Author Topic: Okami Review for the PS2  (Read 2603 times)

Offline Daimajin

• Orange Level
  • Candies: 9
Okami Review for the PS2
« on: November 18, 2006, 01:21:09 pm »
Okami is a game about a wolf, that means its teh win but not only that the wolf is a god/goddess!

okay really what is the game about?
Okami is about a goddess who is revived 100 years after her death when fighting the dreaded eight-headed drgaon Orochi. the game takes off with Orochi being revived and Okami Amaterasu having to save the world (again). the story is like any other fairytale but with the japanese base and all of the interesting twists it really is enjoyable its like an RPG storyline but not as corny or complex.
story score: 8

this is the first game for the PS2 that uses an amazing combat/interactive system called the celestial brush. using the brush you can slash oppponets, create bombs, control the elements, and so much more. even though your most strongest attacks will be brush techniques, you can also choose from three weapon types or divine instruments: the mirrors, the exorcism beads, and the Glaives. each weapon type has certain advantages over the other, and you can equip two at once that grants abilities to your attacks or to your brush. there are a total of 12 weapons but there is not much difference between weapons of the same type except for attack power and abilities. the combat system is like any normal action game with a few differences, but later in the game enemies become a lot tougher and if it is your first time fightting a certain demon they can be quite challenging. there are many different opponnets in the game but they are all based around 15-20 tier one monsters so once you learn how to beat the tier one demons the others aren't hard anymore. I did enjoy the fighting system very much though with its pretty colors and golden fury attacks (yes "golden" attacks) but it just wasn't a challenge. throughout the entire game I never died in combat not even during the final boss fight.
combat score: 9

Graphics.......EVERYTHING LOOKS LIKE JAPANESE CALIGRAPHY YOU CREATE FLOWERS WHEN YOU RUN AND YOU CAN DRAW THE F'ING SUN!!!!!!!!!!! enough said
graphics score: 10!

Adventure games all have one thing in common they have travel in them, the same is true for Okami. new areas open up when brush techniques are found or certain quests are fufilled usually both happen at the same time. at the beggining you have to run everywhich way until a little bit later, but if times not an issue than its a treat to look at the scenery. also the different enviorments help to make the game seem more real, you cant have green spring everywhere right?
adventure score: 9

Other notes about Okami
the skill system is based on praise, like "O thank the gods that I have my golden teapot back" then you would get ten praise and w/ enough you can invest in one of four skills/ extra stuff: health. ink bottles, astral pouch (extra lives), and purse size. a cool thing about the praise system is that you can feed animals, everything from rabbits to tigers and then bite them/ pick them up to carry them around a little bit. there are a few extra fun things in the game, like the npc voices it sounds like sim-speak (which can be sometimes annoying) and traveling to secret areas with brush techniques.

conclusion: this was a great game, and this was also my first review. I am still deciding if Either Okami or God of war was better (b/c I never died in Okami) but it was still a good game.

final score:9
buy this game! ((unless you hate Japan and furries(which is quite unlikely if you are reading this))

unfortunatley there are no half animal half human characters in Okami some people might become animals and then humans again by flipping out! but no half and half.

Offline Okami

• Yellow Level
  • Candies: 4
Re: Okami Review for the PS2
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2006, 01:31:44 pm »
Hehe... the game is named after me.

I also got the nifty 5-CD OST for the game. :3

Offline Flinch

• LOSER-MAGNET
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 683
  • I'm just default awesome
    • The Ferret's Den
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2006, 06:24:47 pm »
I like that the title of the topic rhymes...
President: "I just don't get kids, remind me to sign that abortion bill!"

Offline Daimajin

• Orange Level
  • Candies: 9
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2006, 11:11:37 pm »
you know it but I'm not a poet.

Offline Addycat

• Red Level
  • Candies: 0
  • New FT Member
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2006, 02:31:44 am »
Wonderful game. I'm still working on finishing it but wow, it's really fun. One of the better games I've bought so far for my PS2. :D

Offline Ralarare

• Red Level
  • Candies: 1
  • -screech-
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2007, 04:07:38 am »
Weren't they going to release a Wii version of this?...
An Australian Gryphon approaches. WHAT DO YOU DO?

