Author Topic: "Friday the Thirteenth"  (Read 854 times)

Offline Cell

• Green Level
  • Candies: 48
"Friday the Thirteenth"
« on: August 13, 2010, 10:11:03 pm »
No no no, not the cheesy horror film that we all know and love.
I couldn't find a similar topic, so here goes... (Mods: Please, if this is in the wrong place or something, do what needs to be done.)

Today is Friday the Thirteenth, hailed by many as an unlucky day full of unlucky things.
So, here's what I want to discuss:
Spilling salt, walking under ladders, breaking mirrors, opening umbrellas indoors, and having black cats are supposedly unlucky.
Horseshoes, finding four-leafed clovers, &c. are supposedly to be lucky.
What I want to know is this: What do you think of luck/superstitions? Do you heed them? Do you mock them? Are you indifferent?
How would you handle if a black cat walked across your path?

Feel free to add some superstitions to the list, and please, give your opinion/position.
Meh.

Offline The Woolly One

• Horns up here.
  • Sitewide Moderator
  • Candies: 304
  • Hoofies down here.
    • FurAffinity - TinyBabyHooves
    • Twitter - @SheepScientist
  • Fursona Species: Sheep (Finn Dorset)
Re: "Friday the Thirteenth"
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 10:20:28 pm »
Wrong, it's now Saturday the Fourteenth here in England (but I guess you Americans have two hours left). My day was like any other. I also do not believe in any superstitions.
  • Flag - england
  • Site Donor
  • Pronouns: He/Him/His

Offline Schism

• Blue Level
  • Candies: 82
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 10:23:26 pm »
Woah.

Did not realize today was Friday the Thirteenth. The weird thing is, just two hours ago, I was in the bathroom (yeah >.>). I look outside the window, and there's a black cat sitting on a rock outside. Like, 4 feet from the window. If I had known it then, I would've been freaked out. But, I just ran outside and chased :3

Offline Seth

• Blue Level
  • Candies: 50
    • DeviantArt - SethMongoose
    • FurAffinity - Safaia
  • Fursona Species: Yellow Mongoose/Reindeer Hybrid
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 10:30:10 pm »
I actually don't believe in superstitions. I kind of laugh at them sometimes. I've actually had a black cat walk across my path before, and nothing happened.

Offline TIGER

• Blue Level
  • Candies: 222
  • :03
    • Twitter - tidaltiger
    • tumblr
  • Fursona Species: surprisingly, not a tiger?
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 10:38:57 pm »
Well, yesterday was friday 13th, and I left my assignment at home even though I CLEARLY remember putting it in my bag, my iPod died- the firmware just shut itself down entirely- and my best friend's older sister had a car go through the back of hers. I was standing just a little way away.

So yeah, I do believe that weird stuff happens on the 13th. .__. Or that I was just randomly really unlucky.

My mum is very superstitious (sp?). She won't let us have shoes on the table, won't go near black cats, and never lets me walk under ladders for fun. :c

I don't really believe in the silly good luck/ bad luck charms though, but they're cute stories anyway.

EDIT: Lol straight after I posted this it started raining. it's been sunny all day ._____. What does this tell me.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 10:59:02 pm by MangoPaws »
  • Site Donor
  • Pride Flag - gay
  • Pronouns: she/they
  • Award - Graphic Artist
do your best today! ☀

Offline Jethro

• Engineer
  • Purple Level
  • Candies: 179
  • Yeah. Alright. Ok.
    • FurAffinity - Jethro4747
  • Fursona Species: Chow/Collie
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 10:39:48 pm »
If I spill salt, I do the toss over the shoulder. If I find a four leaf clover, I honor its rarity. Otherwise, I dont care about anything else. A black cat walked past me on the street yesterday, and I ended up having a GOOD day. Also today was pretty good.

Offline Santi

• Nosebleed Panda
  • Yellow Level
  • Candies: 31
  • I need more dreams ; And less life
    • DeviantArt - Akeeto
    • FurAffinity - Santiyume
    • Twitter - PridelandsPanda
    • Santi's Youtube
  • Fursona Species: Red Panda
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 10:48:18 pm »
I don't believe in any of that XD
I normally do stuff like open an umbrella inside to make my dad go " D8!"
I cried tears you'll never see.
So fuck you, you can go cry me an ocean,
And leave me be

Offline Zenith Decrowe

• Bold as Love
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 42
  • Not a chicken
    • FurAffinity - zeniththecrow
  • Fursona Species: Crow
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2010, 10:50:27 pm »
Well, I HAVE a black cat and it crosses me at least 10 times a day, so I generally don't believe in bad luck that much.  Much of those superstitions sound like safety concerns at the most.  Breaking mirrors, opening umbrellas indoors, walking under ladders, etc sound like things you shouldn't really do in the first place.  I'd like to believe in good luck though, so I do those things just for the hell of it.  I keep a four leaf clover in my wallet, throw salt (if I can), but nothing really happens when I do or don't do those things.  To me, it's all garbage. 

