Author Topic: Resident Evil: Afterlife  (Read 421 times)

Offline Cell

• Green Level
  • Candies: 48
Resident Evil: Afterlife
« on: September 11, 2010, 12:14:06 am »
I just got back from seeing this movie, and I'm gonna break it down for you with zero spoilers(or as close to zero as I can get.)

The movie starts out with the regular introductory stuff, slight recap, etc. Alice[Milla Jovovich] narrates throughout the first half at different intervals.
It picks up right where Extinction left off, and ties up a couple of loose ends regarding the clones and Alice's plans to take vengeance on Umbrella.
Within the first 20 minutes, a major, very unexpected plot twist is thrown right in there, and it kinda makes you wonder how the rest is gonna play out.
New characters are introduced, a couple of old ones come back, and we see some more integration with the games. This integration, however, (concerning Las Plagas, the Executioner, and certain other elements) is re-imagined for the films, though it is in a very agreeable and creative way. Very satisfying. A few good plot twists occur throughout the film, and there are still those expected suspenseful parts that make you jump if you don't know what's about to happen.

Wesker, Alice, Chris, Luther, and Claire are all brilliantly played. The adoption of recent game elements into the film is not stale whatsoever, because the essences seem to be there while the execution and back story is altered specifically for the film. The combat and visual effects are pleasing, and there are those couple of parts where someone cocks a one-liner(I promise they're pretty good ones, though). The plot twists were favorable all around. For once Jovovich's character doesn't hog all of the action, which made for some really cool scenes and spotlight shifting.

I went with two friends, one of whom does not like the series. She admitted that it was a great movie, and she would definitely come to watch if the series continues(That's the only major spoiler I'll give you: It ends in another cliffhanger).
I've seen all of these movies, and I can say that this is my favorite.

If you like these films, I highly recommend that you see this movie(It's worth it, even if you have to pay extra for the ridiculous 3D fad!).
If you dislike the films because you just didn't like the previous films, I encourage you to give it a shot. My friend who hates this series really liked it.
If you hate the films because you're a purist about the games and you find them to be heathen bullcrap... Go watch it. It's a great re-imagining in a different Resident Evil canon, and should be appreciated.
This is easily the best of the films in this series.
Cell gives it a 10/10.

...And I managed to spoil relatively little. :)

I'd also like to add that it IS rated "R" for a reason: There's the usual blood, violence, heads being blown apart, and about a twenty minute block where you'll hear around seven F-bombs dropped. There's also some other scattered(though minor) cursing at various parts. If that's not agreeable to you, you'll wanna find a different movie or try to deal with it, whichever works.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 02:38:21 pm by Cell Sheppard »
Meh.