Author Topic: How'd you choose your fursona's name?  (Read 79230 times)

Offline Renegade-Sandwich

• WHENS MAHVEL?
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 20
  • Dedotated Wam
    • FurAffinity - Renegade-Sandwich
  • Fursona Species: Gryphon العنقاء
Re: How'd you choose your fursona's name?
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2010, 12:43:24 am »
The name? While its not a very appropriate name for a fursona i just think it sounded weird and went with that :lol-fox:
The character was a product of me trying to find a species and thought that an avian sounded cool
(im not a very creative person)

Offline Zenith Decrowe

• Bold as Love
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 42
  • Not a chicken
    • FurAffinity - zeniththecrow
  • Fursona Species: Crow
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2010, 12:47:06 am »
Zenith was the name of an old, non-furry character I made up for a story/comic I was writing/drawing.  I canceled that project many years ago, but Zenith still stuck around until I made a crow fursona and gave the name to him. 

In general terms, the zenith is the direction pointing directly "above" a particular location; that is, it is one of two vertical directions at the location, orthogonal to a horizontal flat surface there.

Copypasted from Wikipedia  :fox-:P:

My secondary fursona, Alsatian, was actually created way before Zenith.  I know it's also a species, but it's also his name.  They started to call German Shepherd Dogs "Alsatians" in WWI because, you know, people kinda hated Germans back then.  Then they changed it back the German Shepherds after a couple of decades for some reason. 
  • Site Donor
And so castles made of sand fall in the sea,
Eventually

Offline Sleek

• MoonMoon
  • Sitewide Moderator
  • Cookies: 119
  • Gonna Get The Thing
    • DeviantArt - SleekHusky
    • FurAffinity - Sleek34
    • Twitter - SleekHusky
    • Weasyl - SleekHusky
  • Fursona Species: Huskeh
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2010, 01:05:32 am »
Sleek, I love sleek things and especially cars :D and one day I was playing Star Sonata and the name came to me and I used it ever since.
  • Site Donor
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His/They/Them/Their
I try to manage some semi-official gaming events for this forum.
Twitch.tv livestreamer here
FT's Twitch Channel here

Offline SpiceyFeline

• Felis Margarita
  • Red Level
  • Cookies: 5
  • I was bought on eBay :c
  • Fursona Species: Caracal
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2010, 09:32:49 am »
I was listening to THIS when I came up with it.
Srs.

Offline Daniel A. Skirtandzy

• Purple Level
  • Cookies: 162
    • FurAffinity - Skirtandzy1
    • LiveJournal - Skirtandzy
    • Twitter - Skirtandzy
  • Fursona Species: Domestic Cat
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2010, 05:07:27 pm »
Hm, thought I had answered this before:

So, when I first joined the fandom, I noticed a lot of furs had just single names for their fursonas. Actually, I did the same thing, myself.
But, I decided that it was too simple and plain for me. I wanted to have a character, and one that was actually named.

I decided on Daniel Skirtandzy (my middle name, and a mixing of my last name).
I decided to abbriveate that to DS, which latter turned into DS Kitteh. Well, After another switch, it was DaS Kitteh (to sound cooler).

At that point, I decided to add a middle initial, and in this case, it needed to be something with an 'A'. After looking around for something good, I found the answer in a book.
To be more exact, a book about left-handedness. I found an appearently biblical greek word 'Aristera' which means 'left'.
Well, that was the lightbulb that went off, and I decided that my full fursona name would from then on be: Daniel Aristera Skirtandzy.

[Wow, I never realized how long a process it was for me to come up with a name]
  • Flag - lawyer
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Site Donor

Offline TIGER

• Blue Level
  • Cookies: 222
  • :03
    • Twitter - tidaltiger
    • tumblr
  • Fursona Species: surprisingly, not a tiger?
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2010, 06:31:43 am »
Wolf is my RL name

Really?
And your 'rents got mad at you for being furry.
and your name is Wolf.
And that made me giggle.

Oh, yes. I forgot to mention Cookie's history, which is just slightly more interesting than Mango's name history.

I have this friend, and she is an 'honorary furry' because she has a fursona. Called HoneyCub. It's like, this lion thing. Yeah. And a mini-partial we made together back when I was going to be a chocolate labrador fursona thing.
ANYWAYS.
We were on hols together and we stopped at an icecream place, and there was this dog that was like a kelpie-labrador, not unlike Cookie.
And it was eating a cookies-and-cream icecream. Like in it's paws and everything.
And we were like .U. OMG that's so cute! And then I got an idea for a coyote-labrador because of the fact I love those animals. And named it Cookies and Cream. Or just Cookie for short.

The end.
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: she/they
  • Award - Graphic Artist
do your best today! ☀

Offline Muishi

• STOP...
  • Yellow Level
  • Cookies: 25
  • ...hammer time.
    • FurAffinity - ianthe
    • Twitter - ianthecc
  • Fursona Species: PANDAHH
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2010, 12:42:13 pm »
For Ianthe: Ianthe is a nymph (of sorts) who was (I think) Posedion's daughter. It sounded all watery and Ianthe IS a pirate. I found it very fitting. The surname Cleopatra was for the Egyptian-ess but she was also quite powerful.

