Author Topic: feel free to move this, but...  (Read 1609 times)

Offline TIGER

• Blue Level
  • Candies: 222
  • :03
    • Twitter - tidaltiger
    • tumblr
  • Fursona Species: surprisingly, not a tiger?
feel free to move this, but...
« on: March 20, 2010, 03:01:40 am »
my dad recently got rid of my bigpond email (the card was never used and it saved $89 so yeah)
Is this going to be a problem now that I dont have an email? I've heard you can be blocked\banned if its not valid. :sad-fox:
*This was posted from my phone btw, so I really hope this works...*
Facebook has already told me about it, and i might be using dad's until i get a new one or something else.
Please dont get rid of my account! -mango
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: she/they
  • Award - Graphic Artist
do your best today! ☀

Offline j-fur

• Orange Level
  • Candies: 14
    • FurAffinity - j-fur
    • Twitter - jfurlolo
  • Fursona Species: Folf
Re: feel free to move this, but...
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 03:59:04 am »
You can allways make a  Gmail acount.
After all, -whispers- it's free. :fox-;):

Offline Alex Galloway

• The Defender
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 62
  • :D
    • FurAffinity - HaddockWolf
  • Fursona Species: Dracocatwolf, Illogical Tribrid from another dimension
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 06:26:13 am »
Yeah, google and yahoo both have free email. I love my yahoo email, its quite simple.
"In the end we will not remember the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." -Dr. MLK Jr.
Every person is born a white canvas, and each person we touch, each person we talk to, they impart a shade of their color upon you. and these mixes of colors blend into a unique shade that is you - Alexander (me)

Offline Schism

• Blue Level
  • Candies: 82
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 10:26:31 am »
Gmail is extremely reliable! You could make one specifically for this site, and your dad won't know!

Offline Kambo

• Personally knew Abe Lincoln
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 85
  • True story.
    • DeviantArt - kamboblack
    • FurAffinity - harlan
    • Twitter - kamboblack
    • Weasyl - harlan
    • Unfinished Portfolio Site :(
  • Fursona Species: Grey fox
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 11:26:05 am »
I must concur, Gmail is great! I've got 3 accounts, and if you get an account, you have access to almost everything else they have to offer, like docs, reader, talk, buzz, etc, etc.
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His
Feel free to PM me, I don't bite! I reserve that treatment for sushi and pretzels.

Fursona References (Kambo and Camille)

Offline Hale Laocon

• Blue Level
  • Candies: 83
    • FurAffinity - halelaocon
  • Fursona Species: Dog (Germ. Shep)
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 01:12:29 pm »
It's highly recommended you use Gmail rather than Yahoo, since the latter tends to unnecessarily filter FT notifications to Spam. In addition to this it's highly problematic because at one point in time I was actually banned from FT due the Yahoo mail's inconsistency
  • Award - Beta Tester
Message me if you wanna play the new exo zombies on xbox one :3

Offline Alex Galloway

• The Defender
  • Blue Level
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 02:27:10 pm »
I've used yahoo for this entire time and haven't had a single problem. The notifications never went to spam, And I don't know how you got banned. I'd recommend g-mail just because more people use it. I just don't know from experience.
"In the end we will not remember the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." -Dr. MLK Jr.
Every person is born a white canvas, and each person we touch, each person we talk to, they impart a shade of their color upon you. and these mixes of colors blend into a unique shade that is you - Alexander (me)

Offline Meadow Whisper (Natasha)

• ᎣᏏᏲ! I'm a horse now! ^.^
  • FT Founder
  • Candies: 397
    • DeviantArt - lupiniastudios
    • FurAffinity - softpaw
    • Twitter - lupinia
    • Weasyl - softpaw
    • Lupinia Studios
  • Fursona Species: Chincoteague Pony
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 04:36:31 pm »
We don't delete accounts, so you don't have to worry about that. The worst that will happen is that your account will be locked out, leaving you unable to post until you change your email address.

And Hale is right about Yahoo. If you're going to use a free email provider, use Gmail. We have a LOT of problems with them, to the point that I've considered adding all @yahoo.com addresses to the block list.
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Here is a horse I have made for you:
        |,\_/,\_
 ,-__/,   ,       )kk
.                     \,kkk
 \    ,___....--     \kkkk
           \               \kkkkk
             \               \kkkkk

Note:  I'm no longer actively involved in running this site, so while I welcome any personal messages, please do not contact me about account issues.  Please direct all such inquiries to Panda.  Thanks for all the years of awesome memories and friendship!  <3

Offline Varlen

• So Amaze, Such
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 103
  • FTS RESODENT WIERDO SMILE DOOER.
  • Fursona Species: El Skunko!
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2010, 04:56:43 pm »
And Hale is right about Yahoo. If you're going to use a free email provider, use Gmail. We have a LOT of problems with them, to the point that I've considered adding all @yahoo.com addresses to the block list.

What about active users who currently use Yahoo as their only active email address, like most people online do? Blocking them essentially for their choice in email provider seems a little... extreme.
  • Flag - banana
  • Award - Beta Tester
Var's Vid of the Week:
Week 13, AK Underwater. If you have any suggestions for the Vid of the Week, pm me! ^.^

Offline Alex Galloway

• The Defender
  • Blue Level
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2010, 05:04:30 pm »
I agree. I use my yahoo email for everything. Having 2 emails would be quite a problem for me.

