Author Topic: "Rosetta Stoned" - TOOL  (Read 1776 times)

Offline .

• Red Level
  • Cookies: 12
"Rosetta Stoned" - TOOL
« on: April 09, 2010, 03:01:41 am »
Maynard must have taken alotta DMT before writing this song.

And I wish I could sing that fast.

Offline 800880088

• Orange Level
  • Cookies: 14
Re: "Rosetta Stoned" - TOOL
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 04:43:11 am »
The vocals are crazy in that song. Looked up the lyrics and it dose not even mach to what he is singing >.>

Offline .

• Red Level
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 09:03:12 pm »
Dude, I know!  It's crazy!  Getting abducted by aliens n' stuff.

Offline Tristan Thilorn

• Orange Level
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 12:07:52 am »
I just listened to that song for the first time. And as a former, long-time Tool hater, I'm surprised to say that I actually like it.

It's right up there with Stinkfist as one of my favourite songs that I've heard from them (so far). ^^

Offline tibaltfox

• Orange Level
  • Cookies: 21
  • TOFUMONKK
  • Fursona Species: Fox
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 03:59:23 am »
It's a damn good song! And I love how he sings in it.

In my opinion though, it's a lot better if you listen to Lost Keys (Blame Hoffman) first, and let it lead in.
Trust me. I'm a homosexual a bag of cheese a cult leader satan made of DIAMONDS a doctor a furry.

Behance! (Design and photography stuffs)
This FurAffinity account I never use! (which is generally horribly out of date, ahem)

Offline .

• Red Level
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 02:28:30 am »
I just listened to that song for the first time. And as a former, long-time Tool hater, I'm surprised to say that I actually like it.

It's right up there with Stinkfist as one of my favourite songs that I've heard from them (so far). ^^
Why did you hate tool?

Offline Tristan Thilorn

• Orange Level
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 10:58:03 am »
Why did you hate tool?
I think that their music really bored me at the time (since it has a tendency to be much slower-paced than most of the music I listen to)... that, and I hate Tool fans as a whole (they tend to be self-important hipster fucks, from what I've seen, with literally two exceptions).

So I didn't really want to be associated as a 'Tool fan' for that reason, you know... I still generally don't go around saying that I like Tool for the aforementioned reason, but I have begun to really like their music. ^^

EDIT: As far as the 'fans' thing goes... it's like another band I like (Marilyn Manson); the band itself is actually kind of cool and fun to listen to, but the fans (mallgoths) just kind of ruin it, if that makes any sense. Not the same thing, but similar.

Offline NamelessNeko

• Rockets Fall On Rocket Falls
  • Red Level
  • Cookies: 5
    • Twitter - NamelessNeko
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 11:56:30 am »
that, and I hate Tool fans as a whole (they tend to be self-important hipster fucks, from what I've seen, with literally two exceptions)

Hehe...Thats rather odd, because:

1. I'v never met any hipsters IRL that like Tool, nor have I ever though Tool of a hipster band!
2. My dad is a avid Tool fan, and I would hardly call him a hipster x3

Offline Tristan Thilorn

• Orange Level
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 12:14:33 pm »
Well, okay, maybe 'hipster' is the wrong word... but you know what I mean. XD

I meant that Tool fans, as far as I've seen, are douchebags. And that, hence, I'd be embarrassed to be identified as a 'Tool fan'. That's all I meant (though I most likely worded it wrong... it's early, and my brain is fucking tired). *Giggles*

Offline NamelessNeko

• Red Level
    • Twitter - NamelessNeko
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2010, 09:20:53 pm »
Ah, I see ^^;

Which is still odd to me, because Iv never met a Tool fan besides my Dad  IRL!

So I was quite surprised when I saw this topic and a member with the name from one of their songs.

Offline .

• Red Level
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2010, 10:15:01 pm »
Well, okay, maybe 'hipster' is the wrong word... but you know what I mean. XD

I meant that Tool fans, as far as I've seen, are douchebags. And that, hence, I'd be embarrassed to be identified as a 'Tool fan'. That's all I meant (though I most likely worded it wrong... it's early, and my brain is fucking tired). *Giggles*

I know what you mean.  It's quite embarrassing being put into that kind of group, ya know?

