Author Topic: Emotionally Powerful Songs/Music Videos  (Read 22893 times)

Offline Daniel A. Skirtandzy

• Purple Level
  • Candies: 162
    • FurAffinity - Skirtandzy1
    • LiveJournal - Skirtandzy
    • Twitter - Skirtandzy
  • Fursona Species: Domestic Cat
Emotionally Powerful Songs/Music Videos
« on: August 09, 2010, 04:14:13 pm »
Ok, so I have been thinking about this for a little bit, because a few weeks ago, I heard a piano cover of Tim McGraw's 'Don't Take the Girl' :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBc7qeyfq28

The lyrics of it, are really neat, but also really sad.

Then, while looking up some music, I came across Martina McBride's 'Concrete Angel':
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtNYA4pAGjI

And this one, I cannot watch the video without feeling a few tears come to my eyes.

One of the great things about music, is how it can change your feelings.
So, what songs do you guys listen to that can really bring a change to your mood.

These ones, like I said, are sad songs, but they do not need to be only sad songs.
Anything, whether it makes you sad, beeming with happiness, or anything else, is what I am looking for.
  • Flag - lawyer
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Site Donor

Offline Kambo

• Personally knew Abe Lincoln
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 85
  • True story.
    • DeviantArt - kamboblack
    • FurAffinity - harlan
    • Twitter - kamboblack
    • Weasyl - harlan
    • Unfinished Portfolio Site :(
  • Fursona Species: Grey fox
Re: Emotionally Powerful Songs/Music Videos
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 04:24:47 pm »
Josh Groban. Anything he's done. Just so uplifting.
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His
Feel free to PM me, I don't bite! I reserve that treatment for sushi and pretzels.

Fursona References (Kambo and Camille)

Offline Schism

• Blue Level
  • Candies: 82
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 04:59:22 pm »
Don't even get me started

For sad songs:

Porcupine Tree's "My Ashes" "Stop Swimming" and "Don't Hate Me".
Alice in Chain's "Nutshell". It's acoustic, and very sad. The meaning of the song isn't too clear, but the lyrics are still powerful
Buckethead's "Electric Tears" Instrumental, very quiet and spaced out
Dream Theater's "Repentance" A song about asking for forgiveness

For angry songs:

Tool's "AEnema" "Stinkfist" "Ticks and Leeches" and "Intolerance". Basically hatesongs at their finest
Dream Theater's "Honor Thy Father" A hatesong about family members

For happy songs:

Porcupine Tree's "Lazarus" "Trains", and  "Time Flies" Nostalgic-sounding songs, could even pass as love songs
Dream Theater's "Solitary Shell" and "I Walk Beside You" The first one is about autism, but still has an upbeat feel.

I didn't link them because a lot are sort of hard to find. But, it's very worth it!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 08:17:02 pm by Schism »

Offline Nox

• Blue Level
  • Candies: 60
  • Fursona Species: Dingo
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 05:37:26 pm »
Four songs that hit my heart are;

My Immortal - Evanescence
Broken - Seether Ft. Amy Lee
Horizons - Parkway Drive
Lonely Day - System of a Down

My Immortal and Broken remind me of a girl I know, and that I've always loved...she moved across the country, and even though we've reconnected in the last year, she's still so far away from me.

Horizons is possibly my favourite Parkway Drive song, the way he screams "Horizons" at the end is just so heartfelt. I don't know if anyone else hears the emotion in it, but I do.

Lonely Day is one of the only songs apart from My Immortal that can nearly make me tear up. The song is about SOAD guitarist Darrian Malakian's brother dying in a house fire, and the simple, almost childlike verses of the song "Such a Lonely Day, and it's mine. The most loneliest day of my li-i-i-fe." is just so sad. This one also reminds me of that girl, but not as much as the other two. My favourite line from that song is "And if you go, I wanna go with you. And if you die, I wanna die with you. Take your hand and walk away."
  • Flag - original

Offline Tyla

• Green Level
  • Candies: 23
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 07:34:44 pm »
"These Walls" by Dream Theater has always seemed to poke at me time to time. I love to listen to it, but I notice it impacts me most when I am feeling caged in by fear or something, don't want to speak up and complain for the sake of others regardless of my own opinion.