Offline Kambo

• Personally knew Abe Lincoln
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 85
  • True story.
    • DeviantArt - kamboblack
    • FurAffinity - harlan
    • Twitter - kamboblack
    • Weasyl - harlan
    • Unfinished Portfolio Site :(
  • Fursona Species: Grey fox
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2010, 06:53:39 pm »
You can set up the yahoo accounts to automaticaly forward all your regular mail to an alternate email, and use the alternate for FT. Or the other way around, you could have all FT stuff go to an alt email and set it up to forward it to your regular account. There's a lot of ways around it.
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His
Feel free to PM me, I don't bite! I reserve that treatment for sushi and pretzels.

Fursona References (Kambo and Camille)

Offline Varlen

• So Amaze, Such
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 103
  • FTS RESODENT WIERDO SMILE DOOER.
  • Fursona Species: El Skunko!
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2010, 10:01:27 pm »
You can set up the yahoo accounts to automaticaly forward all your regular mail to an alternate email, and use the alternate for FT. Or the other way around, you could have all FT stuff go to an alt email and set it up to forward it to your regular account. There's a lot of ways around it.

All very useful. But I use Yahoo, and I've just been banned.

So I'm not expecting any mail from FT to my Yahoo account anymore.

I've also not broken the rules, at all. Infact, I can see the Staff Boards I'm such a good boy. But still, I've been banned.

This is my problem with the idea D=. Even if it wasn't pursued, or even taken seriously. I don't think it should ever be mentioned again, because it scares me )=.

Yahoo UK doesn't seem to hate FT, I get all my email through just fine. In my Inbox and everything.
  • Flag - banana
  • Award - Beta Tester
Var's Vid of the Week:
Week 13, AK Underwater. If you have any suggestions for the Vid of the Week, pm me! ^.^

Offline Alex Galloway

• The Defender
  • Blue Level
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2010, 11:00:02 pm »
I am unable to comply. Yahoo requires paid subscription to forward all emails. I have set up a gmail account, and will be patching it to here in order to avoid random bans. I have never had it happen, but I won't take a useless risk.

Offline copb.phoenix

• So long and goodnight
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 114
    • FurAffinity - copb_phoenix
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2010, 11:17:15 pm »
What about active users who currently use Yahoo as their only active email address, like most people online do? Blocking them essentially for their choice in email provider seems a little... extreme.

Well... I don't know your neck of the woods, but most people here only really use their @ab.edu or @clrk.ver.net or @k12.wv.edu or... (same vein) as their main one. FT is actually being posted through my alternate, which is GMail, which I POP instead of actually logging into. It's nice, easy, and lets me take my FT responses on the go.

As to being banned for choice of eMail provider... This is a bit more suited to be answered by someone else, but the Mailer-Daemon is not friendly when it comes to bouncing letters back at you, and I imagine that's part of the concern here. I personally bounce an echo test both to see if people still use their eMail I have and to see if their email is still valid once or twice a year... You'd be amazed how quick it is to reply on the small scale, and on the scale of almost 2000 addresses (probably more like 1200, really), I can see where that would be a problem in cases where providers bounce emails.

However, that's the second time I've poured personal experience in instead of actual knowledge. Don't take it as factual; it's just the only thing I can think to tell you.
  • Flag - turing
  • Award - Beta Tester
Isn't this where...?

Offline TIGER

• Blue Level
    • Twitter - tidaltiger
    • tumblr
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2010, 04:42:18 am »
Gmail accounts are similar to hotmail right? (I know hardly anything about that sort of thing, usually my parents set it all up.)

Note to self: DO NOT GET A YAHOO EMAIL. Thank you Natasha :lol-fox:
*Blinks at profile* Since when am I yellow level? :shock:
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Award - Graphic Artist
do your best today! ☀

Offline Meadow Whisper (Natasha)

• ᎣᏏᏲ! I'm a horse now! ^.^
  • FT Founder
  • Candies: 397
    • DeviantArt - lupiniastudios
    • FurAffinity - softpaw
    • Twitter - lupinia
    • Weasyl - softpaw
    • Lupinia Studios
  • Fursona Species: Chincoteague Pony
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2010, 05:03:52 pm »
How many different ways do I have to say it, you won't be banned for your choice of email provider in the same way that we ban people for causing trouble.  If it happens, fixing your account is as simple as changing your email address to something else.  And for now, the only way your account will be locked-out for email issues is if message delivery to your email address fails with a permanent error.  Further discussion about Yahoo email addresses can be found (and should be directed to) this thread:  http://www.furryteens.org/forum/index.php?topic=6898.0

Varlen:  I see no evidence of you being banned on this site.  Ever.  Additionally, I've never received any delivery errors for your current email address, nor do I see any addresses in the "bad addresses" list that look like something you'd use.
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Here is a horse I have made for you:
        |,\_/,\_
 ,-__/,   ,       )kk
.                     \,kkk
 \    ,___....--     \kkkk
           \               \kkkkk
             \               \kkkkk

Note:  I'm no longer actively involved in running this site, so while I welcome any personal messages, please do not contact me about account issues.  Please direct all such inquiries to Panda.  Thanks for all the years of awesome memories and friendship!  <3

Offline TIGER

• Blue Level
    • Twitter - tidaltiger
    • tumblr
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2010, 05:11:43 am »
thanks guys, all fixed now ^.^ Although I can only access my email via dads computer....
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Award - Graphic Artist
do your best today! ☀