Author Topic: Who or what made you furry?  (Read 2842 times)

Offline Khazzy

• The loving husky
  • Candies: 0
  • Hello all :P
  • Fursona Species: Husky
Who or what made you furry?
« on: June 25, 2010, 04:45:12 am »
I've always wondered that, I've heard MANY stories from quiet afew people about their entry into the fandom, and I'd like to know, what (or who) made you furry?

Me, I came in practically at birth lol, my parents where never really around and we had a female husky named unimaginatively Huska who took care of me up untill I was 10 *sadface*. I mean, if I wanted something she'd some how know and try to get it for me, I mean I remember wanting a chunk of cheese my mom left on the kitchen counter and I couldn't reach it, Huska came over and rammed herself into the counter to make it fall for me :P She'd also take care of me by keeping me from going places I would be hurt, she would lay at the stairs if I got too close to make sure I wouldn't fall down or she'd watch me while I was outside and if I got close to the road she'd come over and either distract me or try to get infront of me and move me back to the yard ^w^
And basically since the begining I've considered myself an honorary husky and a furry even before I knew the fandom existed (I found the fandom when I was 12 lol)
"Réquiem ætérnam dona eis Dómine; et lux perpétua lúceat eis. Requiéscant in pace. Amen."
~In loving memory mom, I'll never forget.

Offline tibaltfox

• Orange Level
  • Candies: 21
  • TOFUMONKK
  • Fursona Species: Fox
Re: Who or what made you furry?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 04:52:42 am »
Whoa o.o.
That's quite the story!

I just got into it cause I read a lot, and I remember really liking the Redwall series and Watership down, andd one thing lead to another and yeah :3.

I've always loved animals and had plenty around (recently, 5 dogs and 3 cats :3), but I never really considered that a factor.
Trust me. I'm a homosexual a bag of cheese a cult leader satan made of DIAMONDS a doctor a furry.

Behance! (Design and photography stuffs)
This FurAffinity account I never use! (which is generally horribly out of date, ahem)

Offline ShwintyKat

• Orange Level
  • Candies: 18
    • FurAffinity - shwintykat
    • Twitter - shwintykat
    • Weasyl - shwintykat
  • Fursona Species: Meerkat/Deer
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 05:23:00 am »
Way back when I first got on the internet, my only reason for being on was Neopets (I had seen a commercial), and one day I misspelled the URL and it suggested an old Neopets forum (now long gone). There was roleplay and, without even knowing what furries were, I made a furry character and roleplayed her. She was an ethiopian wolf.

From there, after a google search on ethiopian wolves turning up a furry comic, and the later discovery of Suburban Jungle, I found the fandom. And, as it turns out, the co-admin of that old forum and I still keep in touch... because I found him on Furaffinity.

That's right, the guy's been a furry since even before then. I still remember his many dolphin-related images and the fact that he kept in character almost the entire time.

I swear, he was putting out subliminal messages or something.
  • Pride Flag - asexual
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Offline Sparky15756

• Back from the dead!
  • Red Level
  • Candies: 0
  • I have returned. o.o
    • FurAffinity - tglucariosparkylucario
    • The Furry Sanctuary
  • Fursona Species: Wolf
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 05:34:35 am »
I have to blame Coco Bandicoot really, why did her creator have to make so sexy! XD Then I have to blame NightFaux of FurAffinity. >.>

Offline TIGER

• Blue Level
  • Candies: 222
  • :03
    • Twitter - tidaltiger
    • tumblr
  • Fursona Species: surprisingly, not a tiger?
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 06:07:38 am »
I can show you the EXACT place I found the furry fandom actually.
http://furfetchd.furrynet.com/Photos/DollyFursCover.jpg - The mag cover
http://furfetchd.furrynet.com/Photos/DollyFurs01.jpg - Page 1
http://furfetchd.furrynet.com/Photos/DollyFurs02.jpg - Page 2
http://furfetchd.furrynet.com/Photos/DollyFurs03.jpg - Page 3
Be warned though, those are some big files (so you can actually read what it says)
October issue of DOLLY, a popular teen magazine down under here :D
Weirdly enough, I was at a friend's house helping them clear out their cupboards because they were re-painting. During one of our breaks we were flicking through magazines and I came across this article. She joked about how that was my family trying to contact me or something (I've been into animal costuming but weirdly enough never came across furries) and I googled it. So basically, the fursuits. The furry conventions. AnthroCon. MidFur. Fuzzy wuzzy fursuits! 8D
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: she/they
  • Award - Graphic Artist
do your best today! ☀

Offline Nox

• Blue Level
  • Candies: 60
  • Fursona Species: Dingo
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2010, 07:15:26 am »
I have to blame Coco Bandicoot really, why did her creator have to make so sexy! XD Then I have to blame NightFaux of FurAffinity. >.>

As soon as I read that, I looked for the 'like' button, then remembered I wasn't on Facebook :\

I can't even remember what made me furry, but I think it was a mix between a gay male dragon romance story I read on the net (don't ask), and research into one of my....eh....interests. I found Furry Teens the same day I declared myself a fur, so according to my profile information....

