Author Topic: Spelling and Grammar  (Read 1879 times)

Offline lucien

• i sold my hands for food
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 204
  • so please feed me.
    • DeviantArt - m0rtuum
    • FurAffinity - spazzeh
    • Twitter - onlygxdforgives
  • Fursona Species: african lion
Spelling and Grammar
« on: June 07, 2010, 01:13:57 am »
Okay, you guys. I've been noticing something that's starting to annoy me and well, the rest of the staff are pretty annoyed by it to.
Bad spelling and grammar.

Seriously, we don't ask for a lot on this site. If you make a few typos here and there or mess up some grammar, that's fine. We can deal with it. But lately, we've been seeing some horrid things. I've been seeing spelling that's so bad, I can't even tell what the word is and, this is the worst for me, sentences that lack punctuation.

When you type like this it makes it hard to read I can't tell if it's one giant sentence maybe you're just a bad typer or I'm bad at reading SERIOUSLY PEOPLE PUNCTUATE.

We're not asking for some big, hard task here. Just properly use your spelling and grammar. If you have a hard time with typos, I recommend getting a browser like Firefox or Google Chrome. It has a spell check feature that is very helpful. And for punctuation.. I mean, really. It's not that hard to put in a period of a comma where they need to go.

It's proper forum etiquette to type and post properly. Plus, every time you do it, I die a little.

Do you want a dead Spaz?
No.
You don't.

(No, seriously, please post properly.)
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: he/him

Offline Nox

• Blue Level
  • Candies: 60
  • Fursona Species: Dingo
Re: Spelling and Grammar
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 01:29:24 am »
If Spaz doesn't mind me adding, I once heard a saying I think would help here.

"It's a forum, not a text message. Make your English teacher proud."

You have all the time in the world to make your post, so don't feel as if you need to rush. Take it slow, check your spelling/grammar, and DO make your English teacher proud!
  • Flag - original

Offline tibaltfox

• Orange Level
  • Candies: 21
  • TOFUMONKK
  • Fursona Species: Fox
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 01:34:50 am »
This post endorsed by TibaltFox and the Consortium for Forum Posts That Don't Make Your Eyes Hurt (tm)*

*funded in part by the International Society for Proper Use of the Word "Your", Versus the Word "You're", Which is Totally Different, Thanks.
Trust me. I'm a homosexual a bag of cheese a cult leader satan made of DIAMONDS a doctor a furry.

Behance! (Design and photography stuffs)
This FurAffinity account I never use! (which is generally horribly out of date, ahem)

Offline Luke Fox

• Green Level
  • Candies: 28
  • Lol :V
    • FurAffinity - cooljoe224
  • Fursona Species: Red Forks
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 02:08:09 am »
Can I give a tip? Their,There, They're.

Their- Is refering to posession of somthng the people you are refering to have. Example: "Thier Dog is so cute!"

There- In or at that place. Example: "Look over there." Or "We made it there so quickly."

They're- They are. Example: "They're so awesome."

Offline lucien

• i sold my hands for food
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 204
  • so please feed me.
    • DeviantArt - m0rtuum
    • FurAffinity - spazzeh
    • Twitter - onlygxdforgives
  • Fursona Species: african lion
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 02:32:18 am »

Their- Is refering to posession of somthng the people you are refering to have. Example: "Thier Dog is so cute!"

There- In or at that place. Example: "Look over there." Or "We made it there so quickly."

This isn't the stuff I'm referring to in the post. I don't care about that (even though it personally bothers me), it's horrific spelling and lack of punctuation that I'm talking about.
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: he/him

Offline Zenith Decrowe

• Bold as Love
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 42
  • Not a chicken
    • FurAffinity - zeniththecrow
  • Fursona Species: Crow
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 02:42:07 am »
I have something to add as well. 

Before I post anything that doesn't seem right to me, I read my posts to myself.  Then I ask myself, "Is this something I would say out loud in a conversation?"  If you have pauses in your speaking, then add a comma to your sentence as well.

If it sounds OK, then it should also read OK.

For spelling:

If you see a red squiggly line underneath your word, right click the word to bring up spell check.  It's fast, it's simple, and it's easy.
  • Site Donor
And so castles made of sand fall in the sea,
Eventually

Offline Daniel A. Skirtandzy

• Purple Level
  • Candies: 162
    • FurAffinity - Skirtandzy1
    • LiveJournal - Skirtandzy
    • Twitter - Skirtandzy
  • Fursona Species: Domestic Cat
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 01:42:26 pm »
Thank you Spaz!