There's tons of superstitions in my state though...  You have to ask permission to the spirits before you walk on a mountain or do your business on it.  You can't take or move lava rocks if you find them.  I totally believe that one though; I've heard a lot of stories about tourists taking the rocks and they end up buying tickets back here just to put them back.  There's this rather funny one about taking pork with you when you travel the H3 (one of the freeways here).  When you have pork with you and take it down the H3, you supposed to take it out of the car and leave it on the side of the road for the menehunes (some other types of spirits or something).  Actually, the entire H3 is haunted I think.  They paved over the burial grounds of ancient Hawaiians.  A lot of construction workers died building that highway.  There's enough superstitions here to literally fill books upon books about it, so I'll stop here. 

tl;dr:  I don't believe in (traditional) bad luck, but would like to believe in good luck.  The only bad luck I believe in is the local ones in this state. 
  • Site Donor
And so castles made of sand fall in the sea,
Eventually

Offline Wolf12

• Life is just a dream it's never ending.
  • Green Level
  • Candies: 29
  • I'm not okay I'm crazy!!!!!!!
    • FurAffinity - bangwolf
  • Fursona Species: Gray Wolf
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2010, 10:51:31 pm »
I don't believe in superstitions my friend owns a black cat I see him all the time and nothing bad has happen to me I walked under a ladder again nothing happen.
All you base are belong to Wolf.
it's in the fine print.

my icon is done by Manicsfan.

Offline Sulphur

• Green Level
  • Candies: 27
    • DeviantArt - SulphurTea
    • FurAffinity - Sulphuric
    • LiveJournal - SulphurTea
    • Twitter - Sulphurtea
  • Fursona Species: Spotted Hyena
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2010, 10:52:39 pm »
I don't believe in superstitions, but I'm one of those nerdy science obsessed Darwin worshippers so that is to be expected :b
Plus I have a black cat who crosses my path multiple times daily and nothing extremely horrible has happened since we got him, not to mention I've both walked under ladders and broken mirrors a few times before, and used to purposely step on cracks and open umbrellas indoors as little kid so I don't really see much credibility in some of those claims. It's only bad luck if you really read into and over-analyze everything.

Offline Santi

• Nosebleed Panda
  • Yellow Level
  • Candies: 31
  • I need more dreams ; And less life
    • DeviantArt - Akeeto
    • FurAffinity - Santiyume
    • Twitter - PridelandsPanda
    • Santi's Youtube
  • Fursona Species: Red Panda
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2010, 10:56:34 pm »
I have two black cats :3
I saved my second one from a shelter that was going to put him down, for the soul reason he was black, so I obviously don't believe in that XD.
I cried tears you'll never see.
So fuck you, you can go cry me an ocean,
And leave me be

Offline Luke Fox

• Green Level
  • Candies: 28
  • Lol :V
    • FurAffinity - cooljoe224
  • Fursona Species: Red Forks
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2010, 11:03:30 pm »
I do believe the salt thing, I don't care about going under ladders though, and If I saw a black cat I would just go up and snuggle it. :3

Today was more of a bad luck day, due to a laundry basket falling on me many times, internet being crappy, and my laptop crashing right as I was typing this post.

Offline Hale Laocon

• Blue Level
  • Candies: 83
    • FurAffinity - halelaocon
  • Fursona Species: Dog (Germ. Shep)
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2010, 11:09:09 pm »
Definitely indifferent, and any form of negativity actually occurring is probably just a result of a paranoid placebo effect in conjunction with a self-fulfilling prophecy. So long as it doesn't get to you, nothing bad should happen.
Hopefully. >>;
  • Award - Beta Tester
Message me if you wanna play the new exo zombies on xbox one :3

Offline Frostclaw

• Orange Level
  • Candies: 6
    • DeviantArt - yonifrostclaw
    • FurAffinity - YoniFrostclaw
  • Fursona Species: fox/lynx hybrid
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2010, 04:21:59 am »
People being afraid of friday 13th probably was the reason there were no queues in the amusement park. So it's a good day, people that believe in it stay away from you.