Date Registered: July 02, 2008, 04:22:42 pm

I've been a fur for nearly exactly two years. Yay me.

Also, @MangoPaws, That's really cool that they had that in Dolly, I would never have guessed. I think my sister may be on to me now that she might know what the fandom is  :shock:
  • Flag - original

Offline Kambo

• Personally knew Abe Lincoln
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 85
  • True story.
    • DeviantArt - kamboblack
    • FurAffinity - harlan
    • Twitter - kamboblack
    • Weasyl - harlan
    • Unfinished Portfolio Site :(
  • Fursona Species: Grey fox
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2010, 07:49:27 am »
For me, I blame Tora. Really. My alt is based from her originally. She was a malamute with wolf mixed in. She died five years ago, and so, I was really sad. I went on a huge Google search spree, and found out about the fandom a long while later, then immediately proclaimed myself a member. I didn't actually make an account here till last November, so I've technically been a fur for about 3 and a half years.

Sad story, but you know, the fandom helped me move on and deal with life as it comes.
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His
Feel free to PM me, I don't bite! I reserve that treatment for sushi and pretzels.

Fursona References (Kambo and Camille)

Offline Frostclaw

• Orange Level
  • Candies: 6
    • DeviantArt - yonifrostclaw
    • FurAffinity - YoniFrostclaw
  • Fursona Species: fox/lynx hybrid
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2010, 12:25:22 pm »
All that "worgens are for furries" BS in the wow forums. and the ones trying to explain what furry is there.

Offline Jethro

• Engineer
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 179
  • Yeah. Alright. Ok.
    • FurAffinity - Jethro4747
  • Fursona Species: Chow/Collie
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2010, 12:52:27 pm »
Werewolves. When I was like 12, I became absorbed in them. I was always trying  to draw them and write about them, and i remember one day on google images, i found some guy's art gallery and it had anthromorphic art. I then got real interested, and learned what a furry was, but i didnt join until like two years later.

Offline Zeux

• Orange Level
  • Candies: 2
  • Fursona Species: Wolger (Wolf/Tiger Hybrid)
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2010, 02:45:59 pm »
I came upon the fandom by pure coincidince. I was doing a school report on tigers, so I googled it for some images. One picture was anthro, which I found interesting. It turned out to be some guy's fursona. I wanted to learn what it meant, so I googled it. I learned what it was, and eventually came upon Fur Affinity. At first I just browsed art, but I joined the fandom a little later.
"Any tree can drop an apple, but I'll drop the freaking moon."

Offline Seth

• Blue Level
  • Candies: 50
    • DeviantArt - SethMongoose
    • FurAffinity - Safaia
  • Fursona Species: Yellow Mongoose/Reindeer Hybrid
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2010, 03:32:43 pm »
Well I've always been interested in anthro animal, because of the manga I read and the video games I play. Then about 5 months ago, I was on a forum. I had just come back from a hiatus, so naturally, there were several new members. One person that joined was openly furry. He posted pictures of his fursona. (Which was a Sergal) I still didn't know he was a furry yet though. Then one day, I went into the chat thread and saw him talking to people about furries. I was interested in it, so I looked it up and started to consider myself a furry. Then two days later, I found Furry Teens.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 10:28:46 pm by Seth »

Offline zspartancats

• Spartan
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 59
  • I AM A RHINO!
    • DeviantArt - zspartancats
    • FurAffinity - zspartancats
    • LiveJournal - zspartancats
  • Fursona Species: Rhino
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2010, 03:39:03 pm »
I blame Counter strike source. I used to play on Zeo's Zombie server and once in a while someone would spray a Furry tag. I just loved the art style and loved the look of a Half-human and half-animal. I tried to find the furry spray but I couldn't. A couple weeks later I found VG Cats and I was reading The FAQ and it said something about Furry. So I Searched it on Wiki and fell in love with the Furry Fandom.