"Wither" was another one, a similar impact to These Walls, except... well, sometimes problems clear up and time heals it.

"As I Am" is one of these songs which, the way I hear the lyrics, say "I am myself, and you cannot take that from me" and "If you're trying to change me, take me as I am - forget your plan". I think the whole idea of my interpretation/link with the song is pretty much easy here.

"Octavarium", as an album or not - for some reason I can't help but see a resembelance with some of my personal views. I won't go into detail, but "Start, continuum, end" are three words that work with it.

"Hero of War" by Rise Against got me emotional, sympathetic I guess? I've never agreed with war, violence and the likes, and you'd be hard pressed to get me even hold something intended as a weapon with the smallest amount of pride/power. But this is mostly me not understanding it completely down to the heart - considering my emotions, there must be something about the song that gets me, though.

"Resistance" by Muse seemed to have a poke at me too - this was a pretty interlinked song between me and a very close friend of mine, and I fondly remember spending a while on learning this song, not much to say unfortunately. :p

"A Toute Le Monde" by Megadeth had this really... weird feel to it. I prefer not to take life seriously - it makes things more difficult in my perception, it makes me feel like shit... but at the end of the day, there's a time when we've got to die, and that's inevitable... but hey, the spirit carries on. Sorry, I just had to throw a Dream Theater quote in there. xD

"Valentines Day" by Linkin Park really does put me in a pretty, "That song is fucking beautiful" state - I don't really have much to do with the songs lyrics, but for some reason, despite the words themselves, I guess it's true I'm a lonely person, and while I look at all this relationship bullshit... I do feel a need to get into a relationship, someone close I can have in real life.

This stuff is kinda down to lyrical work, but I'm sure that mix of lyric and the instrumentation has an impact... perhaps I'll add more, 'cause I'm forgetful, but I'm sure a lot of artists such as Lostprophets, Metallica, Motorhead have had some emotional impact. I can even name some now - Can't Catch Tomorrow, Nothing Else Matters, Ace of Spades...

Offline zspartancats

• Spartan
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 59
  • I AM A RHINO!
    • DeviantArt - zspartancats
    • FurAffinity - zspartancats
    • LiveJournal - zspartancats
  • Fursona Species: Rhino
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 07:55:24 pm »
You'll be in my heart by Phil Collins.

Offline Cell

• Green Level
  • Candies: 48
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 08:22:45 pm »
I'll throw a few of my personal ones in here.

Dido's "White Flag"
Reba McEntire's "Fancy"
Melissa Etheridge's "I Run for Life"
John Meyer's "Heartbreak Warfare" makes my stomach sink,
and finally, Eminem's "Stan" (interestingly enough, ft. Dido).

I don't know about everyone else, but all of these get me a bit.
Meh.

Offline Duino

• Logical by Design.
  • Yellow Level
  • Candies: 27
  • Stupid by Choice.
    • FurAffinity - Duino
  • Fursona Species: Mandarin Duck
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 08:36:48 pm »
"S
And that's why they call me Duino Duck- Drake of Daring, Mandarin of Magnificence, Water Fowl of West Seattle!

Offline EnriqueTSB

• Champion of Sombreros!
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 52
  • This exactly fills the limit of this text box yay!
    • FurAffinity - enriquetsb
    • Twitter - enriquetsb
  • Fursona Species: Jaguarundi
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2010, 04:40:13 am »
Hero of War by Rise Against was one of the most memorable songs to get any strong emotional reactions from me.  It's just such a heartfelt, sad song.  It took me a while to be able to even sing through it without breaking down.

Cherish, by Ai Otsuka, and Wolsik, by Tabu, both always get to me even though I can't understand the words.  Mostly because of the videos I first saw them in (Draw With Me and There She Is Step 4, respectively)

Prayer for Danny, by Matthew Ebel.  The first time I listened to it paying attention to the words, I almost cried.  While in the car with my brother and younger cousins playing around in the back seat.  It was that intense.  (And it's a song based on a furry comic, too)

Boston, by Augustana, is another good sad one.  Especially if you're in a "I just need to get out of here" mood.