Offline Tristan Thilorn

• Orange Level
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2010, 10:44:40 pm »
Yeah, I know... it's like the example I gave. I love Marilyn Manson to a degree, but do I really want to be seen as a spooky kid/mallgoth? Fuck no (especially considering that I actually identify *as* a goth)! XD

That's all I meant. I still love Tool, though. c:

And ah, I see, NN... X3 But look on YouTube, for example. Or ED. Lots of examples of... Tools to see there. Maybe they're better IRL, but they generally suck online. xD

Offline NamelessNeko

• Red Level
    • Twitter - NamelessNeko
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2010, 07:53:06 pm »
*Notes this down*

Uhuh. I see. Also, just for reference,  whats a mallgoth?(Never heard the term x])

Would it be simply a Goth that hangs out at the mall? Or something Moo0oOoreeee!?

Offline Tristan Thilorn

• Orange Level
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2010, 08:41:18 pm »
Well, under their definition, yes, it would be a goth that hangs out at the mall... except they are not goth at all, and have little to no connection to the actual goth community.

They are basically those sad (as in pathetic) little kids you see hanging out in front of Hot Topic (or wherever else they might be when they venture out from the mall), usually in a band tee of their flavour of the month (usually Marilyn Manson/SOAD/Slipknot/et cetera) and a pair of the mass-produced bondage trousers they sell there. They're fairly easy to spot.

So they are, in simpler words... poser-goths that have little to no actual connection to goth (like I said) and are usually just in it for the attention they receive for wearing their overpriced Hot Topic wares. lul

Offline Schism

• Blue Level
  • Cookies: 82
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2010, 10:22:38 pm »
Why didn't someone call me IMMEDIATELY upon this thread's creation? XD

MY GOD I LOVE THIS SONG. It's so amazingly complicated that...I don't even know. It's just a perfect blend of musicianship, humor, and trippyness.

And I agree with Tibalt, this song is 10x better if you put Lost Keys at the beginning.

And for the record, I am not a self-important hipster fuck. Tool's music is meant to be an experience, and I just try to experience it to the fullest.

Offline NamelessNeko

• Red Level
    • Twitter - NamelessNeko
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2010, 02:32:54 am »
Well, under their definition, yes, it would be a goth that hangs out at the mall... except they are not goth at all, and have little to no connection to the actual goth community.

They are basically those sad (as in pathetic) little kids you see hanging out in front of Hot Topic (or wherever else they might be when they venture out from the mall), usually in a band tee of their flavour of the month (usually Marilyn Manson/SOAD/Slipknot/et cetera) and a pair of the mass-produced bondage trousers they sell there. They're fairly easy to spot.

So they are, in simpler words... poser-goths that have little to no actual connection to goth (like I said) and are usually just in it for the attention they receive for wearing their overpriced Hot Topic wares. lul
I see. So they could seen as posers, as it were?

^^; Another thing for me to ask, I have heard of Hot Topic before, and I know the general styling of the store, but I can guess that it is frowned on by those who are more...."hardcore"?

Me being in England we don't have Hot Topic and me being in a town with a relatively small "mall", I have no such corresponding store.

Offline Tristan Thilorn

• Orange Level
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2010, 10:10:29 am »
Yeah, more or less. xD

Yeah, I guess I can see that... I'm not sure if you're at all familiar with Cyberdog (the cyber-fashion store in London... if not, CLICK)? It's not related, but I guess it could be used to compare somewhat.

So... imagine if Cyberdog were not cybergoth/cyberpunk-related, but instead focused more on trad-goth. And then imagine, if you will, that they sold little to no clothes that an actual goth would likely want to wear (with exceptions, obviously... you know, taste varying from person to person and all that); and that instead they sold 'stereotypically goth' clothing like vampire fangs and Marilyn Manson shirts (although they have also branched out into a few other genres recently, such as emo and punk).

That's more or less Hot Topic, and it kind of sums up 'mallgothness' in a nutshell... bored kids (or young adults, in some cases) who want some attention, so they dress up in a stereotypically 'shocking' manner to piss off their mom (or whatever). It's ridiculous.

Offline NamelessNeko

• Red Level
    • Twitter - NamelessNeko
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2010, 04:42:23 pm »
Ah, I see, and yush iv been in a Cyberdog, in Brighton.

Very expensive in there fr clothing that seems relatively....crap =\

And I think I understand you now (Finally!) Its only just came into to place that it reminds me of a South Park episode, wee a Hot Topic come into town and "prepy kids" start dressing as vampires, annoying the real "Goth' kids.

Heheh....I think we moved a tad of topic. Woops.