Poll

Which edition of Dungeons and Dragons do you like best?

4e
2 (33.3%)
3e
2 (33.3%)
2e
2 (33.3%)
1e
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: D&D: 4e vs 3e  (Read 796 times)

Offline Nightmare the Stallion

• Yellow Level
  • Candies: 23
    • FurAffinity - nightmarethestallion
  • Fursona Species: Black Stallion
D&D: 4e vs 3e
« on: May 19, 2010, 03:22:09 pm »
For all you D&D players out there, I have a burning question - which do you prefer? 4th or third edition?
Personally, I play 4e becasue it's mechanics are simple, give everyone an equal part of the action and still allow expansive role-play.
However, I've heard people bash on 4e for the same simplicity reason, and I will admit old school is pretty fun to play occasionally, but I stand 4e.
Where do my fellow furry role-players stand on this issue? :3
(I threw the other editions in the poll to see if people hate both 3 and 4e X3)

Offline UnseenShade

• Red Level
  • Candies: 1
  • Fursona Species: Red Fox/Cat Hybrid
Re: D&D: 4e vs 3e
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 04:32:39 pm »
I used to be hardcore 3.5, but 4th ed grew on me and now I am much more familiar and comfortable with it. I miss the Beguiler from 3.5, but I found that I love the Ardent or the Swordmage, so I am content. People who bash on it almost never had played it more than just a single time. You need to play it more than once and open your mind to it for you to be able to truly compare the two versions. Besides, 3.5 had many contradictory and confusing rules and such that made it nigh impossible to play without needing a constant rules check.

Offline Alex Galloway

• The Defender
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 62
  • :D
    • FurAffinity - HaddockWolf
  • Fursona Species: Dracocatwolf, Illogical Tribrid from another dimension
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 05:00:27 pm »
3.5 is tons of fun. I have a question, are you allowed to make JUST an attack in 4? I heard that you can't. Plus, It isn't about the edition NEARLY as much as who DMs. I am my groups DM, and while there are tons of rules, if we need to check something, then we don't, we just use common sense as to what would happen in Real life. I have very little experience with 4, but I have tons with 3.5, so I am more for 3.5. It ma be a bias, but it can't be helped. I'm not about to go buy 4 in the chance that I don't like it. Its nearly 100$!

Edit: Also, a huge reason people hate 4, is that it was made after gygax died, so it isn't made to be like the previous ones. plus they have been constantly getting simpler and simpler over the years. the first edition even used calculus! But what I've heard from veterans, 2e is the best, especially because it filters out "noobs" because it requires at least late high school math.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 05:04:18 pm by Haddock Wolf »
"In the end we will not remember the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." -Dr. MLK Jr.
Every person is born a white canvas, and each person we touch, each person we talk to, they impart a shade of their color upon you. and these mixes of colors blend into a unique shade that is you - Alexander (me)

Offline copb.phoenix

• So long and goodnight
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 114
    • FurAffinity - copb_phoenix
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 02:16:38 am »
@Haddock: I'd post you the handbook PDF's of those to compare, but it's illegal. Suffice to say that:

D&D was very fundamental and more Chainmail than D&D - essentially Chainmail focusing on less characters.

AD&D was very little Chainmail and a lot of D&D, and, yes, heavy on the college grade mathematics (Calculus, Trigonometry, and a few scraps of Discrete)

AD&D2 has a small amount of fundamental Trig that I can think of, but most of it you should learn in high school.

AD&D2.5 was just expansions, so, no quarter.

AD&D3 I never played, so, I apologize. Ask someone else.

AD&D3.5 never asked me to do anything above fundamental Algebra... I don't even think it uses much of the Geometry Proofs that you spend hours memorizing.

AD&D4 will not have a PDF copy, and I cannot afford a Hardback.

I find it unfair, after paying the hundred and odd to get all the PDFs, that they shut down that system. I call shenanigans on that stunt! And I understand perfectly, but they should have secured them better, rather than locking everyone out of that deal. It is easier to carry 40 PDFs for occasional reference on my DS than it is to carry around 40 Hardbacks at more than 100 pages a piece... And sometimes I need a book I don't usually use, which means I'd have to be able to plan ahead way too well to merit bring all of them all the time. Shenanigans!

My favorite is 2.5... Because of Planescape! If you don't know, Balder's Gate (and sequels / expansions) and Planescape:Torment are based in the modified rules from this release! I apologize; I don't play rudimentary D&D much anymore, as in pens paper and imagination, but I do DM sessions of a modified D20 campaign from time to time, which is why I have uses for all the sourcebooks.
  • Flag - turing
  • Award - Beta Tester
Isn't this where...?

Offline UnseenShade

• Red Level
  • Candies: 1
  • Fursona Species: Red Fox/Cat Hybrid
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 08:06:51 am »
@Haddock: You can make a basic attack without using powers, but it tends to be smarter to use an At-Will power. Um, and you make one attack per turn unless a power says so. Even Two-Weapon Fighting is only a single attack but it gives different bonuses and such if you use two weapons. Suffice it to say, it makes battle flow easier and doesn't use a Basic Attack Bonus that reduces and such. I personally prefer 4th ed now since it is more realistic. Most people cannot make six attacks in less than three seconds, so it makes sense to restrict it to one or two unless it is a burst or blast.