For Luna: Luna is latin for the moon. She's a vampire, likes the moon. Pretty simple. Although, I've forgotten what Elektra meant. I think it was light or an amber liquid...

For Muishi: Muishi sounds like a cuddly sort of name. And I saw it in a: Name a Baby Panda competition. :3
<3Lestat<3

Offline Tyla

• Green Level
  • Cookies: 23
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2010, 12:46:27 pm »

I decided to abbriveate that to DS, which latter turned into DS Kitteh. Well, After another switch, it was DaS Kitteh (to sound cooler).

I had -always- pronounced the name "Das-Kitteh", if that was correct. Das all one word, not letters. :3

Offline Battery

• Zombiesaurus Rex
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 53
  • Name's Ash....Housewares. Groovy.
  • Fursona Species: Lythronax argestes
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2010, 04:56:00 pm »
My first and last name start with the letter "A" so that's were I got the AA in AA Battery.
DeviantArt - FurAffinity - Weasyl - Tumblr - Twitter - Skype: BatteryAcidLeak

Offline Karn Thunderhoof

• 100% Canadian Beef
  • Yellow Level
  • Cookies: 37
  • See that "Give cookie" Button up there? Press It!
    • FurAffinity - KarnThunderHoof
  • Fursona Species: Highland Bull
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2010, 06:12:05 pm »
Basically I got my Fursonas is named after my Grate Dane, Odin. And the last name is just a spinoff of my last name.

Miller = mills.
If you see me online or want someone to talk to, feel free to send me a message! :3

Offline Daniel A. Skirtandzy

• Purple Level
  • Cookies: 162
    • FurAffinity - Skirtandzy1
    • LiveJournal - Skirtandzy
    • Twitter - Skirtandzy
  • Fursona Species: Domestic Cat
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2010, 08:04:03 pm »

I had -always- pronounced the name "Das-Kitteh", if that was correct. Das all one word, not letters. :3

You are right in that pronounciation. 'DAS' is my fursona's initials, but when said, it a single word.
  • Flag - lawyer
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Site Donor

Offline Meadow Whisper (Natasha)

• ᎣᏏᏲ! I'm a horse now! ^.^
  • FT Founder
  • Cookies: 397
    • DeviantArt - lupiniastudios
    • FurAffinity - softpaw
    • Twitter - lupinia
    • Weasyl - softpaw
    • Lupinia Studios
  • Fursona Species: Chincoteague Pony
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2010, 05:33:44 pm »
My furry name evolved over time, so here's how different parts of it came into play.

-When I first decided to get into the fandom, around autumn of 2003, it took me awhile to come up with a name I liked.  I wanted it to be furry-related, and descriptive of me, but not overly long or contrived.  I was really into motorcycles at the time (still kinda am, but I haven't ridden in many years), so "Softail" was the first thing that came to mind because of my relatively gentle personality.  I hadn't discovered the more adult side of the fandom yet (I was such an innocent pup), but I knew enough about the world to know that would probably send the wrong message.  So, on a whim, "Softpaw" came to mind, and I was like "omg yay!".

-Some extensive searching revealed that there was one other person using "Softpaw" (and, at the time, only one), an artist named Kiffin Softpaw.  I still liked the name, though, and I had already used it to sign up on a few websites, so I decided to do what she did:  Put another name in front of Softpaw.  I already had a pen name at the time, because I was very political and wanted to remain somewhat anonymous to protect my career.  So, I simply stuck that name with Softpaw and had my furry name.

-Several years later, the aforementioned artist launched a magazine with "Softpaw" in the title, and suddenly there were a bajillion stupid n00b furries using it all over the place.  What's worse is that a couple of them tried to retroactively claim they were the "original".  So, I started a project to reclaim the name Softpaw for myself, including using it on my con reg badges, registering it on every website I can, and harnessing my SEO skillz to conquer Google results for that search term.

-Shortly after, I finally stopped repressing my gender identity, and had to choose a new first name.  I'm a big fan of the Russian language and culture, so I wanted it to be a Russian name, but still something that Americans would be able to pronounce without butchering it too badly.  And, since I planned to use the name beyond just a furry character, something not-so-ethnic would be preferable for someone who doesn't actually know the Russian language yet.  Thus, I became Natasha Softpaw, as well as frequently using just the name Softpaw.

-Most recently, I developed an alternate character using the species that very nearly became my original fursona species back in 2003, a collie.  And she needed a name.  I tried to be true to the breed's English roots and choose a traditional English name, but those are harder to pronounce than bloody Sanskrit (or they were common American names), and none of them were as elegant as I wanted.  So, I decided to say "screw geographic continuity", stole a name from a completely unrelated character in a story I've yet to finish, and invented a backstory that explained how an English dog was natively Russian.  And so, Svetlana Solovyov was born :-)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 05:35:55 pm by Natasha Softpaw »
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Here is a horse I have made for you:
        |,\_/,\_
 ,-__/,   ,       )kk
.                     \,kkk
 \    ,___....--     \kkkk
           \               \kkkkk
             \               \kkkkk

Note:  I'm no longer actively involved in running this site, so while I welcome any personal messages, please do not contact me about account issues.  Please direct all such inquiries to Panda.  Thanks for all the years of awesome memories and friendship!  <3

Offline Wolf12

• Life is just a dream it's never ending.
  • Green Level
  • Cookies: 29
  • I'm not okay I'm crazy!!!!!!!
    • FurAffinity - bangwolf
  • Fursona Species: Gray Wolf
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2010, 10:23:15 pm »
Wolf is my RL name

Really?
and your name is Wolf.
And that made me giggle.

