Author Topic: My review: Twilight Series (books) (SPOILER ALERT)  (Read 1206 times)

Offline Zhael

• Life is a Bullet
  • Red Level
  • Cookies: 3
  • Lawl, what goes here?
    • DeviantArt - WolvenZhael
    • FurAffinity - WolvenZhael
  • Fursona Species: Black Wolf
My review: Twilight Series (books) (SPOILER ALERT)
« on: March 15, 2010, 10:25:34 pm »
I won't lie, I love the Twilight Saga, and squealed when I heard that Stephenie Meyer was planning on a fifth (not really, but you understand what I mean.)  But it's one of those guilty pleasures I wish I didn't have.  From a literary and professional standpoint, this book is utter junk.  But why do I like it? What's wrong with it? Well...

Plot
The plot, like many things these days, is a generic and overplayed cliche with a small twist.  Like many attempts to make things original, mythology and fantasy were used, similar to that of books/movies like: Harry Potter ("Growing Pains" + Magic) , Eragon ("Man Vs. Society" + Dragons), and, as a very odd comparison, My Super-Ex Girlfriend ("He Loves Me Not" + Superpowers. I only use this to show that this is a common theme in both books and movies). The list goes on. But, as said by Neal Shusterman, "People find comfort in routine."  This, too, applies to Twilight. The basic premise, for those who don't know much about the series, is that a teenage girl believes she's found the absolute perfect guy (and who at that age doesn't believe that every boyfriend isn't absolutely perfect?), but, like "cool" guys are commonly portrayed in the teenage angst books, he is dark and brooding. But this isn't the average teenage issues; no, this is where our twist comes in. Apparently, this is a bloodsucking creature of the night.  Yes, a vampire. In a school. During in the day. Around people. Oh, did I mention he's gorgeous? It's hard to remember when you have someone like Robert Pattinson portraying him in a movie.
But, back onto track, the plot is substandard. The execution is poor, but the premise isn't awful.  Do I like it at a glance? Definitely; with further analysis, however, I see it's nothing special in the slightest. Unlike other ideas that used the same modifiers (Eragon and Harry Potter), it doesn't make it a "revolutionary" change in novels in a positive manner.

Characters
This will be separated into four different sections: Bella, Edward, Jacob (another example of the mythological/fantasy aspects), and everyone else.
Bella is your average depraved, angsty, foolish seventeen year old. She's also a social shut in with no self esteem.  Yes, we've got another one of *those* books.  She blindly follows Edward, then Jacob, then Edward again, then lord-knows-who.  Edward is the perfect guy, apparently, but there's two problems with that: he's not human and she ran to Jacob after she remembered he existed.  However, she tends to change drastically at any given time, such as giving up her life, even though she's been inclined to stay in her room for six months. Oh, and then she gets hallucinations because she's *that* obsessed with Edward. No, really.  This isn't love; this is addiction.
Edward, our brooding, dark, pedophile of a character. It's already been established that with "undeath," the new vampire matures, just not physically. Therefore, he suffers from pedophilia, and had sex with a minor.  Other then the man-beast of a child he impregnates her with (that caused her to drink blood by the bottle, no less), everything seems normal. Well, as normal and original a book of this caliber can be. What we can take away from Edward is that he's just as insane as Bella, as, without complete conformation, upon hearing Bella may possibly be dead, he goes to get himself ripped to shreds.
Next we have Jacob, our werewolf (yes, anthro stuff; go nuts).  I don't know how he can be described, except so jealous of Bella and Edward that he tries to allow Edward to die on multiple occasions.  In addition, he matures faster then the average younger teenager, so we have more pedophilia ahead.  He gets angry at everything, and tries to look a lot tougher and cooler then he really is.  He fits right in with our other characters.
Everyone else refers to three groups: humans, vampires, and werewolves. Our humans are all the same. Everyone's the generic teenage boy/girl that cares about the prom and shopping and sex.  The vampires are all disgraces to the name, being overly happy and nice to anyone that comes their way.  The werewolves are the exact opposite, one almost killing his wife because he lost his temper.

In conclusion, this is a mess of a book. But I love it.

(Sorry, I lost my "gusto" when getting to the end. I may add some stuff, may rewrite some stuff, I don't know. It just was something I've been thinking about writing about :3)

Offline Wolfbaine

• Red Level
  • Cookies: 1
    • FurAffinity - Wolfbaine
    • LiveJournal - Wolfbaine94
  • Fursona Species: Grey Wolf
Re: My review: Twilight Series (books) (SPOILER ALERT)
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 07:42:02 pm »
I've read all the books and I'm split halfway with the series. I liked reading them, but I did find a lot of parts which could have been better.  I admit that I did feel bored at times. Like when there's a talking scene that goes on longer than I think it should. That's not saying the books are bad. It has giant wolves! And I think each book was better than the last. Though I would have changed the ending of Breaking Dawn. So the series is alright, but it could be improved much more.