I'll definitely have more soon.  I know too many angry/energetic songs, so they don't really stand out to me as much as the sad songs.
  • Award - Beta Tester
"Everybody walks past a thousand story ideas every day. The good writers are the ones who see five or six of them. Most people don't see any."
--Orson Scott Card

Offline Harimaura

• An Artist
  • Red Level
  • Candies: 2
  • Hiya!
    • DeviantArt - closetpoet111390
  • Fursona Species: Rare Gryphon
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2010, 03:36:49 pm »
"Here Without You" - 3 doors down - a sort of sad song all about being separated from the ones we love

"The Winner Takes It All" - ABBA - a sad song about admitting defeat and losing everything, really heartbreaking when Meryl Streep sand it in
         Mama Mia

"One World" - Celtic Woman - an emotionally and intellectually stirring song about tollerance and acceptance of others.  IMO very inspirational.

"Orinoco Flow" - Celtic Woman - a very energetic, triumphant, and jubilant song that can really get your heart racing and just makes the listener
   want run around and jump into the air and never come down (especially when played loudly, :)  )

"Everybody's Free to Wear Sunscreen" - PMC Allstars - Okay, not REALLY a song... but very inspiring, motivating, and uplifting when in a bad
   mood.  I highly recomend that everyone listen to this at least once in their lives.
Harimaura - but you can call me Mara for short!

a.k.a.
Sandra - But we don't talk about her!

Offline Kambo

• Personally knew Abe Lincoln
  • Blue Level
  • Candies: 85
  • True story.
    • DeviantArt - kamboblack
    • FurAffinity - harlan
    • Twitter - kamboblack
    • Weasyl - harlan
    • Unfinished Portfolio Site :(
  • Fursona Species: Grey fox
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2010, 12:23:01 am »
Sure, it's probably clich
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His
Feel free to PM me, I don't bite! I reserve that treatment for sushi and pretzels.

Fursona References (Kambo and Camille)

Offline Sui Generis

• I strive for immortality.
  • Red Level
  • Candies: 2
  • So far it's going well.
  • Fursona Species: Cat
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2010, 07:46:46 pm »
"Gota" by The Real Group is a great song for getting in a tranquil mood.

"Letter from Home" by Pat Metheny has a weird combination of sad and hopeful that it conveys.

"Way of the Fist" by Five Finger Death Punch is a great hype song.

"Superstition" by Stevie Wonder and "September" by Earth, Wind & Fire always make me feel happy.

"Que Ser
The most important thing to remember on the internet is to have a thick skin because accidentally burning your fingers on your computer is no fun at all.

Offline Ruslan

• Yellow Level
  • Candies: 36
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2010, 10:34:03 pm »
"Day After Tomorrow" by Tom Waits- Disillusionment, memories and the hope for coming home by a soldier.
"The Times They are a Changin' " by Bob Dylan- This warrants no explanation, the music speaks for itself.
"All These Things That I've Done" by The Killers- If you cant hold on, hold on.
"Firefly Theme Song" By Joss Whedon/Sonny Rhodes-  Burn the land and boil the sea
                                                                                       You can't take the sky from me

"Living With War" by Neil Young-  So very sad, so very true.
"Square One" by Tom Petty
"The Light At The End" by Martin O'Donell- A piece of music that makes you feel utterly alone without a single word. 
"Hurt" by Johnny Cash- One of the last songs the legend recorded before he died, it's bitter and sad on a stirring note.
"The Man Who Would Speak True" by Blitzen Trapper-  Truly remarkable songwriting comes together to tell the story of a troubled mans tumultuous travels.   

Offline Tyla

• Green Level
  • Candies: 23
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2010, 08:07:13 am »
To add to my post (Because I can't seem to edit it), Another Day and Take Away My Pain. Yeah, more Dream Theater, but those songs really get me. And that solo in Another Day is just so grahhh!