Yes Mango it is really my name my parents wanted to name something different so they picked wolf.
My second fursona name is Ragna is form blazblue calamity trigger.
Sorry i tried to fix this post but I made it worse.

ADMIN EDIT: Fixed misquote

« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 11:19:21 pm by Hale Laocon »
All you base are belong to Wolf.
it's in the fine print.

my icon is done by Manicsfan.

Offline The Woolly One

• Horns up here.
  • Sitewide Moderator
  • Cookies: 304
  • Hoofies down here.
    • FurAffinity - TinyBabyHooves
    • Twitter - @SheepScientist
  • Fursona Species: Sheep (Finn Dorset)
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2010, 11:16:15 pm »
Wolf is my RL name

Really?
and your name is Wolf.
And that made me giggle.
Yes Mango it is really my name my parents wanted to name something different so they picked wolf.
My second fursona name is Ragna is form blazblue calamity trigger.
Sorry i tried to fix this post but I made it worse.
Fix'd!
I've honestly never heard of anybody called 'Wolf' before. But as long as you are happy with it, that's all that matters right?

As for my fursona's name. I thought of the name Timothy because that is a name I have always liked. I thought it made a suitable first name. I then thought that Freelancer would make a cool surname because I've aways wanted to have wanted to have a self-employed career. I also kind of think it suits my Fursona's "no one is the boss of me" attitude.

I soon realized that Timothy Freelancer was a bit of a mouthful. I then thought that I could use a nickname. I thought of the nickname Gage. So that is how I came up with my Fursona's name.

~Timothy Gage Freelancer
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 06:44:34 pm by Gage »
  • Flag - england
  • Site Donor
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His

Offline Sigurd

• Blue Level
  • Cookies: 78
  • bluh bluh
  • Fursona Species: a gay
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2010, 07:07:01 am »
...I could have sworn I posted in this thread before...

Nevertheless, I honestly don't remember where it came from. My guess is that someone spelled mud wrong and I got a jolly out of it so much that I've kept it ever since. I've had this nickname for so long that I can't remember for the life for me.
  • Award - Beta Tester

Offline Arsenic

• Sniper
  • Red Level
  • Cookies: 8
  • Sniper
  • Fursona Species: Dire wolf/ Maned Wolf hybrid
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2010, 08:14:43 am »
My fursona name is Ryan and thats my name irl. Arsenic is a second name for my fursona that i dont really use.

Offline kibou

• Red Level
  • Cookies: 1
  • Fursona Species: Human?
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2010, 12:53:18 pm »
Kibou was the name of my first character in World of Warcraft

It means hope in Japanese

So when I first got into the Fandom I decided to stick with it

Offline Reep Darksong

• what money? i didnt take no money from you ;P
  • Red Level
  • Fursona Species: Panther
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2010, 03:34:47 am »
Reep was a name i made when i was like 6 and i used the name for everything online games forums w/e and the darksong part of my name came from one of my freinds whos online name in a game i used to play alot was darksong and he passed away in a earthquake and eversince then ive been using his name  for various things
I think im in lesbians with you - Scott Pilgrim

Offline Delato

• What is today but yesterday's tomarrow?
  • Fursona Species: Fox
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2010, 03:12:57 am »
I was thinking of the the Greek Delta. After much editing and revision(mixing up letters and adding different vowels), I decided on Delato.
GT: Adamant Paradox

Offline Kontrol

• Anime-Lover, G33k, and Gamer...
  • Red Level
  • Cookies: 4
  • Script. Sleep. Anime. Repeat.
    • FurAffinity - Kontrol
  • Fursona Species: Wolf
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2010, 03:23:47 am »
My fursona name is kontrol just about everywhere(except where the username was taken by a different person)

I started on Second Life with the name SciGuy Dufaux.  I had to make another account for my alt and testing dangerous weapons on.  I named it Control Core.  I made a script, that I have lost, that would basically control your opponent if they were equipped with a certain scripted object.  I then wanted to play some other fantasy MMORPGs (all of which I have quit since they weren't good).  The name control sounded to modern for fantasy games so I made it Kontrol.  Now the names SciGuy and Kontrol are my top used usernames and Kontrol is my fursona's name. 

Second Life Name:  Kontrol Forsythe
Xbox 360 GT:  FT Control Core
Runescape: Kontrol Keal
Odds that I am bored right now:  83%(Actual number)
If I make alot of grammar mistakes don't shoot me. I am probably using a phone or kindle with a bad key pad...