Offline Alex Galloway

• The Defender
  • Blue Level
  • Cookies: 62
  • :D
    • FurAffinity - HaddockWolf
  • Fursona Species: Dracocatwolf, Illogical Tribrid from another dimension
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 09:07:19 pm »
This series scares me. A lot. There are a number of messed up themes in that book, and I'm not touching it with a 10 foot pole. Biting out someones uterus does not sound like relaxing and fun reading to me.
"In the end we will not remember the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." -Dr. MLK Jr.
Every person is born a white canvas, and each person we touch, each person we talk to, they impart a shade of their color upon you. and these mixes of colors blend into a unique shade that is you - Alexander (me)

Offline Greek

• Master Shitposter
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 27
  • Where in the world am I?
  • Fursona Species: German Shepherd
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 10:06:33 pm »
My opinion on the series I can''t actually give. The first book I can. I forced myself to read the thing and in the end I now avoid that series like the plague. Sorry it just isn't my type of book. I guess it wouldn't be so bad if all the fan girls at my school didn't force it down my throat.
Up in the morning, outta the rack~
Great to dawn with an early attack~
First Sergeant rushes me off to chow~
I don't eat it anyhow~

Offline Capt. Carey

• level 2 bureaucrat
  • Orange Level
  • Cookies: 6
  • I wonder what this button does....
    • Sci-fi fur
  • Fursona Species: Lion
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 04:35:10 pm »
It tripled the number of emo/outcast stereotypes at my school.  And alot of girls are looking for the proverbial Edward in guys now.  Not healthy for your social chances IMO.

Offline Alex Galloway

• The Defender
  • Blue Level
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 04:37:28 pm »
^exactly.
I also got to Rip a girl at school about it. It was great, she was so upset, and the friend who was going to support her, actually agreed with me...
"In the end we will not remember the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." -Dr. MLK Jr.
Every person is born a white canvas, and each person we touch, each person we talk to, they impart a shade of their color upon you. and these mixes of colors blend into a unique shade that is you - Alexander (me)

Offline Muishi

• STOP...
  • Yellow Level
  • Cookies: 25
  • ...hammer time.
    • FurAffinity - ianthe
    • Twitter - ianthecc
  • Fursona Species: PANDAHH
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 05:15:31 pm »
Biting out someones uterus.

Excuse me? I've never read them and because of your comment never will (Not that it's a bad thing). EWWW it's wrong :/ I feel ill now :(
<3Lestat<3

Offline Alex Galloway

• The Defender
  • Blue Level
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 05:35:38 pm »
Yeha, that how edawrd, the dead guy gets the baby out of the girl he likes. No c-section, no hospital, HIS MOUTH. WHYYYYYYYYY

Offline Greek

• Master Shitposter
  • Green Level
  • Where in the world am I?
  • Fursona Species: German Shepherd
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010, 06:25:36 pm »
I remember over hearing something like that at school during a peep rally. I promptly turned around and yelled at the fan girls sitting behind me. They were my friends too. Oh well, they got over it and realized they were being annoying.
Up in the morning, outta the rack~
Great to dawn with an early attack~
First Sergeant rushes me off to chow~
I don't eat it anyhow~

Offline Sulphur

• Green Level
    • DeviantArt - SulphurTea
    • FurAffinity - Sulphuric
    • LiveJournal - SulphurTea
    • Twitter - Sulphurtea
  • Fursona Species: Spotted Hyena
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2010, 10:23:32 pm »
Just going to put my two cents in. This sums up my views on Twilight pretty well >>
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 07:15:52 am by Natasha Softpaw »

Offline Alex Galloway

• The Defender
  • Blue Level
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2010, 10:25:52 pm »
Broken link :(

Offline Meadow Whisper (Natasha)

• ᎣᏏᏲ! I'm a horse now! ^.^
  • FT Founder
  • Cookies: 397
    • DeviantArt - lupiniastudios
    • FurAffinity - softpaw
    • Twitter - lupinia
    • Weasyl - softpaw
    • Lupinia Studios
  • Fursona Species: Chincoteague Pony
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2010, 07:16:26 am »
Fixed, don't surround the URL in quotes when using the BBCode url tag

Also, excellent article!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 07:22:19 am by Natasha Softpaw »
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Here is a horse I have made for you:
        |,\_/,\_
 ,-__/,   ,       )kk
.                     \,kkk
 \    ,___....--     \kkkk
           \               \kkkkk
             \               \kkkkk

Note:  I'm no longer actively involved in running this site, so while I welcome any personal messages, please do not contact me about account issues.  Please direct all such inquiries to Panda.  Thanks for all the years of awesome memories and friendship!  <3