Offline Straitjacket

• The Crazies
  • Yellow Level
  • Candies: 29
    • LiveJournal - tribedragoony
    • Twitter - TribeTheBeast
  • Fursona Species: Beast (Tigerdemon / Dragon Hybrid)
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2010, 12:46:10 pm »
Frankly, I have no idea how my spelling is. I think I put in the 'u' most of the time, but it isn't uncommon of me to spell without it.

And I spell it "Centimeter", not because it's American, but because that's how we spell it in Norwegian.

I never use spellchecks, in neither English nor Norwegian. I just don't trust them, they don't understand what you're trying to say, they just follow the rules they were given. Besides, I've learned a lot more from looking up in dictionaries.

Most of my English were learned outside the classroom, so my spelling and grammar isn't perfect, and I probably mix English and American. But on the other hand, using English have become about as natural to me as using Norwegian.
I'm confused, oh wait, maybe I'm not.

Offline TIGER

• Blue Level
  • Candies: 222
  • :03
    • Twitter - tidaltiger
    • tumblr
  • Fursona Species: surprisingly, not a tiger?
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2010, 01:39:00 am »
I was taught to use a 'u' in those words, I do it without thinking. Google and Microsoft word (if I don't set it to English Australia) annoys me. And like Ianthe said, we have different words. (Diaper, store, soda, pop, closet, that sort of thing.)
Color. It looks wrong to me without the U in it...  :fox-:P:
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: she/they
  • Award - Graphic Artist
do your best today! ☀

Offline Daniel A. Skirtandzy

• Purple Level
  • Candies: 162
    • FurAffinity - Skirtandzy1
    • LiveJournal - Skirtandzy
    • Twitter - Skirtandzy
  • Fursona Species: Domestic Cat
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2010, 11:23:41 am »
MS Word also annoys me with that.
When I typed 'colour' that is how I want it spelled, not how it thinks it should be spelled (every time something like that comes up, I add it to the dictionary anyway).

I actually got 4 points off an assignment, because I used a 'u' in the word 'honour' (two times the word came up).
  • Flag - lawyer
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Site Donor

Offline GMoney

• Im me. Are you you?
  • Red Level
  • Candies: 10
  • Im me, are you you
  • Fursona Species: Arctic Fox
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2010, 12:10:25 pm »
I talk that way because 95% of the people I talk to online are either Australian or European
The names Bond, John Bond XD

Offline Tyla

• Green Level
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2010, 12:24:40 pm »
I actually got 4 points off an assignment, because I used a 'u' in the word 'honour' (two times the word came up).
That's when I think marking is dumb. :p

I wouldn't be surprised if I lost marks because I was using the American spelling of some words.

Offline Alex Galloway

• The Defender
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 62
  • :D
    • FurAffinity - HaddockWolf
  • Fursona Species: Dracocatwolf, Illogical Tribrid from another dimension
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2010, 02:07:33 pm »
I generally don't use the "u's" Because I pronounce each word in my head, and colour becomes Col-ore instead of the col-er, and while some people pronounce it this way, I don't, so it seems weird to me. I don't mind, (and in fact, rarely notice) when people use them, but I doubt I will use them much at all. And people shouldn't be marked wrong based on locational writing choice.
"In the end we will not remember the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." -Dr. MLK Jr.
Every person is born a white canvas, and each person we touch, each person we talk to, they impart a shade of their color upon you. and these mixes of colors blend into a unique shade that is you - Alexander (me)

Offline Foxxhoria

• Red Level
  • Candies: 4
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2010, 02:31:06 pm »
I was about to post a spelling-pronunciation related anecdote! =o

When I first read colour as "color" (I'm british), my mind wanted to pronounce it like "co-lore" (like, colon, but color (maybe like "something to do with the colon :P").  That's my "logical" argument.  But then yeah, it doesn't really matter to me because I am british :P.