Author Topic: Black/Folk/Viking metal.  (Read 987 times)

Offline Saucy_Fox

• Orange Level
  • Cookies: 7
  • Fursona Species: Silver Fox
Black/Folk/Viking metal.
« on: July 18, 2010, 04:17:44 am »
So, anyone else out there appreciate this genre? If so, talk about it here. Just post what bands you like, bands you've found that you think everyone should listen to, album reviews, and other things. I'll just start off by telling you some of my favorite artists. To start out, Moonsorrow would have to be amongst my favorite Viking Black bands. They are, in my opinion, an amazing band. One of my favorite albums by them is Viides Luku- Havitetty. It is a two track album with a 56 minute playtime. The first track is Jaasta Syntynyt/Varjojen Virta (Born of Ice/Stream of Shadows), and the second track is Tuleen Ajettu Maa (A Land Driven Into Fire). If anyone is into the genre, I definitely recommend that album (it's in Finnish btw.) Now I could type about this all day, but I'll type more about what I like later on through the topic as/if it gets active. So tell me, what are some bands/albums that you think are amazing? 

EDIT: Also, if there is anyone who isn't quite touched up on their genres, this is not a general metal topic. This means no death metal, no thrash metal, no nu metal *pukes*, no neo-thrash, just the select genres.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 04:22:55 am by Saucy_Fox »

Offline Frostclaw

• Orange Level
  • Cookies: 6
    • DeviantArt - yonifrostclaw
    • FurAffinity - YoniFrostclaw
  • Fursona Species: fox/lynx hybrid
Re: Black/Folk/Viking metal.
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 06:28:51 am »
Time to start listning to finnish metal now. Moonsorrow is new for me, checking out right now.

I can listen to almost all kinds of metal, but black and all that kind of metal is my favourite.

Most of the bands I listen to are from Finland/Sweden/Norway, but I found a surprisingly good one to be from USA named Agalloch. Check it out

Offline Schism

• Blue Level
  • Cookies: 82
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 10:01:27 am »
I'm kinda wondering what folk metal is...I'm not really into the black or viking genre.

Would you count a band like Cynic or Death as folk metal? I know Cynic incorporates jazz fusion and black metal elements into their music!

Offline Saucy_Fox

• Orange Level
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 01:05:52 pm »
Time to start listning to finnish metal now. Moonsorrow is new for me, checking out right now.

I can listen to almost all kinds of metal, but black and all that kind of metal is my favourite.

Most of the bands I listen to are from Finland/Sweden/Norway, but I found a surprisingly good one to be from USA named Agalloch. Check it out
Yeah, Agalloch is great, I'm thinking of ordering "Ashes Against the Grain" soon.

I'm kinda wondering what folk metal is...I'm not really into the black or viking genre.

Would you count a band like Cynic or Death as folk metal? I know Cynic incorporates jazz fusion and black metal elements into their music!
Death states their genre in the name. They're death metal. As far as Cynic, I'm not quite familiar with them, but what I've heard from my search is that they're not folk metal. Folk metal is usually characterized by an influence of folk music with the presence of metal. It can barely be called one genre, as it has many different styles and influences. An example of Viking Black metal would be Moonsorrow. A great song by them is Jumalten Kaupunki. This type of folk metal generally has an "epic" feel to it. Another type of folk metal would be the "happier" side of folk metal. A great example of this would be the band Korpiklaani (literally "Forest Clan" in Finnish). These guys usually have songs of drinking, legends, other things, and more drinking. Some songs are: Happy Little Boozer (obviously about drinking, in English), and Mett
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 01:07:39 pm by Saucy_Fox »

Offline Acrisuis

• Green Level
  • Cookies: 22
  • SOMEONE needs to love insects....
    • DeviantArt - Pocket-fulla-shells
  • Fursona Species: Insect thing
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 05:48:42 am »
I guess pirate metal and Alestorm would come under folk metal. Alestorm - best Scottish band period

Offline SymphonicNemesis

• Herbivorous vampire
  • Orange Level
  • Cookies: 14
  • Not your usual dinosaur
    • DeviantArt - Shadow-lockheed
    • FurAffinity - Symphonic_Nemesis
  • Fursona Species: Stegosaurus
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 07:59:34 pm »
My two favorites are Amon Amarth and Eluveitie, I saw both live a few  months back.

Eluveitie is folk, not viking.

In the vein of black metal, Dimmu Borgir is okay.
Not by wrath does one kill but by laughter. Come! Let us kill the spirit of gravity!

Always bring a banana to a party, bananas are good. - the Doctor

Its fine, you can pray for me. I'll just run naked through the woods for you.
FDm3arw A+ C* Dm H++ M! P++++ R+ T++ W Z? Sf-- RLS a- cn+ d! e- f++ h* iwf j++ p+ sf z

Offline Saucy_Fox

• Orange Level
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 09:34:23 pm »
My two favorites are Amon Amarth and Eluveitie, I saw both live a few  months back.

Eluveitie is folk, not viking.

In the vein of black metal, Dimmu Borgir is okay.
Amon Amarth is ok, but they don't really apply here. Sure, the lyrics are viking, but the music is melodic death. Also, Dimmu Borgir may be considered "black metal," but amongst many black metallers, they aren't really considered "true" black metal. If you want to hear some more black metal, I suggest you check out some bands like Drudkh, October Falls, Agalloch, Nokturnal Mortum, Fjoergyn, Astrofaes, Hate Forest, Arckanum, Belenos, Black Messiah, Einherjer, Evol, Falkenbach, Festung Nebelburg, Wyrd, and sooooooo many other bands I really don't feel like listing. Tell ya what, if you use last.fm, just type in black metal, you'll see what I mean.
EDIT: Tibaltfox just turned me onto a band called Wolves In The Throne Room, and I am really loving this...
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 10:22:00 pm by Saucy_Fox »