Offline roland

• Red Level
  • Candies: 3
  • ha!!!! wait what
  • Fursona Species: husky
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2010, 06:27:52 pm »
 my friend intrduced the concept to me and it just seemed to fit. so here i am
..... what *tilts head*.....ohh

Offline Karn Thunderhoof

• 100% Canadian Beef
  • Yellow Level
  • Candies: 37
  • See that "Give cookie" Button up there? Press It!
    • FurAffinity - KarnThunderHoof
  • Fursona Species: Highland Bull
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2010, 07:42:11 pm »
Short and simply, Banjo Kazooie.
If you see me online or want someone to talk to, feel free to send me a message! :3

Offline Schism

• Blue Level
  • Candies: 82
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2010, 08:53:26 pm »
I have to blame the "Goosebumps" book series. Goosebumps featured a lot of stories with werewolves, and other animal transformations. I got into the fandom through interest in animal transformation, and that introduced me to furries!

Yesterday was my one year anniversary of joining the site...so yeah, kinda weird how it all comes together!

Offline Wolf12

• Life is just a dream it's never ending.
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 29
  • I'm not okay I'm crazy!!!!!!!
    • FurAffinity - bangwolf
  • Fursona Species: Gray Wolf
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2010, 09:35:55 pm »
 Anime and plush animal I always liked furry costumes. plush toys. The animal in anime like the half human half animal people that are in some anime. I was like that all my life. My family thinks I am weird :lol-fox:
All you base are belong to Wolf.
it's in the fine print.

my icon is done by Manicsfan.

Offline Duino

• Logical by Design.
  • Yellow Level
  • Candies: 27
  • Stupid by Choice.
    • FurAffinity - Duino
  • Fursona Species: Mandarin Duck
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2010, 10:54:42 pm »
 It's split between three people for me- one for making me this way, and two for showing me it's what I am. First off, there's Roger Rabbit. It's because of him I began taking a serious interest in cartoons, and eventually started wishing more and more for it to be real. So the actual part of being a furry became appealing. I didn't hear about the fandom until watching a YouTube video from the second person, Tilt T. Longtail, that I actually learned what the fandom was, but made the mistake of doing research on Google. That deterred me away from the idea for a while. Thankfully, about three months ago my curiosity persisted and I brought myself to ask a few different furries what the fandom was all about. It's from that I met the third person, Susi, who explained a lot of the stuff I didn't understand and helped me out with the species choice and a ton of other things. I don't really know who's the most responsible, but all of them played a pretty big part in it. In the end, though, I really do owe them all a pretty big thanks.
And that's why they call me Duino Duck- Drake of Daring, Mandarin of Magnificence, Water Fowl of West Seattle!

Offline Daniel Necros

• Apathetic Agnostic
  • Orange Level
  • Candies: 4
  • Oh man, oh man, oh man!
    • FurAffinity - DanielNecros
    • Twitter - DanielNecros
  • Fursona Species: Genetic Experiment (Fox/ Crow/ Elk); Common Tauntaun alt.
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2010, 05:55:45 pm »
I was always more of a fan of books and cartoons with anthro characters than any other things in the same media.  So, I guess you can blame Wil E. Coyote, Balto, and Matthias for my furriness. :P
If you aren't completely P.Od, then you're in a fantasy world!  Avatar by Five: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/ticktock1992/

Offline SymphonicNemesis

• Herbivorous vampire
  • Orange Level
  • Candies: 14
  • Not your usual dinosaur
    • DeviantArt - Shadow-lockheed
    • FurAffinity - Symphonic_Nemesis
  • Fursona Species: Stegosaurus
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2010, 09:34:34 pm »
Kind of always a fan, always tried to draw anthro because I thought it was pretty darned awesome.

But I didn't really become a furry until I tripped over Furaffinity. I started on that site just to post some art. I kept forgetting about it because yah know, I knew no one there! But I started using it more and began to get inspiration, mainly because I like to make costumes. So finally I decided, lets try this furry thing out. And BAM! Been a true blue furry for almost a year and a half!
Not by wrath does one kill but by laughter. Come! Let us kill the spirit of gravity!

Always bring a banana to a party, bananas are good. - the Doctor

Its fine, you can pray for me. I'll just run naked through the woods for you.
FDm3arw A+ C* Dm H++ M! P++++ R+ T++ W Z? Sf-- RLS a- cn+ d! e- f++ h* iwf j++ p+ sf z

Offline Sleek

• MoonMoon
  • Sitewide Moderator
  • Candies: 119
  • Gonna Get The Thing
    • DeviantArt - SleekHusky
    • FurAffinity - Sleek34
    • Twitter - SleekHusky
    • Weasyl - SleekHusky
  • Fursona Species: Huskeh
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2010, 01:26:27 am »
I became furry because I love furry art and stuff. I also love animals and I can't draw humans well at all.
  • Site Donor
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His/They/Them/Their
I try to manage some semi-official gaming events for this forum.
Twitch.tv livestreamer here
FT's Twitch Channel here