Author Topic: Cell's opinion on "The Sorceror's Apprentice"  (Read 493 times)

Offline Cell

• Green Level
  • Cookies: 48
Cell's opinion on "The Sorceror's Apprentice"
« on: July 18, 2010, 07:12:00 pm »
These are my opinions. I like movies. A lot of movies. Of all sorts of genres, sometimes no matter how bad the films themselves are.

I give The Sorceror's Apprentice three stars. It would've had five. Why?
Well, lets just say that I was satisfied with the concept and the acting. Some of the humor was actually funny,[spoiler]such as the obvious yet subtle Star Wars reference that was seconds later made completely obvious by a second, direct reference by the evil sidekick ("'These are not the droids you're looking for! Hahaha...'")[/spoiler] Some of it was crude and vaguely irritating. Without the cruel presence of Disney, it could have been epic. Five stars from this lover of even the awful was avoided sheerly by the worst kind of comedy (The modern Disney kind) coming in at the wrong points, and an awkward story introduction immediately followed by an equally poorly performed explanation for the current events of the story. The ending also left a bit to be desired and ended on one of those not-so-funny humor notes. Yes, there are parts of the movie where corniness and predictability were completely unavoidable.

However, these bad points only make up 15-20 minutes of the film. Everything sandwiched in between is only affected by the crap a little, making this film worth seeing if you're interested.
There's an interesting explanation of magic by Mr. Cage, as well as some interesting serious plot details that I would have loved to see more of.
I liked this film; but if you're looking for something serious, deep, and captivating, you should spend your money on something else.

And on the Disney note?
Yes, I am aware that it is based on that skit from Fantasia. [spoiler]They even did a mimic of that skit, which unfortunately had that awful, unenjoyable junk mixed in with it heavily. [/spoiler]But that doesn't excuse the comedy and junk that polluted what I liked about it. It could have been a smash like Pirates of the Caribbean (Which I love, by the way). In fact, it would be a nice series, were it pulled off in a similar manner!

Nicholas Cage and Alfred Molina are wonderful. Jay Baruchel and Toby Kebbell were also quite enjoyable. The visual quality wasn't Avatar, but it wasn't a pile of crap by any stretch of the imagination. I'd love to see more of the world that this movie takes place in, minus the corny and cookie-cutter bits that I disliked.
Unfortunately, those minor predictable bits and that dull Disney company humor don't make me too sure that I'd be watching this movie again too soon, or seeing any future sequels were they to materialize. I'm sure to come back to it eventually, but uh... There are plenty of other films on the shelf until my interest comes back.

All of this hence the 3/5 stars.

Less bad humor, more quality to the little that you retain, and more plot and action, please!
Meh.