Author Topic: Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater  (Read 412 times)

Offline Schism

• Blue Level
  • Candies: 82
Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater
« on: September 08, 2010, 10:35:06 pm »
Today is a day that is going to send shockwaves across the metal and drumming community.

Mike Portnoy, founding member of Dream Theater, has left them. He felt his heart was with his side projects, such as Avenged Sevenfold.

http://www.mikeportnoy.com/forum/m2585154.aspx

This is sad news, Mike Portnoy was one of my idols...his work with Dream Theater, just no one could replicate it. And, Dream Theater is planning on going on without him. Who could replace him?

I saw Dream Theater on July 10, 2010. That means, I saw Mike Portnoy on his last tour with DT. And, it was his last club show with them. This is something I never expected...

Offline Tyla

• Green Level
  • Candies: 23
Re: Mike Portnoy leaves Dream Theater
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 11:16:34 am »
Yikes, that's very unexpected. He's very brave for going through with the decision though, and it's well worth wishing him luck in the future anyway.

Offline Daniel A. Skirtandzy

• Purple Level
  • Candies: 162
    • FurAffinity - Skirtandzy1
    • LiveJournal - Skirtandzy
    • Twitter - Skirtandzy
  • Fursona Species: Domestic Cat
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 11:49:24 pm »
Ok, this makes sense to me.
I saw someone talking about this elsewhere, and they had said that 'Monty Python has left Dream Theatre'. Not knowing if 'Dream Theatre' was some stage or what have you.
So, obviously, I was scratching my head over that, but this clears it up.

I cannot say that I have heard of the band, but hopefully the manage to stick it out after losing the founder.
  • Flag - lawyer
  • Award - Beta Tester
  • Site Donor

Offline Acrisuis

• Green Level
  • Candies: 22
  • SOMEONE needs to love insects....
    • DeviantArt - Pocket-fulla-shells
  • Fursona Species: Insect thing
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 08:22:25 pm »
It was actually quite depressing when I found this out. I never saw it coming - I feel that replacing his actual drumming will be the least of Dream theater's problems now - his spearheading the band, and, well, his zany personality is going to be a bigger issue really, for as talented as Mike Portnoy is, there are a lot of wonderfully skilled drummers out there