Offline Lucien Wulff

• Red Level
  • Candies: 5
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2007, 10:26:30 pm »
An article about Okami on Wii at http://wii.ign.com/articles/764/764007p1.html.  Officially there are no plans, but there's a good chance of it happening.  The game is awesome (I only had to see twenty minutes of my friend play it to confirm it).  Man, I need a PS2.  Although I do have a Wii...
☼Jon☼

Because I'm cool like that
~Good musicians execute their music...bad ones murder it.
~"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true."
~"Music is what feelings sound like."

Offline Vela Nova

• Candies: 2
  • Self-Proclaimed Furry
    • Foxy Dude Studios
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2007, 11:23:30 pm »
You guys didn't hear? Capcom, the people that own Clover Studios, basically shut down Clover completely.  Which sucks completely because I was hoping for another VJ sequel.  Bad news aside, this is an awesome game.  Probably one of the best I've ever player.

Offline Fenn

• Thanks guys, for everything. But I don't think this is my lot in life anymore. Contact me via email if you want to stay in touch with me, or maybe on Xbox Live. But I'm pretty much shedding my fur.
  • Yellow Level
  • Candies: 10
  • Bye guys.
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2007, 02:11:29 pm »
yeah, i heard about that. that sux BAD because the ending of Okami was left wide open for a sequel. Okami roxors my soxors, i've put over 90 hours of pure heaven into that awesome game. i just hope that whoever gets the rights to produce the sequel (if there will be a sequel) doesnt taint it in any immaginable way.
So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Offline Eiko Orunitia

• Red Level
  • Candies: 6
  • Black Mage/ Black Lab
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2007, 02:54:11 pm »
Very fun! I finished it a little while ago. I had fun just feeding the little cute animals, but the gameplay was solid, the music was great, and graphic style was original. My favourite ps2 game to date.
"Judge not lest ye be judged youself" - Metallica, Holier Than Thou
(avy by Makki_wolf [FA])

Offline oliewulf_45

• Red Level
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2007, 11:33:46 am »
I found it really disappointing *gets attacked*  :guns:

Maybe the hype overtook me? It's happened on The Sims 2 for PS2 aswell...

I sold it, but i wish i didn't coz now i want to give it another chance!  :cry-wuf:

Doesn't matter anywyz... my PS2 bust!  :laugh-wuf: Damn you Sony + your crappy product quality  :cry-wuf:

Oh yeah, Wii Okami FTW! I mean the controls wud fit perfectly!  :wuf-;):
Wolf O'Donnell fanboy :3

Offline Fenn

• Thanks guys, for everything. But I don't think this is my lot in life anymore. Contact me via email if you want to stay in touch with me, or maybe on Xbox Live. But I'm pretty much shedding my fur.
  • Yellow Level
  • Candies: 10
  • Bye guys.
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2007, 07:41:58 am »
yeah, i heard about that. okami wii is going to pwn. i just hope the the only motion sensitive parts of the game are the celestial brush moves. fighting that kitsune again with motion sensitive brush is going to be quite interesting :)
So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Offline oliewulf_45

• Red Level
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2007, 02:49:47 pm »
yeah, i heard about that. okami wii is going to pwn. i just hope the the only motion sensitive parts of the game are the celestial brush moves. fighting that kitsune again with motion sensitive brush is going to be quite interesting :)

You fight a kitsune? Awww hell, i need this game again now =P
Wolf O'Donnell fanboy :3

Offline Chak

• Orange Level
  • Candies: 26
  • Partical physics gives me a Hadron
    • FurAffinity - Chak
    • My Art Page
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2007, 08:05:27 pm »
You guys didn't hear? Capcom, the people that own Clover Studios, basically shut down Clover completely.  Which sucks completely because I was hoping for another VJ sequel.  Bad news aside, this is an awesome game.  Probably one of the best I've ever player.
Clover didn't die, they came back with a new name, i think it's called Seed, wiki it and find out more

Offline Ari

• Red Level
  • just your average straight timber wolf.
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2008, 05:54:37 pm »
yea i heard a rumor about 2 the other day it was planned before they got shut down
really i don't bite; alright maybe just a little...                             seek the wolf in thy self

Offline Wolf12

• Life is just a dream it's never ending.
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 29
  • I'm not okay I'm crazy!!!!!!!
    • FurAffinity - bangwolf
  • Fursona Species: Gray Wolf
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2010, 06:14:27 pm »
I love this game great game play great story best game on the ps2.its the first game to let you pee on the bad guy oh and you can poop on them to. It gets 10 out of 10
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 06:30:33 pm by wolf12 »
All you base are belong to Wolf.
it's in the fine print.

my icon is done by Manicsfan.