I see this quite often, but I've refrained from saying anything, not wanting to come off as rude for pointing it out.
The occational mistake is ok, I mean, we are all human, we all make mistakes. But when you see multiple errors in spelling or punctuation, please take the extra minute to go back and fix it.
  • Flag - lawyer
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Site Donor

Offline Hale Laocon

• Blue Level
  • Candies: 83
    • FurAffinity - halelaocon
  • Fursona Species: Dog (Germ. Shep)
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 01:52:12 pm »
Another example seems to be some users posting as though they were going through their personal train of thought. Although it would seem fine to you, none of us can really get it.
An excess of ellipses (...) also ruins the train of thought for most readers as they try to make sense of what you're saying, and when this ties with un-deliberately-placed homonyms and excessive grammar errors then it's always something that's up for deletion or not by the staff
Even if you apologize for this it doesn't mean you're off the hook, and as probably stated before, please re-read your posts to double-check that it sounds right.
People get really turned off by that sort of thing and keeping this up is a real drag for other people trying to read stuff on this site.
  • Award - Beta Tester
Message me if you wanna play the new exo zombies on xbox one :3

Offline Schism

• Blue Level
  • Candies: 82
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 02:24:00 pm »
THANK YOU FOR FINALLY POSTING THIS, SPAZ!

Some spelling mistakes are fine. But really, there are certain words that just can't be misspelled. Seeing horrific grammar in posts (like Hale said) is a big turn off. It makes me not want to reply!

Also, I don't get why people abbreviate words. I mean, if you're on a phone or an iPod, I guess it's acceptable, if you don't do it often. But, there's no excuse when you're on a forum, on a computer, with a keyboard. It doesn't matter how fast you post things. Try to keep abbreviations to a minimum.

Offline Duino

• Logical by Design.
  • Yellow Level
  • Candies: 27
  • Stupid by Choice.
    • FurAffinity - Duino
  • Fursona Species: Mandarin Duck
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 03:19:02 pm »

This isn't the stuff I'm referring to in the post. I don't care about that (even though it personally bothers me), it's horrific spelling and lack of punctuation that I'm talking about.

Firefox is limited to doing so much, awesome browser as it is. I don't know as much about Chrome's SpellCheck, but making the switch to either at the very least would help a person with this problem notice it. To be honest, I'm surprised not everyone's on Firefox already- the fact that this is a furry forum makes one think we'd be all over that.

Still, it doesn't do any of the grammar stuff, and that can be a big problem. People get used to only checking spelling instead of a sentence overall. I'm guilty of that a few times myself, I know. The best thing to do for that is right before you post something, copy and paste it into Microsoft Word or some other similar writing program that has a grammar filter in its editing system. It's quick and simple, and can really improve the quality of a post. There is nothing more important than making sure you're saying what you want. It's an old example, but it proves the point trying to be made:

"Let's eat Grandma."
 "Let's eat, Grandma!"

Punctuation saves lives. Use it!
And that's why they call me Duino Duck- Drake of Daring, Mandarin of Magnificence, Water Fowl of West Seattle!

Offline Seth

• Blue Level
  • Candies: 50
    • DeviantArt - SethMongoose
    • FurAffinity - Safaia
  • Fursona Species: Yellow Mongoose/Reindeer Hybrid
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 03:36:48 pm »
As others have said, thank you for posting this Spaz! Seeing all of the spelling and grammer errors upsets me too. I usually don't say anything, unless I really can't understand a word in the post.

Offline Alex Galloway

• The Defender
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 62
  • :D
    • FurAffinity - HaddockWolf
  • Fursona Species: Dracocatwolf, Illogical Tribrid from another dimension
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2010, 06:30:43 pm »
Yes, I prefer Proper etiquette when using grammar and vocabulary. I may have 2 capitals together at the beginning of a sentence, but that's because my left shift key lags from overuse. So, I agree completely with this message. It seems grammar is getting more and more esoteric these days.
"In the end we will not remember the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." -Dr. MLK Jr.
Every person is born a white canvas, and each person we touch, each person we talk to, they impart a shade of their color upon you. and these mixes of colors blend into a unique shade that is you - Alexander (me)

Offline Mik

• [Insert something meaningful here]
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 68
  • Piece o' Piss ya bloody fruitshop owners!
    • DeviantArt - mikunefolf
    • FurAffinity - mikune
    • Twitter - MikuneFolf
  • Fursona Species: Folf
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2010, 08:45:16 am »
I have seen quite a lot of bad spelling and such, and yes, it ranges from being pretty annoying to extremely annoying. And if you dont have any problems with spelling then you cannot really be excused. But has anyone actually considered that someone who is spelling something badly that would be very easy to spell for most people could actually have dyslexia or something? And yes you could say that if they are dyslexic then maybe a forum isnt the place for them, but people should always be given a chance. Sometimes I see these posts and I am like 0_o "has anyone actually considered peoples feelings?".

« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 09:02:16 am by Mik »

Offline Hale Laocon

• Blue Level
  • Candies: 83
    • FurAffinity - halelaocon
  • Fursona Species: Dog (Germ. Shep)
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2010, 03:13:54 pm »

While we certainly consider stuff like this, it doesn't mean that we're going to let incoherent posts stay for long, and it's not exactly a sign of hate or malice toward the individual for having bad grammar, moreso for the sake of everyone else reading it so they can actually help the person whenever they post a problem or question.
And dyslexia shouldn't really hinder since we've had posters with it, most notably Varlen, who've been active on the forums without any hindrance.
  • Award - Beta Tester
Message me if you wanna play the new exo zombies on xbox one :3

Offline Mik

• [Insert something meaningful here]
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 68
  • Piece o' Piss ya bloody fruitshop owners!
    • DeviantArt - mikunefolf
    • FurAffinity - mikune
    • Twitter - MikuneFolf
  • Fursona Species: Folf
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2010, 03:21:12 pm »

While we certainly consider stuff like this, it doesn't mean that we're going to let incoherent posts stay for long, and it's not exactly a sign of hate or malice toward the individual for having bad grammar, moreso for the sake of everyone else reading it so they can actually help the person whenever they post a problem or question.
And dyslexia shouldn't really hinder since we've had posters with it, most notably Varlen, who've been active on the forums without any hindrance.

