Author Topic: Ways to save forum space?  (Read 785 times)

Offline Alex Galloway

• The Defender
  • Blue Level
  • Cookies: 62
  • :D
    • FurAffinity - HaddockWolf
  • Fursona Species: Dracocatwolf, Illogical Tribrid from another dimension
Ways to save forum space?
« on: August 07, 2010, 12:36:46 pm »
I was just thinking about it, but we have had some forum issues recently, and I was wondering if getting rid of old/unused threads or unimportant locked threads would help? The only negative impacts I could see would it would affect peoples post counts, but IMO, those aren't that important to me. Its just a suggestion, I don't know about forums/servers so I don't know if this would really help at all or not.

Also, is keeping PM's a waste of space? I still have every PM I have ever gotten on here, as I have never had a full PM box. If it'll speed up FT, I would certainly delete them.
"In the end we will not remember the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." -Dr. MLK Jr.
Every person is born a white canvas, and each person we touch, each person we talk to, they impart a shade of their color upon you. and these mixes of colors blend into a unique shade that is you - Alexander (me)

Offline copb.phoenix

• So long and goodnight
  • Purple Level
  • Cookies: 115
    • FurAffinity - copb_phoenix
Re: Ways to save forum space?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 03:04:15 pm »
Text isn't that bad, dude. Images can be, which is why a lot of things changed on that angle ~ size and quantity are two different,but closely knit problems. And that's why things are being done the way they are for the moment.

There are other concern than strictly space here. The thing ends up at: take it easy on anything that requires the server to work hard... PHP and MySQL things especially. Don't overly refresh a single thread or even the unread replies any quicker than you'd send an email. If you want responses that fast, trade IMs or some equivalent for communication. (Forums aren't meant to be that fast, anyway, even on the social level.)

Most of the most prevalent steps - the ones I would take and that the people I work with would take - have been done already by our site's admin. And, indeed, I've been around for a lot of that, regardless of rank: She does more than you immediately realize or get to see.

Or course, said admin is the authoritative source for such information and who you should listen to over pretty much all of us. However, experience does lend a hand here; my major is Computing in college.
  • Flag - turing
  • Award - Beta Tester
Isn't this where...?

Offline Hale Laocon

• Blue Level
  • Cookies: 84
    • FurAffinity - halelaocon
  • Fursona Species: Dog (Germ. Shep)
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 10:42:20 pm »
Forum space isn't really that big of a concern :) If it ever got to a critical point then we'd likely announce it, but keeping old PM's definitely doesn't affect the server's performance, it's just the constant refreshing and posting-after-immediate-posting that screws it up. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry
  • Award - Beta Tester
Message me if you wanna play the new exo zombies on xbox one :3

Offline Meadow Whisper (Natasha)

• ᎣᏏᏲ! I'm a horse now! ^.^
  • FT Founder
  • Cookies: 397
    • DeviantArt - lupiniastudios
    • FurAffinity - softpaw
    • Twitter - lupinia
    • Weasyl - softpaw
    • Lupinia Studios
  • Fursona Species: Chincoteague Pony
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 10:14:57 pm »
This has pretty much been addressed, but I wanted to reinforce what Hale said. Volume of information stored in the database is of no concern when it comes to performance, because it's just text, and databases are inherently efficient for text storage.  Database size does become a concern once it grows to a specific point, but the number of posts would have to grow 10x before I would even start to think "Huh, maybe we should do something about this".

Private messages are similarly inconsequential when it comes to site performance, because they're stored the same way as posts.  HOWEVER, we have had issues with people sending PMs so rapidly (and refreshing the site to check for responses) that they basically monopolize the server.

So, think of it this way:  Data stored on the server doesn't meaningfully impact the site's performance, but the server can only support a finite number of page loads per second.  If you care about your impact on the site's performance, what you can do to help is to simply be mindful that our server's request-handling software is not infinite, and you're not the only one using it at any given time.  We're not even the only site on this server.

And if you don't care about your impact on the site's performance, we'll be happy to make you care.
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - transgender
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Here is a horse I have made for you:
        |,\_/,\_
 ,-__/,   ,       )kk
.                     \,kkk
 \    ,___....--     \kkkk
           \               \kkkkk
             \               \kkkkk

Note:  I'm no longer actively involved in running this site, so while I welcome any personal messages, please do not contact me about account issues.  Please direct all such inquiries to Panda.  Thanks for all the years of awesome memories and friendship!  <3