Offline GMoney

• Im me. Are you you?
  • Red Level
  • Candies: 10
  • Im me, are you you
  • Fursona Species: Arctic Fox
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2010, 11:52:21 am »
"Here Without You" - 3 doors down - a sort of sad song all about being separated from the ones we love

"The Winner Takes It All" - ABBA - a sad song about admitting defeat and losing everything, really heartbreaking when Meryl Streep sand it in
         Mama Mia

"One World" - Celtic Woman - an emotionally and intellectually stirring song about tollerance and acceptance of others.  IMO very inspirational.

"Orinoco Flow" - Celtic Woman - a very energetic, triumphant, and jubilant song that can really get your heart racing and just makes the listener
   want run around and jump into the air and never come down (especially when played loudly, :)  )

"Everybody's Free to Wear Sunscreen" - PMC Allstars - Okay, not REALLY a song... but very inspiring, motivating, and uplifting when in a bad
   mood.  I highly recomend that everyone listen to this at least once in their lives.
You get a cookie for listening to Celtic Woman

Your Love Is Just A Lie by Simple Plan
Londondarry Air/Danny Boy. A sad song about a boy who goes to war
The Green Fields Of France by Celtic Thunder. A sad song about a boy who died in WWI
Christmas 1916 by Celtic Thunder. Another song about WWI
Brothers In Arms by Celtic Thunder. Yet another war song
Notte Di Luce by Il Divo. A beautiful love song that'll make anyone cry
Nights In White Satin by Celtic Thunder. English Translation of Notte Di Luce
She by Celtic Thunder. A beautiful ballad
Thats A Woman by Celtic Thunder. An epic duet about two men's views on women
Let Me Be Myself by 3 Doors Down. Need I explain?
Das Tir In Mir by E Nomine. It makes me feel animalistic. Here are the lyrics:

4. Wolfen (Das Tier in Mir)

Dunkle Wolken und finstere Gedanken die Vollmondnacht zerbricht meine Schranken. In mir kommt die Gier auf Getier das ich massakrier. Ich sp
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 12:46:18 pm by GMoney »
The names Bond, John Bond XD

• Purple Level
    • Twitter - Skirtandzy
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2010, 03:10:01 pm »
American Triangle- by Elton John
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3eT_1UmPPQ

The song is about Matthew Shepard, who was murdered back in 1998, because he was gay.

The whole song is good, but one of the best lines in it, in my opinion was:
'Three lives drift on different winds. Two lives ruined, one life spent.'

It shows how when people do thoughtless things like that, they not only hurt those who they target, but themselves as well.
  • Flag - lawyer
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Site Donor

Offline Luke Fox

• Green Level
  • Candies: 28
  • Lol :V
    • FurAffinity - cooljoe224
  • Fursona Species: Red Forks
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2010, 07:40:10 pm »
art is dead. (Mature Language)

• Purple Level
    • Twitter - Skirtandzy
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2010, 12:43:53 am »
Prayer for Danny, by Matthew Ebel.
(And it's a song based on a furry comic, too)

What comic is that?
I know the song, but I did not know that about it.
  • Flag - lawyer
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Site Donor

Offline Ruslan

• Yellow Level
  • Candies: 36
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2010, 12:48:38 am »
The Band Played Waltzing Matilda - John McDermott
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VktJNNKm3B0&feature=related
(ignore the video, just listen)
Cry every time I hear this, it rings not just true for that first of wars most terrible, but all wars.

Offline EnriqueTSB

• Champion of Sombreros!
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 52
  • This exactly fills the limit of this text box yay!
    • FurAffinity - enriquetsb
    • Twitter - enriquetsb
  • Fursona Species: Jaguarundi
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2010, 01:24:27 am »
Prayer for Danny, by Matthew Ebel.
(And it's a song based on a furry comic, too)

What comic is that?
I know the song, but I did not know that about it.
It's based on Associated Student Bodies, which has the main character Danny struggling with coming out to his very religious family as one of its major subplots.  That's the part the song is based on
  • Award - Beta Tester
"Everybody walks past a thousand story ideas every day. The good writers are the ones who see five or six of them. Most people don't see any."
--Orson Scott Card