Some people with dyslexia can never learn to read or write. Also it depends on what level of severity you have it and if you can actually overcome it. I do understand what you mean though =).

(I dont have it but my sister does and thats what made me think about it)

Offline copb.phoenix

• So long and goodnight
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 114
    • FurAffinity - copb_phoenix
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2010, 04:25:03 am »
@Mik: I have severe dyslexia, and minor coordination problems between the right and left hand sides of my body. Yet, I still take the time to try to check my posts before I post them, and to reread them to make sure they are at least coherent, if nothing else, after they are posted. I am not saying that makes me the general rule to go by, but, to quote one of my favorite Don Bluth movies: If I can learn to do it, you can learn to do it.

@Spaz: ZOMG! I love you more than ever before. While I usually do deal with whoever is typing or asking for help like that, I can't resist the urge to retype their entire post in conversational English. It drives me insane, too. So, yeah, thanks much for this topic.

@People who mix up two letters from time to time: Make sure you slow down when you type something meaningful. It is not uncommon for one hand to type faster than the other in standard position or even if you just use both hands. This can lead to transposing letters from left to right hand, with or without any serious mental problems. For example, you may misspell the word phoenix as pheonix, even though you know better, simply because your left hand is going faster than the right.
  • Flag - turing
  • Award - Beta Tester
Isn't this where...?

Offline Alex Galloway

• The Defender
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 62
  • :D
    • FurAffinity - HaddockWolf
  • Fursona Species: Dracocatwolf, Illogical Tribrid from another dimension
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2010, 06:54:39 am »

@People who mix up two letters from time to time: Make sure you slow down when you type something meaningful. It is not uncommon for one hand to type faster than the other in standard position or even if you just use both hands. This can lead to transposing letters from left to right hand, with or without any serious mental problems. For example, you may misspell the word phoenix as pheonix, even though you know better, simply because your left hand is going faster than the right.
I will do that a lot, but I always check my posts for it. It isn't that hard, so everyone should be able to. And firefox comes with Spellcheck.
"In the end we will not remember the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." -Dr. MLK Jr.
Every person is born a white canvas, and each person we touch, each person we talk to, they impart a shade of their color upon you. and these mixes of colors blend into a unique shade that is you - Alexander (me)

Offline Straitjacket

• The Crazies
  • Yellow Level
  • Candies: 29
    • LiveJournal - tribedragoony
    • Twitter - TribeTheBeast
  • Fursona Species: Beast (Tigerdemon / Dragon Hybrid)
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2010, 03:09:18 pm »
Bad spelling and grammar is annoying, no matter which language it is in. Though I would like to point out that there is a difference between making a mistake, having dyslexia (or something similar) and sloppy writing/text message speak.

The occational mistake is ok, I mean, we are all human, we all make mistakes. But when you see multiple errors in spelling or punctuation, please take the extra minute to go back and fix it.

I agree with Achmed, we all make mistakes. Even the best writers make mistakes. It does not mean that spelling and grammar mistakes is okay, but that it is okay that we can't always avoid them completely. But if we just keep an eye on our own writing, read through the text before posting, and [insert other things that might help you], we can keep the number of mistakes on a minimum.

And about having dyslexia, I have this to say: Do your best, use facilities (if they help), reread what you write, work hard, and good luck!
Having dyslexia does not mean that you can't be at forums and other social media.
(It's a bit ironic how difficult spelling dyslexia can be, when you think about what the word mean.)

I'm not exactly a fan of sloppy writing and text message speak. The lack of grammar and punctuation, unnecessary abbreviation of words, spelling word differently by replacing letters with numbers, etc. They are all things that only makes it harder for others to understand.
Language is one of the most important tools we have, so why not try to use it correctly? Text speak might be faster to write, but according to a study it takes more time to read it. And it is not easy for everyone to understand it either. Here's an example:

"WE GO UR CHECK IN DA MAIL."

Can you understand that sentence? If you didn't, it says "We got your check in the mail."
And there is people who types like that all the time, in e-mails, formal and unformal letters, essays and test/exams etc.
It is also creating trouble for those who don't know that language very well.

Words are spelled the way they are for a reason, to give them a meaning so they can be used in communication.
Grammar is what we use to form sentences with our words, so they can tell even more than one word can alone.
Written language we use to communicate with each other without having to use our voice, so we don't even have to be on the same side of the earth to talk.
So use it correctly and it will serve its purpose, if not, it will create misunderstanding, confusion etc.
I'm confused, oh wait, maybe I'm not.